PDA

View Full Version : Wave 5 in Hi-Res

SirSteve
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
For those of you who don't check our news... (shame on you if you don't):

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=943

Tycho
06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
I checked our news. I saw pictures of Star Wars figures.

I hadn't thought I'd buy some like Pre-Cyborg Grievous and Yoda on the Kybuck before, but now I think I really want them.

About the only figures I think I'm turning down are the KOTOR stuff.

I have to say it looks pretty good, Steve!

figrin bran
06-26-2007, 12:20 PM
On the carded pic, Yoda looks like he's in the Old West, ready for a quick draw gun slinging showdown. :p

I'm getting all of them as i have this wave on preorder but might get extras of some of the figures.

Ji'dai
06-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Yoda & Kybuck would probably be a Deluxe figure in a movie year. Bubbles on the Yoda and Odle look huge. Don't want Anakin or Hammerhead, but I'll definitely get the rest. Seen all the figs in the first three waves so here's hoping my luck holds out on this one.

darko666
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
the new figures are looking good, def want to get the KOTOR figures. Anakin is the only figure that is bad in this wave. i see no reason why they had to make the Clone Wars cartoon version of Anakin into that. not to mention the picture on the card is ridiculous.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm really glad that they decided to scrap the weird-looking non-metal C-3PO they showed at CIV for this new one. I really like the card on that figure. This wave looks freakin' awesome!

Edit - below, Daddypants mentioned customizing Anakin. I think this figure could easily be repurposed into an "I just had a nightmare" Anakin figure as I doubt Hasbro will do that one.

Jargo
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Darth Malak.... oh dear lord.

loving Roron and Kybuck. Hermi and 3PO (salacious looks a little weird with his pose specific legs) Starkiller looks fine, Revan is a pass. Anakin, good and bad. the arms are a let down to the rest of the figure. not one I'm keen on but may pick up for customising purposes.

and ty for the pics steve.

Old Fossil
06-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Hermie is looking better than the previous images I've seen. Still not sold on the KOTOR or Anakin figs. I'm waffling on the Starkiller hero now, and Roron Corrobb looks great!:thumbsup:

bigbarada
06-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Hermie looks awesome! He has a Jim Henson-esque quality about him... meaning that he looks like a character that you would have seen in those old Jim Henson movies, not that Jim Henson looks like a drooling bag of meat.

Head-Humping Salacious Crumb just looks so wrong the way that packed him in that blister.lol

Nothing else interests me here.

darthvyn
06-26-2007, 03:21 PM
why is corrob holding a McConcept lightsaber?

bigbarada
06-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Anakin is the only figure that is bad in this wave. i see no reason why they had to make the Clone Wars cartoon version of Anakin into that. not to mention the picture on the card is ridiculous.

They went a little overboard with the body double.:D

Qui-Long Gone
06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I couldn't think of what about Corrob drove me nuts because I was looking forward to the figure....

It's the eyes....why did they (re)move him so far from the the species...

kool-aid killer
06-26-2007, 09:56 PM
I get the feeling this wave might be hard to find around my neck of the woods. The only one i would tab as a peg warmer would be the Threepio figure. The rest look good and seem like they could be popular.

Jargo
06-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm just gonna paint over those eyes. make em same as Momaw's.

Umbra
06-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Did Malak get a groin kick in KOTOR that I missed or something...cause wow at those eyes, how can the ppl at hasbro not see how ridiculous he looks

though i may just buy him anyway to support EU figs.

figrin bran
06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
I couldn't think of what about Corrob drove me nuts because I was looking forward to the figure....

It's the eyes....why did they (re)move him so far from the the species...

I'm just gonna paint over those eyes. make em same as Momaw's.

Roron's eyes are like that because that's how he looked in the animated series. Take a gander at my avatar and you'll see.

I'm one of the few (but proud) KOTOR devotees on this board but even i have to admit that Malak is awful. I will repaint those eyes for sure.

