PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Action Figures!

Tycho
02-07-2002, 02:08 AM
Well it looks like Art Assylum is going to bring life back to Star Trek collecting. Their reputation seems great, so let's see what they can do.

We're going to see

1) new figures from Enterprise with Captain Archer and crew

and

2) figures from the new Star Trek movie - which stars the Next Generation crew, but also Captain Kathryn Janeway! This should be interesting!

I for one hope to see justice finally done to Deep Space Nine's Dominion Wars. The most awesome experience in episodic television ever!

I also hope they are the same size and compatable with Playmate's figures. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I've been reading about these toy makers at Art Assylum, and they seem to really CARE about what collectors want. So who knows?

Anyone else have more info on this they can share?

JediTricks
02-07-2002, 02:18 AM
The figures will be 7" scale, and will be sold with or without backdrops just like AA's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" line. There's a lot more talk about this on the figures.com forums, but what I'm really excited about is 12" electronic ships.

bigbarada
02-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Cool!

I've seen the new uniforms for the film and they look great (much cooler than the spandex tights or casual sweatsuit from the series). I can't wait to see figures of these.

2-1B
02-07-2002, 12:26 PM
bigbarada, where did you see the uniforms? I would like to check them out. Thanks :)

bigbarada
02-07-2002, 03:13 PM
TNN had a Star Trek "marathon" last weekend and they showed what looked to be scenes from the next film. However, it could have been scenes from a previous Trek film. The last one I saw was Insurrection, I don't know how many have been made since then.

LTBasker
02-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Did the uniforms look kinda like the older ones? They may have just shown scenes from an episode with future Starfleet peeps like maybe some scenes from 'All Good things' part 1 or 2.

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 01:07 AM
Ok, pics of 3 figures of the first wave have appeared on Figures.com:
http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=101&show_article=48

I'm really unhappy with the lack of quality articulation, including a lack of hip and mid-bicep articulation. Sure, the sculpting is great, but T'pol is a bridge officer where she sits most of the time, what the heck?!? And it's not like the ball-jointed shoulders or the standard knees and elbows are that well-hidden, so there's no excuse for this.

Tycho
02-09-2002, 01:29 AM
[My opinion changes half-way through this post - as I first started writing when I clicked on JT's link (thanks) and then started looking at close-ups of the figures...]

(11:43 PM - I first see the group shot of 3 of them...)

Dang - these actually look really good to me! I'd be stoked to collect them! Count me in. It will be good to get back to Trek (though not for the wallet!)

I'm disappointed that Trip isn't in the first wave though. He's by far my favorite character on Enterprise.

The aliens look great though. The Sulibaan Sillik and Klang - a nice Klingon figure.

(11:46 PM - I start looking at the close up pics)

Jedi Tricks, you are right. T'Pol's articulation is terrible - especially the lack of waist articulation. That she can't sit? Well, a bridge playset for figures this size has been too much to hope for in the past (Playmates). I am not optimistic it will be any different with this company.

Oh dear... The Sillik figure - a major bad guy - and he has no articulation at the elbows and NONE at all at the legs...??? I'm hoping these are concept prototypes for Toy Fair, and the sculpts will be cut up to make separately jointed parts once they go into production for the fall. PLEASE Tell Me These Are Prototypes!!!

Klang looks the best - but he's still a statue. The hair blowing effect is very cool and makes him look alive, but even if they articulate his legs because these are prototypes, they will have to go with a cloth skirt bottom to his tunic, or the articulation will be pointless.

11:50 - I have serious reservations against buying these unless I see improvements in articulation. I do plan on opening them up and posing them in scenes from "Broken Arrow" with Reed and T'Pol restraining Klang (or trying to) and Jonathon Archer fighting Sillik. Uh yeah....that's really going to happen. And some time I might just want them standing straight up like they are here.

But these are not really any better than what Applause did for Star Wars. I'm not into Statues....

Thank you for not wasting the license Art Assylum....

