PDA

View Full Version : Movie Critic Joel Seigle dies at 63

Kidhuman
06-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Always watched him on the nightly news growing up. RIP Joel

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3324632&page=1

Luuuuuuke
06-30-2007, 01:11 AM
He was a familiar, and bushy, face for me, though I wouldn't say he resonated too much with me. He's one of those guys I saw all the time, but you almost take for granted as an accomplished critic. An obvious nice guy.

Sad, 63 isn't very old.

General_Grievous
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
As crazy as he was for walking out of "Clerks II", he still had good taste in movies. He's probably sitting with Gene Siskel in that big screening room in the sky. RIP Joel.

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 01:32 PM
As crazy as he was for walking out of "Clerks II", he still had good taste in movies.

Why does that show bad taste? I wish I'd walked out on that turd. And I love every other Kevin Smith film I've seen.

General_Grievous
06-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Why does that show bad taste? I wish I'd walked out on that turd. And I love every other Kevin Smith film I've seen.

How can you be a Kevin Smith fan and not love Clerks II?

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
It was two hours of trying way too hard to recapture the success of Clerks, incorporating a lot of jokes that would've worked in the animated series but were just stupid in live action.

And, well, after seeing the guy can direct an awesome movie without resorting to f***ing Jay and Silent Bob, this seemed a serious step backwards. Say you're retiring the two AND ACTUALLY DO IT! They're funny for a movie or two. After six, it's getting to be a bit of a crutch.

Oh, and the guys who "played" Dante and Randal? Fine for an indie flick with a $30 budget. Funny as a cameo in a later movie. Carrying a whole movie with real actors like Rosario Dawson? Not as fine. They should've used their royalties to pay for some acting lessons.

bobafrett
06-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I used to see Joel on Good Morning America before I had to be at work before it even came on. He was always interesting to watch and listen too, though I rarely let a critics views sway me from seeing a movie or not.

General_Grievous
06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh, and the guys who "played" Dante and Randal? Fine for an indie flick with a $30 budget. Funny as a cameo in a later movie. Carrying a whole movie with real actors like Rosario Dawson? Not as fine. They should've used their royalties to pay for some acting lessons.

Say what you will about Dante, but Randal held his own, and even stole the movie at times.

I rarely let a critics views sway me from seeing a movie or not.

Same here, but Joel was one of the few critics (along with Roger Ebert) who have been fairly accurate with their reviews.

Qui-Long Gone
06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
How can you be a Kevin Smith fan and not love Clerks II?

The same way you can be a Batman fan and not love George Clooney, Katie Holms (Cruise), Joel Schumaker or the new Batpod/motorcycle...