PDA

View Full Version : mm fashion reports: denver (& your dateline?)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

vulcantouch
08-23-2001, 12:00 AM
note: those new to this are advised to read at least the first post of the thread this one continues (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=20&PID=4636), so you'll be able to follow the following blather :p now then:
for this week's report i spose i Could just point you to this parisian-rain-slicked, zeitgeist-soaked image (http://fan.starwars.com/forumforce/files/aut_4656teamm_6f.jpg) brought to you courtesy of shutterbug richard aVeTon (and, of course, r2's website & digicam :) ), but let's take things a bit deeper and discuss how Biography, properly modulated, can inform one's mm fashion sense :)
i'm sure y'all are aware that once upon a time, the color black's fashion contexts were limited strictly to mourning and some formal wear. but what i'll bet y'all Didn't know is the how black went from that limited use to its current, de rigeur wardrobe status for everyone from mulleted, dirtball metalheads to goth cafe poseurs to johnny cash ;) the answer is gabrielle chanel. when her lover boy capel died, she vowed to make the World mourn for him, and begun using unprecedented amounts of black in unprecedented fashion contexts.
this would have been mere momentary egotistic caprice, if not for the fact that chanel was also an uncanny fashion sorceress and realized (unconsciously, perhaps) that, despite its upsettings of convention, using black as a staple would work Perfectly with the modernistic, paring down of detail and silhouette which has been such an inherent part of 20th century fashion. as a result, to this day anyone with even a hint of fashion sense periodically "mourns" capel, just as coco intended :cool:
so, how would we inject biographical subtext into Our mm fashion, without falling into the trap of overliteral triteness? first, we might do well to not Try. for example, i've been doing it for a couple of weeks now, only i hadn't realized it.
the key is Modulation. you don't go for the result directly; it's best if it's a side effect that snuck in while you weren't looking. if someone can not only Sense, but Put Into Words, what you're trying to do, you're either being too obvious or they're the world's most preceptive & articulate critic ;)
looking back on my last coupla reports (and this week's as well), what struck me was the way they inexpliciably reminded me again and again of my summer of '81, during which i was building plastic model tanks (1/72 & 1/35 scale). i also noticed my selections graViTating towards more miltary hues & designs (dropship, apc, tac fighter, stealth, fettpacks). back then i even made (out of some detailed leftover parts) what one might call ancestors to the scifi mms we know today (they were EXACTLY the same size and, though cobbled from military bits, their configurations had unmistakable sci fi connotations- one recalled like an isd, one looked like sark's Tron carrier, etc). but i didn't know Why. oh sure they worked within the moment aesthetically, but that didn't explain the referential coherence. then i realized: Summer's Ending. when you're a kid that's a poignant time, one in which, in my case, one realized the days of endlessly obsessing over one's tanks are finite.
the quality of the daylight- from which i take my cues- is much the same in august '01 as it was in august '81. so in conjuring my present-day mm "fashion shows", i've been inadvertantly drawing on and evoking those poignant times.
as you may be able to infer from the selection below, that influence continues this week. but probably not the next; i can already feel that moment passing. just thought i'd explain it all the same, though :)
-b5 raider
-vorcha
-warbird
-med frigate
-moncal
-centauri destroyer
-mini t-16 from potf luke
-narcissus
-also, i'm currently borrowing from b'jr a green-camo-colored, military edition of the tx-4a seen on jj's galvoy page here (http://www.geocities.com/snag5/mmmff16.jpg). a sculpt which apparently saw repaint life as a galvoy. if i can't find said gv repaint, i may ask b'jr to trade me this, as its "schwarzneggerian ark II" look has kinda grown on me. alas, he only has this one, so if he's not willing, maybe y'all can keep an eye open :)
vt
np: randy newman, "social studies" (aka "let's drop the big one now") :)

LTBasker
08-23-2001, 02:29 AM
Why not just cut off the nacelles to the Enterprise-D micro or The Enterprise and put'em together to make some odd shirt? heh. Well... this thread is rather...weird. Tho I did like the idea of having the Jem'Hadar fighter mm as a badge that was mentioned in the one thread you linked. :D Hmm... well, a Cardassian Obsidian mm or Galor mm wouldn't make bad either since the two are in the same shape as the Cardassian insignia. OR am I just so sleep deprived right now that I'm not thinking straight and this post is completely missing the point of this thread? hehe. :D

vulcantouch
08-29-2001, 03:33 PM
. . .in which one designer showed a dress made entirely of yellow #2 pencils! when the model slinked by they clattered against each other & gave the runway a first-day-of-school whiff :eek: sheesh, where's the shalimar when you need it? :p
i agree cardieships'd make cool badges, but not cuz they resemble the Union logo, but cuz they look cool period. they're among my fave mms :)
today's report
this week's Vibe, like that of a few of the previous weeks, has an ambivalent character. but unlike those previous weeks, this ambivalence does not derive from transitional aspects. instead it derives from an inexplicable but unmistakable attempt on the part of the Vibe itself to deceive us into believing that summer is Not ending after all. and it's doing a good job too, by trafficking in summer-like temps and even some summer-like precip patterns. it's also helped by the part of us that doesn't Want the summer to be ending. but we are not fooled. we Know- both from the sun's arc in the sky and our memories of a summer that could not have been more perfectly, Richly reveled in- that the wheel Must be turning.
though we don't know whether the Vibe is being self-indulgently wistful, trying to tempt us to indulge in same, or both. but since the Vibe is our Prime Directive, we are forced to respect its deceptive whim even as it seeks to confuse us. so, as when a boss who lacks the talent for joke-telling tries to crack up his staff, we play along. but only to a point; any more would not only be condescending, but beneath our abilities. so we strike a shrewd, sneaky compromise, and answer its inscrutable headgames with some of our own! let the Vibe just Try to gauge our sincerity from the following spread :cool:
-r2b1
-dud bolt pod (mm fashioned from racer)
-aldar beedo pod
-maquis
-sst dropship
-x99 microinvader (http://www.geocities.com/snag5/mmgv3.jpg)
-z12 nucleoresponder (http://www.geocities.com/snag5/mmgv4.jpg)
-narn fighter
chew on That, Vibe! :p
vt
np: debbie harry, "backfired" (rodgers/edwards write/produce)

good shot jansen
08-30-2001, 07:32 AM
can make the mm experience, such a hazy, gauzey, dreamy, rememberance of long ago childhood joys by the shores of lake wobegone!

tonights display of mm's in the jansen houshold will be x-rays under black lights to remind me of carefree days of catching fireflies in the wanning days of late summer evenings of past.

:)

np: the beatles - things we said today

vulcantouch
09-05-2001, 04:24 PM
in that case:
"greedy for happiness, i asked nothing of life but that it consist of a series of joyous afternoons."
so pass them MMadelaines, MadeMoiselle ;)
the vibe continues her deceptive ways, resorting this week to desperate, undignified trickery such as trying to obscure a key clue (the angle of the sun's arc thru the sky) with cloud cover, and changing from cloud to sun quickly and unpredictably in order to keep us distracted & off-balance. yeah right, like That smack's gonna work on Us :p thanx to one of our patented, handy-dandy, presto-change-o, hot-standby, shield-frequency-modulating Spectrums (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=20&PID=4636&seen=30) (clearest first, cloudiest last), we get the jump on All them snootchiebootchies:
-b5 station
-z12
-tiebomber
-retrieval ship
-clegg holdfast pod (mm fashioned from pakracer)
-klingon d7
-reb transport
-baltian (a la the 4lom/zuckuss naming fiasco, this mm's officially called arquillian, but anyone who's Seen mib knows better :) )
-b5 green
-alpha cc
-runabout
-quiksnap kazon
-ds9
vt (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/003043.html)
np: sakamoto, "music for yohji yamamoto collection 1995"

vulcantouch
09-12-2001, 11:52 PM
. . .but only on the understanding that next week we're comin back with a Vengeance :cool:
vt

LTBasker
09-13-2001, 12:37 AM
Hmm....hehe, a hand band that has upper and lower DS9 pylons all around it. A shirt made up of various Starfleet/Cardassian/Romulan/Jem'Hadar/Bajoran/Klingon MMs to make up the DS9 battles? There'd be an interesting piece. ;) Hmm, shoes made up of nacelle pieces? hehe. A hat made out of spare DS9 parts with a spinning B5 station on top. :D

vulcantouch
09-19-2001, 11:20 PM
just as spring goes hand-in-hand with '80s nostalgia, so is fall the domain of the '70s. that decade's tacky palette- acidic avocado, hotrod chrome, searing orange, blaring yellow- echoes not only fall's foliage but also its sunsets, the year's clearest. and as luck would have it, the retro 70's vibe of fall- gaudy, giddy, stoked & naive- happens to be the ideal antidote for these times of a world forever changed (my proust quote above seems pretty poignant now, eh?).
3 weeks ago, in looking forward to the mms that would take center stage during the equinox, i realized that they all sported some measure of 3 palette-defining colors: orange, yellow and deep blue-green. (i assure you it is mere coincidence that these are the three colors yielded when adding yellow to the currently all-the-rage red-white&blue; mm fashion is rarely so literal.)
though leaves began to turn last week, murky skies swirled & lingered eerily, which couldn't help but bring to mind wtc smoke, during which only the following worked:
-isd
-ds2 (on dm trophy base)
-mmm ds2 (on pylon hole of dm trophy base)
-ea atmos shuttle
-mmm falcon
-alpha b
-sandcrawler
-b5 raider
-khaki stealth
as anyone here can Surely see, that's No way to inaugurate FALL :o luckily, today an electric blue sky finally prevailed. eager for a fieldtest, we hit the diagonal-wood patio of Racine's (http://racinesrestaurant.com/racines_home.htm) and deployed our mork-suspender-esque rainbow:
-r2b1
-multi-colored rocketpak from '95 fett
-k-bop v.1
-gv ssp recon warrior (http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hobson/gv.htm)
-sebulbapod
-cloud car
-ferengi
-n1
-vorlon transport
-boles roor pod (mm fashioned from pakracer)
-ipi toys' light/sound tos communicator keychain (about the size of a dc vehicle; "i Love classic 23rd century design- black finish, silver highlights" -dax, ds9's "trials & tribble-ations" :) )
result: the above turbo-charged mm convoy effected a decisive reclaiming of our afternoon, cafe-slummin' oasis. in other words: ladies & gentlemin, mm fashion is BACK :cool:
vt
np: pablo cruise, "your place in the sun"

LTBasker
09-20-2001, 07:37 AM
Do ya think Death Stars would be REALLY uncomfortable though? :D shirt made out of Star Destroyers and rocket packs with an N1 on the chest as a sort of "badge." :P You got the funky fashion reports, and my mind comes up with stuff for the stuff in'em... 'Course at least they're not as bad as BC3's idea for Klingon V'Cs. :D :rolleyes: but still a weird idea...is a weird idea. ;)

vulcantouch
09-26-2001, 10:45 PM
since fall is one of the few times (around here anyway) when one can usually depend on being able to watch the afternoon sun arc thru the sky unobstructed by cloud cover all the way to the horizon, it naturally follows to ask what mms work best during the last hour or two of daylight.
to begin with, one can never go wrong by deploying the trusty "mexican restaurant appetizer triumViraTe" (chips, salsa & guacamole) flying straight outta the late-day light & towards you, their elongated, high-contrast shadows pulling off em & cutting a swath across the table:
-cardie galor (chips)
-sisko sailor (salsa)
-hms bounty (guac)
then, augment this classic trinity with any combo of the following for a well-rounded meal:
-ipi communicator
-jabbarge (one of my Least favorite ships)
-landspeeder
-ferengi
-gen kbop
-b5 green
-'95 fettpack
-300fett figure (likewise, position him so you're starin down his barrel with the settin sun blazin behind him, for a real Man With No Name feel :) )
vt
np: america, "horse w/no name"

vulcantouch
10-03-2001, 11:38 PM
fall's a strong, distinct vibe, but it does change slightly as it progresses. as such, the previous two palettes remain valid, except it's time to take r2b1 out of the early/midaft rotation, and add:
-vorlon cruiser
-anakin pod
-stargazer :)
vt
np: jigsaw, 'sky high' (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=642726631/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=JIGSAW/itemid=548643)

LTBasker
10-03-2001, 11:50 PM
A Stargazer?!?! Who wants to wear a Constellation class micro? :D

By the way, VT, I have gained a Kazon Fighter to add to the trade list, and I'll let you know on one other ship that I am currently going after. ;)

vulcantouch
10-09-2001, 11:08 PM
"it's a Date; ya Eat em" :rolleyes:
admittedly, not All fall days are sunny. for the other times, this spectrum (arranged least to most cloudy) should suffice:
-falcon
-moseislandsp
-ywing
-gv dathon
-b5 raider
-droid fighter
-centauri destroyer
-sandcrawler
-ea atmoshuttle
-earth science ship
vt
np: donald ***en, "glamour profession"

good shot jansen
10-10-2001, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
np: donald ***en, "glamour profession"

it's his name dammit!!:mad:

the auto censor is workin' waaaaay overtime!:(

he's only the lead guy fer steely dan, and heaven knows, they never offended anyone:rolleyes:

np: john wesley harding - warning parental advisory

vulcantouch
10-17-2001, 12:38 PM
shall we let self-xplanatory pix (http://fan.starwars.com/sabretoothcollection/files/tatmm_7aut_4804.jpg) do the job this week? why not- but with one addition:
brunch report
during prev-mentioned recent brunch w/b'jr (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=13761#post13761), he & i found that for some reason a special "bc3 gift package" palette worked Perfect:
-quiksnap voy
-mmm delta flyer
both of which bc3 recently kindly sent me :cool:
vt

LTBasker
10-17-2001, 02:03 PM
As Spock has said countless times, "Fasinating..."

britcit3
10-17-2001, 02:24 PM
Nice selection - the Earth Science Vessel is great, isn't it?.

Just one thing - isn't the Vorlon Cruiser backwards? I always thought that they flew "prongs" forward.

VT - bagged B'Omarr at huge toy fair at our National Exhibition Centre for 20 - thought that was OK.

And that, I think, makes it a complete set of Star Wars droids.

The real find of the toy fair was 2 very vintage BLACK HOLE action figs - gun slinger robot and Maxamillian (? spelling - the bad *** mother droid with the spinners). They really are superb and will take pride of place in the forthcoming "My Kick *** Droid Collection".

BC3

britcit3
10-17-2001, 02:35 PM
PS

The Star Trek board is up and running again.

And our mutual friend is already offering his wares at very "reasonable" prices.

BC3

vulcantouch
10-17-2001, 11:59 PM
. . .won't i (http://startrektoys.com/micro/index.htm#0000003f)? :D
backwards? how should i know, i never watched b5 ;) that just looked like it should be the front to me, so that's how i display it :rolleyes:
omigod, 20?? that's like $40, right?? :( original cost of these, including shipping, was $8 as i recall. anyhoo, did they have any other cool stuff at that huge toycon? :)
gunslinger reminds me, i wish they'd make tron mms ships, incluing recognizer which kinda looks like gunslinger :)
vt
np: jb, Black Hole score

good shot jansen
10-18-2001, 10:43 AM
they wouldn't let me have the display star trek ships, and they didn't have any of the sw either:mad:

so vt, if you want the naboo and droid fighters (i was gonna send em to you anyway), lm...................er you don't have to lmk, you'll find a good home fer em, even if you don't need em.

brit cit sent me a r2-q5, which is fabulous!!!!! sittin on my screen here at werk is the following

r2-q5
af rancor
snapfest trade fed lander
trophy maul repaint infiltrator
bajoran fighter
bronze ent-a
applause floating cloud city

fall is in the air (even though it's 85 degrees outside!)

np: nick lowe - you inspire me

britcit3
10-18-2001, 11:35 AM
Just finished my new baby......the Terminator 2 Heavy Ground Hunter Killer.

Well, you've gotta use those crappy military MM's somehow.

The pic doesn't do it justice - honestly.

BC3

Also finished Imperial Mobile Assault Canon (big TIE tank - will update soon).

britcit3
10-19-2001, 02:04 AM
FAO Messrs Touch & Basker

Hats off to you - very forthright.

BC3

vulcantouch
10-23-2001, 11:16 PM
i cherish any fresh chance i get to make HoRseCaRcass my smackaround Beeyotch :D our next step: mash 'im flat w/your new heavy-ground hk :)
sounds like gsj's following bc3 & me into droiddom, eh? (actually i don't collect all droids, just a few) also sounds like gsj don't just dig the q5 for its holo-ds "mm" :) not a bad autumnal verkstation palette, considering y'all down in florida don't have Real Seasons from which to draw fashinspiration :p but i Must say, any palette which includes that take-a-dump rancor is inevitably gauche :p i can only iMagine your colleagues' horror; tsk tsk, turnin em offa mms before they even hadda chance to get into em :rolleyes:
here in denver we're now in the final, most bombastic stage of fall foliage colors: rust, orange, yellow, olive, maroon, salmon. soon, all will fade to a muddy brown and drop away.
in response, carpe diem:
-sandcrawler
-titan ae phoenix
-mose.island.speeder
-ywing
-alpha b-wing
-alpha snowspeeder
-snapfast mtt
-snapfast tf lander
-droid fighter
-b5 raider
-gv dathon
vt
np: grace jones, "autumn leaves"

good shot jansen
10-24-2001, 03:00 PM
they all seem to like the rancor best!

i've added the betty to the fall line up as well, it's green tiger striping over the gouldens mustard colored body, makes this a teriffic autumnal addition!

as fer droid's i must say, the r2-q5 has piqued my interest in collectin' em. (only the r2- variety). mason has a r2-d2 (the one with booster rockets). ialso have an unopened royal starship with the red r2 unit at home (one day we'll get around to opening it, when we get a bigger boat in which to put it in)(sheeesh, 3 feet of toy, no wonder i like micro machines!). are there any other r2 type droids out there? i love the blue and gold one which came with the mm royal starship repair play set, did they make one in a potf size?

np: blink 182 - all the small things

britcit3
10-24-2001, 04:16 PM
Yes they did make an Ep1 fig of the blue and gold one - it's called R2-B1 and is a really cool figure.

