PDA

View Full Version : Has Star Wars collecting "Jumped the Shark?"

decadentdave
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
With the release of the McQuarrie and concept figures, it seems Hasbro is finally getting around to doing things that were at or near the bottom of their list of things to do when all other avenues had been exhausted. Granted there's dozens of background characters with less than 1.5 seconds of screen time (Ice Cream Maker Guy) they have yet to do but it seems many of these long-desired fan favorites are beginning to see the light of day this year or next. Plus the endless assortments of repacks, repaints and kit-bashes (Entertainment Earth Mandalorian Commandos for example) could this be a tell-tale sign that Hasbro has "Jumped the Shark" and the line is just trying to find any excuse to keep itself going?

(It's too bad we don't have a polling option in these forums.)

Ji'dai
07-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I suppose casual fans could take a look at the current assortments and say Hasbro is really scraping the bottom of the barrel in looking for figure ideas to produce. Maybe Hasbro is trying to stretch the line out until the television series premieres.

Personally, I'm more enthused about collecting in the non-movie years since I'm more excited about background characters and EU figures than getting repacks or rehashes of main characters. But I've been collecting for 30 years now and rehashes of Han, Luke, Leia, and Vader just don't do it for me any more.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I think they'll have plenty of new figures to make once the Clone Wars premieres and after that, so no, I don't think they've "jumped the shark." There are still several versions of main characters left to do, as well as updates to crappy figures from earlier in the line (and throughout). I don't see the McQuarrie figures as you might, since the Stormtrooper from 2003 was a Fans' Choice winner and the current ones are always sold out, so there is obviously a demand there.

Sinscia Fat'o
07-12-2007, 01:36 PM
As long as star wars stays in the media there will be figures and such by hasbro. Force unleashes for example is going to be a huge marketing blitz for it and around it, if that goes well then yes star wars will be around for awhile. If it bombs then we might see a short year or two coming up until the clone wars cartoon. I still dont see the tv series happening at least any time soon, but if and when it does you'll see a another attempt at bringing back star wars. But do i think ideas for the line is being scraped from the bottom of the barrell, i'd say sure but its working since the 30th anniversery collection is nearly impossable to find, and the concept figures are even harder to find than the normal ones, so if scraping the bottom is what they're doing then it worked. But personally i like these kinda years we see stuff we would normally never see, like Quinlon Vos, Crimson Empire, Ig-88 SA, which was awesome, so hey i kinda like how the direction of the brand is moving.

Beast
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
The only thing that's jumped the shark is the term jumped the shark. :p

bigbarada
07-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I do believe that Star Wars has "jumped the shark" so to speak.

TAC figures are so hard to find because there is a massive problem with distribution of this line, not because they are selling out. And the popularity of the McFigures just goes to show that the fans are getting bored with movie figures. That's also the case with the "Shadow" troopers figures.

The fact that we got two Biggs figures in consecutive waves really does show that Hasbro is running out of ideas.

While I think shifting the focus to EU might be welcomed by a portion of existing Star Wars fans; I don't believe it will ever be popular enough to carry the line in retail stores for long. I doubt even half of the current collectors will continue to buy the figures if Hasbro shifts over to EU completely.

I'm actually reaching the end of my interest in the Star Wars line as the list of figures I want to see made is down to less than 10.

Just because Lucasfilm and Hasbro are going to push this Force Unleashed nonsense as the next big thing doesn't mean that it will necessarily be a success, look at Shadows of the Empire.

While I will be getting off this boat if EU continues to grab a bigger slice of the Star Wars action figure pie, I do hope that the cartoon is successful enough that Hasbro gives us a really nice AT-TE vehicle.

Personally I wish Hasbro would just simplify things. Get rid of the expensive sublines like the Transformers, Unleashed Battle Packs, etc. and focus solely on the standard action figure line. That would hopefully free up enough funds to make EVERY figure "vintage" quality for the standard price. From what I understand the Transformers line takes up a huge amount of Hasbro's Star Wars funding; so getting rid of that should allow them to improve the quality of the soft-goods and the articulation of every figure.

Sinscia Fat'o
07-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I do believe that Star Wars has "jumped the shark" so to speak.

TAC figures are so hard to find because there is a massive problem with distribution of this line, not because they are selling out. And the popularity of the McFigures just goes to show that the fans are getting bored with movie figures. That's also the case with the "Shadow" troopers figures.

The fact that we got two Biggs figures in consecutive waves really does show that Hasbro is running out of ideas.

While I think shifting the focus to EU might be welcomed by a portion of existing Star Wars fans; I don't believe it will ever be popular enough to carry the line in retail stores for long. I doubt even half of the current collectors will continue to buy the figures if Hasbro shifts over to EU completely.

I'm actually reaching the end of my interest in the Star Wars line as the list of figures I want to see made is down to less than 10.

Just because Lucasfilm and Hasbro are going to push this Force Unleashed nonsense as the next big thing doesn't mean that it will necessarily be a success, look at Shadows of the Empire.

While I will be getting off this boat if EU continues to grab a bigger slice of the Star Wars action figure pie, I do hope that the cartoon is successful enough that Hasbro gives us a really nice AT-TE vehicle.