LTBasker
02-09-2002, 01:49 AM
This ain't exactly...smart. I mean, Playmate's 6" figures hardly sold, granted they didn't have alot of detail, but at least you could play with them....more or less. (I really wanted to see a whole Captain line like the 6" Sisko w/ Defiant chair...)

Well, I gotta hand it to them, I didn't think it was possible... They made T'Pol worse than she already is. Look at the head sculpt, it's kinda cartoony and not detailed very well...

Klaang looks like they took the face sculpt from the 13" Klingon warrior that was released as one of the last Playmates Trek items.

Silik, well....could be better.

True these could be in a prototypical stage especially since they began work not long ago.... but I haven't got high hopes for the new Trek figures, especially since the Gene/Kirk 6" pack was canceled. :frus:

They should've stuck with the 4.5" scale with the articulation...they'd sell at least and they could most likely easily get in better detail than Playmates did, even though they got in pretty fair detail. :)

Hopefully the ships will be better. :zzz:

Obi-Don
02-09-2002, 02:17 AM
I never got into collecting ST figures but these look OK. I hope that they bring out more ships. I would collect these.

Tycho
02-09-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
[B]
They should've stuck with the 4.5" scale with the articulation...they'd sell at least and they could most likely easily get in better detail than Playmates did, even though they got in pretty fair detail. :)

[B]

How I totally agree!

But, I was willing to give this a chance... before I saw them I was at KayBee Toys busy buying Jabba's Skiff Guard 3 packs for 5 bucks each. For my dioramas, and even E2 scene's background aliens, they could be quite useful.

Well I happened to find the whole DS9 7" wave and picked up enough to do the Dominion War with, as they were only $1.99 each.

I got Worf from the Next Generation / First Contact assortment, as he is perfect to accompany my cherry-picked Captain Sisko, Lt. Cmdr. Dax, and Chief O'Brien - all from which I had a selection of. Then I got 3 Cardassian Soldiers (a figure I wish they'd made for the 4.5" line) and 3 Jem Hadar Warriors. I'm going to embelish on a scene from "The Search" when the Jem Hadar boarded the Defiant and the crew defended to the last man standing! (Worf wasn't really part of the crew then, and the Cardassians weren't allied with the Dominion at the time either - but it will look good because I can POSE them fighting however I want. (and I got them all for just $20.00!)

The problem is their weapons and accessories for the most part suck. The crew has no weapons, just ship furniture (though they include nice pieces) so fortunately Worf, being part of a different collection, has some Klingon Weapons that Dax might also use, while the Jem Hadar might use a Klingon weapon or a Cardassian one, conveniently appropriated from a recent kill. Oh well... I'm going to check my 4.5" Trek and see if any of their guns are out of proportion on the large end of the scale.

Meanwhile, I want all this because the Enterprise figures are going to be big, and I wanted my favorite show (DS9) to stand out at least as much in my Trek collection. Enterprise is a good show, but I haven't seen enough to rank it yet. My supposed Trek ratings from Favorite to "Just liked a lot" are:

Deep Space Nine
Voyager
The Original Series
The Next Generation

I don't know where Enterprise will fit in on this list, but likely not better than DS9 or Voyager. I responded to the dark, gritty war and ongoing story very well on DS9 - especially the recurring cast. I related to Worf as he grew up on this show, as well. And on Voyager, I identified with the characters, especially Tom Paris, while Tuvok and next Harry, were very familiar to me. Finally, I liked B'Ellana 'cause she was the hottie on the show for me. I like passionate, aggressive women.

Meanwhile, as you can tell I'm passionate about Star Trek, but I'm just not too into these new Enterprise figures unless they make some serious changes to the articulation, and accessorize them appropriately!

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 08:15 AM
Tycho, the figures will come with backdrops, most likely of their bridge stations... (technically, AA will release the figures with the backdrops, then lower the price and release the figs w/out backdrops a few weeks later - see AA's recent "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" figures backdrops, VERY detailed) ... so if I'm right about the backdrops being sections of the bridge, the figure will have a mini-playset that she won't be able to sit at thanks to a lack of hip articulation.

