PDA

View Full Version : Bespin Luke

Bosskman
07-20-2007, 05:21 AM
The next Sideshow figure is Bespin Luke. Man he's gonna be sweet. Nothing against prequel figures by all this OT stuff we got coming is a very good thing. Bring on Vader.

Tycho
07-20-2007, 02:23 PM
I bet he IS going to look great. Ugggh!

He's not on my list (such as Nute Gunray, Weequay, or Lando General, etc)

I'm more independent of a thinker in that I can see my principles through the haze of temptation (often, but not always), and I will try and resist buying this.

However, you KNOW it's going to be good!

In any case, money not spent is money saved, so there's always that.

Oh, hopefully a Bespin Luke brings us closer to something I DO really want very badly - the red gown Bespin LEIA.

K M Toydarian
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
May get this depending on the accessories and depending what other figures are revealed on the horizon. (But I am sure I'll break down regardless.)
Hopefully a standard accessory will be the tourniquet thingy like Hasbro's 3 3/4 figure. The extras will bring it from just a Military figure to a Star Wars figure. I would like to see the outfit sufficiently weathered too.

Darth Cruel
07-21-2007, 06:09 PM
This is my favorite Luke. He has a military uniform, blaster, AND lightsaber. I am hoping for some other accessories as well. The Bespin back pack would be great. Him ending up as the 2-pack and coming with Yoda would have been sweet. I hope he has a couple of the crates and stuff he had on Dagobah. But then...that would make him more of a "Dagobah Luke", wouldn't it? The little shot of him holding his lightsaber makes the costume look great, though!

I have read a few complaints about this being the 3rd Luke with so few figures having been done overall. But I am still hoping for 2(3) more:

1) X-Wing Luke
2) Hoth Luke
3) Snowspeder Luke (could be done by the exclusive item in X-Wing Luke being the insulated flight suit)
Then I will be satisfied with Lukes for a long time (not forever).

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Looks good so far, saber looks downright amazing in its 1:6th authenticity. Hopefully we get a better look at the head soon, thatís what makes or breaks any figure, especially one as iconic as Luke Bespin - THE action Luke for most fans. So far, that little preview looks promising.

But the costume has some issues at this stage: the pockets are way too high, the colorís not there yet, the beltís undersized, and the collar doesnít appear to be folded up. Also, I know the original costumeís jacket is a little high-waisted and the SSC 12? body is short in the torso, but I really hope this doesnít end up as short as Han Bespinís bolero-length jacket, that didnít look right.

evenflow
07-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Any thoughts on the exclusive?

mm74md
07-25-2007, 04:05 PM
QTVR of Luke Bespin

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/mov_qtvr/2127-QTVR.mov?affiliate=CD1384

mm74md
07-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Here's a pic...this is going to be awesome..can't wait to get Vader too!!!

JediTricks
08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
The pics don't do it justice, in person the head sculpt works even better. The outfit still needs the pockets fixed and the collar issue addressed, but I was thrilled to priority preorder it at the show.

I have the 411 on the exclusive, fixing to post it in news later today but don't hold me to that, I've got a friggin' TON of notes to go through.

JediTricks
08-04-2007, 03:52 AM
Dang, I can't believe how long it took me to get that post ship-shape! Anyway, the news on Luke Bespin is $55 and the exclusive is the tourniquet device, which I think is a great choice because it's not REALLY essential to the character and it's barely in the film, but it's memorable.

Anyway, check out the rundown here: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p2_articleid=1018

Blue2th
08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I guess I was thinking the tourniquet device was some big old cast-like tube with a red and white hose connected to it like the Hasbro "bloody stubb Luke" that came out a few years back. Tuns out it's just a bandage kinda thingy.

Anyways, still debating on getting him at Priority Preorder tomorrow.

JediTricks
08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
It's supposed to be the same device, I wonder if that means Hasbro's version is inaccurate.

The stump attached to the wrist articulation looks weird, but I think in the shirt it'll pay off.

My SDCC preorder is now in my account, but not showing rewards points.

neocrasher
09-05-2007, 03:45 AM
so 4th quarter means around what time?