On the other hand, i'm going to buy several Revans just to customize. Perhaps several Rorons too as it would be nice to have a jedi body that could accomodate some of the larger alien heads (like Ask Aak)

Phantom-like Menace
06-27-2007, 12:00 AM
I have to say, naysayers say nay over and over again as you will, despite my earlier prejudice toward the idea of making Revan, he doesn't look too bad (again cue the usual naysayers), and I've warmed considerably in the idea of having him.

Did Malak get a groin kick in KOTOR that I missed or something...cause wow at those eyes, how can the ppl at hasbro not see how ridiculous he looks

Yeah, I'd love to see what he's looking at that elicited that reaction.

darko666
06-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I'd love to see what he's looking at that elicited that reaction.

perhaps this (http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7126/1069tb2.jpg)

Kill Solo
06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
All the Clone Wars figures are interpretations of the CW cartoon.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Roron's eyes are like that because that's how he looked in the animated series. Take a gander at my avatar and you'll see.

I'm one of the few (but proud) KOTOR devotees on this board but even i have to admit that Malak is awful. I will repaint those eyes for sure.

On the other hand, i'm going to buy several Revans just to customize. Perhaps several Rorons too as it would be nice to have a jedi body that could accomodate some of the larger alien heads (like Ask Aak)I think the difference in the hammerhead eyes is that Momaw Nadon looks like he is almost asleep, while Roron Corobb has his wide open.

Malak looks fine other than the eyes. All the other figures look all right. I'll be getting them all.

JediTricks
06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Hermie looks like Hermie, but I hate the shoulder joint they're showing on the carded shot, it's flat and undetailed and it's gonna gap like a fiend when it's used.

3PO looks really disappointing, just the ROTS body and that awful light gold chrome color it suffers, and the eye looks totally wrong, and the green looks terrible on here.

Roron looks lame, and the cardback art's eyes don't remotely match the cartoony eyes of the figure, which I don't care for - why do "realistic" figures from Clone Wars and then make them look cartoony??? Pick a direction!

Yoda & Kybuck does nothing for me, but it doesn't look that bad. I wonder if the figure can actually sit on the animal though.

Shirtless Anakin is hilarious, the cardback photo is just so ridiculous. The nude upper torso with universal-jointed shoulders and elbows actually work pretty well here, but it's not an interesting figure. The head doesn't entirely work, the eyes both painted and sculpted wonky.

Revan doesn't do anything for me, he's not bad but he's not very SW. There's something kinda artless about this one. I don't get why his saber is borrowing from Obi-Wan's saber looks either.

Malak is hysterical, his jaw is too big and his eyes are HUGE - they're too funny! He's using the same saber as Revan, but his off saber hilt looks cool. I don't like how the figure is plain and tapers down in an unpleasant way. The cardback art photo doesn't represent this same character very well, it's much more interesting.

Pre-Cyborg Grievous' coins don't match his name or each other, that's weird. The figure looks decent, interesting, not very SW though.

Starkiller Hero, the coin says "Luke Starkiller". The figure looks better loose than I expected, but the head is WAY too big and the purple costume sculpting and color doesn't match up well enough to the art. I like the rebreather.

bigbarada
06-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Starkiller Hero...the head is WAY too big

Actually, your wrong there. If this figure is intended to represent a girl who is roughly between 5'2" and 5'6", then the head is about the correct size. I know there is an artistic standard for what a "proportional" human should look like; but you will rarely find any real person who matches that standard.

figrin bran
06-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I think all the headgear is fooling JT into thinking Starkiller's head is larger than it actually is. :p

JediTricks
06-29-2007, 12:25 AM
My sister and mother are both between 5' 2" and 5' 4", their heads don't extend to the middle of their shoulders, no woman I've ever known has a head that big. The McQuarrie artwork doesn't have the head going out that far either. And the figure really has its melon that big, I saw it in person, the pics show it.