Personally I wish Hasbro would just simplify things. Get rid of the expensive sublines like the Transformers, Unleashed Battle Packs, etc. and focus solely on the standard action figure line. That would hopefully free up enough funds to make EVERY figure "vintage" quality for the standard price. From what I understand the Transformers line takes up a huge amount of Hasbro's Star Wars funding; so getting rid of that should allow them to improve the quality of the soft-goods and the articulation of every figure.

I had no idea that the transformers line took away from hasbro's funds for the line so much, i knew i hated that line for a reason. i also agree with you in the fact that making every figure vintage quality would improve hasbro's success with the line. And also your not joking about the distrubution it's horrid!!! I work for wal-mart so i go over to the toy section and scan the pegs to see if were getting any star wars figures in and there's none in warehouse and none on the way...all we have left is three of the two packs wal mart exclusives, and pegs of chewie and emperor rehashes, greatested battles wave...hasbro is dropping the ball very badly with this line.

As for shadows of the empire...it was a marketing dissaster that much is true, but also the concept figures from that time where also huge huge dissappoitments, like the air speeder, snow speeder and cloud cars conceot vechiles...those things despite being cool for their time where shelf warming for the better part of a year. with that being said i think shadows just happened at a bad time and that if it was done right now in 2007 it would be very successful. my main point with that is because when shadows first came about intrest in the orginal movies were at an all time high again since younger generations where discovering star wars and introducing a new book like that didn't appeal to 5-10 year olds who dont have the abbility to read a 360 page book no matter how good it might be.

Jargo
07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
meh.............

jjreason
07-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Yep. When I'm starting to lose interest (and no, I'm not quitting by any stretch.... just kind of "ho humming" as it were), it has. For me anyhow.

2-1B
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
years ago.

Beast
07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
You realize that was more due to the necessary shifting of the 'Battle of Yavin' wave that was intended to come out last year, right?

bigbarada
07-12-2007, 06:52 PM
You realize that was more due to the necessary shifting of the 'Battle of Yavin' wave that was intended to come out last year, right?

Okay, how about getting two Biggs figures within just months of each other is evidence that the Hasbro is running out of ideas?

While I don't think that we will see a complete collapse of the Star Wars brand similar to what happened in the mid-80s. I do think that we will see a gradual but steady decline in interest as one half-baked idea after another is churned out in a vain attempt to fill the void left by the films. Similar to how Star Trek went on a steady downhill slide after they cancelled TNG.

evenflow
07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Nope this year is possibly the best year of figures ever.

bigbarada
07-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Nope this year is possibly the best year of figures ever.

That doesn't seem to be the case when you listen to people's rants over the slightest inaccuracies in the recent figures.

Beast
07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
That doesn't seem to be the case when you listen to people's rants over the slightest inaccuracies in the recent figures.
You've been here as long as I have.

People arn't happy unless they're complaining. You should know that by now. :)

dr_evazan22
07-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm still holding out for a re-issue of the ever popular Cruise Missile Trooper. I could die happy if they did a Cruise Missile Trooper Chopper!

bigbarada
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
You've been here as long as I have.

People arn't happy unless they're complaining. You should know that by now. :)

Yes, I know and it seems that the better the figures get, the more severe the complaints become.:stupid:

Back to Shadows of the Empire for a moment. I believe one of the biggest reasons that it flopped had a lot to do with how "young" the new Star Wars line was at that point.

I remember asking myself, "Why are they making this garbage when they haven't even made a removable helmet Vader yet?" And I suspect many other fans were thinking the same thing.

I do think that the comic 2-packs are a mild stroke of genius on Hasbro's part and the best way to begin introducing EU into the line, but I don't see it becoming anything more than a moderate success at best. It's just the nature of toys.

Spider-Man was a popular comic book character for over 30 years, but didn't become a popular action figure until the cartoon series premiered in the early 90s (I don't remember any action figures for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends).

It seems to be the same with video games. With as popular as the Halo video game is, how many Halo based toys do you see clogging the Wal-Mart aisles?

My personal theory is that it has to do with our hands. When you are watching a TV show or movie you are passive, so you're hands are free to do nothing. Thus, holding in your hands a plastic representation of what you are seeing onscreen is a great way to feel involved with the TV show or movie that you are watching. Especially for a kid who would love to crawl inside the screen and touch and interact with the characters directly.

With video games you're hands are occupied with the controller, with comic books your hands are needed to hold the comic and turn the pages. So your hands aren't free and action figures seem to just get in the way more than anything else. The same would apply to a novel.

Which is why I don't believe that video games, comic books and novels translate as well into action figures. All of the most successful action figure lines have been attached to television shows or movies (Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, Batman/X-Men/Spider-Man (after the movies and cartoons), etc.)

Just my personal theory.

Darth Cruel
07-12-2007, 10:14 PM
"Jump the Shark"...hmmm...I had to look that one up. It does not apply here though because it refers to TV shows passing their peak of popularity. I am not sure if it would apply even as it translates to Star Wars action figures. It seems to me that if the shoppers are still buying the figures in large numbers, it wouldn't. But if shoppers have stopped buying them...it might.

So what we have to determine is:

Are the figures being bought or not? My own perception is that the shoppers still can't get enough of them. With the exception of a very few (by comparison to overall number of figures) unpopular peg-warmers.