JediTricks
09-06-2007, 12:57 AM
The last 3 months of the year. My guess is December, but I'm hoping October.

JediTricks
10-30-2007, 09:53 PM
It's only been 3 months, but Bespin Luke is hitting the warehouse in the next 20-25 days, so says the email Sideshow sent me.

jedibear
11-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Not only are notices hitting (arrival possibily pending around the end of Nov) but Sideshow has updated their product page with some new shots showing an updated (improved) outfit...

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=21271&source=starhome

Have a look while we wait.... :)
....he's lookin' good!

JediTricks
11-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I honestly can't see the difference from the last one, it's been a while. What are the diffs you see?

jedibear
11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
It's probably mostly better futzing that makes the fit of the outfit look better, but two definite improvements are the collar looks more movie-accurate, and the pockets on the jacket front are smaller and better positioned than they were.

JediTricks
11-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Hmm, I hope you're right about the pockets, I remember them being too high and too big and they still seem to be not accurate, but perhaps less so.

I got an email this morning, Luke's 3 to 5 days out and pre-auth-ing in the next 72 hours. Craaaazy!

K M Toydarian
11-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Anybody had an exclusive waitlist fulfilled yet? This is the first figure I missed out on ordering (except the first Jedi Luke) and got on the waitlist about 9pm PST. I am really hoping to get the exclusive version.

jedibear
11-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Got my notice as well....of course it'll probably show up when I'm out of town T-day week...

Keep your eyes on your email box K M Toydarian...you chance may come if there enough CC declines over the next week...

It'll be fun gettin' a new SS figure...feels like it's been awhile.

JediTricks
11-16-2007, 03:10 PM
It's here! It's at my mail place! I'm gonna go get him in a few minutes!

jedibear
11-16-2007, 10:11 PM
That's great! Post some comments and pics!

Fair warning...someone over at the Freaks board commented about a couple of issues...one, the joints on the shoulders were so stiff they needed some hairdryer action to work properly and two, the hook on the belt for the lightsaber hilt is a real tight fight so use caution (I actually remember this being the case on the Jedi Luke's belt as well).

Some shots over there are posted...he's looking real good. Won't see mine till after T-day though...

JediTricks
11-17-2007, 04:38 AM
The belt hook is a tight fit, but it works fine once it's on, the saber doesn't stick up like it can on Luke Jedi. The shoulders on mine are fine, the elbows are stiff but nothing crazy.

I just got in and opened it up, this is an amazing figure, from my POV, this is absolutely the best one yet. The head sculpt and paint are BETTER than the prototype, the likeness is solid from all the angles and doesn't have zombie eyes. The outfit is much improved from the previous cut, top, pants, even the undershirt all works just right. The all-important sleeve length is spot on, they ship the collar down but it flips up soooo nicely. The belt is keen, it uses a magnet to hold down the strap that holds the blaster. The accessories are very nice, Luke's saber has an amazing design, the pistol is nice, the stump may be recycled from Mace Windu (I don't have him to confirm) but it looks good anyway, the exclusive tourniquet is decent, and the hands are nifty.

For packaging, they finally went to the no-tape trays work great. They also added an extra shield behind the head for some unknown reason, I guess paint worries but I've NEVER had a problem because of the packaging. And there's a new lightly-adhesive tape around the hands.

The negatives include gapping at the top front of the hips, the pants suck into this void too easily. The boots are overly simple in the paint department. The saber hilt's silver is too plasticky, they should have added a light paint wash to it. The wrist pegs are, as usual, too stiff to get the alternate hands on comfortably. The head and hands are a darker shade than the body. And the hands are a little oversized.

But none of those negatives are significant or can dent how great this figure seems to me, they utterly nailed it.

That said, while this is my favorite figure, mine absolutely has to go back for replacement...

The holster is assembled wrong, so the gun can't be put all the way in. The leg strap peg hole is off-center and was ripped when it got here.

The pistol on mine has the muzzle sticking up about 5 degrees.

The right wrist hinge is ridiculously loose on mine.

