PDA

View Full Version : I want my favourite character. (Please).

Kithaba
07-18-2007, 04:02 AM
Dear Hasbro,

I have been collecting SWF since 1983, and I am still waiting for my all-time favourite character - Kithaba (no, the POTF Barada-sculpt was not enough to satisfy me, although the colours were tantalizing).

I've been very patient, and at times during the last few years it's looked possible (or even likely) that I might eventually be able to buy a well-sculpted Kithaba with a good paintjob. But it's been 24 years now, and I'm starting to panic that the production of OT figures will cease, and I'll still be left without a decent fig of my favourite character, just as I was back in the mid-80s.

Please don't do this to me Hasbro! I can't stand the thought that I might die before I can add a Kithaba to my collection. I don't mind waiting a bit longer, but I wouldn't mind knowing if there's at least a glimmer of hope.

----------

Oh, and, while you're at it, I know this is a bit cheeky of me, but could you do all the Nikto/Weequay types as well please? You could do some race-themed 4 packs like this:

Weequays: Hunter, Skiff Master, Marksman/Guard (they both look the same to me), Ak-Buz

Kajain'sa Niktos: Vizam, Vedain, Beytmun, Nysad

Kadas'sa Niktos: Wooof, Klaatu (Yotts Orren?), Giran (Rancor Keeper's Assistant), and the one on the skiff who looks like Giran but has a metal helmet for battle, not a cloth one.

-----------

I want Kithaba carded. Don't just shove him in a multipack with a load of other figs.

Barada is cool, but Kithaba is cooler.

bigbarada
07-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Barada is cool, but Kithaba is cooler.

:mad:

Just kidding it's good to see more support for Skiff Guard action figures. I would LOVE a Kithaba action figure, because I see the chances of Hasbro redoing the current Barada figure as extremely slim.

Here's a thread you might find interesting and informative:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=14098

Kithaba
07-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Haha I was puzzled by your reaction to the Barada comment, and then noticed your screen name!

I just read the "skiff guards" thread, and am in total agreement. It's a gaping Hasbro hole and it's shocking.

Don't know about anyone else, but for me personally, the alien skiff guards are cool (and therefore desirable as figures) because they have the same timeless, hard-arsed, grunginess about them as Boba Fett. Not many of the other characters have these qualities.

Now, I'm a big fan of Boba Fett (isn't everyone?), so I think I'll get slated for this, but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that I actually think the alien skiff guard types are cooler, and here's why:

They're harder.

Stay with me! You see, Boba Fett could very well be a wuss, posing behind all that armour and rocket launchers and other gadgets. If you took all those away from him, he'd be a nothing. Same goes for the jedis with all their cheating magic tricks.

Take away the skiff guards' weapons and they'd still be hard. I bet they'd pulverize Boba in a fair fisticuff fight. The same goes for characters like Bossk, Ponda Baba and Tusken Raiders*. I have always really liked them ever since I was a kid, because they're tough and hardy in a don't-mess-with-me way, without being overtly so like the Gammorrean Guards. Luke and Obi-Wan would have been no match for Ponda Baba without the lightsabre and the jedi reaction speed. And pit a weaponless, armourless Boba Fett against Bossk, and I reckon Boba wouldn't stand a chance. Bossk would rend him limb from limb.

*We can forgive them for being easily-startled

bigbarada
07-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm totally with you on the coolness of the skiff guards, the roughest, toughest group of henchmen in the Star Wars universe. In fact, they were so tough that Luke's lightsaber couldn't even cut through them.:D

It's sad that we haven't seen a single new Skiff Guard figure from the prisoner skiff in ten years (Weequay in 1997). It's been seven years since we've seen ANY skiff guard in a new sculpt (Barada 1999).

In total, we've only gotten Weequay, Barada and Pote Snitkin in the last 22 years.... that's it.:cry:

Kithaba
07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
No new sculpt - yeah. I have to say though, I quite like the colours on the 2006 Weequay repaint. I think you'll agree with me here, but I'd sooner see an all-new Weequay Skiff Master in his trademark straighter, stiffer pose than a resculpt of the wide-stance POTF2 Weequay Hunter. They didn't do a bad job with that one.

