PDA

View Full Version : UPS, this is Mike how may I help you?

JimJamBonds
06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
That has been the greeting I've given for the last few years working at UPS. But I only have the oppertunity to say it a few more times since I'm 'retiring' on Friday. For the last 4 months I've been double dipping with another job and after all this time I'm at the point where I can't keep on going doing what I'm currently doing.

I've gotten shafted there far too many times yet I kept sticking around but finally enough is enough and I'm leaving. It would be 7 years in July and 9 years in November if you count my time as a temp, so I more or less worked at UPS during the span of my 20's. Because of the time I've already put into UPS and my age (will be 30 in August) I came to the decision that I need to s**t or get off the pot with them, if I stick around much longer then I might as well go to at least 25 years which when I thought about that I just couldn't see or want myself doing.

I've already said a few good buys and they have been a bit tough, I'm not sure how I'm going to react when I walk out that building for the last time on Friday. Certainly joy and the feeling of a weight being lifted but also sadness
because I won't be working with some really great people whom I've gotten to know over the years. The last job I left I actually got emotional and shed a tear or two, not because of the job itself but rather the people I will miss, there are also some people that I really want to tell them where they can go! ;)

People ask me what I'm going to do with my nights now that they are free and for the most part I have no clue. I have a few ideas floating around but all in all I think I'm just going to enjoy life for a bit.

Has anybody else gone though this sort of thing in the work history?

Kidhuman
06-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah I have. I worked in Loss Prevention over the course of ten years. Through those years it was with the same people. We all went from one compaany to another. When I left NYC and moved to Va, I had to leave them behind. It was rough. Its kind of feels like a friend dying or something, part of a life you are leaving behind to move on. The one thing you remember is the fun times you had, and no one can take it away. The one thing you need to remember is you are leaving to better yourself.(I hope). Good luck JJB in your endevours and just remember, old friends are only a phone call away.

kool-aid killer
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I recently quit my job. Id only worked there for almost a year, but i felt bad leaving the place. Not so much the actual work, because that sucked beyond imagination, but because i wouldnt be seeing my coworkers as often as i used to. But it was something i felt i needed to do, as i graduated back in January from college and was working in a butt hole job that defeated the whole purpose of me going to college. You wouldnt believe how much happier i am though, the job was stressing me out.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
When I saw this thread's title, I thought it'd be about automated voices with names. Huh? Wha-?!? :confused:
I recently ordered some baseball tickets online, and "Maurie" / "Maureen" / "Maudie" was SO helpful in completing my order. :upset:

Has anybody else gone though this sort of thing in the work history?The events of January 28th, 1998 are the reason why I no longer work at a hotel and am now a teacher, even though I didn't leave the hotel until September of that year.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-27-2007, 08:13 PM
The events of January 28th, 1998 are the reason why I no longer work at a hotel and am now a teacher, even though I didn't leave the hotel until September of that year.

No need to verbalize those chilling events of that fateful day BSJ, youtube has hosted video footage of what you experienced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG5X8xvL2_k&mode=related&search=

bobafrett
06-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I recently quit a part time job at the Y.M.C.A. as a fitness room attendant. After 13 + years I finally had enough with adding more and more responsibility's, and only about a a $2.50 raise total over those 13 years. I make more at Wal-Mart then I did there. Plus the only benefit was a free membership. I never got the chance to use that during the last 5 years because I worked 72 hours a week between 3 jobs, and mostly during the hours they were open. I thought I would be sad when I left, but insteadI felt a great burden lifted. I now have two more evenings to get stuff done, see my son,walk with my girlfriend, and rest.

JediTricks
06-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I worked at a video store in my teens, and after I quit I called in and one of the jerks I worked with answered the phone in my name!!! What a tool! So even though you'll be leaving, someone will find a way to blame their troubles on you.

BountyHunterScum
06-27-2007, 10:02 PM
If I call and you say that can I say "eat me Mike"? *joking*

JimJamBonds
06-27-2007, 11:42 PM
The one thing you need to remember is you are leaving to better yourself.(I hope). Good luck JJB in your endevours and just remember, old friends are only a phone call away.