Silik is gonna be just like the CTHD figure of Lo (http://www.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=22901&domain=figures.com&dom=fig&domain_id=4), aka - the loser of the bunch who gets less articulation and less accessories. Take a look at the whole CTHD line of figures they put out: Figures.com's reviews of all 4 (http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=22900&domain=figures.com&dom=fig&domain_id=4) and you'll see a similarity between these production items and the Trek figures we're seeing - I don't think these are prototypes.

As for Klaang, what the hell is the point of making a figure that has all this dynamic angry hair if the character spent 9/10ths of his screen time unconcious on a bed in sickbay? There's a very strong chance you won't see any articulation at the hips at all, but I can guarantee you if they do, the lower "skirt" won't be cloth, it'll be stinky cancerous vinyl. ;)

BTW, it was "Broken Bow", not "Broken Arrow".

Basker, it's interesting you mention that large-sized Klingon from playmates (it was in a boxed sub-line that also had a ridiculous-looking over-vicious Borg, but I don't think either were 13" tall, more like 8 or 9 IIRC), Art Asylum, before they actually produced toys, was the sculpting firm who designed those monsters of Trek. I read somewhere that Digger (head of AA) wanted more blood and gore for the Klingon and was disappointed when Playmates shot that down.

As for keeping them in the Playmates scale, AA specifically didn't want to do that. They have some official-sounding reasons that seem like they are trying to do us a favor, but really, as far as I can see, it's just marketing to keep us buying when they remake figures Playmates has done. Personally, I wanted figures like Capt Archer to "beam in" to my Enterprise Playset... now if he does, he'll look like a giant. :frus:

I really want the ships to be great, but almost as important as being great is being made of quality materials. I'd hate to have a toy like the Enterprise be too brittle to really play with or be too rubbery to hold its shape - that's my biggest nightmare here. When MAC did the Futurama line, they included the Planet Express Ship as one of the figures in a series of figures and their figures are notoriously brittle, so I was afraid they'd have this same problem on the ship, but they just barely kept the plastic quality out of the danger zone and the toy is great.

That leads me to another concern, I've heard that AA's CTHD figures are made of materials that don't stand up to realistic play (remember, these are TOYS still), I just hope that when the figures, ships, and role-play toys come out, that AA has found better materials to use than those in CTHD.

Obi-Don, I too want lots of great Trek ships. That's one of my passions in life, the Playmates line of Trek ships (and the Hasbro versions for SW called "Collectors Fleet"). A perfect scale for ships that can't hold action figures.

Tycho, they did do a Cardi soldier, I believe, in the DS9 line. I hated that part-cardboard furniture from that 6" wave, the all-plastic stuff was great though. As for accessories, I suggest using the ones from the 4.5" figures, the "Voyager" style phaser (rounded shape with all the grip-ribs on the lower half) was sculpted too big, as was the Cardi pistol and I think that Mak'bar (is that the right name? The half-bat'leth that came with DS9 Worf) was too.

LTBasker
02-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Btw, the Riker and Picard 6" action gimmick doo-hicky thing figures came with extra phasers, well not really extra, but Riker can't hold anything but that rifle and Picard looks odd unless he's sword fighting with the Q figure that was released in that line.

I wonder if AA = Hasbro....I mean, it seems that mostly all the toy companys (except ToyBiz and a couple others) are really being stupid with their toys.

So let me get this straight, AA's excuse to not wanting to do 4.5" figures is because they consider this a "favor"? Bah! A favor would be releasing better posed and detailed toys to be in in sync with the Playmates figures so that while we could interact al the figures, they could show off their greatness with their quality and the quality of Playmates.

Why exactly is Klaang being released in the first wave? Granted he was in the pilot and his name is mentioned in other episodes, he's still just a minor character and did nothing but get shot by an okie with a plasma shotgun.

