PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's "Who's Now?"

CaptainSolo1138
07-06-2007, 10:42 AM
ESPN is currently running a showdown to determine who the hottest athlete, or the "now" athlete, is. While it's basically a huge joke designed to further kiss the behind and get ESPN on the good side of one of the "usual suspects" (i.e. Shaq, Peyton, Tiger), I thought I'd post the brackets here and see who real people think the winner(s) should be, not people paid to pick the person who'll like your network for it. The brackets are (in bold):

The Complete Bracket

MICHAEL JORDAN BRACKET
July 1: (1) Tiger Woods def. (8) Matt Leinart
July 2: (4) Dwyane Wade def. (5) Shaun White
July 3: (2) LaDainian Tomlinson def. (7) David Beckham
July 4: (3) Steve Nash def. (6) Serena Williams

The voting for this bracket is done, and with the exception of LT beating Becks, I agree with it. I see Tiger winning this bracket.

MUHAMMAD ALI BRACKET
July 5: (1) Peyton Manning vs (8) Amanda Beard
July 6: (4) Dale Earnhardt Jr vs (5) Chuck Liddell
July 7: (2) Alex Rodriguez vs (7) Terrell Owens
July 8: (3) Kobe Bryant vs (6) Ronaldinho

This is the current bracket, with voting on the Manning/Beard match-up taking place today. My picks are:
*Manning: Beard's proved she's got a nice rack, but that doesn't make you the "now" athlete.
*Jr.: He's got a huge following and made a bold move and left his father's company. Also, I think a lot of people aren't familiar enough with UFC to even recognize Liddell.
*A-Rod: I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong, but I think most people are kinda over of TO and his schtick.
*Kobe: I hate the guy and he's not very "now" to me, but, like Liddell, the average non-sports fan has probably never heard of Ronaldinho.
*WINNER: A-Rod. He's "now" right now. Manning is huge, but I think that with it being baseball season Alex's "nowness" will prevail.

BILLIE JEAN KING BRACKET
July 9: (1) LeBron James vs (8) Kelly Slater
July 10: (4) Jeff Gordon vs (5) Barry Bonds
July 11: (2) Derek Jeter vs (7) Sidney Crosby
July 12: (3) Reggie Bush vs (6) Danica Patrick

*LeBron: Again, the average person has no clue who Kelly Slater is.
*Bonds: Why he's not a top 4 seed is beyond me. I'm not sure there is an athlete at the moment who's looked at as much as him.
*Sid the Kid: My personal pick. While my love of hockey makes this a biased pick, I think Sid should get it for basically rebounding a failing franchise and putting a face on a very anonymous NHL.
*Danica: She's more recognizable as a figure than Bush is.
*WINNER: Sidney Crosby. No single athlete has done more for their sport in the recent past than he has.

BABE RUTH BRACKET
July 13: (1) Tom Brady vs (8) David Ortiz
July 14: (4) Maria Sharapova vs (5) Vince Young
July 15: (2) Roger Federer vs (7) Tony Parker
July 16: (3) Shaquille O'Neal vs (6) Michael Phelps

*Brady: RedSox Nation is gonna make this the closest battle, IMO, but Brady is a huge athlete and he's in the news for spreading his Dreamboat seed.
*Sharapova: See Danica Patrick vs. Reggie Bush
*Tony Parker: He just won a title and is nailing that chick from that show.
*Shaq: This is a real throwaway for me. Shaq is past his prime, IMO, and Phelps isn't that recognizable of a person.
*WINNER: Tom Brady. He's sexy.

OVERALL WINNER: Tiger Woods. I would love to see Crosby win, but there's not a more recognized athlete in the world than Tiger Woods (except for David Beckham, but he's been done away with already).

figrin bran
07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't have time to pick my winners just yet but everyone who posts in our football threads knows that Danica Patrick over $aint Reggie is a lock for me :p

David Ortiz over Brady is a lock for KH.

bigbarada
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Nice to see someone from the UFC making an appearance on this list. I mean, it's only the fastest growing sport in America according to 60 Minutes and Sports Illustrated.

However, I would think that Matt Hughes or Randy Couture would make better spokesmen for the sport.

