PDA

View Full Version : If there were no Star Wars....

stillakid
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
The question is, if Star Wars never existed, what would "we" be into? Aliens? Battlestar Galactica? Harry Potter? Predator? Buck Rogers?

This is a silly nonsensical illogical question, because if Star Wars wasn't made, then neither would most of the Sci-Fi that followed. But just for fun, assume that everything would have happened anyway even if Star Wars never was. What movie and/or movie series would have grabbed the likes of us? Any of them? None of them? Was Star Wars that unique?

JimJamBonds
07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Actually I think thats a pretty good question there Stilla. As for me the only other Sci fi thing that I'm really into is Star Trek TNG so I doubt that would have changed. I doubt if there is another series of movies that would have captured my interest like SW did.

Kidhuman
07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Excellent question, I know for sure I wouldnt be responding to this question.

Star Wars to me has always been great movies. I think it was the toys for me that got me really. Growing up playing with the action figures(then vintage) allowed me to explore and create new things with imagination. With out the movies, I probably would have been stuck with GI Joe action figures.

I probably would have had GI Joe as a kid, but gave it up back when I hit around 14 or 15. I dont think i would have kept on collecting the lines even into todays times.

There were no movies back then that created a franchise like SW did. It sparked the whole action figure line. With out the line of Kenner toys, I dont know that any other line would have taken off and given us what we have today.

Even back in 95 when I saw the first POTF2 figures, I was skeptical about collecting. I thought it would be a limited run and stop after a few figures. But look where we are now.

Star Wars has definitely changed the lives of all of us here one way or another. It has brought us all together from all around the world and given us what we love to talk about here.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-08-2007, 03:31 PM
If there were no Star Wars.........i'd have ALOT more $$$ in my bank account and a lot more space to spare on my third floor. heehehe But still, i've had lots of good times and met lots of awesome people through our love for Star Wars. I wouldn't take it back for anything! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I often ponder that question while gazing at the walls of my collection. My son thinks I would have enough money to buy a house, at least put a down payment on one. Star Wars came out when I was just 12, still trying to find myself. I wonder what I would be into, would I have an obsession with any one movie, or T.V. show, would I be with the person I am now with, would I be married and more succesful, would I have taken up an interest in sculpting had I not seen the Tauntauns running across the snowy planet of Hoth. Would I have more, or less friends than I do now? Hard to believe that one movie back in 1977, would still be fueling my joy 30 years later.

jjreason
07-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I'd simply fill the excess toy & brain space with the same things I like now - Marvel Comics and Sports. I think I'd like many of the same movies as I've never been much of a sci-fi fan outside of SW anyhow.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I'd simply fill the excess toy & brain space with the same things I like now - Marvel Comics and Sports. I think I'd like many of the same movies as I've never been much of a sci-fi fan outside of SW anyhow.
Same here, but not with the same things. I also like Harry Potter a lot, but not as much as SW, so I'd just "do" that more.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-08-2007, 08:55 PM
My initial Star Wars obsession as a kid had kind of fizzled out after the movies were done. I didn't even continue to get figures after only five ESB figures as I didn't really play with them anymore, or figured it was time to move on from playing with them. I still liked Star Wars and continued to enjoy the movies whenever I had a chance to seem them. Star Trek returned to TV, so much of the 90's I was a bit more obsessed with that. I also continued to grow my CD collection.

My Star Wars interest returned with the Zahn books. When more books came and I realized that that the Heir to the Empire trilogy wasn't episodes VII, VIII and IX, I lost a bit of interest. When a friend told me that they the books had pretty good continuity, I started to get back into it, though I am still way behind on the books and comics. I didn't start collecting the figures in 95 and 96 as I couldn't afford to and figured I shouldn't waste the money anyway. Not until Episode I, did I start collecting again.

So, I guess I haven't really answered the question. If there were no Star Wars, things wouldn't have been too different as a kid. That was only about three or four years of playing with the toys. I would have had more time to play with other toys or delve more into football stats.

In my 20's when I wasn't collecting, I still spent plenty of money on music and books. If I wasn't spending money on Star Wars figures now, I'd be able to save more money and still be able to buy other things. Maybe I'd spend less time on the computer posting here, but maybe I would instead spend it elsewhere on the web.

Jargo
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Dr. Who, drier sci-fi like 2001, silent running, stuff like Capricorn One. Planet of the apes. space 1999.

even without star wars I'd have got something to sink my teeth into. even if it was old B movies. or old comics.

maybe technology wouldn't have become so advanced and movies and TV would have stayed in the wobbly sets and shakey models stage a lot longer but I'm sure it would have been entertaining anyway.

2-1B
07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Wing Commander and Last Starfighter.

JediTricks
07-09-2007, 01:02 AM
If there were no SW, I'd be into Star Trek even more than I am now, and I'd still be into Babylon 5 but with more gusto. I'd talk about 2001 and Forbidden Planet more. :p

bigbarada
07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't think that I would really have any interest in sci-fi outside of just watching the occasional movie on television.

My childhood would have been preoccupied with GI Joe and Transformers, which I actually thought were superior toy lines when I was a kid anyway. But I would have probably just moved on to super-hero comics and video games in high school.