Kidhuman
07-12-2007, 11:44 PM
I dont think it has. It has been a great year so far for really nice figures. The distribution issues have most of us turning to online buying for cases because we are not guarenteed to find alot of stuff. Also we want the damn McQ figs.

I think the comic 2 packs have been nice. I have bought a few of them even though I didnt want to at first, but they are better than I thought.

Some of the sublines like the TF's need to go. They might sell in laregly populated areas, but here they warm like a old skool Mickey D's apple pie(yeah the fried ones)

I also like the veihcle rel;eases this year. I have bought quite a bit more this year than the past years combined(3 so far).

the GH line is great, I hope they dont cut that line at all.

Overall I would say no they havent.

El Chuxter
07-13-2007, 12:47 AM
I've not been finding items with the frequency I once did. And, strangely, I don't care too much. There are a few figures I must get this year, and an incredible (for me, at least) number that I either plan to pass on or won't be bothered if I don't find.

Beast
07-13-2007, 12:48 AM
I doubt Galactic Heroes would be cut.

Considering Hasbro's doing all of it's major properties in that format now.

We just need Indiana Jones Heroes and G.I. Joe Heroes.

As long as we get a cute smiling melty face Belloq, I'll be happy. :D

El Chuxter
07-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I read somewhere that they weren't going to do a GIJoe version of Galactic Heroes, since they couldn't come up with anything Joe-related that used the term "Hero." :D

Beast
07-13-2007, 01:07 AM
I read somewhere that they weren't going to do a GIJoe version of Galactic Heroes, since they couldn't come up with anything Joe-related that used the term "Hero." :D
That sucks. The line is so perfect for G.I. Joe. G.I. Heroes?

jedi master sal
07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
That sucks. The line is so perfect for G.I. Joe. G.I. Heroes?

He's kidding Beast. Go take your pill and you'll be okay...

JediTricks
07-13-2007, 10:36 PM
The only thing that's jumped the shark is the term jumped the shark. :pI was gonna say that! :D

I don't think SW has passed its prime, if anything I think this focus on "vintage-style" has made it seem like we have the Ultimate Leia, Han, Luke, and them guys when nothing could be further from the truth. I know a lot of you guys think VOTC Han is great, but if that's the best Hasbro can do - they SHOULD stop making action figures! Luckily they're proving over and over it's not even remotely.

Hasbro Star Wars collecting has a solid 13th consecutive year planned ahead for '08, Force Unleashed and the new animated Clone Wars are going to carry collecting into '09. Just like everything, but especially SW's past, collecting this line has its ebbing and flowing. I think part of the problem is that we're seeing such a big focus on "no pegwarmers!!!" that Hasbro's just pushing a ton of product out with every wave, there's no way for casual collectors to catch up or find anything when wave 3 crushes wave 2 on the pegs only weeks after its release. Maybe we don't need 60 new figures a year, and maybe we don't need a rainbow of Jedi Starfighters alone, but for now it seems to be working.

Every wave has something that most fans can dig whether it be main characters, background guys, or army builders - how can anybody call that "jumped the shark" is beyond me. I think the only thing that's "jumped the shark" is the notion of being a completist, when fans stop buying product they DON'T want, they're going to notice that there's plenty they DO want.

decadentdave
07-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Whether you like it or not the term "Jump the Shark" is an irrevocable part of the cultural lexicon and is used not only to signify when a television series has overstayed its welcome but also to signify when other significant popcultural influences (movies, music, etc.) have long since peaked and can no longer sustain the impact/demand that it once had.

waboritas
07-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I say no as this years lineup is great. I love Wave 2 and 3 of the Comic Packs. I want almost all of the basic figs. The Mcline is fantastic. I wasa very discressionary collector last year, but this year I am really into everything in the 3 3/4 and GH lines. It helps that I had a son in February so I can justify the hobby a bit more to my wife, although she still gets po'd that I continue to buy them. This weekend I have to put up a shelf for his GHs before she throws them out. I displayed them in from of his books on his bookcase figuring he can't read books like Walter the Farting Dog yet. A must read if you have not already.

El Chuxter
07-14-2007, 10:32 AM
BTW, the obvious name: GIJoe: Real American Heroes.

JediTricks
07-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Whether you like it or not the term "Jump the Shark" is an irrevocable part of the cultural lexicon and is used not only to signify when a television series has overstayed its welcome but also to signify when other significant popcultural influences (movies, music, etc.) have long since peaked and can no longer sustain the impact/demand that it once had.Irrevocable? Hardly. It's a popular aspect of geek culture and pop culture but time swallows nearly all of those. Also, some linguists feel that it's already become overused to the point of diluting its initial meaning, and just hackneyed in general.

BTW, the obvious name: GIJoe: Real American Heroes.Think it'd play in non-American markets anymore? Maybe it should just be GI Joe: Real Heroes, that way it also differentiates itself from the GI Joe:ARAH lines.

decadentdave
07-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Irrevocable? Hardly. It's a popular aspect of geek culture and pop culture but time swallows nearly all of those. Also, some linguists feel that it's already become overused to the point of diluting its initial meaning, and just hackneyed in general.

JT, why do you always have to be such an arrogant ***?

Beast
07-16-2007, 12:23 AM
How is he being an arrogant ***? He has a perfectly valid point.

The term has been so overused, twisted, and mangled... even it has "Jumped the Shark".