You can also buy POTF R5-D4 which is a bit naff as it is scuplted way too big, the head doesn't turn and the middle foot is fixed in place (as there is a hidden missile launcher in the centre of the droid - thrilling!).

The vintage R5-D4 is much better as it actually looks like the droid.

All of the above will soon be appearing on my new page.

Cheers

BC3

LTBasker
10-24-2001, 10:36 PM
1. Vintage R2-D2
2. Vintage R5-D4
3. Vintage ESB R2 with Sensor scope (Same mold as first vintage R2 but with a hole for the scope)
4. Vintage ROTJ R2 with lightsaber (Same mold as first vintage R2 but with a hole for the saber)
5. POTF2 R2-D2
6. POTF2 R5-D4
7. POTF2 (Freeze Frame) R2-D2 with Tools
8. Flash Back R2-D2 with launching lightsaber
9. COMMtech R2-D2 with little clear blue "hologram" of Leia (The same mold of this R2 was the one used for R2-Q5)
10. Episode 1 R2-D2 with booster rockets
11. Episode 1 Red R2 unit (forgot the name of it)
12. Episode 1 R2-B1 with regeneration unit
13. POTJ R2-D2 with wheels on feet
14. POTJ R2-Q5

I think that's all the astromech droid figures.

good shot jansen
10-26-2001, 08:31 AM
it really is a nice addition! the two tone brown (burnt sienna?) and copper markings on the engine cowling, the bright orange of the engine exhaust array, all offset by the little white snowball dot at the front of the fusalage(to of course remide us that winter is a comin'), and the frosted blue of the cockpit glass actually makes this ship a perfect fall vehicle!

now if there was only a way to display this ship on it's display stand properly, without having to off set it to one side or the other due to the proximity of the stabalizer fin to the mounting hole:mad:

oh well, at least it's an original, genuine micro machine, unlike it's counter part drej stinger! da heck is that?! the mm design team musta been liquored up at the time. it coulda been a real interesting ship, instead we're given this piece of glossy transparent blue free form void of any detail, that is waaaaay outta scale with anything else in the mm universe. additionlly the firing missle workings are atrocious, and the dayum missle ain't even red like shown on the box, it's fricken taupe! red would have been a nice offset.................

whooops! i do sound like marvin!:eek:

vulcantouch
10-30-2001, 11:51 PM
. . .(to of course remide us that winter is a comin')"
-oh my God, i thought I was bad :rolleyes: yer Sick, yknow that?? it seems i've created a fashion MMoahn-stah, and it's aliiive ;) so That's what i sound like, hm? "i finally understand my childhood nickname, 'run run it's him' " -elliott, GAL ep "bad fish" :D
kitschy plaque for gsj's kitchen wall:
"whichever belly swallers my guests,
"it seems they like my rancor's best" :p
seconding your criticism of the stinger, and bc3's praise of r2b1, goes great w/corusguard, &/or q5 & rocket d2 :)
i'm glad you agree re phoenix, but hey, Quit Rubbin In the fact that i didn't get a betty in fashionable time for the fall season :( ;) why not just put the phoenix's stand on frontwards? it'll balance :)
full moon halloween report
maybe y'all overseas don't have this holiday, but all you really need to know is that its traditional colors are orange & black. thus:
-sebulbapod
-ea atmoshuttle
-rom bop
-tie (its lattices look like spiderwebs :) )
-alpha ywing (thanx gsj)
-interrogator droid
mib arquillian battlecruiser (at our last tea r2 & i decided this particular shade of purple somehow qualifies as halloweeny, though we weren't able to figure out exactly Why. besides, its orange gunports help seal the deal :) )
potf barquin dan (cuz he's altogether OOOKY :o )
potj duros (his head looks like a squash and his eyes have that nice pumpkin color; also, he looks like boris karloff :)
vt
np: elton, "crocodile rock" (the closest sound in my collection to "monster mash" by bobby "boris" pickett & the cryptkicker five :) )

jeddah
10-31-2001, 07:46 AM
Okay, my fourpenneth worth, inspired by your Hallowquillian schemes;

The only mm that I've ever found to been reminiscent of other things is the Snowspeeder which reminds me of planaria or some other kind of flatworm/louse.

jeddah

vulcantouch
11-06-2001, 11:12 PM
. . .in response to your post i went back & made a coupla additions to last week's palette :)
anyone comin down with dat flu goin round? yes? well then, in contrast to the spicy, seasonal color-riot we just downed, here's some nice bland chicken soup:
-kirk's 1701
-galileo
-rombop
-bot bay
-tibanna
-optional figure: vintage boussh wearing a sote helmet
-and of course the supercool buckyroj diecast gsj sent me last week :)
vt
np: linda clifford, "if my friends could see me now"

good shot jansen
11-07-2001, 09:46 AM
whooo boy! don't that stand out like a brown shoe at a black tie affair? i mean with all that drabness going on about!

oh i get it now! the tibanna is the bullion cube prior to being desolved into the soupy mix!

hows bout a shriwirr as the knadle?;)

np: carole king - the ballad of chicken soup (really rosie soundtrack)

vulcantouch
11-13-2001, 11:31 PM
on the other hand, sometimes an unpredictable inclusion like that just seems to work for Some reason, whether or not we can come up w/an illustrative analogy or theoretical construct to xplain xactly Why :happy:
off-white, w/dashes of red & blue, call out to me this week; why? the fall of kabul? yesterday's VeTerans day holiday? a bit of VatrioTism wormin its way into vt's palette? who knows :confused: anyhoo:
-captyacht
-dc bucky
-imp lander
- " " w/hingewings
-tyderium w/ " "
-rbr
-hallmark controlfreak (thanx swaffy :D )
-suncrusher
-titan phoenix (there's that ol boullion cube agin :p )
btw, i tried to look up the definition of "knadle", but either you made it up or, more likely, Misspelled it :stupid: so, i'm gonna assume it means. . .
np: barnes & barnes, "fish heads"
vt

good shot jansen
11-14-2001, 06:48 AM
you gettin' marmie on me me again?

well jes call me a lost boy!:Pirate:

np: i won't grow up - peter pan original broadway cast album!:kiss:

SWAFMAN
11-14-2001, 02:41 PM
y'know? I think there's something truly medicinal about matzoh ball soup. A few days ago, I had the sore throat from hell. I was positive I was coming down with tonsilitis. Remembering my childhood (I was "Jewish-by-marriage" in that I had both a Jewish stepmother and stepfather), I went to the local restaurant that has the nerve to call itself not just "A" deli, but "THE Deli." Bear in mind that this is a town where when they ask you what kind of bread you want with your corned beef sandwich, they don't mean just rye or pumpernickel. They'd bring it to you on wonderbread with mayo if you asked, and never so much as bat an eyelash. If there's one drawback to living in a small town, It's the lack of a good selection of quality ethnic foods. I'd practically kill for a falafel - not even a good one - just any falafel (but I digress)((but then, this entire post is a digression!!!!)) Getting back to the soup.... either it's been so long since I had a real bowl of matzoh ball soup that I can't remember what good stuff tastes like, or "THE" Deli really did manage to make a decent bowl, because the next day my absolutely certain case of tonsilitis was gone. I'm sure this has been the burning issue keeping you all awake nights :rolleyes: it's ok, you can relax now. I'm feeling better.

--Forget "Bring Back MicroMachines Dammit!" Bring a Canter's Fairfax to my town! (j/k gsj) ;)

good shot jansen
11-14-2001, 02:55 PM
i remeber that joint back when i did my stint in la. summer of 1980! one night i went there with a couple of friends about 11:00pm as i recall, and sitting at the booth next to us was jack lemon and walter mathau! the odd couple!:) that joint was always busy any time of day or night!

if you guys ever get to nyc, and are hankering for some incredible edible deli, youse gots to get yourself over to the 2nd avenue deli! it's on the corner of 10th street and 2nd avenue. by far, it is the best jewish fleisch (meat) delicatessen ever!

for dairy, it's grand dairy at the corner of grand street and essex street! the best black bread in the world, and the potato soup is to die for! wash it down with a gless (that's not a spelling error, they call it gless not glass) of cold cherry borscht, and you'll know you've eaten well!:happy:

btw, if you want really bad deli, come to florida:rolleyes: , this joint stinks when it comes to soul food:frus:

SWAFMAN
11-14-2001, 03:22 PM
...aw c'mon GSJ, Pumpernicks wasn't all that bad, although it was inconsistent, which is just as bad if you hit the place on a bad day/night. And I can't recall the name, but there was one other good place up around Boca somewhere. 'Spensive tho'!

Can't believe you've been to Canter's! That place is great at any hour, but for a real experience, you should go there around 2:30 or 3:00 AM. That's when the "folks that never see the sun" come in - the hardcore punkers/rockers/generally-whacko-types. The Mos Eisley Cantina ain't got nuthin' on Canter's late-nite. Cool that you saw "the Odd Couple" there. It's not unusual to catch many-a-celeb there. At lunch & dinner times you can see lotsa CBS TV stars there since it is caddy-corner to the CBS Television City offices & studios. For people-watching, there's another deli in the Valley called Jerry's Famous Deli. The food is so-so, but it's another place where the real "alien-types" come out late at night. I ate next to Billy Idol there once.

I agree though, NYC DOES have the best deli. I don't think I've tried the places you mentioned. It's been way too many years since I had NY deli. Gimme a hot corned beef, a bowl of matzoh ball, potato pancakes (or a piping, steaming hot potato knish!!!), and a bottle of Dr. Brown's cel-ray! Omigod! I may need to take a drive to NYC this weekend! Yer killin' me here, GSJ! :eek:

good shot jansen
11-14-2001, 03:42 PM
yeah, they were awright:o , as were wolfies, and corky's. however, they were all gobbled up by some corporate machine or another, and were closed and reopened (in name only), and pretty much stink on ice. the problem with florida, is in order to make a good bread for the sandwich, (as well as soup broth, bagles, mixing, whatever), ya needs good water, and that my friend, we ain't got! (ever taste the swill that comes outta the taps down here? yech! (hollywood where thank goodness i live, actually has fairly decent water, and thus we also have the only deli that i can fairly tolerate down here, deli den)

i know what you mean aout the late night/early morning ghoul types at canters, that's what i was alluding to when i said that place was non-stop any hour of the day or night!:Pirate:

SWAFMAN
11-14-2001, 03:47 PM
GSJ - I lived in Jacaranda and went to Plantation H.S. for a semester. I know very well (no pun intended) the stinky, sulphurous, swamp-gas that passes for H2O in SoFla. Good point about it hampering baking and cooking in general. I didn't consider that.

(so just HOW does that crappy water end up making such sweet, delicious Oranges and yummy lemons & limes????)
:confused:

JediTricks
11-15-2001, 12:34 AM
CANTERS?!? That dive? That place is literally the restaurant that began the need for the "cleanliness grades" (and I'm no fan of their food). Now for REAL high-quality jewish deli in LA, try Juniors on Westwood and Pico... me and my dad both grew up on their free pickles and their fantastic soup, coleslaw, bbq beef sandwiches, reubens, egg creams, Dr Browns' cream soda, 7-layer-cake... damn I wish I still lived on the west side. ;)

Canters is really only good for the Kibbitz Room connected to it IMO, there is such an eclectic group of people coming in and out of there at night that you can't help but feel welcome simply by being DIFFERENT. Luckily, there's a 24-hour pizza joint right across the street if you want GOOD food. :D

Jerry's Famous is a chain, and I don't eat at chain delis. ;)

Swaffo, Falafel is very easy to make, they have a mix at many stores, it's basically just chickpeas and herbs/spices, and you make it into a ball and deep fry it up. Get yourself some sauce and pita bread, and you've got yourself a real falafel.

Oh, that reminds me, it's almost time for my grandma to make latkes (potato pancakes) - it's the one Jewish food my sister can't get enough of. I love those things, it almost makes Hannukah better than Xmas in my family!

britcit3
11-15-2001, 01:44 AM
24 hour pizza joint? You lucky yanks!

BC3

good shot jansen
11-15-2001, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Oh, that reminds me, it's almost time for my grandma to make latkes (potato pancakes) - it's the one Jewish food my sister can't get enough of. I love those things, it almost makes Hannukah better than Xmas in my family!

nothing like a deep fried belly bomber for the holidays!:happy:

what traditional jewish food lacks in spices, and added flavoring, is more than made up in grease and chicken fat! :happy: oh baby!

jeddah
11-15-2001, 10:19 AM
gimme chopped liver on cholla !

::greedy:

jeddah

SWAFMAN
11-15-2001, 12:55 PM
JT - I've been to Junior's. As I recall, it was a popular lunch spot for cops and legal-types. Was/is there some sorta courthouse or something around there? Isn't it sorta near the Nuart theatre? It's been over 10 years since I was in LA, but I lived there for over 15 years. I prolly ate at over 2000 different restaurants in that time. As for Canter's "cleanliness," it was well-worn as far as the fixtures were concerned but I never thought it looked grundgy. Although, my standards have matured quite a bit since those days. ;)

I see the falafel mixes at the store all the time, but there's just something intangibly different about the ones from the little storefront falafel stands. F'rinstance, there was one about a block up from Canter's, on the same side o' the street like between Canters and the high school - with a white & blue paint job and sign. Mmmmm they made good ones. And there was a ptomaine-trap on H-wood Blvd around like Western or Cherokee, or somewhere like that, on the north side o' the street. They had the lamb in the glass box on a rotating spit, and they made a decent falafel.

This is driving me nuckin' futs. I gotta get some decent food. After all, there's only so much Amish smorgasbord you can eat. Eventually you need some better variety to your epicurean life.
:(

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 08:44 AM
Juniors is indeed popular with lawyers and infestment... heh, I mean "investment" types, but it's not near any banking centers, courthouses, or police stations - people just go out of their way for quality deli. With cops, they eat EVERYWHERE on the west side, Norms, Juniors, especially "Ships" before they got torn down. Dunno what it is about the issue, but cops seemed to love sit down food all over West LA, even at Jack in the Box and Pizza Hut. Juniors is in the somewhat general vicinity of the Nuart theater, but I wouldn't say it's near. However, there is a divey deli/restaurant right down the street from both the Nuart and the West LA courthouse called "Dolores'", my cousin worked there for a time. The place had little in the way of real character both in the food and in the help, but it did have a lot of lawyers and cops during the day because it was 2 blocks away from both the West LA police station and the aforementioned courthouse.

I wasn't kidding about Canters starting the ratings thing, it was THAT dirty inside, both in the back and up front where the baked goods are. They've since cleaned up, but it was really really bad, it got a severely poor grade and customers never knew, so this made HUGE waves once it hit the papers and the people demanded to know what ratings every LA restaurant got.

I think part of what makes a great falafel great is the less-than-fresh fat their deep fried in, and it takes a LOT of practice to get the right balance of crunch outside and tenderness inside. BTW, that falafel stand you speak of, I think it's now evolved into a solid building restaurant with a little eating area, but Fairfax high is on the other side of the street and another block up. ;) As for your description of this Shwarma hovel on Hollywood blvd, it's hard to remember if it's there or not because there are a dozen other failing falafel/shwarma places on H-wood bvld just like it. ;) Plus, a bunch of 'em went under when the city closed half of H-wood blvd for 2 years while they built the unpopular underground metro rail. My favorite falafel huts were this weird stand/building on Pico and... somewhere between 17th and 2st in Santa Monica, and this other joint on Westwood and Santa Monica blvd where I'd hang out while waiting at the bus transfer point going to or from high school. This place had the OILIEST food, but the aroma made it acceptable. ;)

Swaffy, you should spend a few bucks and take a trip to NYC to get your grub on. Spend a day in the city, spend some money, get food poisoning. ;)

good shot jansen
11-16-2001, 08:50 AM
is the great american food and beverage experience still around on santa monica? i worked there as a singin', piano bashing, waiter back in the summer of '80. the last time i was in la was 85, and it was still there then. had a blast that summer!

SWAFMAN
11-16-2001, 06:43 PM
JT - good call! You're right on. That was the one I was confusing with Junior's. I may have actually missed out on Juniors. I can't believe that Ships was torn down. I used to go there sometimes after seeing movies in Westwood. Damn. Where else could you tast your bread right at the table! And Norms! Talk about bulk-loading on the cheap! They used to have a steak dinner that was about $4.00. Mostly gristle, but still - steak. I always used to draw an extra line on the first letter of their name on my placemat and change it from "Norms" to "Worms." :D

By the way, do they still Have "Tiny Naylor's" restaurants? I once had the most amazing trip sitting in the one on Sepulveda and Victory. The old, heavyset waitress started making pig and cow-like grunting noises with every movement she made. Ahh.. good times. :cool:

Well, I decided to take JT's and GSJ's advice. I've shipped the kiddies off to their mom and then their grandmom's for the weekend and I'm off to NYC for a day and a half food-fest! (really!) Bye!