I can see it now:

Star Trek action figure theatre:
When articulation clashes!

<Archer> "T'Pol, what's going on? It's like our joints have been removed!"
<T'Pol> "I don't know, Captain. It is logical to assume that I can sit down if I...wait no, maybe if I raise my shirt-"
<Archer> "Klaang, what are you doing here?!"
{giant beam of light happens}
<Sisko> "Mr. Worf, where are we?"
<Worf> "It seems we have gone further back in time than we planned, I don't see any tribbles!"
<Archer> "Who are you?! And why do you have joints???"
<Sisko> "You don't have joints? Well I'll just take command of this vessel... Oh and Worf, you don't have to hide this time, you're inconsistent so you'll fit in."
{Sisko pleasurely sits down in the Captain's chair as Worf and him enjoy a nice relaxing show of Dax doing the macarana using her articulation and laughing at the non-jointed "new millenium" Star Trek figures.}

Tycho
02-09-2002, 02:39 PM
I didn't like them going to the 7" size in the first place, and all you can do with the TNG figures that size is "First Contact" - whereas I set up a Borg diorama with the 4.5" figures fighting in sort of a "Best of Both Worlds" diorama, so as far as I'm concerned for a display - been there, done that. If I could do my choice scene from First Contact (mine and most people's favorite TNG movie), I'd do the ship-walk fight in the spacesuits, though I don't think they made all the characters for that. I should have bought to customize when they went on clearance, but at the time I couldn't stomach 7" figures that had no playsets or vehicles.

Like my 5 foot Blockade Runner I designed and actually built for my Star Wars figures, I designed several pages worth of vehicle and playset toys for the 4.5" figures. I submitted them to Playmates at the time, with a marketing strategy that included a partnership with the TV stations that owned the DS9 episodes in syndication. I suggested showing the programs during the after-school time slot and while allowing the show - especially the Dominion War - catch on with kids or young viewers, market the toys as an ACTION LINE with all kinds of ships and vehicles.

I even designed the DS9 Station - it would have resembled the actual movie exterior and featured most of their sets, but been scaled down to be about the size of the GI Joe Terror Dome and only feature the upper docking pylons (not working or inhabitable by the figures - just for aesthetic purposes) and replace the lower ones with the display base "landing gear." The interior hub basically had just two levels with a turbolift that took you from Quark's up to OPS. Plenty of plastic missle firing accessories bordered the "uninhabitable" docking ring, but back inside the center, there was room for a sickbay and Odo's office with a prisoners brig.

To play with this, I had a Klingon Bird of Prey ship which could only seat 1 to 3 figures (there were 2 different designs I made so it could be adapted to their favored cost) and I went on to have a Romulan Scout Ship, Jem Hadar Fighter, Borg Scout Vessel, Hirogen Hunter Vessel, Vidiian Harvester Ship, etc. For Next Generation I even had a sickbay playset for Beverly, which also featured a laboratory where you could "fix" Data or "Cut the link" to Locutus of Borg.

Basically, they told me to get represented by a toy broker (a patent lawyer / representation firm) and that they were probably not interested anyway, as there "were going to be some changes in the way we'll be handling our Star Trek license."

It's a shame - I even had Action Series 2-packs to get obscure figures out there, and keep the crew available. I had Worf vs. Duras in the "Reunion" pack, and even "Ripley" Janeway vs. the MacroVirus" from "Macrocosm." Riker went against the Romulan Tomaluk, Picard vs. Ferengi Damon Bok - I would have considered Ru'afo from Insurrection, but it wasn't out back then - plus I wanted to make sure the second figure was an alien, since most of what Playmates started producing was recycled HUMAN sculpts.

It's funny, but they put out Harry Kim vs. Species 8472 after I had sent them those ideas. That was a great pack! (Though I orignially envisioned these carded, similar to the new Joe two-packs that are coming out now.)