It doesn't dampen my opinion of the figure, but it is frustrating that I'll have to not enjoy it for another few weeks.

jedibear
11-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Glad to hear he's a winner (despite the quality issues you're having to contend with). Can't wait to see mine in a week or so,

Have you tried the "cotton ball" method on the hips? I did this with Bespin Han and it helps the look of the pants significantly and does not affect the articulation. Just take cotton balls and form them into the "void: on the hips and slide the pants back on.

Sounds like we've got three in a row of knock-out figures from Sideshow....I hope ANH Leia and Old Ben continue the trend...

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 05:08 AM
Yeah, I'm still trying to fight the urge to NOT send it back, part of me just says "keep it, it's awesome! You may not get another one this good!" but that's a bad habit of mine, I should get full quality after all.

3 in a row, that'd be Leia Boushh, Asajj Ventress, and now Luke? I can't even remember what's come out last with this line anymore, the pauses are so weird and uneven. Maul and Ep 3 Obi-Wan still feel almost as close as Leia & Asajj even though they're over half a year older.

I've never heard of the cotton ball trick, I'll have to give it a try because it's REALLY noticeable on this figure.

jedibear
11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, those three are Leia/Boussh, Assaj & Bespin Luke (from what I've read anyway)...

I'd call customer service next week and ask them what they can do about the accessories, although I've read reports on two other forums that the blaster's muzzle issue and the lightsaber hilt/blade have been arriving with the issues you've mentioned for other collectors as well, so it could be for naught...

As for the bad wrist joint...these bodies can vary in quality, that's for sure. The only real "I almost sent it back" problem I've ever had was Kit Fisto. His hip, leg and knee joints are all so weak i don't dare display him without a stand (especially with the huge, heavy head) or he'll fall right over. I kept him though, since he is always on a stand.

As for an actual replacement, the Faramir figure I received had a hand that was missing a peice of the glove and Sideshow just sent me a new hand without having to send the figure (or the bad hand) back.

With as nice as this figure sounds, I hope you can get those few issues you're having resolved JT....let us know what you decide to do and how it goes...

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
MOTHER F'er! The comment about the saber blade is why I don't want to give up mine at this point, on mine it's straight and if I have to send it in for tighter wrists and a fixed belt, who knows what I'll get in the saber department. Or the other departments.

But the wrist on mine is so floppy that he can't take cool poses with the pistol or 1-handed lightsaber fighting, and there's no replacement part for that which they can send (I think, could be wrong but I doubt it). My only choices are to eat the pain or send it back, and I'm determined to get a quality that best befits how awesome the figure is. I don't regret that choice except for the not-having-the-figure-for-a-few-weeks aspect.

jedibear
11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Got mine today...just a quick shot before work (I'll get some better ones along with some comments later)

jedibear
11-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Okay...it's later. :)

A few minor nits:
Got the same loose wrist as everyone else...his boots don't match...one is completely painted while the other just has a wash...first dinged-up box I've gotten in a while (despite the sty-caps)...bent gun barrel (cured w/hair dryer)...

I gotta admit, I wasn't "wow'd" by this figure when I took it out of the box initially...but I took it to work with me tonight and had it on my desk and the more I looked at it and tried some different poses with it, well...the "wow" is there. The outfit is well-tailored and the sculpt is pretty amazing. It's another one that can convey different emotion and intensity depending on the lighting conditions.

Now the only "Luke" left to do that I'm really waiting for is "Hoth"...but I'm sure we'll see the "Farmboy" one way before that...

Here's a couple of outdoor shots I snagged on my way to work...enjoy!

Tycho
11-27-2007, 05:26 AM
I like the shot of Luke sitting down, talking to Yoda. Nice work.

jonthejedi
11-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Finally got mine today(and a day early at that)! In a sentence...best Mark Hamill likeness sculpt...ever! I didn't have any wrist problems, my gun also had a bent barrel tip; also had trouble getting gun all the way into holster. Overall all, my favorite SW Sideshow since ROTS Obi & Anakin. I had to cancel Leia due to lack of funds(they do this every 4th quarter while we're in the midst of holiday shopping). I really want my RAH Jango, but it's too much too soon. I'm still reeling from having to cancel my 1/6 Ripley w/power loader.

