PDA

View Full Version : You know what album doesn't hold up anymore...?

JediTricks
07-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Thread's about albums that were good when they came out but no longer hold up to scrutiny years later.

I'll start:

Dr. Feelgood (Motley Crue) - overproduced, underwritten, too many slow songs and ballads. I get tired of hearing Sunset Blvd bands sing about girls: we get it, you're getting a lot of chicks, big whoop. And it sounds so thin, even the titular track - the only one close to solid on the whole thing - wears out in a couple listens. And it's tragic because it really starts hard and strong, but between just sounding too polished and Vince Neil's sound being stereotypical for hair metal, it loses its luster too fast.

stillakid
07-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Zeppelin IV....enough already.

El Chuxter
07-17-2007, 01:22 AM
stillakid, I mean this in the nicest possible way: You are NUTS! :crazed:

The tracks from Zeppelin IV may be overplayed, but the album is still one of the strongest albums as a whole from just about any perspective you look at it.

Dr Feelgood: I honestly think, weird as it may seem, I've never heard the whole album. "Metal" or not, Motley Crue always struck me as a singles band, first and foremost.

I'd add anything by Marilyn Manson or Eminem to the list. I'm so glad their fifteen minutes are up.

I also don't think any of the pre-Badmotorfinger Soundgarden holds up especially well (the albums and EPs from when they were sort of a joke band, before they realized they were actually good and took themselves seriously). Louder Than Love is actually rather painful to listen to now.

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Bloodhound Gang: "Hefty Fine" (2005)

I hadn't anticipated an album as much as this one ever. When I first got it and for the following six months or so, I loved every track on it. After a year or so, it was only about 3/4 of the album. Now, I can only make myself listen to a handful of songs from it. It's a sad state of affairs.

Rocketboy
07-17-2007, 09:47 AM

I hadn't anticipated an album as much as this one ever. When I first got it and for the following six months or so, I loved every track on it. After a year or so, it was only about 3/4 of the album. Now, I can only make myself listen to a handful of songs from it. It's a sad state of affairs.And I was disappointed in that one from the start. There were only 2-3 decent tracks on there, IMO.

El Chuxter
07-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Bloodhound Gang?

You may as well say that Justin Guarini's or Clay Aiken's album doesn't hold up.

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Bloodhound Gang?

You may as well say that Justin Guarini's or Clay Aiken's album doesn't hold up.
You're sick in the head. "One Fierce Beer Coaster" and "Hooray for Boobies" are still in my "Top 10".

darko666
07-20-2007, 03:43 PM

about the only song from that album i still enjoy is "Something Diabolical".

CaptainSolo1138
07-21-2007, 10:42 AM
about the only song from that album i still enjoy is "Something Diabolical".For reals?! I never really liked that song.

Me and RB decided that the problem with that record is that there is no thread of consistency at all in it. Each of there previous albums had a distinctive "feel" to them, but this seemd to just be a big commercial for Jimmy Pop's production company, a sort of, "Hey! Lookit what we can do!".

Rocketboy
07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Strangely enough, I also didn't like "Something Diabolical."

The only 3 songs I still like are Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo, Ralph Wiggum, and Pennsylvania. The rest are crap.

jjreason
07-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Sadly, Liz Phair's much acclaimed "Exile in Guyville" seems like "Exercise in Boringville" to me.

mabudonicus
07-22-2007, 10:24 AM
How's about AC/DC "Hard as a Rock"??
I was pretty damn excited, even went to a release party of sorts for it, and sort of thought it was a pretty fine effort, but it's kinda REALLY crappy.

There should be a companion to this thread- albums that somehow "grew on ya". I recall HATING "dude looks like a lady", thinking it was too "new age" or something, and I also remember thinking that GnR "Appetite" was somehow "too dark" or something- I only really liked "Swwet child o mine" and (I know, I know) "Paradies city"- but only the first part with the harmonies- a few years later (and many listens) and I can't even figure out what the HELL I was thinking back then, the album is pretty much totally solid but for "rocket queen" and is one of the most kick-arse debut albums EVER (in the same category as "Pronounced Lehnurd Skin-nerd")
:beard: Iso & Baws
Slick's in Australia right now

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Dr Feelgood: I honestly think, weird as it may seem, I've never heard the whole album. "Metal" or not, Motley Crue always struck me as a singles band, first and foremost.Good point, that's very fair. Singles bands generally mean they're incredibly shallow or too controlled by an overbearing producer or manager (and I don't think it'll take much to guess which one da Crue is :p).