And honestly, the term doesn't even really apply to something like this.

decadentdave
07-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Well then hell, let's just take all familiar culturalisms and relegate them all into the refuse of obsolescence.

JediTricks
07-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Because I wouldn't want you to feel like you're the only one. ;)

mabudonicus
07-16-2007, 09:21 AM
this'll probably get deleted but AWWWW BURRRRRRRN!!!!
:D
:beard: Iso & Baws
In real life, only Fonzie jumps sharks- and that dutch dude, but he jumps right on 'em

CaptainSolo1138
07-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Quote of the Day, for sure.

JON9000
07-16-2007, 09:51 AM
You know what's "jumped the shark?"

Portmanteaux of celebrity couple names. Really, it wasn't very clever to begin with, and now it is just plain obnoxious.

Star Wars collecting has never been stronger.

Dark Marble
07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't know if Star Wars product is weaker, but I know that my attitudes as a collector have changed. I don't have the same enthusiasm for the line that I once did and many of the "new" vehicles (repaints) I have got over the last year have been because of trading of my older out of date duplicate vehicles. Having an army of troops isn't as important to me anymore as having one of each unique troop. I collect now more for diversity and not so much for bulk.

I know that a lot of the new product I am looking at now are things I would never have considered even 5 years ago. In short the line is changing and we are getting older. I know for me that collecting at 22 is a lot different from collecting at 32...

JediTricks
07-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Portmanteaux of celebrity couple names. Really, it wasn't very clever to begin with, and now it is just plain obnoxious.Aww, but then we wouldn't have Filliam H. Muffman.

I must admit, with prices going up and space for these little plastic room-fillers going down, I have slowed my quantity-building by a large margin. I was shocked to see how many extra figures I bought during sales in the late '90s and early '00s, sometimes really stupid stuff like 4 extra Pietts or a bunch of salt-shaker Royal Guards (they were $2 a piece at TRU so it mitigates it, but what the hell am I going to do with them?), so now I buy like 2 or 3 of an army builder and 1 of most figures I like.

Beast
07-16-2007, 11:04 PM

Portmanteaux of celebrity couple names. Really, it wasn't very clever to begin with, and now it is just plain obnoxious.

Star Wars collecting has never been stronger.
Agreed. It's even annoying as hell from comic fans.

If I hear "Romy" (Rogue/Remy) or "Kiotr" (Kitty/Piotr) one more time, I'm going postal. :eek:

2-1B
07-17-2007, 06:20 PM
So much for my dreams of becoming one half of Ceastar. :cry:

:confused: Nah dude, JT isn't that guy:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/member.php?u=704
he doesn't create alternate personalities...unlike some of the rest of us. lol

jjreason
07-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Damn, another one for the "What are they doing now?" shows.

Phantom-like Menace
07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
I think using the term "Jump the Shark" has officially done just that if it's become so damned ubiquitous that we're now using it on action figures.

El Chuxter
07-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Batman collecting has repelled the shark.

Transformers collecting has jumped the Sharkticon.

GIJoe collecting has jumped the S.H.A.R.C.

I can go on all day....

mabudonicus
07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Has Thundercats jumped the Snarf then, Chux??
:beard: Iso & Baws

That was prety damn bad

CaptainSolo1138
07-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Has Thundercats jumped the Snarf then, Chux??
No more than Dreamworks has jumped the Shrek.

pbarnard
07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Batman collecting has repelled the shark.

Transformers collecting has jumped the Sharkticon.

GIJoe collecting has jumped the S.H.A.R.C.

I can go on all day....

I thought the S.H.A.R.C. jumped G.I. Joe, specifically Gen. Joe Colton.

JediTricks
07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
The SHARC is one of my favorite GI Joe vehicles - it's a flying sub for corn's sake! You can't jump a flying sub.

bigbarada
07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Serpentor was when GI Joe jumped the shark. Or would that be the snake?:p

AmanaMatt
07-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Anyone know what show the term 'jump the shark' started with? (answer at the bottom)

As for this line, it sure has not reached the point of no return.....if anything, Hasbro is actually offering figs most fans' want.....by most fans, I do not mean me, but people seem to be into the EU things right now. Personally, I want SA and 'Vintage' quality figs of all the original characters.

A: Happy Days

Kidhuman
07-18-2007, 11:07 PM
The real question here is have the Smurfs smurfed the smurf

bigbarada
07-18-2007, 11:58 PM

:eek: Watch your mouth! And what Papa Smurf chooses to do in the privacy of his own home is none of your business.:whip:

:p

AmanaMatt
07-19-2007, 12:26 AM

Sick, dude. Just sick!

JEDIpartner
07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Has Star Wars collecting "Jumped the Shark?"

In all honesty, it had the minute that Kenner started pumping out intentional variants on the figures (all those various Boba Fetts with different things on his hands) and when people started to horde figures on cards despite the fact that they are never going to go up in value.

2-1B
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
The SHARC is one of my favorite GI Joe vehicles - it's a flying sub for corn's sake! You can't jump a flying sub.

that corn jumped the shuck a long time ago...

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-19-2007, 06:30 PM
that corn jumped the shuck a long time ago...

Corn jumped the cob?

