PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica & Buck Rogers 25th Century Toy Lines

indyjones1981
07-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Are there other Star Wars fans who were also fans of other Sci-Fi shows like the Classic Battle Star Galactica TV show and
Buck Rogers in the 25th Centruy TV show? Did anyone collect those action figures/toys back in the late 1970's and early 1980's along with Star Wars action figures and toys? If action figures were based on those lines today in the 3 3/4 inch scale of course would any of you buy/collect/support these two lines? Universal Television & Licensing is seeing what the market would be for these items. 2008 would be the 30th anniversary of the original Battle Star Galactica TV Show. Maybe figures would be produced for the 30 anniversary. Just curious to see what the reponse would be. Please post your response. Thank you.

JediTricks
07-07-2007, 12:30 AM
I had the Buck Rogers matchbox-sized die cast starfighter, probably had half a dozen of them over the years - kept losing them and such. I'd buy vehicles and figures to go with, but probably not figures on their own.

I think right now there is a market for BSG classic figures if there were new Vipers and Cylon Raiders to go with them, I can't get enough of the BSG Titanium Series 3" vehicles that are out right now.

indyjones1981
07-07-2007, 03:21 AM
I had the Buck Rogers matchbox-sized die cast starfighter, probably had half a dozen of them over the years - kept losing them and such. I'd buy vehicles and figures to go with, but probably not figures on their own.

I think right now there is a market for BSG classic figures if there were new Vipers and Cylon Raiders to go with them, I can't get enough of the BSG Titanium Series 3" vehicles that are out right now.
JediTricks thanks for the post. It would be cool to see new Vipers and Cylon Raiders ships for the action figures. Maybe you never know.

bigbarada
07-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I think it would be cool to see new 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' toys. That was one of my all-time favorite TV shows as a kid.

I think Col. Wilma Dearing was responsible for kickstarting puberty for me.:love:

indyjones1981
07-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I think it would be cool to see new 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' toys. That was one of my all-time favorite TV shows as a kid.

I think Col. Wilma Dearing was responsible for kickstarting puberty for me.:love:
Pehaps so but I am not sure which show had a bigger fan base but I would have to guess BSG. Toys from both classic tv shows would be awesome. Thanks for the reply. Erin Gray was hot! :)

figrin bran
07-08-2007, 01:15 AM
As a kid, I had a Viper toy and built a Cylon Raider model kit. I don't think i had any BSG figures though.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-08-2007, 01:34 AM
As a kid, I had a Viper toy and built a Cylon Raider model kit. I don't think i had any BSG figures though.

There were figures. I had the first six - Adama, Starbuck, Daggit, Cylon, Imperious Leader and Ovion. This site (http://www.toymania.com/334archives/battlestar/) says there was a second series of Baltar, Boray, Cylon Commander and Lucifer. I also had a Viper and Cylon Raider that came with small figures like the Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles would later have.

figrin bran
07-08-2007, 02:19 AM
There were figures. I had the first six - Adama, Starbuck, Daggit, Cylon, Imperious Leader and Ovion. This site (http://www.toymania.com/334archives/battlestar/) says there was a second series of Baltar, Boray, Cylon Commander and Lucifer. I also had a Viper and Cylon Raider that came with small figures like the Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles would later have.

Yes! that's the Viper toy that i had...the mini figure was either Apollo or Starbuck, i forget who exactly.

Jargo
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I always really wanted the figure of Daggit. I think I may have made a cardboard Viper. At some point.

I'd buy decent 3 3/4 scale BSG classic Cylon and Daggit figures i guess if they were really were decent.
but apart from Twiki I wouldn't touch Buck Rogers.
It's all about the robots for me.

I have a couple of recent silver Cylon figures that were given to me. one is 3 3/4 scale. think it's a Japanese figure. that's pretty darn cool. And an eight inch chromed one. I wanted the gold chrome variant but haven't found it anywhere yet.

indyjones1981
07-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the post/reply. Hope more people repond and leave comments. It would be awesome to see these lines re-made. Thanks again.

JediTricks
07-09-2007, 01:06 AM

I think Col. Wilma Dearing was responsible for kickstarting puberty for me.:love:I can ditto both of those. :p

I wouldn't buy Hawk or the other season 3 entries, but I'd be tempted to buy Col Dearing, Buck in 1 or 2 outfits, and Twiki with removable Dr Theopolis. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I used to think that Hawk was the coolest character of all time; but after watching the episodes on the DVD set that just came out, I've noticed what a ridiculous looking character he really was.

Even as a kid, I noticed the heavy Star Wars and Star Trek influences on season 3.

One cool thing I've recently noticed is the helmsman for The Searcher spaceship is Dennis Haysbert, who played the president on 24 for a few seasons, and he also does those Allstate commercials. Hmmmm, maybe I should go update his Wikipedia listing.

indyjones1981
07-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the post. I picked up the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century DVD also.

indyjones1981
08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the post. I picked up the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century DVD also.

Any one else have any comments about if they would collect Buck Rogers or Classic Battlestar Galacctica action figures & toys? Would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Old Fossil
08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
While I had a few figures of each of those lines as a kid, the toys no longer have any meaning for me, not to the extent that SW does. I probably wouldn't buy them, unless they were both well-made and cheap; and given the way the industry tends to fleece collectors, I doubt they could pull that off.

Plus, I don't have the frickin' room for any other toy line. Nearly all my LOTR figures are in storage at the moment, aside from Traveling Bilbo and the Moria Orc Archer.

indyjones1981
08-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming.

mtriv73
08-14-2007, 11:02 PM
if they made Buck Rodgers, Wilma, the old guy in the blue suit with grey hair, Twiki, and Dr. Theo I would buy them but only if they also made the fighter he flew in the same scale. Actually, I'd rather Hasbro just made the good guy and bad guy fighters in titanium scale.

For battlestar, I'd buy everything they made (new series especially) if it was 3-3/4" scale. I'm passing on all the 7" figures coming out this fall because I know they'll never make vehicles for them (plus they don't look very posable.)

JON9000
08-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I remember having a few figures of the BSG line, but I only had Draco from Buck Rogers. Buck was never in stock. Of course, the line did not last long, as the show didn't survive long (I find both practically unwatchable now). I get a kick out of the old MEGO toys, but I would not buy any new material.

There's a great video on youtube of Buck showing folks in the 25th Century how to get down 1979 style. It should also reaffirm the power of nostalgia and its ability to skew taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fHJ8NsppF4

JediTricks
08-21-2007, 06:59 PM
OH THE HUMANITY!!!! Nooooooooooo!