I would guess that the period of 1987-1994 would remain unchanged in my life, since Star Wars was nothing but a distant childhood memory at that point and it had little influence on the decisions I made.

When nostalgia started to hit me in 1995, I would have probably just started tracking down the GI Joes and Transformers that I always wanted but never owned.

JediTricks
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
There likely wouldn't have been GI Joe: A Real American Hero if not for SW, the scale and vehicle-driven line are based on the success of Kenner's SW line.

jedi master sal
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm like BigBarada. I'd have been into Joes and Transformers as I got those as well as a kid. I also was big into LEGO back then too.

If I fast forward to now, I'm into Firefly/Serenity, so I'd be into that much more.

While I've watched Trek, I can't say I was ever a hardcore fan. I still haven't seen the last two movies.

While Battlestar Galactica was a ripoff of SW back in the day, hypothetically if it was not, I'd be into that now as I kind of liked it back when.

But to be honest if SW weren't around, my life would be completely different so I can't honestly say where I would be. I went' to college for Industrial Design which taught me how to do bluescreen, stop and go motion photography, also learned model and miniature model making, set design, animatronics, latex masks, movie/monster make-up, etc. All of this was really a direct link to SW as I wanted to get as close to it as possible. From there I went into graphic design and learned photoshop and 3-D modeling/animation. Again a direct link.

I had always been an artist, so I probably would have pursued the graphic design portion of my schooling, but would have done that much sooner and consequently never met my fiancee.

So yeah, life would be VERY different for me. I'd probably be into sports a lot more, though I'm into it now, just don't collect much merch from it.

-Sal

BountyHunterScum
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Star Trek would own the world if SW never existed. Since SW does exist they have their own corners of the world now.

Lord Malakite
07-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Probably Power Rangers (even more so than now I mean). I'm telling you, its getting right up there with Transformers, Star Trek and Star Wars with its cult following. Power Rangers now even has its own fan convention (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrOjy905zY0). :D

JimJamBonds
07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Star Trek would own the world if SW never existed. Since SW does exist they have their own corners of the world now.

I'm not so sure about that since the tv show did squat and only after they started pumping out movies did it get truly big.

bigbarada
07-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm not so sure about that since the tv show did squat and only after they started pumping out movies did it get truly big.

And the only reason that they started making movies was to compete with Star Wars. They were in talks to revive the TV show in the late 70s and after Star Wars premiered that idea was scrapped to take advantage of the public's sudden interest in space movies. So, we got Star Trek: The Motion Picture instead of a second Star Trek TV series.

The Star Trek movie franchise owes it's existence to Star Wars.

Qui-Long Gone
07-11-2007, 10:59 AM
I love this question...without Star Wars:

Sci-fi: I would have followed Star Trek more but not been as much into space films....although for fantasy I'm a big LOTR fan...

Toys: I would have invested more (well, had my parents invest more!) in Gi Joe and Transformers...

Film: I think Star Wars gave me my interst in film so I don't know what would have happend....

Life: I wouldn't be such a nerd!:rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
While I've watched Trek, I can't say I was ever a hardcore fan. I still haven't seen the last two movies.A real Trek fan can happily admit that. :p They were abysmal.

Star Trek would own the world if SW never existed. Since SW does exist they have their own corners of the world now.While that'd be nice, I think Trek would have flamed out after Voyager and wouldn't have even bothered with Enterprise... wait, is that a bad thing?

Probably Power Rangers (even more so than now I mean). I'm telling you, its getting right up there with Transformers, Star Trek and Star Wars with its cult following. Power Rangers now even has its own fan convention (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrOjy905zY0). :D:eek::stupid::cross-eye <-- yeah, that covers it pretty well.

I'm not so sure about that since the tv show did squat and only after they started pumping out movies did it get truly big.Oh, you're high on the crack! The '70s Trek conventions were actually newsworthy back in the day and all they had going was 3 seasons of TOS and that crummy cartoon to go on.

And the only reason that they started making movies was to compete with Star Wars. They were in talks to revive the TV show in the late 70s and after Star Wars premiered that idea was scrapped to take advantage of the public's sudden interest in space movies. So, we got Star Trek: The Motion Picture instead of a second Star Trek TV series.

The Star Trek movie franchise owes it's existence to Star Wars.They were making the Trek movie on and off since the early-mid '70s, it kept going back and forth from movie to TV project. In fact, one of Ralph McQuarrie's jobs when Lucas was shooting SW was to go to London and work with Ken Barry on the new look of Trek.

And in fact, Star Trek:The Motion Picture made *more* money than SW in its first run despite being horribly edited and devoid of action.

bigbarada
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't think Star Trek would have experienced it's "glorious return" in the 80s if not for Star Wars.

Star Wars wetted everyone's appetite for sci-fi and then seemed to be gone almost as quickly as it arrived (the "dark years"). So, kids who grew up with Star Wars were hungry for more sci-fi, but since they were getting older they wanted something a little more well thought out and cerebral... Boom! Here comes Star Trek: TNG to fill that void.