The new stuff is pretty sweet looking, yet, I have little to no interest. The only thing I have bought from the new Saga line in the McC figures And I think thats all I will be getting. I have sent most of my modern stuff to eBay to fund the vintage causes. I felt it was all over the day I saw the Choppers line on the shelf........

figrin bran
07-20-2007, 12:22 AM
I felt it was all over the day I saw the Choppers line on the shelf........

You can open up your eyes now - the choppers are but a distant memory! :p

although Gentle Giant seems to have taken up that chopper concept as well.

decadentdave
07-20-2007, 04:39 AM
I guess Jaws has jumped himself.

mabudonicus
07-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Hmmmm... now I'm gonna have to find that episode of Happy Days- was Fonzie riding a boba fett custom chopper in it or what??

All this talk makes me afraid that, even now in the early production, the upcoming Iron Man movie might have already jumped the Stark
:beard:
Iso & Baws
The Custom Choppers should have been a sign to more people

dindae
07-20-2007, 05:06 PM
While I do believe collecting has passed it's peek I don't believe it is at death's door. Without the movies collecting is left to us collectors and while the TV show will pick up fans it won't be nearly the frenzy that the movies conjured up. I must say that my interest has waned a bit lately. I have yet to change my buying habits, but I am debating it. I don't see any glaring wholes in my collection except those left by the multitudes of unmade Padmes. Sure there are figures that I want like Yarna, the imperial officer played by Jeremy Bullock, etc. Now I think Hasbro is doing a good job of surprising me with new figures that I think are worth picking up, but I would imagine that will only last so long.

Old Fossil
08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
"Collecting" and "collectors" may be old fossils :pleased:...

BUT I still see parents buying SW figures for their kids from time to time. Actually I never see other collectors like myself on the SW figure aisle (though I know they're out there), just kids and their parents.

I think modern carded collecting has become passe, obsolete, irrelevant, etc., with the exceptions of the McQuarries and this year's Vintage line. The limited numbers of those two lines, I believe, reflects the shrinking number of carded collectors. The reasons may be lack of space, lack of money, lack of any real future return on the investment, or (as in my own case) a combination of all three.

Army building seems to still be strong, but even our resident uber-army builder Sal has said in a couple of posts that this is his last big year for that activity. I myself have been limiting my troop numbers to no more than five, with a couple of cases where I ended up with six or seven because of a lack of self-control (the AT-AT Driver and VTAC Snowtrooper).

I am beginning to think that the future of the line is in Saga Legends, with perhaps a new figure sculpt thrown in from time to time. The money to be made for Hasbro is in using existing molds to make figures that sell... which means more Vaders, Yodas, Chewies, R2's, Mauls, Kenobis, Lukes, Fetts, and Solos for the kiddies.

Darth Cruel
10-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I once sided with the "collecting is not dying" side. Now I am on the other side. I understand that our local collctible vendor swap meet (read: Frank and Son) is reeling from lack of collector participation. And if that is happening there...it is an ill omen for the hobbie.

I will buy every figure Hasbro makes, but to be completely honest with everyone...if Hasbro stopped making them today, I might not even miss them. I am tired of the repacks (except the ones everyone wanted repacked in the Saga Legends line), stupid pack-ins like coins, "holographic" figures, and stands, and the continued lack of decent articulation in the figures. And I am mostly tired of Hasbro licking the feet of the Collector's worst enemy...Target.

As long as Sideshow and Medicom continue to grace us with the figures they do...collecting will never completely die, though

jonthejedi
10-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Right there with you on the 1/6 scale. Medicom's Real Action Hero line is worth every hard-earned American dollar I give them.

Blue2th
10-06-2007, 06:25 PM
No, but...Mother Superior jumped the gun.

jedi master sal
10-06-2007, 10:28 PM
As long as Sideshow and Medicom continue to grace us with the figures they do...collecting will never completely die, though

If just SSC and Medicom were it and Hasbro stopped, I'd be done with collecting. GG has really soured me from teh Clone Commanders. I'm still getting their mini-busts, but if that line stopped I'd actually be happy.

so if Hasbro gets "out of the game," then so will I. AND, I won't worry about it too much. There really isn't too many figs I'd want made. Most of which are background characters and I wouldn't miss them. Just some definitive versions of certain main characters like SA Qui-gon and SA AOTC Obi. Otherwise, really, I'm just picking up one of each fig, with a scant few to get extra and the RARE army builder that I get in any decent numbers.

To be quite honest, I look forward to the day Hasbro stops, then I'll move to my next phase of SW fandom, and that's large diorama building. Now that I have the ok from LFL to use images (under certain restrictions of course), other than space to build, there really isn't much holding me back from making that a reality.

I really think 2008 is going to be a make or break year for Hasbro's SW line. If it does well the line will continue, if it doesn't do well, they may give it one more year, then I think they'll have no choice but to tank it if profits just aren't there.

Delays in both shows and the Forced Unleashed video game haven't helped at all either. had we got the game at least by now, then the animated show EARLY in 2008 instead of the reported fall 2008, the line would have had two good boosts. Waiting til mid to late 2008 for both is really going to hurt sales. And the rumor that the live-action show not coming until 2009 at least is hurting too. Not just Hasbro, but regular fan interest.

We want it and we want it now. Fair? No but it's the nature of the world now, with the immediacy of the internet. Shows/news and the like that are slow to the take will just be passed on by.

Hurry up Lucas! or you'll lose your fans to the likes of Galactica, Firefly, Heroes, and other media with growing fanbases.