I'd add anything by Marilyn Manson or Eminem to the list. I'm so glad their fifteen minutes are up.

I also don't think any of the pre-Badmotorfinger Soundgarden holds up especially well (the albums and EPs from when they were sort of a joke band, before they realized they were actually good and took themselves seriously). Louder Than Love is actually rather painful to listen to now.Marilyn Manson definitely feels played out, but in the same vein as your Soundgarden comment, early Marilyn Manson feels incredibly flat and just like musical flailing.

How's about AC/DC "Hard as a Rock"??
I was pretty damn excited, even went to a release party of sorts for it, and sort of thought it was a pretty fine effort, but it's kinda REALLY crappy.I was about to say "most of AC/DC from Razor's Edge on" so yours fits perfectly. I like some of the tracks on Razor's Edge, but everything on that album sounds too out of ideas and overproduced, and that became the signature for their future. The album does have a few good singles, so maybe this is just when AC/DC became a singles band.

There should be a companion to this thread- albums that somehow "grew on ya". I recall HATING "dude looks like a lady", thinking it was too "new age" or something, and I also remember thinking that GnR "Appetite" was somehow "too dark" or something- I only really liked "Swwet child o mine" and (I know, I know) "Paradies city"- but only the first part with the harmonies- a few years later (and many listens) and I can't even figure out what the HELL I was thinking back then, the album is pretty much totally solid but for "rocket queen" and is one of the most kick-arse debut albums EVER (in the same category as "Pronounced Lehnurd Skin-nerd")
Slick's in Australia right nowI dislike almost all tunes that aren't the singles, at first anyway.

arctangent
07-23-2007, 07:41 AM
I was about to say "most of AC/DC from Razor's Edge on" so yours fits perfectly.

don't you mean "most of AC/DC from Flick Of The Switch on"? they have not made a quality album since For Those About To Rock. You could probably make an album out of all their decent tunes since then, which is a shame as they are such a great live band but, like the stones, who goes to see them for their new stuff?

CaptainSolo1138
07-23-2007, 07:59 AM
the album is pretty much totally solid but for "rocket queen"Oh, snap. "Rocket Queen" is totally badass. C'mon, Carl!

BTW, that would be a good nickname for RB's wife.

Kidhuman
07-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Oh, snap. "Rocket Queen" is totally badass. C'mon, Carl!

BTW, that would be a good nickname for RB's wife.

Why would Carl be a good nickname for her??? Oh, I get it now !!!!

2-1B
07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Mabs, Ballbreaker came out while I was in high school so it's kinda sentimental to me but it's not a solid album on the whole...it's got a few gems in there, though.

I disagree on Razor's Edge, I still think that's a pretty solid record start to finish.

My favorite cut from Appetite is Mr. Brownstone.
Also, I like My Michelle.

JON9000
07-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Def Leppard: Hysteria

The most obnoxiously overproduced album ever.

JediTricks
07-25-2007, 03:13 PM
don't you mean "most of AC/DC from Flick Of The Switch on"? they have not made a quality album since For Those About To Rock. You could probably make an album out of all their decent tunes since then, which is a shame as they are such a great live band but, like the stones, who goes to see them for their new stuff?I liked "Who Made Who" which is after Flick, but I'm not sure it's as an album or as singles. If they released a Greatest Hits 2-album it'd destroy, but they don't want to seem "over" supposedly... ironically.

Oh, snap. "Rocket Queen" is totally badass. C'mon, Carl!Yeah, that song is great, and perfectly timed in the album to work the pacing and lighten things up right at the end.

I disagree on Razor's Edge, I still think that's a pretty solid record start to finish.

My favorite cut from Appetite is Mr. Brownstone.
Also, I like My Michelle.I like the aggression in Brownstone, that muthaf***er, and I always think I'm not gonna like My Michelle because it's got a sappy sound at first, but it really drives well.

Def Leppard: Hysteria

The most obnoxiously overproduced album ever.I have to admit, now that you've said it, it is a solid choice.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
don't you mean "most of AC/DC from Flick Of The Switch on"? they have not made a quality album since For Those About To Rock. You could probably make an album out of all their decent tunes since then, which is a shame as they are such a great live band but, like the stones, who goes to see them for their new stuff?
I actually liked Flick of the Switch quite a bit. I think it's rather underrated. Fly on the Wall had some good songs, but I don't remember most of the album. Who Made Who was mostly a compilation. Blow Up Your Video was the that didn't do anything for me. I'm not sure if I heard Razor's Edge in it's entirety, but "Thunderstruck" sure was a great tune.