Anyway, THAT was what I hoped I would get in a Star Trek line.

Now back to reality....

:mad:

Beast
02-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Hopefully they do a better job with the Star Trek license then Playmates did. I was looking forward to the First Contact line, even though they stupidly changed the scale of the line. Then when the figures came out, I was even more upset. The figures couldnt hold their accessories at all for one. They gave us the main charecters, Zephram Cochrane, Lily, and a Borg Drone. No bloody Borg Queen? No Borgified Data? What the hell. And when they finally did release the Borg Queen in the regular Star Trek line, she was back in 5 inch scale, and couldnt be used with the regular First Contact Figures. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

vulcantouch
02-09-2002, 04:36 PM
. . .bring back trek mms (http://www.artasylum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000037), dammit! :cool:

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 07:43 PM
The "First Contact" figures are definitely not this tall, they're gonna be at least a whole inch shorter than the AA figures.

Playmates totally dropped the ball with the Trek license towards the end - changing the scale, removing articulation, making exclusives - it became a disaster. Luckily, we had a lot of great years before all of that.

I was thinking about this last night, I have the Racing Champions Bird of Prey and Enterprise-A, I want to see Trek MMs back, yes, but I also want a line of Trek Die Casts. The SW Die Casts are all really cool and good and hefty, a Trek line with capital ships and shuttlecraft and scout class vessels -- that'd be IT for me. The Racing Champs ships are pretty nice, but they're pewter so they're flimsy, we need something that can tade a little handling without bending.

AmanaMatt
02-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Aside from the lack of decent articulation, the new trek figures look great! Maybe my expectations aren't as high, but the detail is fantastic!

Playmates released some good figures but the line was, at times, inconsistent; I can never forgive the neon colored accessories!

LTBasker
02-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Tycho, you oughta do what they told ya to do and start your own toy company then buy up Hasbro. :D

JediTricks
02-15-2002, 02:12 AM
Well this is just confusing, EVERY bridge officer figure in "deluxe" packaging (that means it's the exact same figure but with a display base) comes with their bridge stations with chairs, but none of the figures appear to have hip articulation. Are they gonna do a soft vinyl outer clothing or are they gonna just have the figures displayed standing up?!?

Here's the figures.com Toy Fair coverage:
http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=29307&domain=figures.com&dom=fig&domain_id=4

I really like the look of the role play accessories, and even though the Enterprise ship toy appears about 20% smaller than the Playmates ones, it looks really great and I can't wait to get it.

LTBasker
02-15-2002, 02:43 PM
Last night on I think Entertainment Tonight or something they had a clip with some guy doing come coverage at Toy Fair and they showed the Enterprise stuff (missed the Star Wars stuff by a few seconds). I saw the display backgrounds, they're nice, but stupid as they do have chairs but the figures are only supposed to stand, either that or make some reclining chairs for'em. From the coverage the guy from AA was trying to gloat about the articulation and it was so funny, he picked up Silik and was just rotating the arms and acting as if they were the first ones to discover arm articulation!

good shot jansen
02-15-2002, 03:08 PM
but for me..........BRING BACK MICRO MACHINES (http://www.artasylum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000037) DAMMIT

:Pirate:

Tycho
02-15-2002, 05:50 PM
I've been closely looking at these pictures of the figures now, and slowly writing this post as I "discover" things.

The EVAC suit Trip figure - the first of my favorite Enterprise character, has KNEE ARTICULATION! As does the Andorian.

I am wondering if the earlier figures we saw either:

1) were prototypes

or

2) had the articulation so well-hidden by superior sculpting that we just couldn't see it.

If you look at Trip's knee joints you'll notice that were his left leg not bent, you would never know that EVAC suit was articulated at the knee. I'm wondering what other POSITIVE things we don't know about these figures just yet. (Well, there's two I'd buy, LOL - and I'm digging the awesome bridge playset - plus we can do the scene where Captain Archer and Trip rescue Klang from Sillik with the deluxe Aliens pack from Broken Bow! Whao! Cool!)

