PDA

View Full Version : Anybody getting nostalgic for POTF2?

bigbarada
07-14-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm starting to notice that I'm feeling the same level of nostalgia for the POTF2 line that I felt for the vintage line about 12 years ago.

As a kid, I had no job or way of making my own money, so the vintage SW figures were few and far between. When POTF2 premiered, I was in the Army stationed in Texas, so I had a lot of disposable income and could buy whatever I wanted. So, in reality, 1995 marks my first true year as a Star Wars collector, not just a kid who buys toys.

The very first thing that I remember seeing in the store was the AT-ST. I ended up buying two of them before I found a single figure.

With all the faults of the early waves, it was still exciting to see Star Wars figures on the shelves again after almost a decade. Back in those days, we weren't tired of Darth Vader figures or annoyed with ANH Lukes and Hans (okay maybe a little annoyed with the overly buff bodies), because everything was still new and fresh. It was also before the Special Editions and Prequels, so everyone still thought that Lucas was a genius. :D

I remember the excitement I felt when I saw an A-Wing on the store shelves for the very first time. It was a toy that I had always wanted as a kid, but never found the vintage one for obvious reasons. So, that summer day in 1997 will always be a great memory for me.

In fact, in many ways, I have more fond memories of collecting the POTF2 line than the vintage line; but again that was probably due to the fact that I could afford what I wanted without having my parents over my shoulder asking if I really needed another Star Wars toy.:whip:

Soooo, anyone else feeling a little bit of POTF2 nostalgia?:love:

2-1B
07-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, they had some cool figures in that line. Some were crap but there were other ones that I loved.

Yak Face, 2-1B, Admiral Ackbar, Garindan, Tarkin, tons of figs I have the nostalgic feeling of picking up.

Also the pricing was sweet, I remember scoring the R5-D4 wave for 3.96 each at Wal-Mart which seemed low priced (most places were in the mid $4 range, some of the higher places were $5).

I remember in 1999 when TPM came along and the prices jacked up to $5.99 at TRU. Downhill ever since. :cry:

plasticfetish
07-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Soooo, anyone else feeling a little bit of POTF2 nostalgia?:love:I know what you're talking about... in a lot of ways that mid-late '90s time was pretty exciting for toy collecting, and not just for Star Wars. In particular though, being able to walk into TRU and see Star Wars on the pegs, and having it be all new was great. I've said it before, but at first I wasn't really into the line, but I still loved looking to see what was coming.

Funny... I just moved, so I've been sorting around and through everything... sort of experiencing that excitement again. There's stuff I've had packed away that I haven't looked at in years.

bigbarada
07-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I think I remember the simple things about the POTF2 line the most: a Stormtrooper who could actually turn his head, an Artoo with the third leg, Vader without the telescoping lightsaber and crappy vinyl cape.

Also, Han Stormtrooper was a really big deal, even though I bought all of the necessary boxes of Froot Loops and sent in the POPs; but never actually received my Han Solo figure.:upset: I had to buy one a year later at a local comic book convention for $15.:upset: :upset:

I kind of wonder if the re-emergence of Star Wars toys helped to kill off the comic book craze of the early 90s. Of course, by 1995, Marvel and DC were still trying to recover from the Image Comics split and Image was still trying to figure out how to ship their comics on time. Plus, with every month producing some sort of silly polybagged, hologram, embossed, die-cut, foil covered issue, I think the comic book publishers didn't really need much help in killing off the comic book craze.:D

JON9000
07-14-2007, 09:57 PM
In my mind, the figures that hold up best from this era are the tie-pilot and the imperial gunner. My nostalgia is based more on the fact that star wars was once again relevant. I do have a soft spot for for figs that were not part of the vintage line up, and some of the early mail-aways!

decadentdave
07-14-2007, 10:37 PM
You're joking right?

JON9000
07-15-2007, 09:58 AM
No, I'm not. The novelty of having figures that had never been done before, along with the occasional mail-away was fun. I was all over the cantina diorama. Yes, compared to 2004 on, those early figures suck pretty bad, but I don't really want a super-articulated tie-pilot or imperial gunner. Those old POTF figures do the job just fine. I also really liked Ree-yees and the death star droid from that era.

I have to admit I am not really a fan of any of the main character figures from that era. Sadly, some of those old figures haven't been updated (Bespin Han and Hoth Leia). There's always the hope of VTSC.

bigbarada
07-15-2007, 11:51 AM
SW nostalgia is not about remembering action figures that were perfect in every way, it's about having fond memories of events that are years and years in the past and identifying those memories with whatever Star Wars figures happened to be available at the time.

