PDA

View Full Version : Bobble headed 3 3/4 - good or bad?

06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Excuse me if this is an old topic, I've been away for a while, but am I the only one who thinks the ball-and-socket heads of the last year or two look pretty awful? Some are better than others, (characters with helmets and such -even then it seems these always pull the head off along with the helmet) but overall the faces seem to always get distorted and the necks are too thin. They just look wrong somehow. Just one man's opinion.

bigbarada
06-28-2007, 06:18 PM
A few people have expressed their dislike of the ball-socket neck joint, but I think on average they look pretty good. And they offer a level of articulation and expression that isn't possible with any other type of neck joint.

We're all aware of when they go wrong, but that doesn't mean that Hasbro should abandon them completely. They should just take greater care in making them right.

It's the same with soft goods, every once in a while they go completely haywire and ruin what would otherwise be a great figure (VTSC Greedo); but they are still something that is necessary for certain characters and they prevent capes and long robes from interfering with articulation.

Devo
06-29-2007, 12:14 PM
For me its a topic that doesn't get old and yes I agree with you, they look terrible. There is another thread on this somewhere else, started by JediPartnr about the new VTSC Endor Leia - the latest abomination in the sad tale of ball&socket heads. Unfortunately those of us who don't like these head joints are too few and its likely to continue. I even saw one person on rebelscum say he wasn't buying the new Hoth han because it didn't have a balljointed head.

True there are some examples that are tolerable. The VTSC Bespin Luke's balljointing of the head doesn't look all bad. The likeness is crap but whats new there.

But when they're bad, damn are they bad. Stand up TAC Mace Windu, VTSC X-wing Luke, Evolutions AOTC Anakin, VTSC endor Leia. And these figures are likely to be the staple examples of those characters in those particular outfits for some time to come. There won't be another endor Leia any time soon to rectify the cockups on that figure. Thats the reason I wish they wouldn't complicate the figure making process with balljoint heads that can go oh so wrong and stick to the more motion limiting but aesthetically superior swivel neck.

Sinscia Fat'o
07-02-2007, 05:10 PM
the ball jointing adds so much look to the figure, it gives them articulation they didn't have three-five years ago we all remeber all horriable the POTF2 line was dont we? I think the Endor Leia is a great figure compared to what we've had in the past. Take the Vintage snowtrooper great figure, and if it wasn't for the ball jointed neck, his helmet wouldn't even stay on. So i hope the ball joint is a trend that sticks with Star wars figures.

PS, Vintage Greedo was a awesome figure! Thats like my favorite from that whole Wave, i think the soft goods vest made that figure great.

Devo
07-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Take the Vintage snowtrooper great figure, and if it wasn't for the ball jointed neck, his helmet wouldn't even stay on.

Eh? The helmet wouldn't stay on? How does the ball-joint neck enable the helmet to stay on anymore than a swivel head would? Assuming you even need a removeable helmet on a trooper that was never seen with his helmet off.

PS, Vintage Greedo was a awesome figure! Thats like my favorite from that whole Wave, i think the soft goods vest made that figure great.

I agree that Vintage Greedo was superb. Another one I didn't even think we needed till I had it in my hands - like Vintage Ig-88 and Bossk. But the softgoods vest was crap! It didn't look like it did in the film and it wasn't even necessary. Its not like a plastic vest would have impeded articulation on this figure. Not everything needs to be softgoods. Leave that to high-end 12inch figures where it can be achieved with greater realism.

Back to the ball-joint head issue - the best one I've seen is the new Bespin Luke. The head actually looks intact - he has a lower jaw. And neither has the hair been compromised like the tatooine and pilot Vintage figures where it sticks out to an absurd degree at the back. And the neck looks normal. The likeness isn't even close, true, but at least this one isn't a freak of human anatomy. If all ball-joint heads were like this one I wouldn't complain. Trouble is they aren't all as successfully integrated as this. Endor Leia from the same line is the worst we've ever seen. I don't think there'll ever be consistency with ball-joint heads. Some will be alright looking, most will blow.

bigbarada
07-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Back to the ball-joint head issue - the best one I've seen is the new Bespin Luke. The head actually looks intact - he has a lower jaw. And neither has the hair been compromised like the tatooine and pilot Vintage figures where it sticks out to an absurd degree at the back. And the neck looks normal. The likeness isn't even close, true, but at least this one isn't a freak of human anatomy. If all ball-joint heads were like this one I wouldn't complain. Trouble is they aren't all as successfully integrated as this. Endor Leia from the same line is the worst we've ever seen. I don't think there'll ever be consistency with ball-joint heads. Some will be alright looking, most will blow.

As much as a I like the ball-joint heads, I do have to agree on X-Wing Luke and Endor Leia; but I think those are so messed up because Hasbro wanted to retain the range of motion with the helmet on. Unfortunately, it makes it so that the figure only looks good with the helmet on, which in turn kind of defeats the purpose of having a removable helmet.

2-1B
07-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Vintage removable heads were the best back in the day...I loved taking off heads and putting them on other bodies.