PDA

View Full Version : Who got the Transformers video game? Is it worth it? PC platform anyone?

Tycho
06-27-2007, 12:55 AM
I don't play video games, but I'd like to transform a character I control into a car or a jet and blow stuff up.

I got an idea: I'll buy the Transformers video game for my PC.

Does anyone have the game for any system? (It debuted today 6-26).

Will anyone be playing it on a PC? Do you buy a USB video game controller pad to go with it? What do you need?

JediTricks
06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
A friend of mine was just telling me about the one he got, said it's really cheap how you can't shoot most characters because they put up shields, so it ends up being a brawler. And the physics of the game have buildings and stuff blow up at the slightest brushing. And you can't jump and attack at the same time on most versions (PSP is the exception, it's done by a different developer), can't transform in mid-jump, the battles stink, driving fast is pointless because EVERYBODY is driving fast even if they're just normal humans in cars. The reviews on IGN lambasted the title on all the platforms I saw.

Tycho
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I watched a kid playing it at Best Buy. He must have been a current or former "group home" resident because he asked another guy in the game audience if that guy worked at the group home. He was spending his day at Best Buy playing the video game from opening to close. It's convenient, because homeless dudes live down near the overpass that spans the river right near there, so he's getting prepared to live in the community for the rest of his life. (You make a cardboard sign and stand at the corner asking passerbyes for money).

So anyway, it was great to see him having such a good time. He was very nice and asked if I or his group home acquaintance would like to play, too. But both of us declined. However, he was very proud of being able to show me how he kicked the tar out of Barricade using BumbleBee.

Next to all of this, a guy was playing a demo of the Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End game. I have to say it looked over 50% more detailed and graphically clearer, not to mention largely more expansive regarding the environments and animation clips. (They really looked like Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom and had me wishing there was a level where you earn bonus points to see Kiera Knightley naked). :love: I wish.

Anyway, the Transformers in The Transformers did not really look too much like Transformers. Optimus would come on and give BumbleBee orders. The noise level was too high in there, or the sound on the game too low, to really hear Peter Cullen in the store. (I think Peter Cullen is cool. Peter Cullen IS cool. Peter Cullen's voice as Optimus Prime is very cool. Did I mention that I think that as a selling point, it is very cool? OK. Cool.)

Well, Mr. Group Home was very impatient with his ADD and I didn't get to watch nearly as much of the Transformers expanded animation as the (possibly homeless) dude let run on the Pirates of the Caribbean game, but POTC was superior in graphics anyway. You could easily tell that.

But GH was patient enough to let me watch an animation here or there because I expressed enthusiasm for seeing it and he picked up on that subliminally. Honestly, I liked the kid and feel it's unfortunate that whatever tragedy landed him in a Group Home happened to him.

But GH's respect for law and order was apparently well represented by his playing of the game as BumbleBee ran over, stepped on, and set fire to civilians and their vehicles - picking them up and hurling them at Barricade. Optimus Prime was yelling at him, but the noise in the store prevented me from hearing what. He was probably saying, "Don't step on the fountain!"

Too late. I had to laugh though: at one point the fight takes them past a donut shop and BumbleBee can rip the giant fabricated donut off the roof of the place and nail Barricade with it. "Have a healthy part of this not-too-nutricious breakfast!"

Anyway, Best Buy did not have the game for PC and I checked at Game Stop and they weren't certain it was coming out for PC. They did want to sell me a PS2 for $89 and the game for $34 or something, but I declined. The guy at Best Buy had told me I could get a used PS2 on Craig's List for $50 if I so wanted one. I'm just not a gamer so...

There were two different (Autobot and Decepticon) versions of something for the Nintendo(?) DS (whatever that stands for?) system, I think. (I think it was that one). A guy standing there talking shop with me and obviously a G1 fan like myself, said you couldn't tell one robot from the next (amongst the Decepticons) with the new designs and the bland colors. I had to agree while looking at the art in the guide-to-the-game book they were selling there. The Autobots stand out a little better, if they're not ultar-recognizeable (Ironhide, Ratchet), their colors help you clearly tell them apart. (BumbleBee's the yellow one, Jazz is the silver one...) But the Decepticons are all earth-tones and a bunch of insect-like robots. (I think a bonus level should let you play "Where's Waldo?"

Anyway, this game is a mix-match of a robot Sumo-Wrestler game with ineffective firepower added, and Grand Theft Auto (for a non-player's familiarity with that game).

Barricade looks cool swinging his arms like numbchucks (does he do that in the movie? It's a good idea.) And I didn't see Group Home get to play a higher level.