So, I don't have fond memories of Star Wars as a kid. I have fond memories of being a kid and I identify Star Wars as a small part of that.

Sometime, though, memories of unrelated events can really hurt our impression of a figure. I waited for over a decade for Kenner to make a Darth Vader figure with the removable helmet (remember Hasbro didn't dissolve the Kenner brand until late 1998); but when I finally found the figure it was only one day before getting my wisdom teeth pulled. So all my earliest memories of the removable helmet Vader figure are a little clouded by the percocet and drinking all of my meals.:cross-eye

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Sometime, though, memories of unrelated events can really hurt our impression of a figure. I waited for over a decade for Kenner to make a Darth Vader figure with the removable helmet (remember Hasbro didn't dissolve the Kenner brand until late 1998); but when I finally found the figure it was only one day before getting my wisdom teeth pulled. So all my earliest memories of the removable helmet Vader figure are a little clouded by the percocet and drinking all of my meals.
Though not from the POTF2 line, the VOTC Vader will forever remind me of getting my wisdom teeth pulled, as it was a present while I was sick. After I got my teeth out, I got some kind of flu thing and I lost ten pounds in a week due to the lack of eating and the upturn in . . . shall we say . . . quickly getting rid of all food.

Good figure, though. :p

As for me, I wasn't a SW fan until 1997 so I of course didn't buy any figures before that. I remember going into several different stores that have since closed, like a KB and a TRU that both had great stuff, and almost always being able to find something new and exciting. My first ever figure was the SOTE Chewbacca that I got from Kmart; don't know why, I just thought it was a cool figure (same with the rocket-firing R5-D4; not so much anymore). I always loved going into the TRU with the ginormous SW display and all the fun stuff to be had. Ah, good times.

jjreason
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Mmmmm... not nostalgic, I don't think. I do root through my POTF2 bins on a weekly basis though - those are the figures I tend to get out for my kids when they're asking for Gammoreans, Jabba's Palace guards, Stormtroopers or what have you to play with in addition to their figures. I don't tend to stress about them too much - say what you will, they were VERY sturdily built for the most part.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-15-2007, 04:04 PM
I didn't start collecting until 1999, but I started working at Wal-Mart in August of 1996. I recall going back to the toy aisle and seeing all of the Star Wars figures. As a kid, I stopped collecting after five ESB figures, so seeing figures on the pegs like the Royal Guard and Nien Nunb was kind of cool. I felt like buying them all, but didn't really feel I should spend the money on it at the time.

I didn't have that much trouble with the wisdom teeth. Just a lot of bleeding. The first one had to be broken before they could take it out because of the angle or something. It took a while. The second one was out in a minute. It was years later before I had the other two out, and they came out quick. They were on top and didn't bleed as bad as the lower ones had.

Kidhuman
07-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I liked alot of the POTF2 figures. I gave us Tarkin, Garandin and many other figs for the first time. I am not a fan of the Buff figures, but alot of them are really cool.

I bought all of them while I lived in NYC, so they hold memories for me. I worked next to a TRU in a discount retail store that sold them as well. I would walk across the ahll to TRU after checking our shleves for the newly stocked figures.

JediTricks
07-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I am not nostalgic for the toys, no. But I am nostalgic for the era of collecting, spending an hour waiting for TRU's truck to come in and they'd bring the case right out to the small group of collectors. I miss hanging out with friends going to the original Frank & Sons. I miss being able to go into a store and be treated like a valued customer, even having a good time hanging out with the employees and helping them do their jobs. I miss going down the aisle and being surprised by seeing a new wave, having it available when I wanted it instead of making me hunt. I miss wandering around TRU waiting for SW stuff to get put out and finding all sorts of cool toys that I didn't know existed and buying 'em. I miss the general calm and camaraderie of collectors I didn't know being instant friends just by standing around the SW pegs. I miss Hasbro actually posting regular updates on the website about new product development. I MISS ACTION FLEET!!! '96 through mid-'98 were good times, I knew it then and I still feel it 10 years later.

bigbarada
07-19-2007, 12:43 AM
I remember when stores would actually cater to Star Wars collectors and have "case opening parties" in the middle of the aisles. However, I think a few greedy and impatient collectors ruined that for everyone else.

figrin bran
07-19-2007, 01:51 AM
I don't miss the toys either but i miss being able to walk into stores even during late afternoons and being able to find whatever i wanted with relative ease. I had fewer local stores and hence fewer options back then and yet it was far easier to collect than it is nowadays.

