PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest SW Purchase?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-07-2002, 07:47 PM
As collectors (or scalpers/speculators :D ), I'm sure we've all been burned or bummed out by some deal we got. What're yours?

I'd have to go with stupidly falling for the "well, you may never find it again" line and shelling out $35 for POTF2 Lando Calrissian. Ugh! :crazed: :mad: :dead: One good thing that's come out of that atrocity; I have NEVER been burned since.

SithDroid
02-07-2002, 11:38 PM
I remember when Lando was the figure that was hard to get. My comic specialty shop was selling him for $50 when he came out because he was so hard to get. Then a couple days later I went into Target and boom, they got in a whole shipment of Lando. There must have been about 30 of him to choose from. Ah remember the good old days when stores actually bought figures in massive amounts. Now we're lucky if they buy two cases. The most expensive figure that I bought was Zuckuss for $15 on ebay. No SW figure should sell for more than $20, even if it is rare.

InsaneJediGirl
02-08-2002, 02:21 PM
The dumbest SW item I ever bought would probably have to
be the AT-AT.It broke the next day and wasnt worth the $80
something dollars.(I took it back,so no worries)

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 03:11 AM
Hmm, would paying full price for most of the Ep 1 figures count? ;)

stillakid
02-09-2002, 09:18 AM
I think I paid $15 bucks for that C-3PO that came out with the first new line. Not too much damage there. Oh, and the mini vehicle things, Obi Wan Sub and Maul with the battle speeder, I paid handsomely for on the internet only to find them A YEAR later at KB for like 5 bucks a piece. bastards.:greedy:

Lman316
02-09-2002, 11:38 AM
I STUPIDLY paid $40 for a CUSTOM figure at a toy show. It was a Darth Vader w/ Removable Helmet, on a blue card. I thought maybe it was something new that just come out and bought it.
When I got back to my car, I looked at the back and noticed there was no Kenner marking. So I went back inside and (thankfully) got my money back.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-09-2002, 11:43 AM
See, now I take a different spin to the "darn! I should've waited 14 months to get them at 50% off" idea. I don't consider my purchase of the POTF2 AT-AT for $79.99 when it first came out because I wanted one then. Same thing for the E1 figures, R2 carry case, Complete galaxy, etc. It's when I foolishly paid secondary market prices for things I should've waited for. I bought Brown Vest Jedi Luke for $39.95, but I hadn't seen him for less, and I haven't noticed prices lately. I don't regret that buy. I knew I'd wait for the Queen's Ship ($32, but minus one panel on the ship), so I've wised up a tad.

GNT
02-09-2002, 10:25 PM
I'd have to go with a Jar Jar frosted mug and some weird hasbro puzzle game!

TK421
02-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Anything prequel!! (Sorry you know me just venting!!:p )

Sidiously Darth
02-13-2002, 11:24 PM
My 2 Ellorss Maddaks from an online source for $9.99 each. I could get as many as I want now for $4.99 at Target. I guess that's not so bad.

DagMarus
02-17-2002, 01:09 PM
R4-D5. No, I paid the normal price, but just buying him makes me ill. Burn in hell R4-D5. Burn.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DagMarus
R4-D5. No, I paid the normal price, but just buying him makes me ill. Burn in hell R4-D5. Burn.

Any issues you need to address, DM? :rolleyes: I hate Malakili, but I do not wish for him to suffer enternal torment in the afterworld for the punished. Well, maybe just a little... :evil:

stormie
02-20-2002, 04:40 PM
This probably isn't that big a deal to most, but I NEVER buy anything currently available (or theoretically, at least) at retail from anywhere but the regular department and toy stores. I won't even buy from those electronics or comic book shops, with their inflated prices. Anyway, early in my collecting fanaticism, I purchase a RH Darth Vader from a guy at a toy show...for 12 bucks! Yeah, the figure is great and all, and probably worth the $12, but the next day I found one at a Target for $6. D'oh! Never will I pay more than retail for any currently shipping (theoretically shipping) toy again!

...unless, of course, it's really cool looking. ;)

-Bob

Amanamike
02-21-2002, 03:31 AM
Since Im from Canada and we have nothing, I pretty well get burned on ever thing I buy. But the biggest waste of money was paying 129.99 for the Bwing(thats canadian dollars). My friend called me from a cell phone and I thought he said 29.99 not 129.99 and I said "Holy S#*%, thats a great deal get me 2" Needless to say when i got the bill for 260 bucks I wasntt o happy. Oh well live and learn. NEVER again though

Turbowars
02-23-2002, 09:34 PM
Back when the EU figures and ships came out there was this guy that I saw every Saturday morning at Target and he would buy as much as he could get his hands on to sell on line. I saw him pick up about 12 EU snow speeders and some hot wheels. About three months later I saw him in the parking lot with a cart full of those same speeders that he couldn't sell so he was returning them back to Target. He saw me and turned his head away real quick, I guess he was embarrassed