JediTricks
11-17-2001, 02:48 AM
GSJ, I don't know of this restaurant of which you speak, but if you give me a more specific area (since SM blvd runs like 20 miles from the beach to downtown LA), I could look dem up. Say, are they related to "Professor P.J. Cornucopia's Fantastic Foodmagorium and Great American Steakery"? ;)

Swaf, Ships was a small chain and they ALL got torn down at the same time, it was weird seing this coffee shop that was such a staple in my, my mother's, and my grandfather's lives just up and disappear. However, those toasters at the tables were death traps, last few times I was in Ships, not only did the toaster incinerate my english muffin, but at least one other in the restaurant was buzzing loudly as if it had a fork stuck in it. ;) Personally, I love Norms, they have some amazingly cheap prices 24 hours a day, and I especially love their breakfast prices, $4.00 can get you a LOT of food there STILL! "Worms", I never did it, but I can picture it in my head. ;) As for Tiny Naylors, most got turned into Dennys, but I think the one you speak of is still a Tiny Naylors, it's their last one I think. I liked the atmosphere there as a kid, a little "formal" but still upbeat.

Wow, Swaffy is makin' a beeline for his grub-on! Have fun Swaffo, don't eat anything that's still moving! :D

SWAFMAN
11-17-2001, 08:12 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

As I write this, I am sloooooowwwwwly savoring bites and chews of the 2nd 1/2 of the originally-hot corned beef sandwich, which was part of my sumptuous lunch today at the 2nd Ave. Deli.

This establishment has learned one of the most elusive secrets in the art of cooking - sometimes, with a perfect blend of ingredients and preparation, LESS can be MORE.

I am definitely not meaning they serve LESS quantity. Their portions and the extra treats they bring to your table with every order are magnificent. What I mean is less seasoning can allow you to taste the quality of the food, instead of just the pepper or other spices. If you are confident in the flavor of your basic ingredients, then you don't need to mask them by over-seasoning.

I found this to be the case with both the matzoh ball soup and the cole slaw at 2nd Ave. At first, as I was tasting the soup, I thought, "Hmmm, this doesn't taste nearly as lively as the soup I had at 'The Deli' back in State College." After a moment, I realized that what I remembered as "liveliness" in the other soup was in fact just a lot of black pepper taste. As I continued, I discovered that with less black pepper, I could better taste the stock broth, the matzoh "dough"(???), and the delicious, big chunks of carrot and the little noodle polygons. And what I tasted was time-tested, confident, Quality. A soup that could make the meanest mo-fo in the valley cry in remembrance of his mama, and her home cookin'.
('scuze the delay.... had to savor another bite!)

The cole slaw was also, at the same time both incredibly understated and amazingly flavorful. There is NO dairy at 2nd Ave. Deli, so the cole slaw isn't made with a creamy mayonnaise sauce. As best I can tell, it is mainly cabbage and vinegar. No carrot slivers. There is definitely something, or some things else in the slaw, but the taste is so delicate, yet inexplicably full-flavored, I just can't explain it other than to say again - they've done more with less. More perfectly blended, quality ingredients, with less overkill of seasonings or other salad-veggies that would just distract from the real deal.
(another bite... very small - trying to make the sandwich last as long as possible)

As I eluded to above, in other cases MORE is MORE. In addition to the Big bowl of soup and Humongous corned beef sandwich, the table was set with no fewer than SEVEN full-sized Kosher dills served in a stainless steel trough like the ones you used to get with a banana split, a plate of hearth baked bread and little roll of what I think was cholla, and a cereal-sized bowl full of the cole slaw - generous dollops of which I delightedly plopped atop the meat of my sandwich, along with yummy deli mustard which is kept on the table in the small stainless steel pitchers in which you'd find your coffee cream in other restaurants.

The meal was capped by a platter of assorted rugalech. My favorites were a sort of cinnamon with a hint of maybe nutmeg? But they were all delicious.

Now for some very sad news. The entrance door to the 2nd Ave. Deli is covered by a wanted/reward poster for the murderer of the restaurant's owner, Abe Lebewohl. :cry:

As for Grand Dairy, after searching unsuccessfully for it in the general vicinity of Grand and Essex, I was later told by an employee at 2nd Ave. that it went out of business about 10 years ago.

All in all, the last 24 hours have been quite an adventure. Got the van loaded up and on the interstate at about 9:00 last night, arriving in Manhattan around 12:20 AM.

GSJ, I report the following with the most sincere and deepest respect.....

I was solemnly and magnetically drawn directly to Warren and West Broadway. The barricades are now only a minimum distance from the site of September's tragedy. I watched as a crane used its wrecking ball to slowly try to disassemble the still substantial hulk that was once building five. If I live to be 100, I know for certain that the images of that building's remains, along with four more hours of assorted inputs to each of my five senses, collected in a slow walk around the entire perimeter of the site, will remain as strong with me then as they are right now.

F*ck those soulless bastards who did this.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

SWAFMAN
11-17-2001, 08:14 PM
I was so upset, i forgot to attach the visual aids to the luncheon.

This was lunch - what's left of it, at least.

SWAFMAN
11-17-2001, 08:18 PM
Got there a bit early (~5:00 AM).... An old gentleman was in there working already and told me they didn't open until 7AM.

SWAFMAN
11-17-2001, 08:20 PM
er, well, 10:00 AM - that was as long as I could stand to wait before checking out the legendary munchables....

SWAFMAN
11-17-2001, 08:39 PM
...this one's for you, GSJ.

Thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction. I definitely hope I'll be back soon.

- Swafman

SWAFMAN
11-18-2001, 12:01 PM
here's my first real attempt....

from the SSG general discussion thread on Potter... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?postid=20997#post20997)

edited portion submitted to yahoo film reviews section - they only allow 250 words (http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&tid=hv1802813191f0&sid=22198844&mid=625)

Any critique from your experienced viewpoint would be appreciated, VT. Anyone else wishing to chime-in on Potter would be great, too!

britcit3
11-18-2001, 02:55 PM
Hey - I just saw Harry Potter and I thought that it was great!!!!!

....especially the Quiditch game (parts of it reminded me of the speeder bike chase in ROTJ).

PLUS........

not only did we get the big screen version of the AOTC Forbidden Love trailer but also the FULL trailer for Lord Of The Rings - looks absolutely AMAZING.

BC3

JediTricks
11-19-2001, 12:33 AM
Awesome reviews of your food adventure, and it's good to see Dr Browns in the pic. :)

SWAFMAN
11-19-2001, 12:53 AM
...it was a whirlwind trip there and back, but all that discussion of real food just drove me a bit crazy and I had to get some.
:stupid:

good shot jansen
11-19-2001, 07:02 AM
my wife ellie, is who turned me on to the 2nd avenue deli originally! the two owners abe(who as you referered to above, was murdered a few years ago), and izzy (now in retirement here in south florida), were both concentration camp survivors of wwII (as is ellie's mom), izzy and ellie's parents were best friends through the years, and every special family get together was always held at the deli! (we used to take over the molly picone room every thanksgiving!). back when ellie and i were still living in nyc, ellie's parents, who spend each summer in a bungalow up in the catskills (you don't get any more real than that!), ellie and i would stop off at the deli early, every summer sunday morning, and izzy would always greet us, with a care package to bring up to the catskills, so that faye and abe (ellie's parents), could make it through the rest of the week! dayum! i needs to make a trip there soon!

sorry to hear about grand dairy, it was like a little slice of 19th century minsk! i guess that leave ratners as being the only decent dairy restaurant left on the lower east side. (delancey street, between norfolk nad suffolk streets).

SWAFMAN
11-19-2001, 02:29 PM
D'OH!!!!!!!
Now I have to go BACK!!!!!!

vulcantouch
11-20-2001, 11:06 PM
. . .to quote klingon attorney ch'pok (ron canada)'s remarks to a digressing quark in ds9's "rules of engagement": "can we get back to the subject Please?" :p but not before putting this question to swaffy: do you dent that, while the noshtalk here on the mm board inspired you to drive 600 miles (geez, tawk aboot takin guiliani literally :crazed: ) you Didn't think to set up an mm or af centerpiece on your 2nd ave table? :o :eek: :sur: :rolleyes: :stupid: :crazed: :p
borscht: i've had it once, and that'll do :p
celeb sighting: i Think i saw gary hart at fs once. not sure, didn't really look; it's not the people i go there to look at :)
"great american food and beverage experience"? "Professor P.J. Cornucopia's Fantastic Foodmagorium and Great American Steakery"? sounds pretty diagonal wood 2me :p what's marmie?
matzo's them bland dumplin things, right? i'm a salt addict but i don't like matzo any more than wonton, which looks like it's already been eaten :p
guess what, i've also deigned there is also food fashion. for example, the right time to eat red-sauce pasta is a cold evening. fruit juice, gyros, sammiches or salads? sunny lunch. coffee, soup or chorizo burrito? cloudy. beef (ground, Never shredded beef) burrito? sunny. most fast food? clear sunsets. curry (& all indian food)? gauzy, warm afternoons. sushi? clear, day or night.
a critique of a critique, swaffy? why not? :) rather enjoyed it, esp. considering i'm not ezactly in a hurry to partake of its subject matter :zzz: of course, your in-depth analysis is (like yer 120-minute mixtape :p ) too long for a standard Humpin ;)
"yoda looks like a wonton and talks like a fortune cookie" -from pauline kael's favorable 1980 esb review
it ain't just between memorial day & labor day when white's in fashion:
-tyderium
-controlfreak
-captyacht
-buckyroj
-outrider (sote paintscheme)
-betty (thanx jt)
-q5's holo ds
vt
np: mr. fingers, "a corner called jazz"

LTBasker
11-21-2001, 01:22 AM
You forgot Kirk's ol' TOS Enterprise, Botany Bay, Voyager shuttle and Berman shuttle. :D

good shot jansen
11-21-2001, 10:51 AM
for once agin' trashing the english language!

the education i git 'round this joint is worth it's weight in bouillon baby!;)

SWAFMAN
11-21-2001, 12:29 PM
VT, you are Truly amazing! Yes, in fact I DID think to display AF(s) or MM(s) on the table at the 2nd Ave. luncheon. Unfortunately, the thought didn't occur to me until I was pointing the damn camera at the table!!!!!!!!!! But as soon as I thought of it, I knew I was gonna hear something about not doing so. ;)

Had I planned better, and had openers of every SWAF item I own, I think I'd have displayed:

(the setting is a clear, cool, late morning in lower-east-side Manhattan...)

E-Wing

the full-sized Snowspeeder from the Series Alpha set (a bit more sandy colored than the single boxed ones)

Die-Cast EP1 droid control ship

Die-cast Droid Fighter

vulcantouch
11-27-2001, 10:25 PM
. . .even if i've never seen an nyc deli in person ;) and ewing's pale r/w/b palette woulda probably been a hit within these days' contexts as well :Pirate: btw, in my prev. post above, "dent" was sposed to be "deny"; hope that weren't too confusin :crazed: also, did i say wonton soup? maybe i meant eggdrop soup. whatEVER- i think they Both look like pre-eaten food :p
ltb: i think you're right; despite my minimal affection for it, berman might indeed've worked in last week's palette; too bad i didn't remember it :p however, 1701 & botbay woulda been better suited to my palette of 3 weeks ago (see nov 6 post above). as for voyshuttle, somethin about its palette seems to pop better in summer, along with karemma, ent-e etc. for example, its white just isn't as white as the berman, know what i mean? :D
we got snow, we got single-digit overnight lows, we got charlie parker skies, we got breath we can see :o in short, we got:
snowspeeder
atat
ds1
isd
imp's speederbike
borg
VinTage ig88 figure
interrogator droid
vt
np: king harvest, "dancin in the moonlight (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1221385573/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=KING+HARVEST/itemid=18718)"

LTBasker
11-27-2001, 11:49 PM
I'd say we've got snow, we haven't even had a frost and it's snowing for the first time this winter and it's already sticking really well to the ground! :eek: :eek: :eek: Well except for the streets, but that's really odd for Oklahoma, heck, today is even the first day it got below 30 this winter. It's already goin' Hoth! *watches a wampa walk by* Cameos...crazy crazy crazy. :crazed: :D :rolleyes:

By the way, VT, I added the Voyager shuttle since it had red on the nacelles and the 1701 also had those and since you put the holo DS2 from R2-Q5, I figured those would be good choices too. :D

vulcantouch
12-04-2001, 10:42 PM
ah, but there's a difference between painted red details (nacelles) and clear orange-red (holo ds) :cool:
light metallic blue's the key color this week, simultaneously reflecting the cooler, clearer skies and foreshadowing the metallics which dominate new year's week:
kaz mutha (this week's boullion cube?)
reb transport
bwing
klaestron
alpha xwing
ff atat driver w/k3 commpack & VinTage scouttrooper gun :D
ahk -good news for gsj, since he just got one ;) btw anyone else seen 2nd ave deli featured in passing in an "eating out"-themed amex comm ("don't leave home w/out a hoagie?" :p )?
vt
np: inner city (known for the icy sound of its detroit house sound), "do you love what you feel"
p.s: guess what else's in fashion during cold months: FLIX! also, chitchattin about flix! so those fellow MManiacs of mine who haven't already, get thee to a hump (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216), ya humps :D i was sorely tempted to start that thred here in the mm section so i could stay cozily nestled amongst y'all (i wonder if we're the most clannish forum? personally i mainly read this forum, while only occasionally checking into potj, general & suggestions); but, i decided to play by the rules & put it in "general" where i supPose it belongs :rolleyes:

vulcantouch
12-12-2001, 10:19 AM
not muchuva coherent aesthetic theory to pull these together, they're just all workin is all:
captyacht
berman
silver armageddondillo
shriwirr
hound's tooth
b5 station
potj coruscant guard
vt
np: the hoppin, happnin' hump (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216), which it seems a few of you still haven't checked into :eek:

vulcantouch
12-18-2001, 11:25 PM
a dusting of snow never leaves north-side shadows, and the sun's arc thru the sky assumes its lowest, most rakish angle, leaving most of the sky uncrossed which yields, on clear days, a stark, pale blue light unique to this time of year; very VeneTian (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6304161514/ref%3Dcm%5Fmp%5Fetc/107-4183820-8226129) :happy: also, nights are their longest, so darkness-mitigating xmas decorations (descended from pagan traditions, according to prof. jdah (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?postid=25074#post25074) ;) ) make aesthetic sense no matter how gaudy :D
-med frigate
-ds9
-queenship (silver bling-blings multihued lights perfect)
-repcruiser; but since jdah didn't send mine in time for this year :frus:, i instead deploy:
-snapfast repcruiser :rolleyes:
vt
np: sinatra, "wee small hours"

good shot jansen
12-20-2001, 10:00 AM
where she been of late? long time, no nothing!

wazzamatta? yous don' like us no mo?

jeddah
12-20-2001, 11:38 AM
the past 5 months have been ugly around here and are getting worse. We are meant to be moving, everything has been packed for the past 4 months and we still don't have a move-in date. I wanted to be in for Halloween...I'm not even going to be in for Christmas and you know what? The house we're buying is next door to where I live now....:frus: I am slowly unpacking things we'd thought we'd not need etc..It's so depressing.