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Mine is going back tomorrow, they initially asked me for photos of the issues the day before thanksgiving, I took a few days to think about how I'd photograph a weak wrist, then on Monday they emailed back and said they were sending a UPS print-out mailer and I didn't need to send photos after all.

Glad you guys got yours and dig them, despite whatever issues. In jedibear's last photo, you can really see what I'm talking about with the hips/pants, I can't wait to try that cotton idea. I do agree that these things bottleneck too much in Q4, but I'm really glad we got this one so fast - July to November is the shortest turnaround ever.

jedibear
11-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Glad you guys got yours and dig them, despite whatever issues. In jedibear's last photo, you can really see what I'm talking about with the hips/pants, I can't wait to try that cotton idea. I do agree that these things bottleneck too much in Q4, but I'm really glad we got this one so fast - July to November is the shortest turnaround ever.

It is interesting how this one got bumped up to the head of the line...the one thing about the bottlenecking...I'd get more of their stuff, maybe try a diorama or another line but knowing the bottleneck is SOP with them now prevents me from over-extending myself with too many orders...and having to risk losing a 1:6 figure over it. Doggone food n' gas! :)

You're right about the hip issue in my shots JT...did the cotton trick myself today with decent results (those shots were pre-futz :))...here's a shot to illustrate...LMK what you think...

Good luck with your return...hope the next one is primo...

JediTricks
11-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I gather you can make arrangements with them if you call, like put charging and shipping a figure off for a few weeks for such a reasoning, and they're cool with it. I just go nuts at the last minute instead, seems to work. ;)

Of course, if you don't mind non-exclusive, it's a lot easier to just wait till they come out and then buy the second chances or wait lists.

Yeah, that looks a lot better. I'll have to be careful, I can see myself overfilling that and ending up looking silly. :p

I sent my Luke back today, I still have some trepidation about it because I didn't want to let it go.

jedibear
12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Had a little fun futzing Luke some more. Took these shots playing with light a bit and having an old friend join him...

That sculpt is pretty darn good...and it's great that he's height-porportioned correctly with Han.

decadentdave
12-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Han really isn't that much taller than Luke? Hamill is 5' 9" and Harrison is just shy of 6 foot at 5' 11 3/4."

Darth Cruel
12-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Han really isn't that much taller than Luke? Hamill is 5' 9" and Harrison is just shy of 6 foot at 5' 11 3/4."

It is not perfect but it is PLENTY close enough.

decadentdave
12-02-2007, 01:18 AM
It is not perfect but it is PLENTY close enough.

Judging from that photo, Han is almost a full head taller than Luke when in reality the difference is less than 3 inches. The top of Luke's head should be about level with Han's browline. The translation to 1:6 scale doesn't compensate accurately for the difference in height.

JediTricks
12-02-2007, 05:03 PM
That's incorrect, Luke is 172cm and Mark Hamill is 175cm, that's only 5' 7".

JB, that shot of Luke by himself, fantastic! It almost looks like it was taken from the movie if it weren't for the stitching and plastic sheen on the hair. And you really brought out that sculpt with the shadow over his left.

decadentdave
12-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Wrong. Hamill is 5'9" and is 3" shorter than Harrison Ford. I wouldn't go buy some fictional information to the contrary when the physical differences are visually apparent.

JediTricks
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Are you going by the IMDB height claim? Because even there it says 5' 9" and then 175cm which is 5' 7".

decadentdave
12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Are you going by the IMDB height claim? Because even there it says 5' 9" and then 175cm which is 5' 7".

I just used a metric conversion calculator. 69" which is 5 foot 9 inches converts to exactly...

<processing...
<processing...
<processing...

DING!

Answer: 69 in = 175.26 cm

jedibear
12-02-2007, 10:55 PM

JB, that shot of Luke by himself, fantastic! It almost looks like it was taken from the movie if it weren't for the stitching and plastic sheen on the hair. And you really brought out that sculpt with the shadow over his left.