Bel-Cam Jos
02-24-2002, 05:34 PM
Like turbowars' last story, I was in a TRU when the first Biker Scout and Speeder Bike came out (1996?), and a "person" had one in his hands. He was talking to others around him that he had something like 6-7 of them already. I innocently said I had none. Now, recall that the purchase had not yet been made, he was simply holding it in the action figure aisle. He offered to sell it to me outside for $10 (retail: $7.99, I think). WHAT?!? I said, no, I'd wait until I found my own at the store's price and walked away. "People" like that give we collectors a bad rep! :mad:

Beast
02-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Like turbowars' last story, I was in a TRU when the first Biker Scout and Speeder Bike came out (1996?), and a "person" had one in his hands. He was talking to others around him that he had something like 6-7 of them already. I innocently said I had none. Now, recall that the purchase had not yet been made, he was simply holding it in the action figure aisle. He offered to sell it to me outside for $10 (retail: $7.99, I think). WHAT?!? I said, no, I'd wait until I found my own at the store's price and walked away. "People" like that give we collectors a bad rep! :mad:
Yeah, I had a similar experience back then and with the exact same vehicle. :( Scalpers really sure were braisen back then with stuff weren't they. It's not as bad now, thankfully alot of scalpers moved onto more profitable stuff.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

ThomasLane
02-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Monkey-Faced-Leia. Why the hell did I want a Monkey-Faced-Leia, and why do I have two?!!!

Amanamike
02-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Hahahaha I know the feeling. When they first came out I thought it was gonna be just a few guys and that was gonna be it. So I bought a few of each. Now they just look like crap most of em especially Monkey face bow legged leia

LTBasker
02-28-2002, 05:26 PM
I bought a Monkey face Leia for $25 at a booth in the theatre that a comic was allowed to set up for the release of the Special Edition trilogy. It was when I went to see ANH and this was when she was hard to find and I didn't have the net then so I had only seen her on cardbacks and I was searching franticly for her (even though I was only like 9 or 10, hehe) and I saw her and I begged for it, well I was actually able to get it, then a few months later she was showing up in hoards on both Orange and Green card, shoot when I went to Wal-Mart one time they had a basket full for I think clearance but nope... I had bought her for $25. :(

billfremore
03-04-2002, 10:09 PM
I would have to say it was not what I bought but what I didn't buy.

I had all three Max rebo band two packs in my hand ready to buy them and changed my mind because I figured I could just get them later.

Almost as stupid as when I had a Shadows of the Empire Luke in my hands and put it down.

When I reflect on these choices I have made it makes me want to beat myself in the head with a nerf bat!!!
(Hey a real bat would hurt ya know!)

haggis
03-06-2002, 12:14 AM
Had similar experience to Bill when it came to the AT-AT. Saw two of them in a Walmart one day and decided I'd get it later when funds were more abundant. To this day, I haven't found another.

DarkArtist
03-06-2002, 09:47 PM
I can't believe the insane prices some people are paying fro the AOTC preview figure as well as the Lego starfighters on ebay. I saw an auction for the starfighter and the price was already up to $50.00. Sometimes I wonder if these people ever get out of their houses...........
But in response to the highest price ever payed on a Star Wars item $30 for a Hologram Darth Sidious. I forgot that the price on the figure at the time was in pounds not Us currency. Oh Well. Live and Learn right.

roneyzf
03-20-2002, 02:35 AM
i would have to say i bought like 20 battle droid scout tanks so i could build a battle droid army. to my shock when i open them up to find out the arms didn't move.

Wolfwood319
03-20-2002, 02:42 AM
There are plenty of "misses'' pretaining to me.

I saw a bunch of Han w/ Taun Taun and Luke w/ Wampas at an FAO back when they first came out. They were like $10 more at FAO so I'd figured I'd wait and get them at Wal-Mart or something... I have yet to see them again.

Same story with some of those later FF figs. I remember going into Target some morning, seeing the new figures, but holding off cause I wanted a video game instead. I have yet to get the Ewoks 2-pack, Ugnaughts and Biggs Darklighter...:cry:

Same goes with the Max Rebo band pairs, although I did get a Max from EE a while back real cheap.

The new rule of thumb is, if you see, and want it, get it, cause you won't see it again.

Rollo Tomassi
03-25-2002, 05:09 PM
CommTechChip Reader at full price.

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 04:03 PM
I purchased it thinking it would make a great addition to my OT "story" records. Boy was I ever sorry I bought that crap! It had OT score music on it and very little dialogue. It was mostly crap narration and clocked in at like under 20 minutes!!!