PDA

View Full Version : Do you display your figures with the vehicles? And if so...

bigbarada
06-19-2007, 12:34 AM
do you consider some of the modern rereleases of vintage vehicles to be adequate substitutes for some of the pricier vintage vehicles?

I've spent the last 6 years looking for a vintage Tatooine Skiff that is complete and at a price that I am willing to pay. However, every time I see one, they usually cost hundreds of dollars. So I'm thinking that the POTF2 rerelease of the Skiff is an acceptable substitute for my collection.

The same goes for the B-Wing and other vehicles like the Sandcrawler, Millenium Falcon, etc.

The A-Wing would be on that list too, if I hadn't stumbled upon a great deal for a vintage loose one a couple of years back.

JON9000
06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
An important wrinkle to this is the fact that a modern release of a heretofore only-available-as-vintage vehicle almost always wnds up bringing the price down on the vintage companion. Vintage A-wings and skiffs used to be insanely expensive. While still pricey, I don't think they command the premiums they used to, and I can only peg that to a lot of people being satisfied with the modern versions of those vehicles. I know I am!

vader121
06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Items such as the Skiff, Shuttle, Bwing, Awing, and even the At At are very nice in the modern era and are more than suitable replacements for the vintage pieces in my opinion.

I only need a few vintage pieces myself but am not too confident I'll ever get a Skiff, Awing, Ewok Battle Wagon, etc. at a decent price. However their is a nice replacement for the Ewok Battle Wagon that was made in the Robin Hood series but I haven't been able to find that one either complete. Found one at a garage sale once and almost flipped out until I noticed it was the Robin Hood version minus a whole bunch of pieces.

stillakid
06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
My stuff isn't out :( but most of the modern pieces are identical if not surprisingly similar to the vintage. Comparing my vintage to moderns, most of the new versions are much more accurate to the movie. An exception to this is the vintage AT AT which had some better features than the newer one.

On the whole, most of the newer stuff wins, but it often doesn't matter. One problem though is that the vintage foot pegs in the playsets and vehicles are not compatible with the smaller holes in the modern figures.