Apart from that, I am still visiting less and less till EP2 comes out.

jeddah

vulcantouch
12-26-2001, 11:00 AM
seein as how jdah Still hasn't sent my stuff, i'd say jdah protesteth too much in above post so as to spare our (my) feelings, i.e., jdah Don't luv us no mo :cry: i forgot to mention, last week was also a great time to deploy ep1 r2 :cool:
new year's eve report
monty burns' (http://www.the-ocean.com/simpsons/monty.html) favorite time of year, cuz he's old enough to remember when people Knew how to spend new years: in ritzy, roaring 20s style, swillin joe kennedy's bootleg hooch while flapper floozies charleston the night away! :crazed: better flaunt them wall street riches before the bank panic, which in mm terms means trafficking in your glitziest baubles:
-darkkon pulverizer (the gv that looks like a nanite; gsj, yours should be falling into your lap as you read this Very senTence, so 23 skiddoo! :D)
-silver armageddondillo
-queenship
-borg
-alpha atat
-interrogator droid (the ball that drops in times sqaure?)
commtech droideka
applause droideka
vt
np: cole porter's "just one of those things" (sung by bryan ferry) and "night & day" (desk set (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0050307) rendition- katie hubcap on vocals, spencer on bongos :crazed: )

vulcantouch
01-02-2002, 11:15 AM
the newyears vibe lingers; the calendar change seems to have triggered an autoreverse moebius loop, which makes re-watching a few flix uncharacteristically rewarding (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?postid=25054#post25054); personally i found His Girl Friday (punchy, cynical, hilarious 1940 howard hawks/cary grant quipfest), Someone To Watch Over Me (w/gorgeous ridley scott atmosphere & andreas "romulan tomolak" katsulas as the heavy) and Star Trek Generations (w/picard's xmas nexus fantasy) hit the spot :happy: thus, just as 2002 spells the same backids as forwids, in looking forward to this report we look back to & basically mount a continuation of the previous:
br deckard ground car
holo ds
interrodroid
darkkonanite
queenship
b5 crewshuttle
gonk
ep1 3po (silver + gold + blue/red/yellow wiring resembling confetti makes this a Poifect newyears bauble, so why didn't i notice Last week?? :rolleyes: )
tie pilot
vt
np: nina simone, "i loves you porgy"

vulcantouch
01-08-2002, 12:29 PM
i need to put off composing another of my thorough humposts (http://sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216&pagenumber=1) til i know what the final call's gonna be re this issue (http://sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2764) (feel free to chime in there to xpress support for my position! but Not to xpresss opposition :p ) so in the meantime i'll get to this a lil early:
quiet echoes of last fortnight's holiday metallics, but the unmistakable vibe is that we're emergin from solstice's other side. the result's a still-pale, blue/gray palette whose forms foreshadow spring's prickly energy:
starfury
z95
xwing
greensquad xwing (closed foils)
alpha xwing
derelict gigership
moncal home1
stinger
ds1
vt
np: ysl's (http://ysl.com/) retirement announcement, the face of his longtime muse cath deneuve conspicuously absent :sur:

JediTricks
01-09-2002, 01:10 AM
VT, you surf the SSG forums without the "www." in the URL, or did you just remove them from those links so I couldn't support your complaint? (I clicked it, read the thing, then clicked reply and got a Log In page because I'm cookied for www.sirstevesguide.com, not just sirstevesguide.com)

jeddah
01-09-2002, 01:39 PM
Jt, is there any way of finding out if I am a thread jinx :) Did I offend someone by bringing Georges Seurat and ****aro into this thread (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2312) :)

I hereby name myself Eater of Threads :D

jeddah

JediTricks
01-10-2002, 10:14 AM
It's not you Jeddah, I've seen many a poster worry about being a thread-killer, it's just a common trend with forums, sometimes a topic simply gets lost. The best thing you can do is post a nice little reminder that the issue exists (summing up what has passed for those who are new is the best way to do this AND remind those who have forgotten).

jeddah
01-10-2002, 01:06 PM
:D
It's not that I want a reply, it's that sometimes I become acutely aware that, scrolling down the list, there are lots of threads where I was the last poster, and when I am feeling a little insecure, I sometimes wonder if I am a "thread killer" :D

BTW, What season of SITC are you on? CH4 has just started screeing 2 episodes a night of it (season 4). Kim Cattrall was being typically obscene last night trying to seduce a Franciscan monk, and Sarah J Parker (scarecrow) was modelling for Dolce & Gabbana... I wondered if the 11th Sept would have an effect on the WTC figuring in the opening credits, but I guess this season predates the events. As it is set I Manhattan, I wonder how/if they'll deal with this...

jeddah

JediTricks
01-10-2002, 11:32 PM
That would be season zero for me since I don't have HBO, the cable station it airs on here in the US. ;)

jeddah
01-11-2002, 05:22 AM
Shame, that season was the lamest ;)

jeddah

SWAFMAN
01-11-2002, 11:17 AM
...this week I downloaded all 39 episodes of the first three seasons of The Sopranos and have been watching two episodes a night. I've never seen the show before this week. This would probably be more appropriately posted in the "hump" thread, but the six episodes I've seen so far have been absolutely excellent. Everything about the production has been, in my opinion, top-notch. Acting, writing, directing, music - all A+++ stuff. The biggest stand-out, acting wise for me, has been the late Nancy Marchand. WOW! No motion picture actor I've seen in the last few years did more with any fairly small role than the work I've had the privilege to see this week from Nancy Marchand.

I think this program blurs any prejudice or distinction between the quality or artisitc status between television and motion pictures. If I were to have won a best supporting actress Oscar for a role in the year 1999-2000, I'd have to be thinking, "yeah, but the REAL best performance was by Marchand." At least she did win a Golden Globe for the role.

I guess this became a rant. I'll end it here.

vulcantouch
01-15-2002, 10:36 AM
swaffy: an eyetalian-amerikin who likes sopranos? camille ain't gonna be too happy w/you ;) (speakin of whom, my guess re her continuing absence is that, following 9-11, she decided to lay off her "frivolous" column to focus on sumthin more enduring, namely long-awaited Vol. 2 of her Sexual Personae.
jdah: "Did I offend someone by bringing Georges Seurat and ****aro?"
-i'd say it's more that most people simply don't capeesh you & your highfalutin yapyap ;) hey, i was gettin ready to post in that top ten babes thred but now i can't find it; you didn't kill it with your "sexist" remark didja? :frus:
jt: not sure; i don't type in www, but after i type ssg "http" appears in front. lmk what i can hepp with :)
coldest time of year, which means right now i'm much more into watchin flix (http://sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216&pagenumber=2) than cafeslummin. as a result there ain't much occasion for mm fashion. but these look nice while the credits roll:
ig2000
scimitar
commtech stormie (equipped w/tiepilot pistol & potj sandy binocs, the latter courtesy ws (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?postid=25867#post25867) :) )
vt
np: moby, "feelin so real" rmxs

SWAFMAN
01-15-2002, 11:27 AM
I can understand Paglia's objections to the perpetuation of the streotype. Italians certainly have no corner on the market when it comes to the entertainment industry portraying a particular ethnic group or race via unflattering stereotypes. I've only seen nine episodes of the Sopranos so far, but in one of the last ones - either episode 8 or 9 of season one - the lead character is invited to a country club with some wonder-bread-white folks (see, there's a stereotype for everyone) where he gets treated like a real "goomba." He later recalls to someone how he and his friends, as kids, mistreated another kid with a cleft palate & speech impediment. He goes on to say that after the golf outing he now had some idea how that kid must have felt when they teased him. I haven't really captured the entire feeling of that episode, but it made a point to mention that even at its peak the "mafia" only consisted of maybe 5000 people in the U.S., and there are about 20 million Italian-Americans, so I think the show was trying to give the viewers a proper sense of perspective.

I'm secure enough with my own personal history and my Italian heritage to appreciate the show for what it is - great entertainment. In addition to the arguably negative ethnic stereotypes there's also some perfectly portrayed stereotypes of family relationships, some dysfunctional and some truly touching (and many that are both), that would strike a chord with anyone of any nationality or race.

jeddah
01-15-2002, 01:59 PM
But, despite my views on the talentless 'Posh' (A MASSIVE misnomer) Spice, I wasn't going to let that "dog" reference slip by. I would have if the insult had been more thoughtful, but it was a knee-jerk insult from an eejit. BTW, I did retract the harshness of my delivery later on when I realised the poster was only 16.....

So, "highfalutin Yap yap", is it? Thank god I frequent this board the most, I know that my claptrap is understood, no matter what altitude the falutin' gets to :D I thought Americans were crazy, I hope the inference is not stupid too :evil:

jeddah

JediTricks
01-15-2002, 11:41 PM
VT, you could put "www." in front. ;) It happened again in the hissy thread with your last link there. Otherwise, just let it happen.

JediGoofy
01-18-2002, 04:38 AM
Hey Swafman, I did not know about your "Italian heritage"! It is nice to know! :)
Unfortunately I did not see the TV series you and VT are talking about, but I cannot resist adding few observations about Italians and stereotypes.

First of all, usually Italians like the stereotypes for which they are known abroad (mainly in the USA). Generally Italians are pictured like people who like the family, music, to eat pasta, and have a strong feeling about honour. Well, it is not bad. ;) Even if these stereotypes are not really up-to-date. :) For example it is true Italians love music, but there are very few mandoline players nowadays. It is also true Italians usually have strong relatives relationships and love the family, but in Europe Italy has the lowest growth index (few children).

So here there are new stereotypes you can start using, more actual. Italians are not able to make war! (in every mission of our army abroad, usually peace missions fortunately, Italian soldiers are more like: "well, we are here, but we are not really 'warriors', we are just people going around and becoming friends with children" :) ) Italians are also crazy with the coffee! (it looks like Italians are not able to find a good coffee in every other country but Italy, and they become really mad with that :D ) Finally Italians like confusion, we live in a perpetual confusion status! (useful Italian word: "casino" [ka-see-nou]; it means confusion, mess, you will hear it a lot of times if you come in Italy ;) )

Anyway I think Italians stereotypes are usually very very funny, and I am always ready to have fun at myself! :D

Ciao,
JediGoofy

SWAFMAN
01-18-2002, 08:50 AM
JediGoofy, it was great to get your view on this subject. As for Italian stereotypes, the one I've usually confronted in my own life has been the belief that Italians are passionate lovers. Personally, I haven't minded doing my part to live up to that one. :D
Ciao!

JediGoofy
01-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Ehi Swafman,
what can I say? You are perfectly right ... WE are Very Passionate Lovers! :D
(Well at least Swafman and JediGoofy for sure! ;) )

Wanna try girls? :cool:

Ciao,
JediGoofy

vulcantouch
01-23-2002, 12:12 PM
quiztime: what's the main difference between italian national stereotypes and italian-american stereotypes? answer: only the latter can stand louis prima ;) swaffy, jg & baal (in addition to we honorary italians) might find this highfalutin yapyap (http://www.salon.com/weekly/paglia960805.html) a fruitful read; feel free to share your reactions :cool: personally "i ain't no loverboy"- clyde barrow (warren beatty), Bonnie & Clyde :Pirate: i also ain't too picky about coffee quality; be it swill or otherwise, to me it's more of a prop, an excuse to hang in some cafe for 3 hours :crazed:
jt: ME, trouble myself to type a superfluous "www"? like That's gonna happen :p
jdah: posh may not be talented (like i'd know Anything about spicegirl music :p ), but she's certainly the purtiest spice on that rack :kiss: skankiest? no quextion: Sporty- looks like marisa tomei fell outa bed :p

"I thought Americans were crazy, I hope the inference is not stupid too"
-don't be so sure: speakin for myself, this yank can be stupid with the best of em :stupid:
just like last time: still more into flix (http://sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216&pagenumber=2) (watched 14 last week!) than slummin. so the mm fashion slowdown continues:
tiebomber
virago
holo ds (looks great in these gauzy sunsets)
gonk (looks kinda like a walkin film projector ;) )
vt
np: nino rota, Amarcord theme

SWAFMAN
01-23-2002, 01:00 PM
Hey! There's nothing wrong with Louis Prima! I've seen him at Festa Italiana in Milwaukee a couple times and he's a terrific performer who gives a very fun show. Don't go dissin' my homeys, VT. :mad: :frus: ;) :D

jeddah
01-23-2002, 02:51 PM
My manager is Sicillian, apparently he has to go to Cuba for love....mind you, he is a bit silly

jeddah

SWAFMAN
01-23-2002, 03:49 PM
okay, you can't just drop a line like that without some further explanation! What is the unique allure of Cuba to this Sicilian chap? I mean, what does he see in Cubanas (or Cubanos?) that is not seen in Brazilians or Yanks, or Sicilians for that matter?

jeddah
01-24-2002, 02:31 AM
(it's better to leave some things unsaid)
(your ever faithful, and usually non -intrusive moderator - gsj)

LTBasker
01-24-2002, 02:35 AM
and to think this has nothing to do with MM fashion. :rolleyes:

good shot jansen
01-24-2002, 07:40 AM
my dad was always a huge big band lover, and intriduced me to the fabulous sounds of prima 1st through his compositions that were performed by others such as the big band anthem sing! sing! sing! recorded by benny goodman and made famous at the historical carnegie hall concert of 1937.

prima really hit his stride from 1947 on when he teamed up with then 16 year old (and knock dead gorgeous if i do say so myself), keely smith. prima and smith married a few years later.

prima and smith went on to become the king and queen of vegas in the 1950's, where they were out drawing everyone (including the rat pack) with what was called the wildest show in vegas.

this of course became the inspiration behind the character of king louie in disney's 1967 classic the jungle book, where prima made prolly his most famous recording (at least among us folk born post 50's), hey i may be old, but i only date back to 1960!), i wanna be like you.

prima passed away in 1978

primas best known songs are:

"Jump-Jive'an Wail"
"Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody" (later trashed by david lee roth)
"A Sunday Kind Of Love"
"The Lady In Red"
"New Aulins"

man i wish i'd seen him

vulcantouch
01-29-2002, 11:20 PM
i ain't sayin he's Awful, but his appeal's a lot more provincial than east-coasters might realize. (judging from Ciao Professore, ital nationals are more likely to know louis Armstrong than prima; in another example, i only listen to sinatra during the holiday season, he's just too. . . Much. . . the rest of the time, know what i mean? :rolleyes: and you can take dat to da Bank, bustah! :D ) while prima may be a staple out east, he's hardly heard at all over here (my introduction to him was via flix such as Big Night and Mickey Blue Eyes, which used lotsa his tunes). as for "sing sing sing" (used to the point of cliche to convey the late 80s/early 90s, money-fueled, wall street/spy magazine neo-roaring-twenties sensibilty), it took me a long time to realize "sing sing sing" prima was the same guy whose usual mode is that jolly, "goombah-catskills", spi-cy-boun-cy-loo-ee-pree-ma-pas-ta schtick ;)

jdah: "he has to go to Cuba for love"
-in that case he might do well do to heed the sequence of acqusition as laid out by a certain scarfaced italocubano (http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=15282&item=2271) we all know: "FIRSH, shoo get de money. DEN, choo get de power. DEN joo get de wimmin" :evil:
thanx to lbc's stunning triumph (http://sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3289), a dark horse has unexpectedly galvanized what would have otherwise been the third week of "mm fashion hibernation":
potj fx7, accessorized w/duros pistol & trophy maul binocs :cool:
what, you need more? fx7's not enough by itself? ok then, stinger & jemhadar to keep 'im company ;)
vt
np: lionel hampton, "midnight sun"

vulcantouch
02-06-2002, 10:27 PM
so right after i post above report, i get around to givin a listen to this 2-cd Casino soundtrack i found at a yard sale this summer for $1. it was $1 cuz it didn't come w/no booklet or tracklisting, so i didn't know what was on it. but for $1 i'll take the chance, wouldn't you? anyhoo, pleasantly surprised by the presence of the animals' "house of the rising sun" (which i'd been unable to locate on a used 45 single for under $1), but then louis comes from outta nowhere, singin bout some waitress named angelina bringin him a spicy meatball real zooma zooma quicklike :crazed: talk about dead horse heads in the bed; mea culpa, message received, loud and clear :dead: so what happens if i diss sinatra? my boombox blows up in mah face?? :sur:
you can prolly guess that mm fashion continues to revolve around the fx7 excitement that still dominate things round here. as for the quextion of what mms are in fx7's entourage, no, its not the obvious answer of fed spacedock & probot (the two that look most like fx7). instead, since i'm also groovin on my new cf isd (http://sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?postid=36984#post36984), but it's too big for mm fashion deployment, i deploy in its stead a coupla ships with similar coloration:
escape pod
hothbase model ywing VarianT (as detailed in prev. link)
vt
np: tito puente, "ran kan kan" (maw mix)

jeddah
02-07-2002, 10:19 AM
didn't you see the CF SSD pic I posted a few weeks ago?

jeddah

vulcantouch
02-12-2002, 10:42 PM
pics can often be deceptive; for example, i'm actually only 14 inches tall and female (thanx r2 & ws for keepin my secrit all this time ;) ).
mm hibernation continues, but has taken a curious turn of late. the focus remains directed inward, towards flix; and i still find the Vibe withouT uninspiring for the most part, good only for a quik breath of quiet, chilly air on sunday nights, in breaks between a vt-custom indie double- or triple-feature (latest spot-hitter: The Virgin Suicides (http://www.paramountclassics.com/virginsuicides/html_3/index.html), comin soon to da Hump (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216&pagenumber=3), so git on over & chime in :cool: ).
Except for the cold sunsets, which have become so compelling they seem to come out towards you- or you towards it. like lookin at it thru binoculars, you're drawn into that shadow-stretching light, floating in its orange horizonal gauze. the perfect time of year to park a vehickle on a hillcrest & burn out yer retinas by starin for an hour or so. simultaneously winter-stark and summer-vivid, these sunsets look like they should be warmer. which means the right mms are sunset-appropriate. as in fall, known best for its sunsets? kinda, but not quite the same. different:
defiant
fx7 (get over this one already, you say? You get over it :p )
voy shuttle
jemhadar
obsidian
vt
np: "into the wormhole/time stood still" from mccarthy's DS9 Emissary score

vulcantouch
02-20-2002, 01:15 PM
as art critic robert hughes taught us, sometimes, as with picasso's Demoiselles d'Avignon, a Shock Of The New (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679728767/qid=1014232722/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-5208738-7191144) arrives on the scene, turning all previous theory on its ear and imposing its own agenda. which, in this time of simultaneous whispers that no ep2 mms are forthcoming but stmms May be reborn (http://www.artasylum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000047), is just my highfalutin excuse for disregarding aesthetic harmony so as to trot out my latest, excitement-filled acquisitions:
repcruiser (Not the snapfast model)
ratts pod (Not the "mm" i fashioned from the racer 2-pak)
Turning-Turret aat
id4 alien attacker
that's right, jdah's pkgs (containing bc3-bagged rarities) Have arrived; full report comin soon :)
ain't no Way i'm gonna snooze thru the presence of these! so i hereby declare an end to mm hibernation season :cool:
vt
np: maw, "i can't get no sleep"

good shot jansen
02-20-2002, 02:21 PM
i hereby declare an end to mm hibernation

does this mean we get to phone in orders for vt's famous 2nd hand shop crawl?

