PDA

View Full Version : Vanity Fair - the AOTC issue

bigbarada
02-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Anybody else check out the March issue of Vanity Fair? Y'know the one with Anakin and Padme on the cover? Helloooo?

Anyways, some cool pictures (Mace with a beard, Obi-Wan with a red-bladed saber, a nice maquette of the Kaminoan and Senator Tessek:rolleyes: ) some blah pictures (a really boring profile shot of Jango's helmet, Artoo in a crate).

An interesting quote from George Lucas, in response to the focus on the love story: "I'd call it a love haiku more than a love sonnet. It's shorter than a traditional love story, and thinner than a traditional love story, but still, hopefully, has the same impact as a traditional love story."

A frightening qoute from Natalie Portman: "This is George's Titanic."

Hayden being clueless as to how his voice will evolve into Vader's: "I think he becomes half-mechanical, and, um, the dark helmet......Maybe that has something to do with his voice getting lower?"

Aside from some insulting comments from Lucas about internet message boards and an inane comparison of Darth Sidious and Darth Maul to the Taliban and al-Qaeda, it has little revelations for those of us who follow the spoilers.

One thing that bugs me, the entire issue refers to Padme as Amidala. Sooo, which one is it?

LTBasker
02-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Well, to get it cleared up, Padme's full name is: Padme Amidala Naberrie.

And E2 may be George's Titanic, but Natalie's the iceberg to sink it. :D

Co Jo-Da
02-07-2002, 12:55 PM
Well at least the love story is a smaller part of the total story than most people had been thinking...

JetsAndHeels
02-07-2002, 01:42 PM
I did not realize that this issue was already available. I will have to go out and get one. Do these come in the plastic cover? I still have the one from 99 that they did and it is in the cover.

bigbarada
02-07-2002, 10:32 PM
The issue I got didn't come polybagged. What I wonder though is how this magazine, which is at least three times thicker than an issue of the SW Insider can only cost $3.95 while the Insider costs $5.99? Gee, thanks for the great deals WOTC!:mad:

Battle Droid
02-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Anyways, some cool pictures (Mace with a beard)

Mace? Strange, the Deluxe Mace figure doesn't have a beard, he must shave it.

Lord Tenebrous
02-07-2002, 11:00 PM
What I wonder though is how this magazine, which is at least three times thicker than an issue of the SW Insider can only cost $3.95 while the Insider costs $5.99?

The Insider has few paid advertizements in it, thus the higher price.

TFN has a listing of the photos:

The article is entitled "Love in a Distant Galaxy," and the photos are:

Contents page pics:
Lama Su (maquette)
Senator Tessek
Senator Orn Free Taa

Lucas Filming Anakin and Padme (on editorial page)
Hayden and Natalie ("in civilian gear") (2pg. spread)
R2 in crate
Mace Windu
Obi-Wan (hood-up)
Jango (profile) -- very cool looking
Broken, tarnished (?) Battle Droid
George filming Obi-Wan jumping with Sam Jackson looking on (2pg. spread)
Anakin and Padme about to kiss (2pg. spread).

Following the tradition of the EI VF, the article confirms part of the opening crawl. The last paragraph of the opening crawl is different from a version we initially posted here.

Senator Amidala, the former queen of Naboo, is returning to the Galactic Senate to vote on the critical issue of creating an army of the Republic to assist the overwhelmed Jedi...

(vs. Senator Amidala, the former Queen of Naboo, is returning to Coruscant to vote on the critical issue of creating an army to assist the overwhelmed Jedi)

bigbarada
02-07-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous

The Insider has few paid advertizements in it, thus the higher price.

Not to dwell on the issue, but Vanity Fair has tons of adds including several cologne/perfume samples and a 12-page iMac pull-out mini-mag. It beats out the ad count I've seen for any issue of the Insider.

Now that I think about it, though, Vanity Fair probably has a much higher circulation than the Insider, hence the cheaper price.

LTBasker
02-08-2002, 01:07 AM
Yeah, and with WOTC being Hasbro... what'd ya expect? :p

'Bout the Senator Tessek issue, wouldn't that just be a Quarren Senator? I mean Tessek was the name of the Quarren (Squidhead) from Jabba's Palace. :D 'Course it might be a common name on Mon Calamari, oh well.

So R2's MIB, huh? Just better hope he doesn't get sent through FedEx, he'd never make it through. :D

bigbarada
02-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
'Bout the Senator Tessek issue, wouldn't that just be a Quarren Senator? I mean Tessek was the name of the Quarren (Squidhead) from Jabba's Palace. :D 'Course it might be a common name on Mon Calamari, oh well.

If the blurb had referred to him as a Quarren Senator then I wouldn't have paid it no mind. However, they clearly refer to him as Tessek.

You might be right maybe Tessek is the Quarren equivalent of Antilles in SW, or Smith here on Earth.

Lord Tenebrous
02-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Tessek was originally supposed to be in TPM, but Lucas decided that he liked the new-style Quarren masks, and he made a new character, Tikkes. But now it appears that both will be in AOTC.

Our first hint was the appearance of both on the book cover of the Japanese Cloak of Deception:

Co Jo-Da
02-09-2002, 01:46 AM
After reading the article, I love how GL goes out of his way to not answer a direct question but he drops a small hint. Like the Podracing for example,"There's a podrace and a climactic battle. Well, there's a speeder chase and a big battle at the end. You can say that about all of them if you really wanted to." Oh well, just over 90 days to until you can find out the answers for your-self...

derek
02-15-2002, 09:19 AM
was anyone else disapointed by this issue? i recall the issue that previewed episode 1 to be a lot better. better photos, better article, and better interview. the only thing decent in this magazine is the versace ad:)

Rollo Tomassi
02-15-2002, 09:27 AM
Anyone care to elaborate on the "insulting" remarks about us (the internet message boards)?

Co Jo-Da
02-15-2002, 01:00 PM
Quote:

Lucas, for his part, claims not to give a damn about internet speculation-"That's sort of like the modern version of a sewing bee, where everybody sits around and gossips"-or about Episode I critics, saying he heard similar complaints about the first Star Wars, that it was "stupid-destructive to western culture."

Rollo Tomassi
02-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Well, that's true for the most part. For every intelligent poster, there is about twenty foul mouthed fanboys who give us all a bad name.

I can see him making that blanket statement, especially since he doesn't go into the chat rooms anymore. (DeckardSmith?)

2-1B
03-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Anyone care to elaborate on the "insulting" remarks about us (the internet message boards)?
In addition to the quote provided by Co Jo-Da, George W said, "the issue which came up, I guess, in some circles - or at least so I'm told - was that they expected Anakin to be a jerk, to be a real mean-spirited kid. And so they felt there was no character development on his part, because he started out as a nice kid, and he ended up a nice kid - which was the point! How could somebody like that turn into Darth Vader? That's what we're trying to find out . . . "

Originally posted by derek
the only thing decent in this magazine is the versace ad
Yeah, that was pretty hit or miss :D :D :D

Originally posted by Battle Droid
Mace? Strange, the Deluxe Mace figure doesn't have a beard, he must shave it.
Has anyone solved the mystery of Mace's beard yet ? ? ?

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
For every intelligent poster, there is about twenty foul mouthed fanboys who give us all a bad name.
Sadly, I must agree :( I've snooped around other message boards (not just SW related sites) and have found many nasty folks, downright rude. I really appreciate this site, it's well run and there are so many thoughtful forumites.

Cheers! :)