There were random Decepticon cars (Stunticon clones?) that engaged BumbleBee every so often. They were obstacles but not overly challenging. (Looked like red cars reminiscient of the Alternator Windcharger toy but that's a Autobot, and these weren't.)

The board the game was played on (background, whatever) reminded me of The Simpsons' neighborhood. Sunny, blue sky, beautiful park, exploding busses, hurtling taxi cabs and police cars, everything catching on fire, smoke, destruction, chaos... yeah.

In the game guidebook, I saw screencaps of an ice environment and playing as Jazz at nighttime. That looked cool, but Group Home didn't make it to those levels while I was there.

Lord Malakite
06-28-2007, 07:19 AM
(They really looked like Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom and had me wishing there was a level where you earn bonus points to see Kiera Knightley naked). :love: I wish.
Keep dreaming. That will never happen on the home consoles (an automatic AO rating by the ESRB).

Anyway, the Transformers in The Transformers did not really look too much like Transformers.
Well it is based on the upcoming movie. I have yet to see one autobot or decepticon even come close to resembling their TV show counterpart. The only one that looks close is Optimus (in the face anyway), but even he resembles a sorry mangled scrap pile.

Anyway, Best Buy did not have the game for PC and I checked at Game Stop and they weren't certain it was coming out for PC. They did want to sell me a PS2 for $89 and the game for $34 or something, but I declined. The guy at Best Buy had told me I could get a used PS2 on Craig's List for $50 if I so wanted one. I'm just not a gamer so...
I'm not certain the PC version is out yet. IGN hasn't reviewed it yet. Its also rare for both the home console and PC renditions of the same game to be released on the same day. The closest thing I could find on the PC version's availability states that it will be released on 07/20/07. That comes from SimplyGames.com though, so I'd take that information with a grain of salt.

There were two different (Autobot and Decepticon) versions of something for the Nintendo(?) DS (whatever that stands for?) system, I think. (I think it was that one).
DS is short for dual-screen. There are two versions for the DS because the game was split apart, my best guess being due to size limitations (though it wouldn't suprise me if they did it to get twice the money by following Pokemon's trend). All of the Autobot characters and missions are found in the Autobot edition of the DS game, while all the Deceptacon characters and missions are found in the Decepticon edition of the DS game.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
According to all the ads I read this past weekend, the PC version is a TARGET exclusive game for $19.99. I work electronics at WM during my summers/breaks and we didn't get it in for PC; this explains why. :thumbsup:

Tycho
06-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I heard at GameStop that the PC version was coming in July 20th?

I don't know if they had it right for sure, but the guy checked his list.

But I'll see what I can get at Target when I get the chance. Thanks JMG.

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know about gameplay, but there's a game-only Shockwave character who was designed to look consistent with both the movie Bionicle look and the classic character, and he looks beautiful.

Tycho
06-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I bought it for the PC at Target = $19.99. Good price.

I then bought a game controller (like any of your console games') for my PC. = $19.99.

Then the darn game won't let me load it. Activision's help phone won't be back in business until Monday. Hmmm-hmmmm. :upset:

Tycho
07-01-2007, 12:37 AM
UPDATE: I got it working.

I suck as driving. It seems easier to just have BumbleBee climb over buildings and jump into the fighting arenas than to even attempt to drive there. I think my car came with the Paris Hilton hologram in alt mode!

So now when I defeat all the Decepticon drones on the first board, it reverts back to Windows! What the heck! I'm going to try saving my game early.

It shouldn't be doing that.

I could play as a Decepticon, but I just loathe them. I'm an Autobot through and through so who knows if I'll even try that option in the near future?

(I'd like to fly though).

Anyway, I'm taking a break having defeated the Decepticons in the construction zone twice and not being given credit for it. Grrrrrr.

Tycho
07-01-2007, 04:10 AM
It still reverts back to Windows when I defeat all the Decepticons in "The Suburbs" (level 1).

Did you see the Fish Market? I picked up that giant swordfish and was hitting Decepticons left and right with it like it was a baseball bat! I had to laugh out loud.

I practiced driving now and I think I got the hang of it. It's still far easier to climb over buildings to get to the combat zones than to figure out the streets. Doesn't BumbleBee have GPS guidance programming?