(satisfying the needs of starved micro machinists since 1995)

:happy:

jeddah
02-20-2002, 02:34 PM
I was beginning to wonder if they'd arrived....:eek:

jeddah

vulcantouch
02-26-2002, 11:28 PM
what the Feck (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=42765#post42765)? saturday's record high was 72f, a distinct foreshadowin of spring. but then last night dropped to a record Low of -8f :o well i'm Tanned (from the glow of flik-watchin), Rested (from hibern, which doesn't mean hunt season's on just Yet gsj ;) ) & Reddy (hear me Roar :rolleyes: ), so mama nature's got another think comin if she thinks she's gonna catch me flatfooted. i'll just split my palette into two contingents:

contingent palette one: Springy
gasganopod
teemto pod (fashioned from jt-sent pakracer)
VinTage fett (his color's similar to fx7, with some springy accents so as to make the transition), carryin 300fett rifle

contingent palette two: Frosty
mtt
skipray
borg queen figure (She'll keep ya toasty :evil: )
and for good measure, i reserve the right to deploy last week's Shock of the New palette at any time; if mama nature gets 2b Feckle, so do i :p
vt
np: hector zazou, "songs from the cold seas"

JediTricks
02-27-2002, 01:35 AM
You'll never know how much I appreciate GSJ for moderating this section so I don't have to read this thread and be confused by it anymore. ;)

BTW, here in my town, it was somewhere in the high 80s last week and is supposed to be again by the next weekend. I may have to actually go out and DO something... but I won't be wearing color-coordinated Micro Machines while doing it! :D

SWAFMAN
02-27-2002, 10:09 PM
......for anyone wishing to make a fashion statement:
Star Trek designer necktie (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1077811996)

vulcantouch
03-05-2002, 10:44 PM
as always, anything you don't capeesh just ask, i'm happy to explain; but you did read inaugural post on old forums (link to same on this thred's 1st post), right? anyhoo, as fashion musings/reports go, mine are downright straightforward compared to some of the oblique, vreelandesque stuff out there :sur: ok, nice weather report there, next tell us what mms are catchin yer eye as a result! this is mm fashreports after all (denver & YOUR dateline), not just the weather channel :rolleyes: here lemme show u how, goes a lil suh'um like deeyoss:
gsj's in luck! last week's wild oscillations between winter (march's a pretty snowy month here) and spring, have since struck a middle ground that nicely shows off his recently-acquired epic 4-6s, with their liquid-detergenty colors:
scimitar
exp bwing
hapes nova
mon remonda
fx7 -since fx7's colors go great w/above "detergent palette", naturally we include it :) & you know what else? trophy maul's base makes a Perfect fx7 stand- similar colors & detailing, only toned down so as to keep the focus on fx7's hausfrau/childbearin-hips hourglass figure :sur: twirl lady fx7 fast enough on the dancefloor & her 18-arm "skirt" flies out & up, drawing the eyes Up, Up, UP dahling :rolleyes: also, base's ds9-style docking pylon's just the right height to let a mounted ship receive umbilical maintenance from fedspacedock's- i mean fx7's- injector arm in addition to several radial arms :cool:
vt
np: dizzy gillespie, "manteca"

LTBasker
03-06-2002, 12:10 AM
jt: you think i/we Wear mms? you Are confused ;P

I seem to remember during the start of this thread...

i agree cardieships'd make cool badges, but not cuz they resemble the Union logo, but cuz they look cool period. they're among my fave mms :)

:eek: :happy:

JediTricks
03-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Heh heh, good one Basker!

vulcantouch
03-12-2002, 11:52 PM
. . .an imprecise wiseacre, or the cacklin' beavis that eggs him on? :p laugh it up, boyz; cuz mm fashion Nevah goes outta style, huh-huh-huh :cool:
undeniable, unadulterated spring vibes in the air, beckoning the green, beckoning open windows, beckoning 80s music: beckoning the Hunt.
a pop-music "historian" pal of mine's more of a contextualist than i am: he associates specific songs with the season in which they topped the charts. for example he thinks steely dan's "do it again" as a cloudy, winter tune cuz that's when he recalls it first hittin radio :rolleyes: of course, i know better, taking a more formalist tack: "do it again" is clearly a sunny fall groove :cool: When one first hears or sees a thing is a subjective, ephemeral, inconsequential matter compared to the intrinsic, empirical character of its style. in the long run the Latter will form the more telling association, the more enduring context.
there are times, however, when context and formalism are happily reconciled. every so often, one experiences the first, most striking blush of a thing in the ideal moment, and does not have to unlearn and forget that initial context in order to maximize enduring aesthetic pleasure.
the current vibe takes me back to spring '96, when i was able to bag the 2nd, 16-ship stmm collector's set, upon First Sighting, for only $14 (i'll tell that story if curious :) ). the palette of the ships included therein was unusually in sync with the light, the vibe, of early spring and its hunt. many of its ships will feature heavily in the next few weeks. for now:
neghvar
3-nac ent d
saucer-sep ent-d
fed spacedock
defiant
also, bc3's newly-arrived harrier custom (even though it's more of an xmas vessel), cuz i can't keep me eyes off it :)
vt
np: church, "under the milky way"

vulcantouch
03-19-2002, 11:05 PM
yeah Right (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=49419#post49419), tell mistah weathaman it's spring, cuz winter's still hittin, WEATHAH we likes it or not :p so we respond by throwin on our pyre a coupla choice logs it turns out we been savin for a tail-ender time like this. one peiceawood's smoky & stained, & the other one's blond & singed. but they both pack a lotta btu, cuz they're both nice & big. Too big to qualify as mms in fact :eek: worry not, i field-tested them at prufrock's (http://casa.colorado.edu/~mcl/coffee.shtml) yesterday :D
half-borged 7o9 figure
mega action droideka dee2 found me a year ago :)
you can stand 7o9 alongside the eka like it's her big pet scorpion, or you can Seat her on it; it makes a perfect throne (headcowl's a canopy & the guns serve as armrests). also, give her one of them chrome-scoped naboo pistols, it looks great whether tucked into her left-hip "coil-holster" or she holds it in one hand while usin the other to rapid-slam the hammer oldwest style (blasters got hammers, right? :stupid: )
vt
np: shirley bassey, "mr kiss kiss bang bang"

vulcantouch
03-26-2002, 11:39 PM
ah, to be buffeted by cool, exhilarating night air while toolin around on hightech streets & freeways, at one with curving, banking ribbons of chrome, light & motion, sublimating one's annual "in spring a young man's fancy turns" hormonal ponn farr surges into the Hunt, glibly skimming the sprawling suburbs (about the only time of year i actually Like venturing into those soulless, history-less zones :p) in search of sfmms and other Visionary Treasures :cool: and what mms accompany us on our glittering-city spree, both literally and in one's thoughts?
ent-a
ent-c
pasteur
farragut
dart-firing borg drone (blue-metal repaint)
vt
np: depeche, "get the balance right"

britcit3
03-29-2002, 10:45 AM
hey VT

Have you bagged R4-M9 yet - way the coolest astromech.

BC3

vulcantouch
04-02-2002, 11:18 PM
. . .cuz just the day before you posted above quextion i got my first in-person look at r4m9 at long-loathed scalper all-c's (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=24662#post24662) :sur: so, tell me why you think it's the coolest yet! its white seems too strong, it always looked off-white or beige from pix & the film. and the out-of-scale, non-rollin-wheel mousedroid's a Sucky accessory :p much better woulda been, for example, an aqua/yellow/orange holoprojection of ds2 orbiting & tethered to endor via a shield :cool: but i been wantin an r4m9 for a long time now (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=17009#post17009), so you Know it's on my snaglist :) but naturally i'm gonna wait till i (or some pal) can score it for me for srp or less :greedy:
winter's lost its grip on us this year (got up to 77f yesterday), but desperate to not go gently it throws an increasingly impotent weekly tantrum. so as to spare winter what little pride it has left, we make a big show of throwing onto the pyre all our remaining "combustibles" that we haven't yet used- which amount to little more than kindling:
se swoop
skiff
mm sithbike (w/dopeylookin dm figure removed :evil: )
mm boussh fig
af droideka fig dee2 got me last year :)
vt
np: combustible edison, Four Rooms score

jeddah
04-03-2002, 05:17 AM
Hey, what a conicidence, I just got sent my boifday present from my brother; - he was sending me R3-T7, R2-Q5 and R4-M9 but only found R4-M9 so that's what he sent me. Just got it today. Tru dat about the white-ocity and I think the Torino-green paint job is slightly slapdash in places but nowhere near as bad as R2-B1. I always thought the witches hat Holoprojector was quite large and was hoping that they'd make it movable on this figure, ho-well. I also wish the middle legs on these astros would go all the way up. The new mould has finer BTU exhaust details and shoulder bar, buttons and leg bar details are the best so far. I wonder if the droid was aluminium domed liked R2 if they'd have made it chromed...hope not.

The mouse droid is a bit lame, the circuit boards are standing upright on the top instead of raked and no wheels. Jeez, if they could produce an Aliens APC with wheelies, why couldn't they have this MSE like that!? I don't care, as long as I have me M9 :)

:kiss:

jeddah

britcit3
04-03-2002, 01:10 PM
hey VT

Why do I think R4 is the coolest?

Well for no other reason than this......

I have all of my astromechs standing on a shelf in the computer room (R2-D2, R5-D4, R3-T7, R2-Q5, R2-B1 & THE ROYAL STARSHIP RED ONE) and R4-M9 just looks cool standing in the middle of them.

I like the white/green colour (was disappointed with R3-T7's wishy-washy yellow) and his "dome" is cool.

I know this is a bit simplistic and not much of a critique, but there you go.

Cheers

BC3

vulcantouch
04-09-2002, 10:53 PM
anyone remember the good ol days when they'da had ta wait a year & a half after we found our own r4m9s? ;) you are keeping in mind, are you not jdah, that there are Two r2q5s in upcoming pkg to you, yes? & since bro didn't find you r3t7, shall i enclose the xtra i have? lmk :)
report: the max VacTor palette
april's the most overcast month of the year round here. so far this's manifested itself mainly in turbulent, gauzy, afternoon mountain wave clouds, during which pancake-batter foundations, black lids (canopies) and red accents work well:
awing
slave1
mmm slave1
spacedock shuttle
sithinf repaint from playset (thanx bc3)
t16
also a new acquisition: the pitdroid from commtech gasgano (found it o-o-p at a pawnshop for $1.25 when goin back for jdah's r5d4 last week & decided, at that price, i wouldn't mind ownin one after all :) ). you can let him hold the mmm slave1 like it was his toy :)
vt
np: tearsforfears, "pale shelter"

jeddah
04-10-2002, 03:02 AM
I now have the R3-T7 and R4-M9 though.

2 R2 Q5's? I don't ever remember owning two droids... ;)

jeddah

vulcantouch
04-16-2002, 11:42 PM
while the fickleness of toycompanies and 7yearolds may go into eclipse, MMs Are Eternal :cool: keep in mind we didn't get Any swmms til over a decade After rotj came out. so ep2 & additional ep1 mms will Eventually exist, and stmms are lookin hopeful too :) so we can't have our mod losin the faith & singin the blues (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=64307#post64307), even tho we all feelin that vibe (how can we not, it hangs in the air all obvious :p ). thus we deploy, under cover of a clear, crisp spring night, a trio of vessels we been savin till now, that're uniquely qualified (by virtue of their color) to chase down & eradicate his mm blooz:
tie-int (pilot academy set version)
narn heavy cruiser (tie-int's big bruiser bruddah ;) )
transparent-blue, dart-firing (There's yer play value, mace ;) ) titan drej
optional: b5 station
of course, if said blues-dissipators don't get the job done, gsj can always give Me his mms :D
vt
np: cabaret VolTaire, "blue heat"

vulcantouch
04-23-2002, 11:16 PM
sustained warm temps ahead of schedule round here on this semi-arid plain, so grasses are emergin from dormancy, and flowers & leafbuds are starting to open. and the fresh-faced, lemon-lime palette to greet these new blossoms?
rom scout
marsguo pod
ent-b
mini-entb chesspiece bc3 sent :)
r4m9 i scored sunday (mainly cuz its eyelight's that springy shade of Young green, as opposed to its late-summer Ripe green stripes :cool: )
r3t7 (though i've yet to bust it outta its pkg, lest i score it cheeper :rolleyes: )
vt
np: new order, "everything's gone green"

vulcantouch
04-30-2002, 11:18 PM
Finally it's warm enough round here to occasionally do brunch outdoors; naturally one Must take one's mms along for all that AM sunlight :) the last such report i made was july 20 (click link on this thred's 1st post to view :) ), but the same rules about true-blue fedships holds true:
quiksnap maquis
reliant
ent-d
grissom
excelsior
neva kee pod (fashioned from 2-pak racer)
optional: ent-b, aldar beedo pod, defiant, commtech d2, rattspod (i successfully swapped out the more colorful & detailed cockpit for the 2-pak racer :) )
vt
np: devo, "gut feeling"

vulcantouch
05-07-2002, 11:03 PM
"The cyborg archetype is a product of the myth that body parts can be replaced. The cyborg is part organic and part mechanical. It is a simulation of a human. Simulations must contain part of the thing simulated. The part organic cyborg is different from the old-fashioned robot, which is entirely mechanical. Cyborgs, unlike traditional subjects, do not act on technologies. The cyborg internalizes technology. Traditional subjects remember in order to locate themselves in a temporal place, after and apart from the thing remembered. The things remembered are gone and the subject remembering remains. Unlike traditional subjects, the cyborg does not remember because it does not need to. The cyborg ingests all the knowledge stored in the system and gains the power of the system by melding with the system. The cyborg is efficacious because it is the system. It gains the power of immortality through the loss of memory; it cannot think about itself as a moment in time."
-sally everett, "Searching for a Post Modern Avant Garde" essay from Art Theory & Criticism (1989)

"current environmental conditions in main engineering?"
"atmospheric pressure 2 kilopascals above normal, 92% humidity, 39 degrees"
"like a borg ship"
-picard & hawk, STFC ('96)

may's the rainiest month round here; at night the cold moisture, combined with the vernal green cast, always puts me in a borg state of mind :evil: so slap Matrix, Dark Frontier, Unimatrix Zero or Endgame on the tube and display these:
locutus fig
hugh fig
drone figs (original and 1st red-eye repaint)
lars speeder
optional: cube, probot, dv tie, deckard's dc ground car (since it constantly rained in Blade Runner too)
vt
np: visage, "the damned don't cry"

LTBasker
05-07-2002, 11:36 PM
What about the AF Dagobah X-wing? It rained there also afterwards....and it was crashed in water. :D And it is quite grey... ;)

vulcantouch
05-14-2002, 11:18 PM
. . .but, as with the "battle-damaged" mm fighters, i always considered it a gimmicky VarianT, one which i never bothered 2 collect (& one which i'd trade any day for new unique ships :cool: ).
"The other mythological archetype of our technological society is the clone. It is a product of the myth that all biological fragments have the possibility genetically to generate a new organism. The clone can appear in two forms- a complete body or a body fragment. The clone, unlike the traditional subject, is indiscrete and lacks uniqueness. Identical clones can be generated by dismembering any existing clone. In any phase of its metamorphosis (fragment>clone>clones) the clone can miraculously regenerate without the original. There is no heirarchy of clones; each is identical and of the same value. Clones do age but they can be rejuvenated by making a new one. Clones have generative power; there is no origin or beginning of clone power because origin begins with a discrete subject. When the causal subject goes originality goes too. The substitute subject, the clone, gains the power of immortality through the loss of originality. It can be repeated endlessly."
-everett, Art Theory & Crit
the quote above may lead you to believe that this fashreport will somehow acknowledge a certain movie opening this week. well Think Again Miss Thang; cuz if episode2 wants to ignore mms, then mm fashreports are only too happy to return the flavor :p (however, i hereby cordially inViTe my fellow foruMMers to make the ever-VersaTile Hump (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=70631#post70631) their personal home for ep2 reaction tawk :) ) as always mm fash is dictated by Vibe Telemetry. said dictates, arranged in 6-at-a-time, earliest-to-latest deployment order (i.e., as the afternoon goes on, you replace the 1st entry with the seventh, second with eighth and so on):
rocket d2 (whose dull-blue lightpipe i recently replaced with the brighter red lightpipe from one of b'jr's red r2s-and no, i Didn't do this so it'd more closely resemble that Gimmicky, inferior-sculpted light/sound ep2d2, i did it so i could have a red-light-pipe astromech without bothering to add to my collection the queenship-xclusive red r2, which i consider a mere Gimmicky recoloring :p )
ent-a
surak
gasgano pod
minbari warship
defiant
neghvar
r4m9
warbird
sst retreival ship
vt
np: missing persons, "the noticeable ones"

vulcantouch
05-21-2002, 11:12 PM
lotta cloud cover in recent days, some thick, some mere haze. a nice spectrum (thick>hazy) to cover those contingencies:
lyn me figure :kiss:
rolled-up droideka (from r2 carrycase) mounted (via a standhole i drilled into its outer ring) onto the aussiebraid holoprojector base; the two circular shapes oriented perpendicularly to each other evoke a malevolent brancusi sculpture ;)
atst
sote ig88
sulaco (which ig88 may hold as a gun :) )
d7
miradorn
vt
np: b52s, "she breaks for rainbows"

vulcantouch
05-28-2002, 11:13 PM
we go out on a high note: foliage has reached its full volume and the temps have been paradise; not too hot in the aft, and can leave windows open all night :D since i'm comin full circle (1st fashreport (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=20&PID=4636) was almost exactly a year ago), where better to field-test the following, keep-it-simple palette- to connect one end of our thread to the other, as it were- than the patio of a place called Strings (http://www.restauranteur.com/strings/index.htm) ;)
rocket d2
maquis
ef1
vt
np: bryan ferry, "time on my hands"

vulcantouch
06-01-2002, 12:10 PM
once a week (why that interval? idunno :stupid: ) since june 1 (w/exception of 9-11 week), i've added another band to the mm spectrum, documenting a full year of seasonally-shifting Vibe here in denver. the specific vibes of individual weeks may push forward or back 1 or 2 weeks from year to year, but overall the cycle endures and simply repeats itself. so last year's june 1st report generally works for this june 1st, etc. occasionally there have been new releases- and i've received things- after their ideal deployment time (such as repcruiser mm & red clonetrooper, both of which will be ideal come xmas), but aside from that, barring any new mm ships there isn't much reason to continue. re reporting "discernment of and reaction to the feeling of the moment" (from this thred's initial manifesto), i've about covered it :)
i made sure to use every applicable item in my collection at least once, so as to make use of the entire palette, thereby appreciating each all the more, and adding to the distinctiveness of each moment. this wasn't about playin favorites; for example, one of my faves (jemhadar) made the same number of appearances as one of my least faves (b5 raider). it was instead an attempt to impartially acknowledge What Really Sang When, and to not hesitate to use that.
aside from ltb's eager suggestions and a particularly inspired psychotic leap courtesy gsj (post 27), none of you have really joined in. if it's cuz it ain't really the way yer brains werk i can understand (as i said from the start, this is Perhaps My Flakiest Mm Thread Yet :crazed: ). but i wouldn't want it to've been cuz you ever got the notion that this was my priVaTe project; after all, the thred's title sez And YOUR Dateline :) these were reports, not Dictations- especially since i imagine the vibe Here is rarely the same as where most of You are.
so here's hopin that either we'll get more mms, or some of you'll be inspired to convey the vibe of your times & places by adding here some mm fashreports of your own. otherwise, i spose this thred'll sink like a stone like it prolly deserves to ;)
vt
np: caetano veloso, Tieta Do Agreste (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0117910) score