Matt has 9 championship victories, the most dominant fighter in the sport and Randy is the only fighter to win simultaneous championships to two different weight classes. Plus he recently scored a HUGE victory by coming out of retirement and defeating heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia. So, Randy is kind of the UFC's new poster boy right now.

JetsAndHeels
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Vince Young scoring 7 on the wonderlic test Bracket:

Herman Edwards vs Maurice Clarett

oh who are we kidding there's nobody else out there that dumb!!
Herm in a landslide

Al Capone Bracket:

Tank Johnson vs. Pacman Jones

Lets make Pacman the winner...because although Tank had guns too at least Pacman was at a strip club. :)

figrin bran
07-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Al Capone Bracket:

Tank Johnson vs. Pacman Jones

Lets make Pacman the winner...because although Tank had guns too at least Pacman was at a strip club. :)

Nobody had the phenomenal year that Pacman Jones did! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
07-06-2007, 11:23 PM
The Complete Bracket

MICHAEL JORDAN BRACKET
July 1: (1) Tiger Woods def. (8) Matt Leinart
July 2: (4) Dwyane Wade def. (5) Shaun White
July 3: (2) LaDainian Tomlinson def. (7) David Beckham
July 4: (3) Steve Nash def. (6) Serena Williams

Tiger easily out of here

MUHAMMAD ALI BRACKET
July 5: (1) Peyton Manning vs (8) Amanda Beard
July 6: (4) Dale Earnhardt Jr vs (5) Chuck Liddell
July 7: (2) Alex Rodriguez vs (7) Terrell Owens
July 8: (3) Kobe Bryant vs (6) Ronaldinho

Manning, DEJ, A-Rod and Kobe with A-Rod taking it overall

BILLIE JEAN KING BRACKET
July 9: (1) LeBron James vs (8) Kelly Slater
July 10: (4) Jeff Gordon vs (5) Barry Bonds
July 11: (2) Derek Jeter vs (7) Sidney Crosby
July 12: (3) Reggie Bush vs (6) Danica Patrick

LeBron, Bonds, Derek Jeter,(sorry Cappy, hockey lost a step the last few years) and Reggie(For Figrin).

LeBron over DJ for the finals

BABE RUTH BRACKET
July 13: (1) Tom Brady vs (8) David Ortiz
July 14: (4) Maria Sharapova vs (5) Vince Young
July 15: (2) Roger Federer vs (7) Tony Parker
July 16: (3) Shaquille O'Neal vs (6) Michael Phelps

The most interesting bracket of all is this one.....

Massachutesttestestesaer-ians must be pulling their hair out over Brady and Ortiz. I give it to Brady, because a DH should never win anything IMO, he only plays 1/2 a game.

Sharapova will get votes because of her looks and VY is just VY. If it was a looks contest, Sharapova hands down, but VY gets it here.

Federer and Parker is interesting. No sign of Timmy on the list who is light years ahead of Parker. Roger is king of the court(unless its clay and then its Nadal), but Parker has the exposure right now with Eva in his pocket(she is small enough to fit in there too). Parker in a slight edge.

Shaq and Phelps: Shaq easily. overall winner Brady

Brady, A-Rod, Tiger and LeBron.

All pretty much the best in the game they play. I would love to see it go to A-Rod and I believe it would if he was still on the Mariners or Rangers, but since he is a Yankee, it will cost him some votes. Leron and Tiger will Duke it out and Eldrick will win it all.

JimJamBonds
07-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Out of all the stupid carp the four letter network has done this might be the dumbest of them all!

CaptainSolo1138
07-07-2007, 08:14 AM
(sorry Cappy, hockey lost a step the last few years)I'd never deny that it hasn't. I just think that Crosby is one of the few things that's right about the NHL right now. I'm fairly sure Jeter will win that match, but I'd love to see Crosby as the "dark horse".

Out of all the stupid carp the four letter network has done this might be the dumbest of them all!But its fun to argue about it! Where's YOUR picks?!

2-1B
07-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Rae Carruth, OJ Simpson, Chris Benoit, and AC Green are my picks.

JimJamBonds
07-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Out of all the stupid carp the four letter network has done this might be the dumbest of them all!

But its fun to argue about it! Where's YOUR picks?!