In regards to Mötley Crüe, nothing after Theatre of Pain interested me. I prefer the sound of Too Fast For Love. That's a good album.

I'm looking through my CD collection, and most of it I still like quite well. The stuff that I don't like I probably wasn't that into to begin with. Quite often I would be a CD based on one song. I was usually pretty lucky with this, such as with artists I discovered on Beavis & Butt-Head (Jawbox and Quicksand are two that stand out). One CD that I bought based on one song was Smash Mouth's Fush Yu Mang. "Walking On The Sun" was a pretty cool tune, and I still think so. However, the rest of the album turned me off, and I probably only listened to the whole thing once or twice.

darko666
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
For reals?! I never really liked that song.

just the fact that it had a darker tone than most other BHG songs, made it stick out. after a few listens of it, i started to enjoy it, and it's still the only track on the new album that i can listen to. to each their own.

Rocketboy
07-27-2007, 10:05 PM
just the fact that it had a darker tone than most other BHG songs, made it stick out. after a few listens of it, i started to enjoy it, and it's still the only track on the new album that i can listen to. to each their own.I think the darker tone (and it wasn't laugh out loud funny, like most BHG songs) is the reason I don't like it.

In 1997 Cappy was nearly blinded by the guitar player from Cheap Trick.
True story.

El Chuxter
08-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Dude, Hysteria? WTF? Every frigging song was a hit single, and it has "Pour Some Sugar on Me."

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Yes, but those hits seemed to be going in a different musical direction than Pyromania, which is the one I like the best.

JON9000
08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Dude, Hysteria? WTF? Every frigging song was a hit single, and it has "Pour Some Sugar on Me."

I know, and that horribly overproduced sound dates the record something awful. I think the dressed down garage movement was a direct result of having such overblown garbage on MTV all day for 7 months. Don't get me wrong, many a great album have been heavily produced... Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds... but those were inventive. Hysteria all sounds the same and represents the nadir of disposable pop-metal.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Jon's point just above is well-rounded, I was just going to point out that WHO ****ING CARES HOW MANY SINGLES IT PRODUCES?!? Since when did hit singles make an album stand up to the test of time? By that logic, Los Del Rio should be cranking out triple-platinums after their Macarena. :p And conversely, look at an album like Ozzy's "No More Tears" where every single is very somber and deep, but nearly every other track is hellafun too despite never charting.

vader121
08-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I have a hard time listening to any ACDC these days except for the occasional Bon Scott album. I also really can't listen to much of Ozzy's albums anymore. The singles are overplayed beyond belief and the other tracks are just not that good. Oh and dare I add Kiss to this list too. Used to be into them big but just have moved on I guess.

GNR 'Appetite' is solid all the way through as well as Leppard's 'Hysteria'.

The latest Metallica album 'St Anger' is complete garbage in my opinion. Was really looking forward to it and it simply stinks. I am also a huge Metallica fan but just can't force myself to listen to it and like it. The Load and Reload albums are not as bad but rate pretty high on the stink scale too. Can add the Black album to the list of overplayed to the point of nausea. The singles are mostly solid but not as fun as the older stuff. When they took the slower ballad-like song route they destroyed their image. i don't care if they gained a new audience or whatever Lars Ulrich says it let many people down bigtime.

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 01:06 AM
I've never felt it with Kiss, they look metal yet sound bubblegum, and always have.

I go through phases with The Black Album, I dug it when it first came out, cooled about a year afterwards, then totally lost interest in it. Now I can pick out a few tracks that get me going, but the album as a whole is still not quite "there" for me. I guess the album does fit in this thread for me then because Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice For All never get old for me, yet Metallica does, and nothing afterwards that they've done has worked for me.

Ha! I just noticed that the producer of The Black Album is the same one who produced the album which started this whole thread.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Ha! I just noticed that the producer of The Black Album is the same one who produced the album which started this whole thread.Bob Rock was a member of the Payola$. I wish "Eyes of a Stranger" was available on iTunes.

El Chuxter
08-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Music from the Elder still holds up damned well.

vader121
08-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Sure El Chuxter, songs like 'Fanfare', 'Mr. Blackwell', and 'Escape from the Island' are eternally kick-*****.