I tried playing as Blackout. I have to get the hang of flying, but it was fun to have a mission to destroy everything. Starscream's voice (giving you your orders) sounds pretty wrong. I miss Chris Latta. :cry:

Blackout is easier to handle as a chopper than a robot. However, swinging his blades is awesome! I got shot down, however. I'm not used to flying him yet - and as I noted, I have a certain distaste for Decepticons, so playing as one of them is not my priority - however I'll want to get Starscream unlocked at one point or another. I love fighter jets.

General_Grievous
07-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I own this game for Xbox 360. I like it. I beat both the Autobots and Decepticons missions. If you don't want to have the movie spoiled, Tycho, I'd suggest you play through the Decepticon missions. The Autobots missions go through the movie. Also, there are Autobot and Decepticon shields in the game and if you collect them all, you can unlock G1 Optimus and Megatron.

Tycho
07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks General G. but I read the movie script already. Transformers are so close to my heart, that I grab a hold of everything available to alleviate my fears someone like (I won't name names - MICHAEL BAY) is ruining my beloved franchise.

While playing the game, my computer is not letting me move on to level 2 in the Autobot adventure (I'm going to call Activision tomorrow), I am still becoming more comfortable with the movie plotline (about the AllSpark) and that sort of thing. It's still not as good of idea as the commetary on global energy crisis that could have been alleged to with the Decepticons trying to rape our world of natural resources as they were in the G1 cartoon. For that, I'm still not thrilled with writer (first name?) Orcci and fear what he's doing with the Star Trek franchise as well.

I am also none too happy with how they've corrupted Megatron and Starscream's images so badly (and Ironhide and Ratchet to an only slightly lesser extent).

But anyway, please keep your fingers crossed that Activision can solve my problem tomorrow. (I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Maybe I don't have enough RAM or graphics memory? I have a top-of-the-line Dell laptop, but it was built for business and not as a game-player, so I never set out to buy top-of-the-line gaming stuff. However, I have grand enough graphics capabilities to run my photo studio stuff.)

El Chuxter
07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I'll probably pick up the game once it drops in price. I'm not worried about spoilers. I still don't plan to waste money on the ripe turd. HBO will have it soon, and I can turn it off fifteen minutes in and not feel like I wasted money on tickets.

JetsAndHeels
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I rented it for the PS2 and so far I like it. The controls gave me some problems early on but now I have gotten used to them.

I want to try to beat it on both autobot and decepticon modes before I have to return it.

Tycho
07-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I rented it for the PS2 and so far I like it. The controls gave me some problems early on but now I have gotten used to them.

Yeah. For me, driving was a challenge.

I want to try to beat it on both autobot and decepticon modes before I have to return it.

C'mon, J&H, think like The Last Son of Krypton (or Cybertron) and protect human life, because "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

Don't follow Starscream's orders! Remember: he's evil!

figrin bran
07-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I could play as a Decepticon, but I just loathe them. I'm an Autobot through and through so who knows if I'll even try that option in the near future?

i was going to comment on how ridiculous that line of thinking is but then i remembered that for Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, i never allowed my characters to venture towards the Dark Side.

JetsAndHeels
07-01-2007, 09:56 PM
C'mon, J&H, think like The Last Son of Krypton (or Cybertron) and protect human life, because "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

Sorry, when I am playing this game I wanna tear **** up some too. :)

General_Grievous
07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I am also none too happy with how they've corrupted Megatron and Starscream's images so badly (and Ironhide and Ratchet to an only slightly lesser extent).

Personally I like all the designs for the movie. Even Starscream is growing on me. But how else could they have done Megatron? This is game footage featuring an unlockable G1 Megatron running around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6XVhSGtwTw

Sure, it looks perfect in the cartoon, but could you imagine how ridiculous that would look in the movie?

El Chuxter
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Sure, it looks perfect in the cartoon, but could you imagine how ridiculous that would look in the movie?

Not at all ridiculous. However, if G1 Megatron were the only G1-styled character in the movie, he'd make the others look more ridiculous by comparison.

figrin bran
07-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Wow, G1 Megs looks awesome in that game. I agree with Chux, the G1 version would've rocked in the movie.

JediTricks
07-03-2007, 03:05 AM
He looks great there! If he had turned into a silver tank, perfect!

Lord Malakite
07-03-2007, 08:54 AM
He looks great there! If he had turned into a silver tank, perfect! If he turned into a silver tank? Are we still talking about G1 Megatron? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought G1 Megatron always transformed into a souped up handgun/laser pistol.

El Chuxter
07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought G1 Megatron always transformed into a souped up handgun/laser pistol.