Archer's Wave 1 Figure is Knee-articulated too....

This is getting better... (whoever shot the Malcolm Reed pic though never heard of a flash bulb?)

Sillik might be knee articulated, but there's no improvement on the body unless he's made out of that material "Stretch Armstrong" figures used to be made of [because Sillik has genetically enhanced Sulibaan abilities...] Cool idea maybe, but right now, I still think this is a statue....groan.

T'Pol might have V-crotch articulation - might if it's really well-hidden. She now bends at the knees, so why not. I could have sworn that the earlier pic we were shown of her didn't even bend at the knees. If AA is articulating these figures, there is no doubt they are showing off the sculptures first. Then making toys out of them...

Klang the Klingon is fully articulate. There are minute painted joints in the elbows, knees, the bottom of the tunic looks like vinyl - so he'll be fully poseable at the hip / leg joints as well (as compared to restrictions made on the Hasbro Jedi Duel figures) and Klang might be articulated at the waist.

Travis is fully articulate (though it's hard to tell in the dark) and Nice Phase Pistol!

I'm collecting these! Please make donations to the "Let's Keep This Star Wars / Star Trek Fan Out Of Poverty Fund." But I will accept large pieces of nicely-developed real estate in Southern California if you prefer not to send money....

Jayspawn
02-18-2002, 12:16 PM
The Toy Fair pictures sucked. They're all dark and we can't see much of them.

Anyways, I'm patiently waiting for Art Asylum to make Original Series figures. Episode themes side characters like Koloth, Edith Keeler, Cyrano Jones, Khan, or Balok would be petty cool.

AmanaMatt
02-20-2002, 02:07 PM
over at artasylum.com, reps there confirmed on the message boards that the figures will be able to sit in the chairs. Coming from the horses mouth, so-to-speak.

Digger, Pres (and CEO, I guess) stated their stuff is always in a state of improvement right until it ships to the States.

Also, I have heard that while the new Enterprise is 12" in scale, they want to do the other ships in scale to each other...sweet, if they pull it off (they said that the smallers ships may be packed together to justify the price)

I can't wait! Goodbye neon accessories...:D

LTBasker
02-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Well that sounds better than them being under articulated, but I still hate the 6" scale... :frus:

Jayspawn
02-20-2002, 05:15 PM
This is good to hear. It would be illogical for them to come with chairs they can't sit in.

JediTricks
02-21-2002, 02:52 AM
I'm glad to hear Digger confirmed it, that's really cool. He could use better materials in those replacable hands though. ;)

I like the idea of the ships, but a shuttlecraft would be smaller than the average Micro Machine compared to the 12" Enterprise (my guess is the size of a small screw), so I hope they also do an MM-sized line where scale is unimportant.

Basker, I'm afraid it's a 7" scale, not 6", but we got no choices on this except to buy or not to buy.

AmanaMatt
02-21-2002, 02:53 PM
for everyone: just keep in mind this was from the web site and since I'm new there, I'm still learning who is, in fact 'officially' an inmate...take everything with a grain of salt until those pics are posted showing them seated. But, the online inmates (as they're called) have given the fans over there hope

FYI, I'm 'man named Gorn' over there

LTBasker
02-21-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Basker, I'm afraid it's a 7" scale, not 6", but we got no choices on this except to buy or not to buy.

It still ain't 4.5". ;) I'll get'em mostly just for that Enterprise dio, cause it's pretty well done from what I saw, I would really like to get a Voyager, Ent-D, Ent 1701, Ent-E and Defiant bridge set. :D

Tycho
02-22-2002, 03:03 PM
I'd like to see small ships like shuttles made for the 7" figures.

Accessories are what make the Star Wars line for me. For Trek, that is exactly the reason why I thought they should stay at the 5 1/4" scale, or whatever size Playmates made the carded figures. - Not to mention compatability....

I'll keep dreaming.