-Sal

El Chuxter
10-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Sad thing is, I don't think it's just SW collecting that's going downhill. It's toy collecting in general. Most people I know have less interest overall than a few years ago, and there seems to be less good stuff coming out. It wasn't even speculators who did it, like with comics or baseball cards. It seems to be the distribution and a sudden decline in quality (both figure choices and execution) within the past year or two.

jedi master sal
10-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Sad thing is, I don't think it's just SW collecting that's going downhill. It's toy collecting in general.

I can agree with this statement from my experience in the action figure aisles. There just isn't that many people shopping in these aisles as there used to be. The overwhelming majority of the time I'm in the action figure section, there is noone else there.

Transformers is doing okay, but not stellar.

Marvel Legends is definitely on the decline. That in part due to Hasbro taking over the line and jumping up the price, plus the molds and paint jobs just aren't that good. Choice of waves and build-a-figures haven't been great either. Annihilus who?

GIJoe would do better, but there isn't product on the shelves for people to buy (I'm talking the new stuff). Maybe that's just that people are scarfing it up as soon as it hits shelves. dunno.

I almost never see people buying wrestling figures. I think it's been once in the last year that I've seen anyone buy one in all the times I've been to stores.

Ninja Turtles? Huh, they need to just end this line. It was good back in the heyday, but it's long since been dead.

And what's with certain stores keeping defunct lines on their shelves? Movie Superman? Come on TOYS R US! Get your head out of your butts on this one. Those figs will never sell. Clearance the hell out of them and make room for stuff that will sell.

There is also too many crossover lines and it takes a toll on we collectors, kids and parents alike. A good example is the Galactic Heroes line. Look what that spawned. Now there are the Marvel heroes, Spidey Heroes, Robot Heroes (Transformers). Man that sucks the money right out of you if you're into those figs (and I am unfortunately).

Marvel is the worst I think. Not only is there a Legends line, but a Spidey line, ans Fantastic Four line. Soon we'll get Movie Iron Man figs, then Captain America, then Hulk. Gawd enough is enough.

Video games hae taken over a lot. Though that trend has taken a small hit, what with the high price tags of the nextgen systems. Almost better to buy a PC just for the games instead.

Star wars has just gotten bad at repaints/repacks. This is a DIRECT cause of Darryl DePriest coming over from GIJoe. He's not a SW guy, he's a marketing guy. He beleives more repaints of popular characters will sell. And while that holds true to a point, it's gotten tired very quickly within the SW line. Even army builders such as myself are tired of the non-movie, flavor of the month clones. I (and I imagine most of us) want movie figs first, then established (read: NOT made up by Habsro) EU and video game characters second.

I still haven't bought the Mandolorian set and I'm really thinking I won't now. The paint jobs on the Mandos look neat, but they don't fit in with the rest of my collection. I really don't like the clones in the set, save for Omega Squad. While I dig the female Mandos again there really isn't a place for them in the ol' collection. If the set clearances to half or lower, then I'll bite, since that will make it worth the 6 figs from the set I do have a small interest in.

Heck I still haven't even order the Battlefront sets either. Too many figs we already have and I STILL despise the thin legged, inarticulated knee battle droids. I really don't care that the think legged battle droids aren't as movie accurate. At least with them you COULD pose them better AND they can stand without help.

It's no wonder that I've gone mostly online for my buying. For example, while I know wave 6 figs are shipping to retail, I'm not in a rush or sweating it as I've got a case on order and will receive it in about 10 days as of this writing. It used to be I HAD to go to stores and find stuff. I'm not army building so much any more, so there really isn't a need for me to travel, burn gas, get frustrated at not finding the figs I want, and waste time I could be spending otherwise. I buy a case of figs, usually trade of the extras and I save lost os hassle in various forms (as described above).

Hasbro is losing money quick on me. I am collecting movie Transformers, but there's only so much to that pool that can be dipped into and that line will soon dry up for me. Other than that I'm just about done collecting anything else.

I think another BIG reason we are seeing a decline in toy lines is that we as collectors just don't have the room for all this crap. I'll never be able to show all of my SW collection (unless I hit the lottery and we know those odds...). So why bother buying so much more? I've had fun collecting and more so since I have websites like this to share in the experience. However, it's coming to a point with a lot of us that it's just time to quit or drastically reduce what and how much we collect.

More and more I'm seeing threads posted on various sites about "quitting collecting," "bequething your collection," etc.

We SW collectors are demanding certain characters and now, not years from now. I know that doesn't seem fair to do so to the manufacturer, but it's the reality of it. This line isn't going to flourish if we keep getting the repaints. And collectors aren't going to "stay in the game" for years to come. Oh we might buy that rare figure each year that we've wanted that should have come out years earlier, but that's not goign to sustain the line either.
Hasbro did good this year with giving us many background characters, but they need to keep that up if they want this line to continue.