Until Ratchet crashed the Ark (again), killing himself, Shockwave, and Starscream, and setting off events that led to the deaths of Galvatron and Fortress Maximus. Megatron survived, and was rebuilt in a new body by Cobra scientists, so he now turned into a tank. Sure, he was green, and it was entirely because of the G2 toy, but he looked quite similar to the original.

Plus, all sources agree that Megs' original alt-mode was a Cybertronian tank.

JediTricks
07-03-2007, 03:16 PM
If he turned into a silver tank? Are we still talking about G1 Megatron? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought G1 Megatron always transformed into a souped up handgun/laser pistol.
No, he does, but it wouldn't translate at all on the big screen, mass-shifting really is too out-there for mainstream audiences to get, and the great Decepticon leader turning into a puny handgun that somebody else has to pick up is super lame. A tank is a giant rolling gun, it still fits I've always thought.

El Chuxter
07-03-2007, 03:24 PM
IDW's new series gives an explanation for the mass-shift. It's only possible on Earth, since (for reasons I won't get into) Earth is the only source of pure energon in this universe since Cybertron was reduced to a barren waste.

Tycho
07-03-2007, 04:47 PM
No, he does, but it wouldn't translate at all on the big screen, mass-shifting really is too out-there for mainstream audiences to get, and the great Decepticon leader turning into a puny handgun that somebody else has to pick up is super lame. A tank is a giant rolling gun, it still fits I've always thought.

Historic Transformers moment: JediTricks and I agree on something!

Right on JT! :thumbsup:

figrin bran
07-03-2007, 10:04 PM

I would imagine that mainstream audiences wouldn't really care about mass shifting if done in a manner that provokes a "whoa! that's cool" out of them.

I wish i had known about mass shifting as a kid...it would've helped me win a lot of arguments with other kids about Megs and Soundwave in their alt modes.

Tycho
07-03-2007, 11:16 PM
How about when Optimus Prime transforms at the bottom of the ocean or on Cybertron and his trailer is suddenly with him? :D

There's a YouTube video about Soundwave trying out for a part in this new movie and no one knowing what a tape player is. I can't post the link to it here because he says "f ipods!" in that voice of his and tries drinking and mating with Mr. Coffee! It's pretty funny though. It's a guy in a Soundwave costume, not a cartoon. But it's great when he tries training like Rocky Balboa but it's Soundwave, and they use a purposely amateur and crappy cover of Stan Bush's "The Touch" for his training montage. I watched it twice it was so funny. Search for it. (JediTricks, you should too, but you'd never allow it to be posted or linked to here.)

Oh, and there's this cat on the couch when Soundwave is drinking his blues away (pun intended) and he says, "Ravage: get off the couch!" Hilarious.

figrin bran
07-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the head up about the video! It's right there on youtube's front page actually. great stuff! I like it when Soundwave taunts the red truck with "roll out you b*#%+!" :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-04-2007, 03:43 AM
I would imagine that mainstream audiences wouldn't really care about mass shifting if done in a manner that provokes a "whoa! that's cool" out of them.
I highly doubt it, it's just asking too much from audiences. Hell, I often think it's asking too much of fans to buy it really. I mean, how tough can any giant robot be when he turns into something that can be chucked in the trash by a preschooler?

In that Soundwave thing, that "olde fortran malt liquor" bottle is taken directly from Futurama.

figrin bran
07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
In that Soundwave thing, that "olde fortran malt liquor" bottle is taken directly from Futurama.

No wonder I thought of Bender during that scene!

Tycho
07-05-2007, 06:29 PM
CRAP!

I talked to Activision. I need a more powerful graphics card.

I talked to Dell - they don't make one compatible with my Inpiron 9100, a topline business model laptop :rolleyes: (Is this for real?)

I might be spending as much for the graphics card as I would for a console system and repurchasing the game anyway, so I might as well just do that.

So:

PS2?
Wii?
PS3?
X-Box?

I'll probably go PS2. You can get those NEW for like $80 and the game for $40 and that's a lot less than the graphics card driver - plus I'm not messing with my computer which I need in optimum order to do my work on.

So.... I may drive off and buy a console system - the first one I've owned EVER.

What do you think? PS2?

Lord Malakite
07-05-2007, 07:59 PM
In order from cheapest to most expensive the PS2 would probably be your cheapest option, followed by the DS (regardless of your choice to buy just one or both versions), then the PSP, next Wii, after that X-Box 360, and finally PS3. I would only suggest going with the PS2 option if you plan on never picking up another game or only a very few games in the future. No sense in wasting money on something you may only use for one or two play throughs of a single game.