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 03:52 PM
You always shoot down my selections! :p

Seriously though, I have no real feel for fashion and I can't just pick a specific amount of ships for display out of the whole group, I just like to display all the ones I can. :cool:

Plus I don't usually like taking ships from the groups for a seperate display and putting them back in their original spots since the others around them have a knack for attracting my fingers to bump them and cause them to fall. :D Plus for some reason some ships really hate being on one stand more than once, especially the Enterprises except for the 1701, the Ent-D's really needed to be made of sturdier plastic with the engineering section, or at least just around the hole, same goes for the Space Dock.

But if you want a selection from me, well anything dark and cold like to contradict the Oklahoma weather (Death Star maybe, but it's not rebel so) and maybe the Ent-E would be good for that. And maybe some other ships that are more brighter and such to "go with the flow" of it as there is always someone in the group doing that. :p
Maybe:
Oklahoma condition rebels:
Ent-E
Mon Calamari Cruisers
Snowspeeder
BORG Cubes
Deep Space 9
Runabout

Go with the flow-ers:
Stargazer
Ent. 1701
Berman Shuttle (makes sense, he's always using the latest trends to get that audience even if doesn't make sense :Pirate: )
Reliant
Voyager Shuttle (aka: Berman Shuttle 2: A Very Brady Sequel)

Then for that ol' patriotism;
Enterprise(-D) & Voyager for the best of both those MM worlds I've put up there plus for a little salute to the U.S ships - if you're wondering why Voyager well because it's Intrepid class and the Intrepid was a WWII survivor ship.

Well I tried. :happy:

vulcantouch
06-17-2002, 11:36 AM
ltb: "I have no real feel for fashion"
-i Beg to differ; Evereboddeh gots a feel for fashion, even if it's a default "i choose to act as though i do Not feel fashion" ;) while some's feel may be more attuned than others, practice makes perfik ;)

"I can't just pick a specific amount of ships for display"
-actually, a specific VarieTy is how mm fashion operates more than Amount. that said:

"I just like to display all the ones I can"
-this is where we'd differ: "mm fashion" recognizes that, like a glutton confronted with 19 different cuisines simultaneously, an mm connoisseur's eye & mind can only truly appreciate & concentrate on several ships at any one time. displaying all ~175 ships in my collection at once is fun every coupla years or so just to see how many i really got; but for everyday enjoyment this doesn't work for me. it's a hodgepodge, without distinct flavor. (also, displayin 175 ships on a cafe table would not only look & feel too odd, it would leave no room for one's drink, book, magazine or walkman ;) )
so the way i get around this is a practice i've refined ever since i began it in summer '97, when i first scored my stlecs3 at the fanclub for $10 and, so excited, i went straight to Fourth Story to open & view it, even though at the time takin toys to a fancy restaurant (even ones as discreet & stylin as mms) was unthinkable: discerning which ships shine best when. the quality of light in which they are viewed was the biggest factor, so time of day, time of year and weather were the big variables.
this way they all get their day in the sun, so to speak :)
speakin of which, re my recent sunset/ppclone stakeout (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=109373#post109373), yes i have taken & displayed mms there, to respond to its unique, strong vibe:
kaz fighter
holo queenship
voy shuttle
obsidian
minbari warship
and on one occasion a gal with a trio i agreed to share my table with (since i was only one and the place was gettin crowded) not only expressed curiosity about them, she axed if i would Give her the tropical-fish-shaped minbari!
i hadda explain that this was my Sacred Collection, & i only brought em to view em in this purty place, not to make anyone envious; but that she might try axin my friend b'jr, cuz not only does he have dozens of minbaris, he's as inexplicably generous as i am selfish and so "he'd probably take one look at your purty face & give you all the mms you want" ;)
mm fashion has its uses :cool:
vt
np: roxy music, "to turn you on"

SWAFMAN
06-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Just received my opener AF Narcissus. Amazing, since the auction just ended Saturday, and it arrived today (Monday) cross-country from CA to PA.
Any obervations I make have probably already been noted, but I'm going to post my thoughts anyway.
Whoever designed this AF deserves an award. I just watched the first two Aliens tapes last night, so I was really prepared to check this ship out carefully. Now, if you take stills from the movie, and compare them to the AF version, then I'm sure you could rip this ship apart for accuracy if you wanted to be hyper-literal. But I looked at the AF from the point of view of balancing accuracy/displayability with fun/playability, and this ship hits that mark dead-on. Considering the absolutely dreary and lame cockpits in most of the SWAF ships, for whatever this one may lack in prefect accuracy or detail, the interior of Narcissus is a dream come true. The little alien coming out of its hidey-hole gimmick is priceless. It totally made my day. And, as I recall being said 'a long time ago in a version of the SSG forum far, far away,' the stand is a wonderful homage to Giger's 'bio-mech' art designs from the alien crashed ship in the first film.

JediTricks
06-25-2002, 12:57 AM
Swaffy, be aware that the clips that hold on the main opening part of the hull give way, releasing that section of the hull completely. Mine hasn't broken after many openings, but I'm always concerned it might.

SWAFMAN
06-26-2002, 11:01 AM
news for VT (mainly)
Salon.com in $ trouble - future uncertain (http://biz.yahoo.com/e/020626/salnc.html)

vulcantouch
07-05-2002, 11:37 AM
first mms, then 9-11, then PI, now salon; the devil-may-care 90s are truly over (i for one never bothered to click on their ads, buy a salon coffeemug or premium-subscribe, so i'm as much to blame as the next freeloader :o ) oh well, glad martha stewart tipped me to dump my salon stock afore it was too late :sur:
mini-fashreport: you know what's looked supercool in the geonosian, strawberry-red (cuz of the forest fire haze), late-afternoon sunlight we been gettin round here? you guessed it: red clonetrooper (equipped w/biggs' big gun instead of the clonerifle he comes with; the Target store logo on biggsgun's side matches cloney's red & white outfit perfect ;) ).
vt

LTBasker
08-22-2002, 02:08 PM
I felt like reviving an old thread so I thought I'd share a small "MM fashion report" of my own. I pulled out some of my Military MM's and was playing with some Trek ships vs. the Military MMs and got to thinking of a display I was thinking about setting up...

Since I'm in such a miliataristic mood,
Cardie Obsidian
Jem'Hadar Fighter
Kazon Fighter
Kazon Raider
B-52 Bomber
Stealth Fighter
Defiant
HMS Bounty
MASH Chopper (Forgot I had it and felt like putting it in there since I've gotten into the show. :D)

I wish there was a Republic Gunship MM I could add to that... :(

vulcantouch
09-04-2002, 11:30 PM
. . .by reporting the best fashweek for various tings i didn't have the 1st right time around. just plug em into the above-listed palette:
fx7: 7/25
r4m9: 8/23
jango: 7/25, 4/30
betty: 9/27
camdroids: 10/4
assassin droid: 10/23
boshek: 10/31
clonetrooper & bc3's harrier: 12/18
sandtrooper's patrol droid: 12/26
vt

vulcantouch
11-26-2002, 07:29 PM
accessorizing, acCessorizing, ACCESSORIZING, that's what :rolleyes:
girls got hair scrunchies, right? the corresponding item for mms is them lil rubber bands that hold packaged figures' guns in hand. but what do you mms do with them? why the same thing scrunchies do with hair: Hold Stuff Up! specifically, those loose moveable wings on the tyderium & imp lander that come in playsets. experiment w/looping em under cockpit, over wings, under engine etc until ship's sporting the band in such a way that those previously-loose wings will Stay By Themselves in whatever position you move them :cool:
our other accessory tip for today concerns the blast effects that come w/many saga figures. personally i only have the two red ones that came w/boba's jetpack (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=155094#post155094), but even just those can be used to "decorate" any of these mm ships:
sw: y-wing, xwing, skipray, endorbike, z95, slave1, queen/holoship, gian, flash, af stap, n1, coral vanda, alpha x, interrodroid, snapfast mtt, senatecam, af droideka and anapod (as engine backwash :happy: )
trek: neghvar, snapfast maquis, 1701 (on deflector dish)
b5: nhc, starfury, ef1, vorlon (the non-umbrella one)
aliens, galvoy: dathon, darkkon, nostromo
so go freshen up yo Tired mm look ;)
vt

SWAFMAN
11-26-2002, 08:41 PM
creative applications for 3-3/4" "blast effects".... how last April (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=71439#post71439)! :rolleyes:

j/k ;) ;) ;)

vulcantouch
11-27-2002, 12:46 PM
would you believe, "everything old is new again"? :crazed:

good shot jansen
11-27-2002, 12:59 PM
spoken like a true student of edith head!

:)

speakin' o' stylin', got the missus a very nice audrey hepburn dvd box set for chhhhhhhhhannuchhhhhha, i predict a fashion filled weekend at the janson pad

JediTricks
11-27-2002, 11:18 PM
My great grandmother designed alongside Edith Head, now that granny's senile, I guess for her everything old really is new again!

Heh heh, that was really mean, even for me. :evil: ;) :D

vulcantouch
12-26-2002, 11:45 PM
dunno if i said this before here or just to jdah via email but: as with nat portman i think i like the Idea of audhep more the dame herself. i like her rep, what her name connotes :cool: regardless for the last few years i've liked startin off new year w/a gray weekend afternoon viewing of 1 of her flix i hadn't yet seen; 99/00 was Charade ( :happy: ), 00/01 was My Fair Lady ( :) ), 01/02 was Love In Teh Afternoon or Paris When it Sizzles (feh whichever it was :p ) and this year'll be Funny Face- comin soon 2 the Hump :evil:
what is mm fash w/out the right foundation? and by that i mean stands! besides the standard teardrops & flightstix, we also got (or at least i got):
aussiebraid holoprojector: w/arm for siskosailor, assassin droid or phoenix; and w/out arm for aat, tafanda, skipray, tf lander, landed slave 1 etc
-the curved-conic shape left after you cut it offa r2q5's holo ds, good for interrodroid, senatecam etc
-a shortened interrodroid/senatecam stand, perfect for k7, ds9, tibanna, cloud city, tf battleship etc
-trophy maul's stand, for duet tableaux such as fed spacedock & ent-a; ds2 & ssd; tyderium & atat; fx7 & jemhadar etc :)
commtech chips to give mtts, sst dropship, sandcrawler etc the groundhug effect that suits em best :cool:
red clone's "stepping stone" for sharply-angled views of falcon, baltian, snowspeeder, swoop (poppin a wheelie :) )
black die-cast stand w/arm removed for moving-wings tyderium; as you slide it down its curve the wings close up :cool:

and just like taming unruly hair, sometimes mms gotta be dipped in hot water & re-bent to straighten em out. so far i done it with no ill effects on repcruiser, xwing, isd, ssd, bwing, botany bay, k-bop, klaestron, implander, suncrusher, vorlon cruiser, centransport and lots others that needed it :happy:
vt

vulcantouch
01-08-2003, 11:22 PM
r2 gave me that crazy super-silver r2 (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/IMAGES/r2figswindow_7.JPG) last week which just happened to be the Perfect time-o-year to groove on it! Someone's got herself the mm fashtouch methinx :cool:
also never mentioned that teemto's spider droid is great in the above 10/10 & 10/24 palettes :happy:
vt

vulcantouch
06-26-2004, 11:47 AM
now it's bc3's turn to raz me about my fotorez ;) if this worx, thanx to jt for techassist-

vulcantouch
06-27-2004, 08:44 PM
forgive bad framing, i'm still lurnin how this $2 cam aims :p thanx again to jt-

vulcantouch
07-04-2004, 03:06 PM
aka ginger bar (http://www.funkybuddhalounge.com/buddha_main.html); joined by b'jr (that's him in the shirt) and starring tron2.0 mercury, uberjango, lama su, kaztorp, centransport, coral vanda, furuta defiant, bongo, playset gian speeder, holoqueenship, sydlimo, whitestar, array, 2 minbaris, jemhadar, equinox, obsidian, repcruis, hms k-bop, voy, voyshut, salior & maquis :cool: thanx to techmaster jt as always-
vt

vulcantouch
07-06-2004, 11:52 PM
aka here (http://experimentalfilmchannel.com/id2.html); starring array, ef1, defiant, furuta defiant, sp-4's head, ent-a, corustaxi, centransport, sithinf, minbaris, holoqueenship, white star, saratoga, both gian speeders, jemhadar, vulcan, bongo, klaestron & legofett :D
vt
np: demon ritchie's remix of serge gainsbourg's "sea, sex & sun" :cool:

JediTricks
07-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Hey VT, to quote Peter Potamus on 'Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law', "did you get that thing I sent you?" (referring to the link to the free image editing program I found ya)

vulcantouch
07-07-2004, 11:13 PM
starring array, klae, furutadef, wytestarr, holoqueen, ent-a, coralvanda, bongo, gascapped gian, 2 minbaris, & more bad aim :p
tp (then playing): caetano veloso's Tieta Do Agreste soundtrack-
vt
p.s. to jt: yep i gotted it, thanx :)

vulcantouch
07-08-2004, 11:25 PM
starring ig2000, sp4 head, flashsp, gassygian, gigership, sithinf, corustaxi, hapes nova, sithbike, vulcan & a dish of rigate :smoker:
tp: john barry's Until September score-
vt

JediTricks
07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Well if you got it, then why are you still sending me images to convert? ;)

vulcantouch
07-09-2004, 09:10 PM
aka here (http://www.tatteredcover.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp;jsessionid=BD8BB2DAA8F1F9ABAD1128759A8918 2B.t4?s=localinterest&page=132612) (ring any pleasant bells, r2? :) ) and starring fx7, str4m9, array, coralv, bongo, ent-e, gian, jemh, snapfast repcr, kaztorp, centransport, a badly-cropped mercury & a french Elle mag :kiss:
tp: malcy's 'paris un' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005CEW/ref=cm_rev_next/104-0284177-5642348?v=glance&s=music&vi=customer-reviews&show=-submittime&start-at=11)
vt
p.s. to jt: aw quit crampin mah Style ovah heah, i just sed i Got it, not that i'd actually looked Into it which will of course remain a last resort ;) it so happens i figgered out howta convert bitmaps to jpg by sheer luck- but the two i just sent remain impervious to my "luck" :p

vulcantouch
07-11-2004, 02:12 PM
starring mercury, lama su, str4m9, array, wytestarr, corustaxi, holoqueen, gian, jemh, coralv, centransport, bongo, ent-e, kaztorp, repcruiser, maquis, voy, voyshut, equinox, sydlimo, minbaris & syd mead's Kronoteko tome :cool:
tp: roxy music, "true to life"-
vt

JediTricks
07-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Oh ho, I see how it is!

vulcantouch
07-12-2004, 11:46 AM
starring maquis, jemh, repcruiser, array, minbari warship, equinox, centransport, obsidian, sydlimo, voy, voyshut & kaztorp :cool:
tp: 10000 maniacs, "these are days"-
vt

r2dee2
07-12-2004, 04:01 PM
WOW VT, looks like you don't need me anymore ;) :p You're having GREAT fun with that little cam of yours :cool: !.....and yes, I do have pleasant memories of our fashion outings and meetings like the 2001 STARFEST (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/vtstarfestaut3508crop_9tf.jpg) MM dealer's room bounty hunt. :D

vulcantouch
07-13-2004, 09:52 AM
starring siskosailor, hms k-bop, maquis, jemh, obsidian, minbari warship, voy, voyshut, b5 station, narn heavy cruiser & legofett :)
tp: 10000 maniacs, "my sister rose"-
vt
r2: "You're having GREAT fun"
-is it that obvious? so much for any hope i may've had to characterize these proustian lingerings as tireless, altruistic boosterism on behalf of the mm world ;)

"don't need me anymore"
-oh i wouldn't say that; for one thing, my cam's a pieceaCrap compared to yours- in techassisting me jt remarked "might wanna try the hi-rez setting" and i had to reply "this Is the hi-rez" :p for another, if i'm as hard on it as i am on walkmen & other equipment, it'll prolly only last me a coupla months anyway :crazed: and of course, every fashionator Needs his muse, a la audhep&givenchy, oleg cassini&jackie, ysl&cath deneuve, dick avedon&veruschka, andy&edie (http://mr-30349.v-mirror.spb.ru/eddie_sedgwick/ae2.jpg), lagerfeld&evangelista- and uh, vt&r2? :kiss: but i spose if one Must deem oneself "unneeded", hawaii's a good place for it eh ;)
hey i never saw that pic of me & b'jr b4, where you been hidin that :crazed: hah, i look like adc's beaver-toothed putz (http://imdb.com/title/tt0101726/usercomments) when he knocks over a supermarket shampoo display while sputtering, "ooo! ooo! giusheppe fwanco hair pwoduct- jush what i wazh looking for!" :D

jt: is birdman atty a Futurama ref?