As much as I've loved army building, the SW Legends line needs to end. This line SHOULD have been CHEAPER than the regular line. At the least a dollar cheaper per figure. The molds were made, there was NO R&D into the figures at this point. And it DOESN'T cost that much for designing the cardback. Trust me on that one, I'm a graphic designer, I know. In fact the Legends line's cardbacks should have had generic fronts to save on printing and THAT would have helped to drive the cost down. Each new figure means there has to be four new printing "plates" made to print the card. That gets expensive quick. Even if they ganged up multiple cards on the "plates" it's still not anywhere near as cheap as having generic (same) fronts. Doing so, would mean only needing four plates total for the front and they could have those printed ahead of time as "shells" to have character specific card "backs" to be printed on the later. I also think that the Legneds line SHOULD have been on a completely DIFFERENT styled cardback. Vastly different from the 30AC cards. Then there wouldn't be the confusion among stockers at retail as to what line is what. Plus this would help with running sales. Also since I mentioned the Legends line should have been cheaper, it would have been easier to keep track of that too.

In that aspect Hasbro really did drop the ball. It's not isolated by area as hasbro claims, it's a nationwide or probably even a worldwide problem. They're continuing to denouce it and address the probelm is only going to hurt THEM and sales in the process.

Tycho
10-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Star Wars:

I'm holding out for...

Young Beru Whitesun
Young Owen Lars
Cliegg Lars
Tey How
Bom Vimdim
Queen Jamilla
Daultry Dofine
Jocasta Nu
Saurin
Tonnika Sisters
Keeolkeech
Reegesk
R2D2 Shield Bunker
Padme Senator
Queen Purple Dress
Queen Pre-Senate
Queen Post-Senate
Padme Nightgown (AOTC)
Padme Yellow Dress from the Waterfalls
Padme "buns" from Anakin's return to Coruscant
Padme Senator (ROTS)
Bail Organa Order 66
Bail Organa Senator (ROTS)
Utai
Luke from the Medical Frigate
Leia from the Medical Frigate
Sgt. Doallyn
Woof (vintage Klaatu)
Slim Aloo
Treva Horme
Wiorkettle
Black Bespin Security Guard
Mama Ewok w. Baby
large Separatist "mouse" from Geonosis scene
AOTC Anakin Evolutions to be single-carded
AOTC Obi-Wan to be done with Red Leader (ROTS) pilot body

Anyway, that's not all of them, but that's a good chunk of them.

In the SideShow Star Wars category, I have a list of about 100 I'd like to see done - from which I was happy to recently remove Palpatine in red from the list, upon registering my order. Others include characters such as a 12" Woof, Weequay, Mara Jade, and so forth.

From Transformers

I want:

Leader Class Blackout
Leader Class Bonecrusher

From Transformers 2 I want:

Redesigned Starscream in Leader Class
maybe a Leader Class Powerglide as a Warthog plane?

Then we'll see what new characters Michael Bay adds to the movie franchise.

I'd also like the return of Alternators with Ironhide, and Ratchet, possibly movie Barricade as an Alt.

From Star Trek I want:

WOK Jaoquim
WOK David Marcus
WOK Carol Marcus
Away Team McCoy
Away Team Saavik

DS9 Kira
DS9 O'Brien
DS9 Quark
DS9 Dukat
DS9 Bashir
DS9 Garack
DS9 Weyoun
DS9 Jem Hadar x 9 or more
DS9 General Martok
DS9 Klingon Warrior

TNG Nemesis Romulan

Ent Dr. Phlox
Ent. Hoshi Sato
Ent. Reptillian Xindi x 3
Ent. Insectoid Xindi

And many more I could go on about, but the above would complete some sets I've already begun collecting.

I am NOT done buying toys, but I know what I want, and that is what I will purchase. This approach works well for me.

Sinscia Fat'o
10-11-2007, 04:46 PM
One of the things that bothers me isn't the lack of toys any more, since Star Wars toys are back on the shelves again, which after a long summer without them, it's been a good find and helped fuel that collecting fire. Though what gets me is the fact that Hasbro belittles collectors with lack of characters that WE want. Not all of us agree on what hasbro needs to be made, but we all do agree with everything we've seen over the last few years (TAC excluded since it's a step in the right direction) that hasbro has taken the under handed road in getting product out on the shelves, which means repacks, lack of core characters that we actually need, needless army builders (Even though i'm a fan of the clones, not everyone is so that isn't my whole hearted opinion, but the majority), EU characters that fans want such as Legacy of the force novel characters, Tales of the Jedi, Heir to the Empire ETC.

I actually got very upset at hasbro when they said there would be no Exar Kun, or Ulic Qul Droma in 08, because the comic packs would have made perfect sense, and with them having lightsabers and a distint/cool look, even kids would have liked to have them, but we get Nilhous? and the rumored Scion from KOTOR? Though i do think 08 is going to be a make it or break it year for Hasbro, and with lucas taking his sweet time, over estimating his fan base...the future does indeed look bleak.

Kidhuman
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
I think TAC is a good line. It has given us the following:

- McQuarrie Figures - Who doesnt love them and dont collect them?
- 2 Cantina Aliens and the curved pieces - sure the curved pieces werent properly scaled, but without a dispenser, it completes the set and gies us two more aliens for the Cantina
- Hermie Odle - How long have we been asking for him? Umpass Stay also
- EU Figures -sure not all of us want them, but they gave us some nice Clone Wars figures to go along with the Video Game characters
- Animated Fett - Great addition of a figure from the SW Special. Too bad they wont make more
- Background characters - Rebel Honor Guard, Biggs Deleted Scene, Death Star Trooper
- Army builders - Stormtrooper, Airborne Trooper, Galactic Marine, Jawa. Sure some might be warming, but they got them too us

The Legends line gave us a way of getting some more army builders that are good and some not so good.Along with core pegwarmers also.

the good:

Biker Scout
Battle Droid 2 packs
Imperial officers
AOTC Clones
RA-7
TC-14
R4-19
Darktrooper

Bad:
ROTS Clones
Shocktrooper
Vader
3PO battle Droid Head
Sandtrooper
R2
Chewie

Its a good mix and I like TAC line alot.

