PDA

View Full Version : Anybody listening to Icky Thump yet?

jjreason
06-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I've heard the first 3 tracks or so on our good new rock radio station here - and I like them all. Pretty excited to pick this disc up.

2-1B
06-30-2007, 12:21 PM
I would listen to it if Jack White was not involved with the project.

lol

Rocketboy
06-30-2007, 12:25 PM
The only good thing the White Stripes have ever done was the video for Fell in Love With A Girl.

And if they came for the Nachos, tell 'em they are all gone.

jjreason
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I would listen to it if Jack White was not involved with the project.

lol

You guys are killing me! Is it Jack you don't like or the music??? The guy's a guitar legend already - and he ain't even dead yet!!!

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 01:50 PM
I have heard it, and it is amazing.

I think they finally broke the streak of "every album better than the one before," but Jack now has eight albums under his belt that are four stars or better. That's like U2 or Zeppelin there.

Speaking of which, this is his most Zep-sounding album to date.

2-1B
06-30-2007, 02:44 PM
You guys are killing me! Is it Jack you don't like or the music???

Yes. lol :p

Rocketboy
06-30-2007, 03:45 PM
You guys are killing me! Is it Jack you don't like or the music??? The guy's a guitar legend already - and he ain't even dead yet!!!Yes, yes, and unfortunately.

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 04:22 PM
1960s garage band meets old-school blues in the hands of a guitar master?

What's not to love?

I'd much rather have one White Stripes album than most of the stuff that passes for blues now.

jjreason
06-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I must admit, when I first heard the song Icky Thump.... I was quite taken aback. Until the rest of the music stopped and Jack's guitar stood all alone.... that's when I realized everything else was right with the world. Now, after quite a few more listens, the whole song works for me just fine.

figrin bran
06-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I think their albums have been getting a little worse since White Blood Cells. I downloaded a youtube video of the Whites performance of the title track on Jools Holland and that was many many times better than the studio version.

However, to expand upon what Chux said, even them at their worst is still better than what passes both for blues and rock these days

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 10:05 PM
However, to expand upon what Chux said, even them at their worst is still better than what passes both for blues and rock these days

Except for Susan Tedeschi. She rocks. I'd say the same about Mr Lang and Ms Curfman, but it appears we've lost them to other genres. Mr Shepherd's last album was a glorious return to form, but until he can prove he's truly returned from bland-rock hell, the jury's out on him.

figrin bran
06-30-2007, 10:15 PM
I must admit, when I first heard the song Icky Thump.... I was quite taken aback. Until the rest of the music stopped and Jack's guitar stood all alone.... that's when I realized everything else was right with the world. Now, after quite a few more listens, the whole song works for me just fine.

actually it's not all guitar, at least on the live performance as Jack switches between guitar and keyboards for a lot of the riffs. do yourself a favor and go to youtube and do a search on "icky thump live". trust me, you won't regret it!

for all of you canadians, check out the maple leaf amps (http://cms.pitchforkmedia.com/images/image/32735.ws5.jpg)

TeeEye7
06-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Errr...sorry, no. Haven't heard of them (which shouldn't surprise too many of you).

I thought this had something to do with the sound of backing over a bunny with your car. My bad. :cross-eye

bobafrett
06-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Both my son and I like the White Stripes music. I don't know if it's the lyrics, or Jack's voice, or the music, most likely all of it together in one package called talent!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-01-2007, 01:39 AM
I bought the CD at Target while I was in Springfield, MO last weekend. It was only $9.98 it said the price was only valid through the weekend. Plus, sales tax is less there. I finally listened to the whole thing yesterday. I think it is their best since White Blood Cells, though maybe not quite as good as their first two. I'll have to listen to it some more. My first impression is that there aren't as many songs on it that I really like compared to the first two albums, but there are fewer songs that I might skip over on this one than on any of their prior albums.

jjreason
07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I just got this today, and have only heard the first 2 songs (which I was already familiar with). My comic shop owner suggested there was "too much really weird stuff on there", so I'm hoping I enjoy what's left of the album. They're actually playing Toronto tomorrow night, and I have half a mind to head down there and check for tickets after work (outdoor venue, the "lawn" - standing area - admissions are only $25).