PDA

View Full Version : USA Network's "Burn Notice"

JediTricks
06-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I watched the extended, commercial-free premiere last night, and thought it was fairly decent, despite being USA's 4th quirky detective show (Monk, The Dead Zone, and Psych being the other 3).

I liked almost everybody minus the 2 main female characters, Gabrielle Anwar just felt like a big left-turn every time she was there, the fake accent and badass attitude worked too hard to make her an instant character without enough writing to bring her up to spec. And the mother was unbearable, that wasn't even an interesting gag once.

But the idea of making a character 1 part spy, 1 part P.I., and 1 part MacGuyver ain't such a bad thing. I like that our hero prefers not to use guns but he will and he'll do it effectively rather than dawdle. And you can't say no to Bruce Campbell being the sidekick!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-01-2007, 01:23 AM
This looked like it might be okay, but I missed it and probably won't bother watching it. I do watch the other three USA shows you mentioned, though.

JediTricks
07-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Well, if you get a chance and free time, give it a shot.

darko666
07-07-2007, 07:12 PM
they had all 3 episodes on back to back earlier today. i found myself enjoying it. the humour is good and not to mention Bruce Campbell is on the show, so i was glad to see him pretty much being himself, and having fun with his character. i agree with you on Gabrielle Anwar. the accent was just badly done and i'm not against tough women, but her character was a little cheesy. but overall, it's not a bad show.

JediTricks
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Glad you enjoyed it darko! You can't go too wrong with Bruce Campbell, even when he's bad he's still good. :thumbsup:

Thursday's episode they ditched her accent and made a quick comment about it, that worked fine for me. They changed the style a little with the freeze-frames, seemed a bit excessive, but otherwise the story worked well and I enjoyed it. A lot of time passed between those eps though, like months, that was surprising.