If it were me I would go for the Wii, X-Box 360, or PS3. Its true they are the more expensive choices, but I'm a long time gamer and as a long time gamer I'd be looking at my options as long term investments.

With the PS2 you can only play PS2 games (directly) and PS games (directly). Also while PS2 games aren't completely extinct yet, they are nearing their end on the main stream game market.

With a PS3 you can play PS games (both directly and eventually by download), PS2 games (directly), PS3 games (directly), and PS online exclusive games (by download).

With X-Box 360 you can play 360 games (directly), original X-Box games (directly), original online X-Box Live Arcade games (by download), and a few older console games (by download). Last I checked though the older console games were still sparse (the only one that really comes to mind is "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" for the PS).

With a Wii you can play GameCube games (directly), Wii games (directly), exclusive online WiiWare games eventually (by download) and the online Virtual Console games (which consists of NES games, SNES games, N64 games, Sega Genesis games, Turbo-Grafix 16 games, eventually Neo-Geo games and maybe eventually MSX games - all by download).

Which decision is best for you Tycho just depends on how far you plan to go beyond the Transformers game. Just don't forget to buy a memory card/stick if your selection doesn't include a built-in hardrive or flash memory from the get go (aka the PS2 and PSP). You can't save without it.

Tycho
07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
OK, thanks. Now is there any system with better Star Wars games than the next?

I prefer pilot games like where I can get in an X-wing (I AM Tycho afterall).

Lord Malakite
07-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Good flight based SW games. You would probably enjoy the Rogue Squadron games then Tycho. Aside from "TIE Fighter" and "X-Wing" for PC those are probably my most favorite flight based Star Wars games. "Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader" and "Rebel Strike: Rogue Squadron III" were both exclusive to the GameCube, which means they would be compatible for the Wii (but you'll need to purchase a GameCube memory card to save - Gamecube games weren't designed to save to Wii's built-in flash memory). Both games tend to focus on and expand upon the original SW Trilogy's various battles.

Rebel Strike has some land vehicle and on-foot based missions/areas that tends to hurt it some compared to Rogue Leader (mainly the on-foot stuff), but it does have two things going for it - it includes a multi-player exclusive version of Rogue Leader and it includes all three original SW Atari arcade games (SW, ESB, and ROTJ). Tycho (the SW character) also has a brief cameo in the game.

The first "Rogue Squadron" game was available for both PC and the N64. So while it isn't available at the moment, its possible it may become available for Wii's Virtual Console in the future. Unlike its sequels, the original tends to focus in more on the SW expanded universe. There are a few movie based missions, but they are treated more as bonuses than anything else.

You also have "Episode I: Battle for Naboo" for both PC and N64 that may come to Wii's Virtual Console at some point. It's more or less a spiritual sequel to the original Rogue Squadron game and it expands upon Episode I's story from the viewpoint of Naboo's military and citizens as they resist the Trade Federation. Unlike the first Rogue Squadron game (which, aside from a secret test level, is entirely flying vehicle missions), Battle for Naboo has both land vehicle and air vehicle based missions. Land vehicle missions were not really approached again until Rebel Strike.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm a bit late in chiming in here.

Tycho, my first recommendation would be the Wii. The gameplay is unique enough that it appeals to a lot of non-gamers. And the old NES games for download is a definite plus. TFU and Lego Saga are the only confirmed SW games so far, but it is reverse compatible with the GameCube. The GC had some awesome SW games. Clone Wars, Bounty Hunter, and Dark Forces III (?) are a bit tough to find now. Rogue Squadron II and III were still available the last time I checked (though III was out of print, there appear to be a lot of copies around), and I imagine the original will be available for download sometime this year or next, along with SOTE and Racer, since they were both N64 games. The lack of Battlefront is the only real drawback.

Second would be a PS2. I wouldn't go with the PS3 unless you're planning some hardcore gaming. Super Bombad Racing, Racer's Revenge, and the Starfighter titles are the exclusives (again, some may be tougher to find), and you can also get Clone Wars, Lego I&II, Bounty Hunter, ROTS, and Battlefront I&II.

Tycho
01-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the gamer tips Chuxter.

I just thought of what I'd really like in a video game:

a virtual Presidential debate where you can fight in the primaries and then the general election as any candidate that ran, and AI would determine your competitors' responses to you!

You'd enter your arguments via keyboard, but if you accumulated so many ideological differences with the candidate you're playing as, the computer would make you switch political parties! Haha.

So I could play as John Edwards or Dennis Kucinich and take on Mitt Romney!

That would be the most awesome video game ever!