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 02:51 PM
"As a KISS record I'd give it a zero. As a bad Genesis record, I'd give it a two."
- Gene Simmons, KISS: Behind the Mask: The Official Authorized Biography

Ouch! You know an album is bad when its frontman calls it a waste.

2-1B
08-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Paul Stanley is the frontman.

mabudonicus
08-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Yeah, "Elder" is holding up well here too- my TV doesn't wobble anymore thanks to a copy of the album wedged under one o the legs of the TV stand ;)

Seriously, I hope you were joking Chux or I'm gonna crank call ya like no tomorrow and do my Paul Stanley imitation and berate you soundly each time
Chux HAS to be kidding :D (tho technically the album sucks exactly as hard as it did when it came out)

El Chuxter
08-18-2007, 09:52 AM
You act as though the opportunity to hear your Paul Stanley impression would be a bad thing. :beard:

I actually don't think it's too bad, but it's near the bottom of the KISS hierarchy. Oddly enough, I kinda dig the "disco after disco was already dead but no one told us" vibe of Unmasked, too. (Though, oddly, the disco vibe of Dynasty pales in comparison.)

2-1B
08-18-2007, 09:59 AM
I think Dynasty still holds up fairly well after 28 years...Charisma is a GREAT tune, and I also dig Sure Know Something, 2000 Man, and Hard Times from that record.

The Elder was, is, and ever shall be awful. :dead: Still..."I" is kinda a fun tune. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
08-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the KISS army.

JediTricks
09-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I hate to say it, but Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" doesn't hold up anymore for me, it's basically 2 and a half good songs surrounded by some pretty weak material actually.

El Chuxter
09-12-2007, 05:05 PM
You, Mr Tricks, are insane. That statement proves it. The men in white coats will be by shortly so that they may lock you in a little room, where from now on you will receive your meals on a tray slid through a tiny slot in the door, because everyone is afraid of you.

JediTricks
09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Planet Caravan is boring, Electric Funeral is corny, and everything after Funeral is either flat or dated or both.

El Chuxter
09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
You consider "Fairies Wear Boots" to be either flat or dated or both?

It's worse than I thought. Your Doombot programming has started to interfere with your musical tastes.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I concur with El Chuxter. Of course, I only got the album for myself in 1998. I do recall my oldest brother having the album when I was a kid in the early/mid 70's because I remember "Iron Man". I recall asking him to play "that scary song". I don't know if I remember anything else from the album at that time. Years later, my other brother had a tape of it and that is probably when I discovered the title track, but still don't recall the rest of the album. Finally got the CD and enjoyed it quite a bit. Electric Funeral might be my least favorite on the album, but it is still all right. The riff sounds like something Beavis & Butt-Head used imitate. I rather like Planet Caravan. It's a nice, mellow, spacy break in the middle of the album. Title track, War Pigs and Hand of Doom are my favorite songs on there.

JediTricks
09-13-2007, 04:37 AM
I'll listen to it again just for you Chux....

Jack the Stripper is an ok intro, but once it gets to the actual song it drops to a very dated song. The main riff is really simplistic, and Ozzy's got a little oomph in part of it but then goes back to his '60s sound which I don't care for (and is all over this album). I just don't think it holds up well.

Darth Notafinga
09-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Sadly, Liz Phair's much acclaimed "Exile in Guyville" seems like "Exercise in Boringville" to me.

I still love that album. Come to think of it though, i haven't played it in some time.

JediTricks
09-23-2007, 05:39 PM
... everything by Marilyn Manson.

El Chuxter
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
His albums never held up in the first place. He had a few good songs*, but I've always had a hard time listening to any of his CDs all the way through.

*--I Put a Spell on You, Sweet Dreams Are Made of This, The Dope Show, and I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me). So a grand total of four songs that don't need to be buried in an unmarked grave and forgotten.

JediTricks
09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, the albums as a whole are too much for me to sit through, I get bored with the same concepts over and over. I hate to say it, but it's kinda the same with NIN (Trent Reznor produces Marilyn Manson, hence my mention) except without the level of drive.

El Chuxter
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
The best comment I ever read about Marilyn Manson:

"So this guy wears makeup, uses a girl's name, plays hard rock music, and does all sorts of crazy things to try to shock people. Gee, how original!"
--Alice Cooper

jjreason
09-25-2007, 08:35 PM
"The Dope Show" rocks behinds, everything else Manson blows goats - including Manson himself. And I'd wager he puts it on YouTube.