Ohh yeah I am, its better hours, better pay, better potential and I'm getting away from the UPS bs, thats not to say my other employer is bs free rather I haven't gotten to the point of being sick of it.

2-1B
06-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I prefer FedEx.

JimJamBonds
06-28-2007, 11:37 PM
I prefer FedEx.

Speedy for this guy.

Phantom-like Menace
06-28-2007, 11:46 PM
My last night at my current job begins a little less than forty-eight hours from now.

I've been here for a little more than five years, but I'm moving back home. I've seen employees come and go. Some of them I miss. Some of them I don't. Of the current batch (there are only four people I regularly work with), I'll miss two. I'll also miss my manager and her family. Though honestly she could annoy the crap out of me, by and large she takes care of us. I'm looking forward to trying to make more money somewhere else and hopefully getting weekends off for the first time since 1998, so I can try to have some semblance of a normal personal life.

I have a day job too, and though I've only been working there for a few months, there are several people I'll miss. The owner of the business owns another franchise back home, so I'm hoping to still work for him.

Otherwise, I worked at Target for four years and some of the people there I would have desperately missed if not for the fact that I've kept up with them and they've been some of my best friends for the past ten years. We're now going to be spread across the Southeast in three separate cities here and one city in Colorado, but we're a pretty tight-knit group now, so hopefully that won't break up the band. We're already planning a Colorado trip for next year and there is some possibility of the relatively short two hundred mile hop between Tallahassee and Pensacola being traversed at least once or twice a year.

It's often hard to quit and move on in these situations. I promised myself after the sour experience working for the retards at Target I'd be in it for myself, but I feel an unfortunate loyalty toward my current employer. I just can't shake it no matter how much I want to.

CaptainSolo1138
06-29-2007, 07:03 AM
I worked as a "s**tty cook in a s**tty restaurant" for five years, from my junior year of high school until I transfered here to CMU. It was a surprisingly difficult transition for me, compounded by the shift from kitchen work to my new clerical job. I've been at this job for the last two and a half and will be at least as sad when I leave here.

JimJamBonds
07-01-2007, 11:22 PM
In an odd way Thursday was harder then Friday. But reguardless UPS is now in my past and to show their appreciation I didn't see or hear or even get an email from my boss on Friday although I stuck around weeks longer inorder to help out and cover vacations. Thanks a lot!

Phantom-like Menace
07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear you weren't better taken care of on your way out. My job is now behind me as well, but they took care of me on the way out. I got a really nice Swiss watch and a pretty nice check. However, it was a relatively small franchise of a larger company, so the higher ups weren't part of a faceless bureaucracy.

JimJamBonds
07-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear you weren't better taken care of on your way out.

A bunch of coworkers got together and bought pizza and I even had a cake in the shape of a UPS truck so that was really cool! I wasn't really looking for anything other then a handshake and a 'thank you.'

Phantom-like Menace
07-03-2007, 11:20 AM
That's cool. It's been my experience that coworkers are often the one thing that make a job remotely bearable. Good luck in the next stage of your life.

A bunch of coworkers got together and bought pizza and I even had a cake in the shape of a UPS truck so that was really cool! I wasn't really looking for anything other then a handshake and a 'thank you.'

2-1B
07-04-2007, 11:15 AM

I thought they were out of cake ? ;)

Phantom-like Menace
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM

Luckily UPS is much like Church of England.

JimJamBonds
07-04-2007, 10:00 PM

No there was plenty of cake as for the other 'thing' I got that from the company itself over the years.

I got a call on Tuesday and had I taken a closer look at whom was calling me (UPS) I would have just let it go to voicemail. They wanted to know what I had done with my key then my now former boss got on the phone to say she was so so so sorry for not being around Friday night but there was a situation where she had to go to the other building where she is the boss. I just said 'thats fine, no big deal' etc. although I kept thinking if she was so sorry for what happened on Friday why did she first call me on Tuesday? Ehh leaving there was the best thing I've done in a loooooong time.

dr_evazan22
07-12-2007, 09:02 PM
God bless ya!

On my first day 2guys offered me $100 to just turn around. Sometimes I wish I had taken them up on it.