BountyHunterScum
07-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Imo Voyager kinda sucked at times and Enterprise really sucked. Prequels do not work, watch the new Trek movie take a dump. No more prequels period!

stillakid
07-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't think Star Trek would have experienced it's "glorious return" in the 80s if not for Star Wars.

Star Wars wetted everyone's appetite for sci-fi and then seemed to be gone almost as quickly as it arrived (the "dark years"). So, kids who grew up with Star Wars were hungry for more sci-fi, but since they were getting older they wanted something a little more well thought out and cerebral... Boom! Here comes Star Trek: TNG to fill that void.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the deeper story of the Original Trilogy, the production design and action is what carried over for me the most. So movies like ALIENS and THE FIFTH ELEMENT have caught my eye far more than the more "nerdy" Star Trek series ever did. Trek was mildly entertaining for me if there was absolutely nothing else on and I wanted to watch something, but I never sought it out the way I wanted to see exciting sci fi action movies with outstanding visuals. For deeper more "cerebral" stories, I recall watching series like HILL STREET BLUES and later, ER. The character driven programs like Steven Bochco could turn out beat out any Trek episode I've ever seen.

As a kid, I recall eating up SPACE 1999 and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. To a lesser extent, Buck Rogers was something I watched, but likely more to see Erin Gray in that skin-tight outfit. :thumbsup: I even remember QUARK, which lasted all of about six episodes or so. We haven't had a good quality comedy set in space for a long time...and Mel Brooks doesn't count because his crap really isn't very funny.

But I don't really consider Star Wars or ALIENS or Fifth Element to be Sci Fi so much as they are ACTION films set in space. Something like 2001 or SILENT RUNNING is more like Sci Fi to me.

bigbarada
07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
While I thoroughly enjoyed the deeper story of the Original Trilogy, the production design and action is what carried over for me the most. So movies like ALIENS and THE FIFTH ELEMENT have caught my eye far more than the more "nerdy" Star Trek series ever did. Trek was mildly entertaining for me if there was absolutely nothing else on and I wanted to watch something, but I never sought it out the way I wanted to see exciting sci fi action movies with outstanding visuals. For deeper more "cerebral" stories, I recall watching series like HILL STREET BLUES and later, ER. The character driven programs like Steven Bochco could turn out beat out any Trek episode I've ever seen.

Well I can't speak for Cable TV, but in 1987 there was nothing like Star Trek: The Next Generation on network television. I was 13 when the series premiered and it was a big deal. Although I was less than impressed with Season 1 and lost interest about halfway through Season 2; but when I caught episodes of Season 3 like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "Best of Both Worlds" I was totally hooked.

After reading your post, I now realize that it was the more action-packed episodes that captured my interest primarily because that is when the series seemed the most Star-Wars-like.

I also caught the tail-end of Robotech: The Macross Saga (mostly the comic book series) in the late-80s and was pretty obsessed with that as well.

Tycho
07-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I'd be into Star Trek, Terminator, and Transformers, and modern westerns like Young Guns and Tombstone, also Band of Brothers.

Plus I connect with others into the rock opera like Queensryche which I love.

I'd probably still enjoy action figures and making dioramas, definitely of war genres.

There might be room for Indiana Jones without Star Wars, too.

BattleStar Galactica was also awesome. It's cool for me to really enjoy stuff and be like "a fan" of it and communicate with others that I have this in common with.

I develop some of my own ideas with that sort of phenomenon in mind - but not the majority of it.

JediTricks
07-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Star Trek was riding high after Wrath of Khan, but when The Voyage Home came along that movie TORE IT UP - huge box office and public attention - and not one phaser or photon torpedo was fired. It was Trek's 20th anniversary and Trek was going incredibly strong, I went to a Trek con in early '86 before that movie came out and it was UNBELIEVABLE, standing room only despite a second fee to get in to see Shatner & Nimoy talking on stage, people were being turned away. This was a year before TNG was even announced.

A year later only in the same LAX area was Star Wars' first convention, the 10th anniversary and the release of Star Tours at Disneyland, Lucas himself was at the con (not like at CIV, that flanneled basta**!) and not even close to as big a draw. Yet that year, Trek cons were springing up everywhere both big and small as they announced ST:TNG. And TNG became the largest-viewed syndicated show ever at that time.

Tycho
07-14-2007, 01:13 AM
In Star Trek IV, Kirk used a phaser to shoot the door lock in the hospital where Chekov was being treated.

El Chuxter
07-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Da-da-da-day, da-da-da-da-day-ay, Da-da-da-day, da-da-da-da-day-ay
Da-da-da-day, da-da-da-da-day-ay

You ca-all me your friend but you only want my gifts
And I'll never see you if I had no Star Wars

[Do the new jack swing on my n**s!!]

JediTricks
07-15-2007, 11:00 PM
In Star Trek IV, Kirk used a phaser to shoot the door lock in the hospital where Chekov was being treated.
Klingon handheld Disruptor, actually.

Tycho
07-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah. Alright.

If there was no such things as Star Wars, JediTricks would go to Alf Conventions. ;)

stillakid
07-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Quark, anyone?