Ok, maybe I was being a bit ambitious with the 4-packs. How about cutting out the more obscure ones and marketing them as Weequay/Nikto 2-packs?

Weequays: Skiff Master + Ak-Buz
Kajain'sa Niktos: Beytmun* + Vedain
Kadas'sa Niktos: Woof* + Giran

* They HAVE to do these for heaven's sake - they were the vintage Klaatu and Nikto! That makes them automatically awesome.

bigbarada
07-19-2007, 01:39 AM
No new sculpt - yeah. I have to say though, I quite like the colours on the 2006 Weequay repaint. I think you'll agree with me here, but I'd sooner see an all-new Weequay Skiff Master in his trademark straighter, stiffer pose than a resculpt of the wide-stance POTF2 Weequay Hunter. They didn't do a bad job with that one.

Ok, maybe I was being a bit ambitious with the 4-packs. How about cutting out the more obscure ones and marketing them as Weequay/Nikto 2-packs?

Weequays: Skiff Master + Ak-Buz
Kajain'sa Niktos: Beytmun* + Vedain
Kadas'sa Niktos: Woof* + Giran

* They HAVE to do these for heaven's sake - they were the vintage Klaatu and Nikto! That makes them automatically awesome.

I honestly think that the vintage Weequay is still better than the POTF2 figure. So I'd like to see both Weequays from the prisoner skiff remade.

Everyone thought that the POTF2 Bossk was adequate until the VTAC Bossk showed just how good the figure could look. Same with the Saga Skiff Lando compared to the POTF2 Skiff Lando.

So I would love to see the vintage treatment for all of the skiff guards from the Kenner line (Weequay, Nikto, Klaatu, Barada). Along with equally high quality figures of Kithaba, Vedain, Qeequay and Giran.

BTW, I read Tales of Jabba's Palace, but am still unsure as to where you are getting all of those names from. Are those from a CCG or something else I'm unfamiliar with?

Kithaba
07-19-2007, 10:05 AM
They're just names I've picked up at some point. There was a website up a while back with pics and corresponding names but I can't find it now. I think it's been taken down. I have a feeling it must have been to do with SW cards because the only references I can find to the same names have to do with those cards. I also read somewhere that Woof was the pet name they had on the film set for Klaatu with the skirt, and it stuck, albeit with the
"ooo" spelling. Other names might have come from a book about SW figure collecting I had ages ago but is in a box somewhere. Others I might have seen online. Sorry - I'm a bit vague.

Kithaba
07-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Oh, and re: POTF2 Weequay - I just compared all Kenner/Hasbro Weequays with a ref pic, and I can see your point now. I've never really noticed before, but the vintage one had something going for it - the torso's shape is more accurate, and there's something I like about the more neutral stance too. You're right - it could do with a resculpt, paying particular attention to the torso, which needs to be straighter, without that POTF2 T-shape thing happening, and they could maybe also try and find a way of separating out the braids on his head or something.

bigbarada
07-30-2007, 01:05 AM
I almost want to say that Hasbro should try actual braided hair for a new Weequay, similar to what they used for the POTJ Slave leia, but fear it would end up looking like crap. Probably best to stick to sculpted plastic.

Anyways, I was looking at the upcoming Umpass Stay figure and it kind of looks like that headdress is removable to some degree, which also makes me wonder if it's a fully sculpted Klatooinian head under there (similar to the fully sculpted Nikto head on the Ep2 Nikto Jedi). If that's the case, it might be that Hasbro plans to reuse that mold for a Kithaba or new Barada figure at some point in the future (seeing as how Umpass Stay was just a recycled Barada/Kithaba mask). Who knows? If nothing else, it will be great custom fodder.

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=24399&cat=5403

Gothiczartan
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I really enjoy all these 3 3 /4" scale star wars action figures you made and what I would like to see a all new sculpt luke in snowspeeder pilot figure being made in movie accurate.

hasbro can you make a figure like that, the fans may like to see one made, I'm sure other fans that I told may like to see a luke skywalker in snowspeeder pilot figure in a new sculpt and movie accurate.