My pick is they do something stupid like this every year.

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Everyone should go here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whosnow&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1) and vote for Sidney Crosby today before 6:00pm EST. Help show ESPN that the NBA and the Yankees aren't the only entities in sports.

figrin bran
07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
okay, just voted for Crosby over Jeter.

BountyHunterScum
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Amanda Beard proved that she is not remotely a lady. Attention wh*re or wh*re, either or both work. I have zero respect for women who sell their bodies like that. Even if they are pictures thats no excuse nor is it different.

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Amanda Beard proved that she is not remotely a lady.Actually, she proved quite the contrary.:lipsrsealed:
Attention wh*re or wh*re, either or both work. I have zero respect for women who sell their bodies like that. Even if they are pictures thats no excuse nor is it different.You're taking this thread way off topic. I'd love to argue that point, but this isn't the place.

Let's start again: Vote for Sid the Kid. Now.

BountyHunterScum
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Actually, she proved quite the contrary.:lipsrsealed: You're taking this thread way off topic. I'd love to argue that point, but this isn't the place.

Let's start again: Vote for Sid the Kid. Now.

Right so a woman who does this is a lady. Sure.....:rolleyes: I'm not arguing with people, like it or not thats how I feel period.

2-1B
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
This is one of the dumbest shows, the whole naming of brackets after people who "were now then" reminds me of Harry Shearer in A Mighty Wind talking about retro vs "nowtro".

I'm not a Jeter supporter per se, but I can't bring myself to vote for Sidney Crosby...he looks too much like Andy Samberg. :eek:

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Crosby lost 62% to 38% or something like that. Meh.

2-1B
07-13-2007, 06:23 PM
What's so unlady like about showing off some skin ? I see tons of fat chicks walking around with all kinds of stuff hanging out that shouldn't be...at least Amanda and her beard are worth a look. :lipsrsealed:

CaptainSolo1138
07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
at least Amanda and her beard are worth a look. :lipsrsealed:Sadly, no beard (or lack thereof) is shown.:(

BountyHunterScum
07-13-2007, 08:44 PM
What's so unlady like about showing off some skin ? I see tons of fat chicks walking around with all kinds of stuff hanging out that shouldn't be...at least Amanda and her beard are worth a look. :lipsrsealed:

Interesting analogy, full nudity is "some skin". If you have to ask you really don't understand no offense. You're funny though. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
07-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Seriously, keep it on topic. You guys are treading in Rancor Pit territory and if you want to continue this conversation it needs to be moved there. I'm not a mod, but as the starter of this thread I feel some responsibility towards it. If this keeps up I'll have a mod close the thread. Thanks.

And don't forget to vote in today's matchup, Tom "Dreamboat" Brady vs. David "Big Papi" Ortiz.

BountyHunterScum
07-13-2007, 11:12 PM
nevermind I see it.

2-1B
07-14-2007, 02:10 PM
In my Bible,
God created the Heavens, the Earth, and Beautiful Babies like Amanda Beard.
Let us rejoice and be glad.

That's a joke up there, nothing serious, so don't go squealin' on me, Caps. lol

Interesting analogy, full nudity is "some skin". If you have to ask you really don't understand no offense. You're funny though. :thumbsup:

I do understand, believe me. :thumbsup:
And thanks for the compliment. :)

I'm not voting for Peyton Manning in any of these polls. I'm not a fan of that guy or his frighteningly large forehead.

jjreason
07-14-2007, 08:14 PM
It's actually a 6 head, and will be an 8 head by 2 years from now. *rimshot*

BountyHunterScum
07-14-2007, 10:25 PM
In my Bible,
God created the Heavens, the Earth, and Beautiful Babies like Amanda Beard.
Let us rejoice and be glad.

That's a joke up there, nothing serious, so don't go squealin' on me, Caps. lol

I do understand, believe me. :thumbsup:
And thanks for the compliment. :)

I'm not voting for Peyton Manning in any of these polls. I'm not a fan of that guy or his frighteningly large forehead.

Cool. The rancor pit is full of politics, nothing in there about moral issues.

Kidhuman
07-15-2007, 06:23 AM
If this thread isnt back on topic soon it will be closed. Sorry Cappy, I know you have tried.