JediTricks
07-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Nope, Harvey Birdman is his own show, taking the Hanna-Barbera Birdman character from the '60s and turning him into a shoddy lawyer. His boss is Phil Ken Sebben, who is... nuts.

r2dee2
07-14-2004, 02:07 AM
You are always on the ball there VT:) You are right, the pic is one you might not have seen. I just put it on my STARFEST (http://r2toyforce.net/starfest.htm)
page, so you'd have a NEW picture to enjoy lol I have a few others in reserve for another time :p lol :D ;) :kiss:

I have one of those cheapy cams too, it's the size of a credit card. The pics may not be great, but it's still lots of fun to take pics wherever you go. That way you can always be in style in sharing your fashion statement.

vulcantouch
07-14-2004, 10:08 AM
while this (http://www.cherryarts.org/asp/users/) raged all round; starring applause cc, af stap, flashsp, sithinf repaint, tafanda bay, coral vanda, detached-turret aat & karemma :)
tp: bryan ferry, "time on my hands"-
vt
r2: "have a few others in reserve for another time"
-i'll try not to take that as a Threat :nerv:

vulcantouch
07-15-2004, 10:38 AM
starring cloud city, applause cc, ig2000, sithinf, flashsp, sithbike, scimitar, hapes nova, jn66 head & a sicilian salad :)
tp: john adams, "fearful symmetries"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-16-2004, 11:16 AM
starring str4m9, ef1, minbaris, array, furuta defiant, wytestar, jemh, ent-a, queenholo, a badly-cropped klaestron & a cfq mag's wrap-up of Voy season 7 :cool:
tp: sakamoto's Wild Palms score-
vt

vulcantouch
07-17-2004, 12:41 PM
starring jemh, obsidian, voy, voyshut, maquis, hms k-bop, sailor, sydlimo, equinox & voy series finale novelization :)
tp: chris isaak, "fade away"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-18-2004, 02:00 PM
starring mercury, fx7, str4m9, array, ent-e, jemh, klae, bongo, queenholo, no-gas gian, snapfast repcr, coralv, centransport, kaztorp, minbari flyer & a W magazine :kiss:
np: chic, "est-ce que c'est chic" (which means What, sicq? :smoker: )-
vt

vulcantouch
07-19-2004, 11:50 PM
starring sithinf repaint, bajfighter, kazmutha, kazraider, ds9, sds, mtt & runabout :)
tp: ryuichi sakamoto, "bibo no aozora"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-20-2004, 11:28 AM
aka here (http://cucinacolore.com/Default.htm); starring mercury, fx7, str4m9, ent-e, snapfast repcr, holoqueen, jemh, no-gas gian, centransport, array, bongo, kaztorp, an Interview mag & cp's Sexual Personae :cool:
tp: sakamoto, 'high tide' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DR7E/qid%3D1090340725/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-4977225-6375144)-
vt

vulcantouch
07-21-2004, 11:22 AM
aka here (http://highlandsgardencafe.com/hgc_floor_plan.html); starring sydlimo, jemh, obsidian, siskosail, hms k-bop, equinox, repcr, maquis, kazfighter, legofett & country pate :classic:
tp: jean-luc ponty, "plastic idols"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-22-2004, 09:57 AM
starring jemh, obsidian, voy, voyshut, maquis, hms k-bop, sailor, repcr, legofett, karemma, kazfighter, kazmutha, holo ds, sithinf repaint, mtt, kazraider & a badly-cropped equinox :p
tp: natalie merchant's live version of bowie's "space oddity"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-23-2004, 10:30 AM
i.e. here (http://www.washparkgrille.com/); starring mercury, str4m9, fx7, lamasu, queenholo, array, kaztorp, sydlimo, legofett, no-gas gian, ent-e, bongo, centransport, jemh, sailor, voy, voyshut, repcr, hms k-bop, maquis, obsidian, coralv, kazfighter & corustaxi :)
tp: bryan ferry, "your painted smile"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-24-2004, 12:21 PM
as you can tell from the palette & pix, sun's not so direct as on the last 2 visits, which of course affects our "casting"- to wit: starring mercury, str4m9, fx7, uberjango, lamasu, alpha tyderium, jemh, kazfighter, queenholo, ent-e, centransport, coralv, gians, bongo, snapfast repcr, & kaztorp :)
tp: grace jones, "fashion show"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-25-2004, 01:55 PM
note about this location's tres los angeles/Limey (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=202230&postcount=199) lighting: a seven-story, blue-glass office building across the street blocks the sun from ~1700 til ~1820, at which point which sun bursts from its side. shortly after, we're bathed from a competing angle by an orange-tinged reflection of the sunset from a copper-glassed office building located (from the pov of these pix) behind and to the right of us. hence the dramatic progression from pale blue, to direct yellow, to the latter combined with "fill-in" orange :cool: anyhoo starring mercury, lamasu, repcr, centransport, wytestar, coralv, array, minbari flyer, queenholo, bongo, sailor, obsidian, sydlimo, jemh, a badly-cropped alpha tyderium and bob evans' Kid Stays In The Picture bio :smoker:
tp: thomas dolby, "screen kiss"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-26-2004, 09:50 AM
starring furutadef, ent-a, array, ef1, sydlimo, klae, legofett, a passable cheesecake and the downtown/elitch (http://www.sixflags.com/parks/elitchgardens/Rides/index.html) skyline :cool:
tp: grace jones, "la vie en rose"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-27-2004, 11:48 AM
the progression of the weather's apparent in this series; starring mercury, fx7, str4m9, queenholo, array, ent-e, bongo, both gians, two different aats, jemh, flashsp, cortaxi, coralv, sithinf, sithinf repaint, karemma, af sithbike, af stap, ds9, applause cc & deckard groundcar (w/trunk-mounted saga dengar backpack) :cool:
tp: malcolm maclaren, "driving into delirium"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-28-2004, 09:25 AM
i.e. here (http://www.digitalcity.com/denver/entertainment/venue.adp?vid=193542); Damn this cam aims bad sometimes :p starring potj ig88, droideka, greenship, kazraider, centransport, 2 diff aats, runabout, ds9, bajfighter, af eka, mtt, numiri, deckardcar & a badly-cropped carrycase rolledeka :rolleyes:
tp: mclaren, "miles and miles of miles davis"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-29-2004, 10:31 AM
starring r3po, kazmutha, kazfighter, kazraider, af sithbike, sithinf repaint, bajfighter, sds, greenship, ds9, runabout, detach-turret aat, mtt, af droideka, cw rolled eka, carrycase rolled eka, af stap, centransport (note: just realized i've been mistakenly referring to centpassenger as this :rolleyes: ), numiri, karemma & droideka :cool:
tp: john barry's Ruby Cairo score-
vt

vulcantouch
07-30-2004, 10:49 AM
starring str4m9, ef1, array, minbari warship, klae, ent-a, ent-e, no-gas gian, jemh, queenholo & legofett :cool:
tp: sade, "paradise"-
vt

vulcantouch
07-31-2004, 09:56 AM
i.e. here (http://www.coralroom.com/index.html); starring cw rolled eka, holods, sailor, hms k-bop, kazfighter, tafanda bay, snapfast mtt, kazraider, kazmutha, repcruiser, karemma, aat, af stap, teemto pod & a badly-cropped equinox :p
tp: sakamoto, "nuages"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-01-2004, 01:49 PM
a mostly-gray, tonier vibe our palette reflects; starring uberjango, lamasu, cloud city, applause cc, jn66 head, array, sithbike & af sithbike, sithinf & sithinf repaint, both gians, flashsp, queenholo, ent-e, coralv, bongo, cortaxi & vreeland's Allure (http://www.twbookmark.com/books/12/0821227890/chapter_excerpt14957.html) :cool:
tp: raissa, 'poor little rich girl' (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005Y1T0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)-
vt

vulcantouch
08-02-2004, 11:48 AM
i.e. here (http://perkandpub.com/photos/); starring r3po, both rolled ekas, potj ig88, r2q5, greenship, numiri, kazmutha, kazraider, centransport, deckardcar, mtt, ds9, runabout, sithinf repaint, bajfighter & af droideka :)
tp: sakamoto, BTTB (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004KH9J/102-2517043-4779358?v=glance)-
vt

vulcantouch
08-03-2004, 10:46 AM
i.e. here (http://www.heidisbrooklyndeli.com/heidishistory.html); starring furutadef, minbari warship, ent-a, kaztorp, jemh & centPassengership :rolleyes:
tp: jlp, 'modern times blues' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002IGY/qid=1090990316/sr=1-31/ref=sr_1_31/102-2517043-4779358?v=glance&s=music)-
vt

vulcantouch
08-04-2004, 09:17 AM
starring our standard summer-sundown echelon, i.e. equinox, sailor, voy, voyshut, hms k-bop, obsidian, repcr, maquis, jemh & sydlimo :cool:
tp: petshopboys, "my october symphony"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-05-2004, 01:25 PM
starring uberjango, lamasu, lyn me, jn66 head, cortaxi, sithinf, sithinf repaint, flashsp, both gians, cloud city, applause cc, ent-e, coralv, centpass, queen holo, jemh, sds, sithbike, af sithbike & bongo :)
tp: bryan ferry, "easy living"-
vt

SWAFMAN
08-05-2004, 09:19 PM
finally bagged a decent bargain on a digicam. I took some pix of my collection this evening. Unfortunately, every time I try to upload a .jpg to this forum, it crashes my Norton Internet Security and I lose my internet connection. :confused:

vulcantouch
08-06-2004, 10:40 AM
i.e. this location (http://denver.lib.co.us/locations_hours/branches/parkhill.html); starring holods, kazf, kazm, sailor & a badly-cropped karemma :p
tp: sakamoto's Sheltering Sky score-
vt
p.s. to swaffy: didn't ralph kramden also used to rail against norton's ineptitude? :crazed:

vulcantouch
08-07-2004, 10:55 AM
starring cortaxi, ent-a, sithinf, flashsp, bongo, saratoga, a badly-cropped gian & mudpie :D
tp: chic, 'savoir faire' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002IIQ/qid=1091075431/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-7847841-8889632?v=glance&s=music)-
vt

SWAFMAN
08-07-2004, 03:18 PM
I've given up on the uploading of images. The size restriction is too small to load pix that will show enough detail for what I want to post.

I've uploaded some new (but admittedly crappy) pix of my collection (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/collectionspage/my_collections.htm) to my web page. Better images will hopefully follow...

vulcantouch
08-08-2004, 01:44 PM
i.e. here (http://www.latidadenver.com/food.htm); starring af eka, detach-turret aat, runabout, ds9, sds, sithinf repaint & sithbike :)
tp: enya, 'tempus vernum' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000050XEI/qid=1091075135/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/002-7847841-8889632)-
vt
p.s. to swaffy: too small eh? never thought i'd be Glad for my cam's lo-rez ability :Ponder:

vulcantouch
08-09-2004, 11:17 AM
starring fx7, str4m9, array, queenholo, no-gas gian, jemh, snapf repcr, centpass, ent-e, bongo & a british Vogue :kiss:
tp: maclaren, "la main parisienne"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-10-2004, 11:12 AM
starring flashsp, repcr, narnfighter, turreted aat & miradorn :)
tp: alberto iglesias' All About My Mother soundtrack-
vt

vulcantouch
08-11-2004, 09:21 AM
starring mercury fx7, str4m9, lamasu, uberjango, alpha tyd, array, queenholo, bongo, jemh, both gians, snapfast repcr, kaztorp, ent-e, centpass, cloudcity, applause cc, flashsp, af sithbike, kazf, cortaxi, sithinf & jn66 head :cool:
tp: maclaren, "revenge of the flowers"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-12-2004, 10:49 AM
i.e. here (http://solerarestaurant.com/); starring cw rolled eka, kazmutha, kazraider, mtt, af eka, greenship, ds9, runabout, bajfighter, (karemma sithinf repaint) a badly-cropped r3po :p
tp: sakamoto's Snake Eyes score-
vt

vulcantouch
08-13-2004, 11:12 AM
starring fx7, str4m9, minbaris, no-gas gian, centpass, wytestar, ent-e, queenholo, array, bongo, jemh & a badly-cropped kaztorp (only its shadow is visible) :p
tp: thomas newman's The Player end theme-
vt

vulcantouch
08-14-2004, 11:44 AM
starring sydlimo, jemh, obsidian, maquis, voy, voyshut, hms k-bop, sailor & yummy eggroll :D
tp: barry's View To A Kill score-
vt

vulcantouch
08-15-2004, 01:46 PM
starring merc, str4m9, fx7, array, bongo, kaztorp, ent-e, no-gas gian, jemh, queenholo & a Bazaar mag pic of textiles designed by yummy veronica etro (http://www.harpersbazaar.com/etoc/articles/2004/020104_4.html) :kiss:
tp: "bond lured to pyramid" from barry's Moonraker score-
vt

vulcantouch
08-16-2004, 10:27 AM
i.e. here (http://www.denvergov.org/AboutDenver/today_driving_beat_stop5.asp); starring tafanda, jemh, kazf, voy, voyshut, obsid, maquis, repcr, sailor, hms k-bop, equinox, snapfast kazraider, kazm, and badly-cropped karemma & teemtopod :p
tp: 10000 maniacs, "city of angels" (bet you thought cuz of locale's history it'd be 10km's "hey jack kerouac" eh? PSYCH :D )-
vt

vulcantouch
08-17-2004, 10:01 AM
i.e. here (http://www.lalomarestaurant.com/); starring furuta defiant, minbari warship, ef1, array, ent-a, ent-e, klae, saratoga and a Great beef burrito :p
tp: sade, "keep hanging" (b-side live instrumental using "hang on to your love" bassline)-
vt

vulcantouch
08-18-2004, 09:23 AM
starring sithinf repaint, repcr, flashsp, miradorn, hapes nova & af sithbike :)
tp: madredeus' Lisbon Story score-
vt

vulcantouch
08-19-2004, 12:41 PM
starring ef1, array, furutadef, ent-a, klae, jemh & some background guy who actually seems to worry this pic might actually be in any way concerned with Him :rolleyes:
tp: philip glass, "open the kingdom"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-20-2004, 02:28 PM
i.e. here (http://www.stellascoffeehaus.com/home.html) (right across street from fashpost 181's location); starring equinox, sailor, hms k-bop, voy, voyshut, obsidian, maquis, repcr & an "airborne" jemh :cool:
tp: 10000 maniacs, "the painted desert"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-21-2004, 12:32 PM
starring defiant, jemh, ent-a, warbird, klae, minbari warship, ef1, array,
tp: glass, "changing opinion"-
vt

britcit3
08-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey VT

Your pics of your micros are nice, but I prefer the views out of the window in the background - man, I LOVE the USA! (only been for 2 weeks, but adore the place).

What is the chance of you or one of the USA SSG MM/AF forummers sorting out a green card for me?

BC3
(in rainy, rainy Lancashire (twinned with Ferenginar)).