AmanaMatt
06-29-2007, 02:24 AM
This wave is all about Hermie and Starkiller for me....I will pass on the rest....I may get one Yoda!

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Darth Malak is shocked at something Darth Revan ordered Destro to do.

Qui-Long Gone
06-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Darth Malak is shocked at something Darth Revan ordered Destro to do.

....poinson the nachos?

figrin bran
07-24-2007, 01:31 AM
On another SW collecting site, someone posted a pic of a prototype for the Concept Grievous and he's nearly as tall as McQuarrie Chewie!

jedi master sal
07-24-2007, 04:27 PM
On another SW collecting site, someone posted a pic of a prototype for the Concept Grievous and he's nearly as tall as McQuarrie Chewie!

links man, links!

Battle Droid
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1970243&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=5&vc=1

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I have to say it's rare when a character goes from unimpressive to more unimpressive....

Why do people like Grevious? Without his Bada$$ stint in the animated Clone Wars that character is more useless than Boba Fett and Dath Maul combined...

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I have to say it's rare when a character goes from unimpressive to more unimpressive....

Why do people like Grevious? Without his Bada$$ stint in the animated Clone Wars that character is more useless than Boba Fett and Dath Maul combined...
The infinite promise of imagination. Basically, no matter how lame he behaved in ROTS, the character still looked cool and hinted at better things.

DarkArtist
08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
can't wait for wave 5 love EU and really looking forward to seeing the Grievous figure up close.

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2007, 11:58 PM
The infinite promise of imagination.

Excellent argument...but can this apply to the NT films?

El Chuxter
08-10-2007, 12:11 AM

Ninja Turtles?

JediTricks
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Absolutely, in fact I think it's what keeps some collectors like me from dropping out completely - the prequels may not have done it for us but the toys offer the power to open those concepts up to better ideas, broader concepts, and more satisfying executions than the movies delivered.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
JT, I figured that's what you would say....and I agree....well said....the infinite promise of imagination will be what always sets Star Wars apart from most fantasy/sci-fi...

I still think some characters like Grevious require more "promise" than others...

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 04:34 AM
Maul is far more interesting when you use your imagination. ;)

AmanaMatt
08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I am not a big fan of EU......but I am looking forward to preCyborg Grievous....dunno, but I think I want the fig just cause he is soo talll.....I am a sucker for seriously scaled figs!!!

Qui-Long Gone
08-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I wish they would make cyborg Grevious as tall...he's so poorly scaled in all the figs we have of him....

Mad Slanted Powers
08-26-2007, 05:16 PM
I wish they would make cyborg Grevious as tall...he's so poorly scaled in all the figs we have of him....I believe they said they plan to whenever they get around to making a new Grievous rather than just re-releasing the old versions.

jedi master sal
08-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I believe they said they plan to whenever they get around to making a new Grievous rather than just re-releasing the old versions.

IBIWISI (I'll believe it when I see it). Hasbro says all manner of things. For instance certain figures not planned, then only a couple of months later they get release (Luke/Han Stormtrooper sans blue deco for instance). Another example being that if the AT-TE was featured in the clone wars cartoon (the one already out, not the new one) that we'd stand a good chance of getting it as an action figure sized toy,. Still haven't seen that one.

I'm not at all saying I don't believe what you read or heard MSP, rather as I said, IBIWISI.

Sinscia Fat'o
08-28-2007, 06:36 PM
This is the best wave of the year! I've never preordered nothing in my life but this one i preordered. you got Hermi, and 3po with crumb, awesome needed to be made figures. KOTOR, not my favorite source of EU but ill support the figures that come out of it so maybe, just maybe i'll see my Exar Kun figure if the darth's do well. Anakin and hammerhead, from the clone wars both of those im very happy to see since i loved the cartoon. concept/pre cyborg grievous, while not my favorite prequel villian, hasbro looks like they tried to deliever on this one, and it looks cool, so WTFN? I can only wish everywave had this much to offer.