Even when '99 came around, there was still quite a bit of that cameraderie among collectors that JT was talking about but at the same time, I started seeing more and more scalpers as well as people trying to get as many darth mauls just to make a quick buck on their online auctions.

Things just haven't been the same since...

Kithaba
07-19-2007, 08:06 PM
The POTF2 collection means quite a lot to me as I collected most of the figs during a year's stay in Japan, and then the rest when I was on holiday in the States for a few weeks. Looking at them reminds me of trips to Tokyo looking round some really cool collectibles shops there, and colourful magazines to be read back-to-front with pics of toys surrounded by Japanese characters. Some of those shops had some AMAZING stuff in - loads and loads of really cool-looking manga-style action figures with incredibly detailed sculpts. At the time there was a renewed interest in the vintage SW figures, and there were a few market stalls in various places in Tokyo selling them in clear plastic bags with prices marked in yen, of course.

MrMet
08-11-2007, 05:59 PM
I think I remember the simple things about the POTF2 line the most: a Stormtrooper who could actually turn his head, an Artoo with the third leg, Vader without the telescoping lightsaber and crappy vinyl cape.

Also, Han Stormtrooper was a really big deal, even though I bought all of the necessary boxes of Froot Loops and sent in the POPs; but never actually received my Han Solo figure.:upset: I had to buy one a year later at a local comic book convention for $15.:upset: :upset:

I kind of wonder if the re-emergence of Star Wars toys helped to kill off the comic book craze of the early 90s. Of course, by 1995, Marvel and DC were still trying to recover from the Image Comics split and Image was still trying to figure out how to ship their comics on time. Plus, with every month producing some sort of silly polybagged, hologram, embossed, die-cut, foil covered issue, I think the comic book publishers didn't really need much help in killing off the comic book craze.:D

I never got my Han either!!

TheRealDubya
08-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I don't miss the aesthetics of the figures, but man was it fun to go Star Wars hunting again in '95. I think my favorite day was when I was reading like the first Star Wars collecting website or newsletter (maybe Adam Pawlus'?) and heard about the TRU Classic Edition 4-Pack, which was Han, Luke, Chewie and Vader recast from the original Kenner molds. Back then things would come out of nowhere and that thing was a surprise. I remember reading about it at like ten at night and wanted to go get it NOW (plus they had no instant pictures online back then...just some kid's description.) I could hardly sleep. First thing in the morning my brother and I rallied, drove 30 minutes north and found them. Seeing those Kenner figures sitting on the shelf again...it popped my cork. That was a great day.

I also remember fidning the first Boba Fett and Yoda on a rainy Saturday (both of which still aren't terrible figs at all.) Seeing figures like Garindan, Rebel Fleet Trooper, Sandtrooper and Tarkin get made was incredible as well.

And the Han Solo Stormtrooper mail away was just the ultimate for me back then. I cringe to think how many Froot Loops I ate that year.

TheRealDubya
08-13-2007, 12:05 PM

What killed it for me was the dull stories and focus on Liefield type art -- just ridiculously overstyled. I kept one toe in the comic water just to read Dark Horse's Star Wars output (Dark Empire is still one of my favorite written and illustrated books of all time), but it would take eight years and Mike Mignola & Warren Ellis to get me reading again on a semi-regular basis again.

bigbarada
08-15-2007, 12:27 AM
What killed it for me was the dull stories and focus on Liefield type art -- just ridiculously overstyled. I kept one toe in the comic water just to read Dark Horse's Star Wars output (Dark Empire is still one of my favorite written and illustrated books of all time), but it would take eight years and Mike Mignola & Warren Ellis to get me reading again on a semi-regular basis again.

By 1995, I thought Gen13 was going to singlehandedly revive the comic book genre. So much so that I bought all 13 of the variant covers to issue #1 of the regular series at a local comic book show. Most idiotic purchase I've ever made in my life and I knew it the moment I walked out of the convention room. I think that's what singlehandedly killed the whole thing for me. Several months later, I sold them off to the local comic book shop for a fraction of what I paid for them and it was years before I bought another comic book (a Star Wars Tales issue in 2000, while I was stationed in Korea).

Old Fossil
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I miss the relative abundance of green card hologram figures. I remember my nearest Wal-Mart had a bin full of 'em in the aisle near the toy section. I built up quite a large squadron of TIE Pilots then.

That being said, I don't miss seeing the ubiquitous Rancor Keeper and Yak Face warming pegs nearly everywhere.