SWAFMAN
08-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Need a green card? May I suggest? (http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/06/greencard.game.reut/)

;)

britcit3
08-22-2004, 04:22 AM
And I thought that British reality TV shows were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

BC3

vulcantouch
08-23-2004, 12:29 PM
as for Why i missed posting here yesterday, that'll be made clear about a dozen mm fashposts from now :)

bc3: "prefer the views out of the window in the background"
-by "window" do you mean the background context of pix in general (that is, when it shows something other than a table surface), whether there's a window or not? if so, way ahead of ya in that it recently occured to me to, a la the airborne jemh at stella's above, feature flight stix-facilitated pix of a single ship when said tabletop angle may not entirely convey the vibe of the deployment context :cool: however, since vibe conveyance remains my main purpose here, and since the root of my mm fash thesis is that my selection & arrangement of the tabletop ship palette-mosaic itself conveys something of that vibe's essence (which is why i bother y'all with these here in the 1st place), i will continue to emphasize the forMMations. but thanx for remarx, i'm always eager to hear thoughts & reactions to my methods & results :)

"I LOVE the USA"
-"and i love cardassia, which is why i must do what i do", vt responds cryptically with a quote from garak (to quark, in ds9's "profit & loss" )-
vt

vulcantouch
08-23-2004, 12:32 PM
starring kazf, sailor, karemma, repcr, holods, teemtopod, tafanda, equinox, voyshut, maquis & jemh :cool:
tp: glass & ravi shankar's Passages-
vt

vulcantouch
08-25-2004, 10:40 PM
starring jemh, def, furutadef, klae, ent-a, ef1, array, minbaris, queenholo, aldarpod, vintfett, repcr and badly-cropped maquis, kaztorp & warbird :p
tp: glass, "liquid days"-
vt (oh boy, attachments are back :D)

vulcantouch
08-26-2004, 10:35 AM
i.e. here (http://www.denverpost.com/cda/article/print/0,1674,36%257E43%257E2268222,00.html); starring r3po, r2q5, droideka, af eka, both rolledekas, af sithbike, kaz r, m & f, greenship, numiri, mtt, snapfast mtt, ds9, runabout, sithinf repaint, karemma, repcr, & watambor holoship :cool:
tp: sakamoto, "rio"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-27-2004, 01:24 PM
starring lyn me, vintfett, saratoga, hapes nova, klae, miradorn, aldarpod, marie celeste, vulcan, queenholo, flashsp, badly-cropped white star & se outrider, a nearly-hidden gigership & a cranberry muffin :p
tp: sade, "every word"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-28-2004, 12:50 PM
i.e. here (http://www.dialmformax.com/archives/000102.html); starring potj ig88, r2q5, tibanna, sithinf repaint, sds, ds9, runabout, kazr, bajf, af droideka, sailor, snapfast kazr, kazf, karemma & marie celeste :cool:
tp: sakamoto, "hemisphere"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-29-2004, 01:56 PM
starring str4m9, array, jemh, centpass, klae, ent-a, minbaris, furuta def, ef1, kaztorp, queenholo, warbird & a german Vogue :cool:
tp: barry's Living Daylights score-
vt

vulcantouch
08-30-2004, 11:34 AM
starring jemh, obsidian, hms k-bop, tibanna, tafanda, kazf, kazr, wat tambor's holoship, karemma, kazm, repcr, sailor, furuta k-bop, holods, equinox, voy, voyshut, maquis & a 'talian sangwich :p
tp: nat merchant, "ophelia"-
vt

vulcantouch
08-31-2004, 11:08 AM
i.e. here (http://www.colfaxcenterdeli.com/); starring defiant, r3d3, warbird, agt ent-d, minbari warship, ent-a, ef1, array, aldarpod, klae & badly-cropped jemh :p
tp: chic, 'sao paolo' (aka defiant-a's original name ;))
vt

vulcantouch
09-01-2004, 09:39 AM
i.e. here (http://www.denverlasmargaritas.com/); starring legofett, equinox, furuta kbop, sailor, voy, voyshut, repcr, maquis, jemh, obsidian, narn hd & a "cloaked" airborne hms k-bop- can you spot it? :beard:
tp: bryan ferry, "day for night" -
vt

vulcantouch
09-02-2004, 11:00 AM
starring vintfett, furutadef, array, centpass, kaztorp, queenholo, ent-e, white star, minbari flyer, saratoga & "airborne" jemh :cool:
tp: 808 state, 'qmart' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000DFMO/ref=m_art_li_19/102-7935408-6832107?v=glance&s=music)-
vt

vulcantouch
09-03-2004, 10:34 AM
starring ef1, vint fett, r3d3, defiant, furutadef, ent-a, kaztorp, queenholo, centpass, aldarpod, melbourne, jemh, klae, warbird, the bobo bible (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684853787/qid=1092803465/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-2058700-3481556?v=glance&s=books&n=507846), badly-cropped array & minbari warship :p
tp: ponty, 'watching birds' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002IGY/qid=1094013335/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/102-3420019-7308119?v=glance&s=music)-
vt

vulcantouch
09-05-2004, 01:40 PM
starring ef1, array, ent-a, defiant & furutadef, warbird, centpass, queenholo, klae, repcr & badly-cropped jemh :p
tp: glass' Mishima score-
vt

vulcantouch
09-07-2004, 10:48 AM
i.e. here (http://www.dailyexperience.com/2004/04/27/0001); starring equinox, sailor, voy, voyshut, narn hd, obsidian, legofett, furuta k-bop, hms k-bop, repcr, maquis, sydlimo, jemh, vulcan, narn hc, & badly-cropped b5 station, minbaris & vintage fett :p
tp: mazzy star, "blue light"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-08-2004, 09:28 AM
i.e. here (http://alatomate.com/); starring vulcan, se outrider, hapes nova, white star, ef1, defiant, aldarpod, ent-a, melbourne, klae, saratoga & a blueberry cheesecake remnant :p
tp: midge "ultravox" ure's live version of visage's "fade to grey" (which he wrote)-
vt

vulcantouch
09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
i.e. the place that wouldn't open the outdoor seating that looks out onto city park across da street on warehouse sale day (http://r2toyforce.net/sale.htm) even tho the weather was gaw-juss, remember r2? :rolleyes: anyhoo starring melbourne, hapes nova, gigership, se outrider, excelsior, defiant & badly-cropped grissom, furutadef & furuta stargazer :p
tp: barry's Masquerade score-
vt

vulcantouch
09-10-2004, 10:35 AM
i.e. here (http://www.stmarkscoffeehouse.com/?); starring r4m9, "airborne" narn f, 300fettpack, ig88 fettpack, se outrider, sst dropship, retrieval ship, marie celeste, galvoy "ark II" repaint and badly-cropped khaki stealth bomber, miradorn & tac fighter :p
tp: sakamoto's score for almodovar's High Heels-
vt

vulcantouch
09-11-2004, 10:18 AM
i.e. here (http://www.parisidenver.com/index.html); starring furuta stargazer, 300fett & ig88 fettpacks, r1g4, vintfett, melbourne, def, z-12 galvoy & airborne aldarpod :cool:
tp: sven vath, "robot"-
vt (ah, prev day's pix finally attached above :classic: )

vulcantouch
09-12-2004, 02:41 PM
i.e. here (http://www.buckhorn.com/history.htm); overlooking the railyards and starring furuta reliant, r3d3, obsidian, galvoy, aldarpod, repcr, warbird, defiant, legofett, furutakbop, equinox, voy, voyshut, jemh, hms k-bop, maquis, sailor, vintfett and 12" fettpack & DomWars game i'd freshly bagged that day; hey, BE shows off its trophies (see their gallery) and i shows off mine :smoker:
tp: cisaak? beat farmers, "big ugly wheels"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-13-2004, 01:06 PM
starring r1g4, r4m9, r3d3, aldarpod, furuta reliant, z-12, sote swoop, melbourne, pasteur, tac fighter, sst dropship, retrieval ship, ark II, narn fighter, 300 & ig88 bobapacks & 2 diff jangopacks (including badly-cropped airborne one) :p
tp: chic, "lost in music"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-14-2004, 09:53 AM
since it was too dark for the pix i took later that evening at mao (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E43%257E2254406,00.html#) (just up the street shown in 1st pic below; from that perspect, karemma's parked right above it) to come out, i guess these'll hafta count as "cafesluMMin's" in their place :cheeky: starring airborne karemma & vulcan :cool:
tp: sakamoto's Litte Buddha score-
vt

SWAFMAN
09-14-2004, 10:10 PM
what did you use to hold the karemma? it looks very cool, like it's about to cruise down between the buildings sort of blade runner-esque.

vulcantouch
09-15-2004, 09:40 AM
starring customized "sp-66", applause droideka, apc, kazf, runabout, ds9, medfrigate & "airborne" (via usual flight stick, swaffy) dropship :cool:
tp: style council, "the paris match"-
vt

SWAFMAN
09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
The lighting and general fuzziness of that dropship pic makes it look, to me, like some bizarre, duck-footed, flying PowerRangers cyber-dog "zord".

(I gotta lighten-up on those 12 martini lunches ;) )

vulcantouch
09-16-2004, 11:03 AM
i.e. here (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E43%257E2099499,00.html#
http://www.denverhappyhour.com/venues/VenueDetails.asp?VI=526680394.20); starring airborne aldarpod & badly off-center jangopack (tell it, swaffy- you'd be surprised how tricky it is to place a flite-sticked ship where you want it in the frame when your cam's not an slr, i.e. viewfinder & aperture don't share the same sightline :crazed: )
tp: david van teighem, "galaxy" (last year RR was Galaxy Grill)-
vt

vulcantouch
09-17-2004, 10:20 AM
starring a maquis surfin the sidewalk & a voy surfin the sunset :cool:
tp: 10000 manaics, "like the weather"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-18-2004, 11:21 AM
starring r2b1, r3d3, aldarpod, melbourne, furuta reliant, defiant & both jangopax :cool:
tp: van teighem, "particle ballet"- -
vt

vulcantouch
09-19-2004, 01:46 PM
i.e. here (http://www.lakesideamusementpark.com/Park_Information/Park_Information_2004.htm); starring obsidian and badly-cropped furuta kbop, voyshut and voy (only its port nacelle's visible in the upper-left corner, in the last pic w/other "flight-sticked" ships :rolleyes: )
tp: roy orbison, "dream you"-
vt

SWAFMAN
09-19-2004, 08:19 PM
...great concept, even if the pic didn't come out as desired.

vulcantouch
09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
starring vt (i'm reflected in window of 1st shot), r2b1, r3d3, vintfett, 12" jangopack, melbourne, pasteur, warbird, maquis, airborne z12, aldarpod & jangopak and a primer on a guy w/appropriate initials (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0863162312/qid=1095136232/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-2390816-4795030?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) ;)
tp: 808 state, "black dartagnon" (on your Don Solaris cd, swaffy)-
vt (lakarian city's closed for the season; o well there's always next year eh swaffy?)

vulcantouch
09-21-2004, 12:52 PM
starring wa-7, tibanna, snapfast kazr & mtt, marie celeste, uscm dropship, ds9, runabout, a kinda hidden watambor holoship & yummy beef burrito :silly:
tp: morricone rmx (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005CCVK/qid%3D1095789260/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-5411933-6130407)-
vt

vulcantouch
09-22-2004, 09:53 AM
starring r3d3, defiant, maquis, z12, aldarpod, melbourne & airborne pasteur :cool:
tp: barry's The Deep disco theme-
vt

vulcantouch
09-23-2004, 10:59 AM
starring r2b1, r3d3, defiant, pasteur, aldarpod, z12, melbourne & airborne maquis :cool:
tp: sylvester, "you make me feel mighty real"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
i.e. here (http://www.opalrestaurant.com/); starring sydlimo, obsidian, jemhadar & sailor flirting w/the building on the opposite corner (http://www.visitthebeauvallon.com/) :cool:
tp: electronic "some distant memory"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-25-2004, 11:47 AM
starring obsidian (w/windshield reflection above it) :cool:
tp: beat farmers, "texas"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-26-2004, 01:36 PM
starring '95 fettpack, 2 diff jangopax, narn hd, sailor, hms, obsidian, voy, voyshut, furuta kbop, legofett, a badly-cropped repcr, 12" jangopak, equinox, the Equinox novelization & an airborne maquis :cool:
tp: propaganda, 'the chase' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DFMM/qid=1095137246/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/103-2390816-4795030)-
vt (bonus pts if you can ID the DS9 shot i think the maquis pic recalls :Ponder: )

vulcantouch
09-27-2004, 09:54 AM
formerly http://guzelcoffee.com/; starring r1g4, r2b1, r4m9, r3d3, 12" jangopak, pasteur, farragut, 300 & ig88 fettpax, marie celeste, tacfighter, badly-cropped aldarpod and airborne v1 k-bop & z12 :cool:
tp: chic, "burn hard"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-28-2004, 03:59 PM
i.e. here (http://cubacubacafe.com/); starring holo ds, watambor holo, kaz r & m, snapfast kaz r, uscm dropship, cw rolledeka, wa-7, karemma, tibanna, airborne sailor & badly-cropped sst dropship :p
tp: zero 7, "truth & rights"-
vt

vulcantouch
09-29-2004, 10:56 AM
starring carkoon boba, sailor, hms, gen & furuta k-bops, 95fettpak, equinox, legofett, galor, obsidian, n1, repcr, nhd, maquis, voy, airborne voyshut & marie celeste and a DomWar novellization :cool:
tp: earth wind & fire, "shining star"-
vt (whoops, shoulda posted today's monday, & vice-versa :p )

vulcantouch
09-30-2004, 12:13 PM
starring r1g4, r4m9, r2b1, vintfett, 12" jangopak, uscm & sst dropships, narcissus, khaki stealth, se outrider, narn f, m celeste, 300, ig88 & ke fettpax, tac fighter, med frigate, pasteur, z12, stargazer, obsidian, gv arkII, v1 & gen k-bops and badly-cropped carkoon boba, ssp recon, retrieval ship and a paris Vogue :cool:
tp: jefferson starship, "jane"-
vt

vulcantouch
10-01-2004, 10:48 AM
i.e. here (http://restaurantaix.com/photos.html); starring ds9, holods, watambor holo, sst dropship, sote swoop, snapfast kazr, sailor, karemma, ferengi and Badly-cropped airborne kazm & arquillian :p
tp: bronski beat, ain't necessarily so"-
vt

vulcantouch
10-02-2004, 10:11 AM
i.e. here (http://www.highlands-square.com/dining.asp); starring ody pitdroid, se outrider, narcissus, khaki stealth, hapes nova & airborne skipray :cool:
tp: kate bush, "army dreamers"-
vt

vulcantouch
10-03-2004, 06:15 PM
starring carkoon boba, r2b1, wa-7, cw rolledeka, 12" jangopak, legofett, 95, ig88 & ke bobapax, v1 & hms k-bops, snapfast kazr & mtt, usmc & sst dropships, sailor, ssp recon, ferengi, gv "ark2", tibanna, apc, arquillian, karemma, obsidian & badly-cropped airborne galor :p
tp: mellow, 'le monde de frank sangster' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005RYDU/qid=1096518522/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-8309126-1702345)-
vt

vulcantouch
10-04-2004, 11:42 AM
starring r2b1, r3d3, furuta reliant, pasteur, sp & 95 fettpax, v1 k-bop, badly-cropped buckroj dc and airborne stargazer :p
tp: glass, "forgetting"-
vt

SWAFMAN
10-04-2004, 02:43 PM
that reliant looks quite interesting. display- and scale-wise, do you think it would hold up on a shelf with AFs and their bastard stepchildren - the Playmates Strike Force ships?

p.s. "badly cropped"? the existence of the ships is more "implied" than visible! ;)

vulcantouch
10-05-2004, 12:53 PM
starring vintfett, r2b1, 12" jangopak, aldarpod, voy, voyshut, maquis, obsidian, v1 k-bop, airborne equinox, furuta k-bop and '04's final apparance of my signature summer ship, jemh's (unusually late in the season due to this day vibe's summery reversion) :cool:
tp: 10k maniacs, "you happy puppet"-
vt
p.s. to swaffy: indeed; my only consolation is what astaire reputedly told a young jack lemmon: "at your level you're allowed one big mistake. the higher up you go, the more mistakes you're allowed. then, if you make them enough, they come to be considered part of your style" :D

vulcantouch
10-06-2004, 09:21 AM
i.e. here (http://www.witzcoffee.com/); starring wa-7, ody pitdroid, cw rolledeka, m celeste (kinda hidden- see if you can spot it), tibanna, sst & uscm dropship, galor, gv "ark2", nhd, snapfast kaz r, apc, carkoon-exhaust-affixed sailor & watambor holoship and airborne hms k-bop
tp: mellow, "lovely light"-
vt

vulcantouch
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
fronting the valet parking circle across street from usual FS perch (behind cloud-reflecting windows in anapod pic) and starring r2b1, 12" jangopak, furuta reliant, stargazer, '95 & saga bobapax, dc buckroj, z12 gv, aldarpod; and while the ssp recon gv enters the valet circle perfectly a la a snowspeeder returning to hothbase, luke's landspeeder has, uh, less success :p
tp: boz scaggs, "lowdown"-
vt

vulcantouch
10-08-2004, 10:40 AM
starring snapfast maquis & voy, ent-d, sauc-sep ent-d, flurry and badly-cropped furuta stargazer & ent-c :p
tp: blackbyrds, "walkin in rhythm"-
vt

vulcantouch
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
starring r2b1, r3d3, furuta stargazer, dc buckroj, melroune, sauc-sep ent-d, airborne v1 ent-d and yummy beefburrito :p
tp: chic, "reach your peak"-
vt

vulcantouch
10-10-2004, 03:30 PM
starring r2b1, betty, sailor, gen & hms k-bops, bioship, galor, obsidian, nhd, ke jagnopak, anapod, airborne v1 k-bop and "cloaked" furuta k-bop :cool:
tp: linda rondstadt, "heatwave"-
vt
15lm6 11 10 1? 2anapod?