The Comic 2 packs are great also.

Tycho
10-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Kidhuman, they also gave us pretty cool accessories like

- the moisture vaporator
- the Bespin torture rack
- poseable Salacious Crumb
- Obi-Wan's cloak as a stand from the Death Star Duel

Funny, how most of these extras made me buy main character figures I already had before (except for Phil Collins - I will not buy him, period!)

TheRealDubya
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know man, I love the TAC. I have nothing but love for Team Hasbro. I can't think of another instance where a toy company has gone so out of its way to include the fans and FLOOD the market with options for both collectors and kids alike. It's nuts how much they have done for us. Under Depriest, Star Wars has had its best years yet. He's in a position I don't envy having -- all of us hardcore dudes (and occasional dudettes) clamoring for obscure bits like ICMG and Yarna, a board of directors demanding returns, keeping a brand relevant in a non-media supported year...big shoes. And he and his squad have filled them ably.

Repaints are for kids and newcomers, and everywhere I go I see kids going nuts for Star Wars. Wave 7.5 mostly sucks (except for that awesome clone with the poncho), granted, but there has been at least one CLASSIC figure (if not more) in every single wave this year. I fully agree with Kidhuman -- the McQuarrie line, the Animated Boba, Hermie...it's just awesome stuff.

I don't collect Transformers, but I love the GI Joe 25th line and and will definitely be getting in on the Indy action. Now that Mattel's DC license has expanded beyond Supes and Bats, I may delve into those too (I look at them as an upgraded Super Powers.) DC Direct continues to pump out amazing product. I think we will look back on the cream of this era as a golden age.

AmanaMatt
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Ok, you cannot judge the popularity of the line based on what happens at foul stenched shows, like Frank & Sons, and here's why:

They charge $15 (average) for popular figs
The dealers are A-holes
Too much traffic to get to during the week
Collector resentment - part of the reasons it is so hard to find figs in Ca is due to bums that buy the figs up then sell him at the show.

Argh, how I do not miss that show!

Lobito
10-16-2007, 10:54 PM
"Jumped the shark"... funny term... anyway... Joe Torre jumped the shark!!!

As far as SW collecting... hmm, the product is there in all different lines, Basic (TAC), Unleashed, Galactic Heroes, Transformers, etc.

As for the Basic line (which is the one that i follow), there are many figures that i never thought hasbro would make. Still there are a bunch of figures i would like to see made (most of them are in the list Tycho posted) and i would like to see them before any remakes of old characters, we are getting to a point that "organic Han Solo" will be made...

They should focus first with the figures they havent made yet, and then, the remakes. I understand, that in every wave or every two waves, they have to include a "big" character, ok, they can make "medical frigate luke", or "medical frigate leia" or expanded universe versions of those characters, the thing is they need to be new...

I really hope that they finish this basic line in 2 years (hopefully Yarna will be made in that period of time) so that we can finally close the circle we started a looong time ago in a galaxy not so far away...

NUFF SAID... (Sorry Stan, i liked your line!):thumbsup:

plasticfetish
10-17-2007, 01:41 AM
This thread may have "jumped the shark" when people started arguing about how relevant the term "jumped the shark" is. (Or maybe it was when Tycho tossed up one of his long lists in-between viewings of "Transformers.")

...and seriously JT... "linguists?" :p

Not a bad topic. I was going to hold off on adding anything, because for the most part I think JT made the best point when he said that being a completist is what’s seen its peak. The whole “jumped the shark” idea has to do with a concept topping-out, and never being able to generate the same amount of enthusiasm or excitement that it may have at that one special point in time. As far as I’m concerned, this era of Star Wars collecting has seen a few peaks, with the ROTS line being what we’d probably have to admit is the last and greatest. That’s not to say that the ROTS line was the best, or that those toys were the ultimate in quality, but it was the last big marketing blitz for a Star Wars line that we’re apt to see for a long while.

Doesn’t mean that Star Wars can’t have its “Laverne and Shirley” though, (but hopefully not a “Joanie Loves Chachi.”) I’m sure that if future Spinoffs of the film series turn out to be popular, we’ll see new highs and lows for collecting as the various licensees try to wow us with their products. Some of you have already made up your minds about the “EU”, claiming that you’re not interested. Others are willing to wait and see what comes next before deciding. Even more of us have come to terms with the fact that the Star Wars “universe” has always been “extended”, and that each individual offering should be judged as much on the basis of how well it fits into that established universe, as it should based on how well it stands alone.

I’m happy to be on the downside of this last run. I’m glad to be able to ease up a little, save some money, and focus on other things. But I’m also looking forward to that next big thing... to the next time that Lucas, Hasbro, or whoever... try to jump the shark.

El Chuxter
10-17-2007, 02:04 AM
"Happy Days had a baby, and they named it Joanie Loves Chachi."
--Brak