PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul Sith Lord (Black Vest)

Heylolomaajoe
08-22-2001, 11:29 PM
Hey what's up?
Nothing here...just "chillen".

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get me hands on one of these. I've been looking for some (want two, one to open, one to keep all nice, you know ;)) but I really don't want to pay the $300 or more that they're going for on Ebay. I tried it once, but I didn't win it, and I'm actually glad that I didn't. That's really waaaaaaaaaaaay too much to spend.
So, if anyone could help me out, I'd 'preciate it!

evenflow
08-23-2001, 09:04 AM
The only place that I know of that has them is Brian's Toys. I am not sure of the prices though.

Heylolomaajoe
08-23-2001, 10:04 AM
Well, I was thinking about TRU. I've been to a few and they seem to have about a million Sith Lord Mauls, so maybe somewhere would have one with a black vest.
If anyone happens to see one at their TRU, pick one, or two up for me, and I'll be happy to pay you back. Thanks.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-23-2001, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Heylolomaajoe
...I've been looking for some (want two, one to open, one to keep all nice, you know ;)) but I really don't want to pay the $300 or more that they're going for on Ebay.

Why would you want to open up a costly variant like this one? The whole idea is to keep it in the package because of its high price. Why not just get one to collect and get a regular grey vest one to open?

Heylolomaajoe
08-23-2001, 02:13 PM
Because I'm wierd...

And because I open variations. I even opened a Darth Vader with long saber. I just think that it's cool to have the variant open and maybe have one to put away.

GNT
08-24-2001, 04:16 AM
Just send me $300 and I'll sell you one that I painted black just a couple of minutes ago!

Deal!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-24-2001, 11:02 AM
Screw that, GNT, maybe I'll sell him some prime "waterfront" real estate I've been holding on to. Maybe he'll even want my vintage Ford Pinto variant without the exploding gas tank.

Heylolomaajoe
08-24-2001, 12:53 PM
You know, I have always heard that SSG was a place for collectors and fans to get news and get help when they were looking for some things.
Well, all I asked (and I asked pretty nice too) was if someone could help me find a black vest maul, that's not $300 or more. Hell, most I would pay would be $20, and I thought if someone could find one at TRU (or anywhere for that matter, and if they're not scalpers, and they just want to help someone out) they could pick it up for $3 and then they could make a few extra bucks, if they wanted.
That's all I asked, and I just getting criticism for opening variants. It's what I do, and that's my business - I don't tell you what to collect or what to open. If you didn't want to help me out, you didn't need to reply.

bigbarada
08-24-2001, 02:58 PM
I can honestly tell you that I have scoured the clearance rack of TRU, not for black vest Mauls but for a Maul figure who has a decent face. They mess his paint up a lot! As for your question, I have never seen a black vested variant (in fact I didn't even know one existed until you mentioned it); but if I do I will pick one up for you.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-24-2001, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Heylolomaajoe
That's all I asked, and I just getting criticism for opening variants. It's what I do, and that's my business - I don't tell you what to collect or what to open. If you didn't want to help me out, you didn't need to reply.

I think this comment was probably directed at me so I'll explain my response. I've been a regular forum contributor for the past two years and have been coming to this site longer than that. There have been TONS of people always commenting and asking about the value of variants; from legitimate like right-handed lightsaber classic R2 and black-vest Maul to the ludicrous like Senator Palpatines with extra globs of paint that were misapplied to his robes. IMO it's become kind of a running joke around SSG about people asking how valuable their very obscure variant is, almost like people are just buying stuff in the longshot that it may give them an early retirement due to possible resale value.

I apologize if my comments came off rude to you. I wasn't belittling your desire to get the variant, I was only amused that someone would pay a lot of money for a VHTF variant and then open it. I thought maybe you would have understood that due to my tongue-in-cheek comments that I was just joking with you. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you.

JediTricks
08-25-2001, 11:22 AM
Sorry for the less-than-warm welcome Heylol. I haven't seen zippidy doo dah of these black vested Mauls (which are technically errors, though I think there's enough out there to consider them "variants"). I'd suggest posting a classifieds thread about this and crossing your fingers for a carded one, but for the loose one, just grab an old JD Maul and strip off that vest paint, then you'll have an open version. ;)

Sadly, I have a lot of "rare" variants and errors that are open, none are on purpose, since I open everything, I open good trade bait too.

bigbarada
08-25-2001, 01:40 PM
It's too late. He's never coming back.:(

PloKoon2385
08-30-2001, 06:10 PM
Guess what? Not to sound braggy or anything, but: I got it for 1.97 at TRU! YAAAAAAAAY!:D
Ahem......Anyways, yea. I found him at TRU, and I wasn't even looking for him. I just bought a Darth Maul Tatooine. When I got home, I was on SSG and looking through the pics and then I saw Darth Maul Tatooine Variant: Black Vest
I saw on Brian's Toys that it was selling for like $300 and went WOW!
I looked at my Darth Maul, not expecting to see black and BOOM! It had a black vest. My heart went THUD! It was so cool. I can't believe I found it at TRU for 1.97 and hadn't even known that it was worth money, I just bought it to keep in package and hang up. I don't usually keep things in package, but wanted Maul. So, that's my story. Pretty amazing, huh?:)