Thanks JT...that's what I like about that shot too...really shows just how good that sculpt is. Any word on your replacement yet?

Wrong. Hamill is 5'9" and is 3" shorter than Harrison Ford. I wouldn't go buy some fictional information to the contrary when the physical differences are visually apparent.

Good heavens...what did I start? :cross-eye
Wrong or right, the figures look good together to me....

jedibear
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
The snow is back!

Luke journeys to Hoth to survey the new rebel base...

(I'm pretty impressed how well the Hasbro outfit works with this figure...borrowed and Endor Troopers gloves and he's all set... :))

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I just used a metric conversion calculator. 69" which is 5 foot 9 inches converts to exactly... Answer: 69 in = 175.26 cmD'oh! I kept using the decimal point in my results as inches, it's 5.7 feet, not 5' 7". Stupid imperial measurement system.

Thanks JT...that's what I like about that shot too...really shows just how good that sculpt is. Any word on your replacement yet?Yeah, there are a lot of photos out there I've seen knocking the figure because something's off about the photo which makes the fig look too makeupy (which isn't the case in person) or just off, yours nailed it though.

No email yet, which is not good, last time they kept me in the loop. They supposedly are super busy though, so I'll give them a couple more days before checking in.

Nifty Hoth shots! The Hasbro clothes seem too big on him, but it does kinda work.

JediTricks
12-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Yesterday morning, I got an email saying they received my return and my replacement would be to me in a week. I was glad they were communicating and waiting 5 to 7 days wasn't the WORST thing. Then I was away from email all day on errands, and when I checked this morning, the box had already shipped and arrived at my box this afternoon. :p

This time, the top styro cap was very tight and I think did a tiny bit of box damage, but it could just be a coincidence.

The figure's right eye is not quite as spot-on as my previous one, but it's acceptable. It's amazing how the distance from the figure and the lighting it's in changes how accurate it was, in the box on the floor it looked WAY off, then all of a sudden it's out and perfect again.

The right wrist on this one is also pretty loose, which bums me out since I could have avoided sending back the whole figure last time and avoided all that worry. This one's double-elbow joints were stiff as hell too, the left one popped nicely but the right one had to be worked until it freed which straight-up sucked.

The belt has the holster correct, the blaster fits ALL THE WAY in which is awesome. The holster leg strap is also centered at the peg so that's good, not as likely to rip.

The blaster has the muzzle still at an angle, I dunno what the hell this is about but I'm beginning to think the design is screwed.

The "off" saber that came with mine has 2 of the silver paint lines at the grips severely diagonal, this is unacceptable and I'm going to ask for a replacement just on that and maybe the blaster if I can get any traction.

jedibear
12-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Damn, JT...you're not havin' much luck with this guy...I hope the third time's the charm on those accessories...

I'm counting myself fortunate that the one I got is pretty decent...

Got him on the desk at work...the more I look at this figure, the more I really like it....

Darth Cruel
12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Yesterday morning, I got an email saying they received my return and my replacement would be to me in a week. I was glad they were communicating and waiting 5 to 7 days wasn't the WORST thing. Then I was away from email all day on errands, and when I checked this morning, the box had already shipped and arrived at my box this afternoon. :p

This time, the top styro cap was very tight and I think did a tiny bit of box damage, but it could just be a coincidence.

The figure's right eye is not quite as spot-on as my previous one, but it's acceptable. It's amazing how the distance from the figure and the lighting it's in changes how accurate it was, in the box on the floor it looked WAY off, then all of a sudden it's out and perfect again.

The right wrist on this one is also pretty loose, which bums me out since I could have avoided sending back the whole figure last time and avoided all that worry. This one's double-elbow joints were stiff as hell too, the left one popped nicely but the right one had to be worked until it freed which straight-up sucked.

The belt has the holster correct, the blaster fits ALL THE WAY in which is awesome. The holster leg strap is also centered at the peg so that's good, not as likely to rip.

The blaster has the muzzle still at an angle, I dunno what the hell this is about but I'm beginning to think the design is screwed.

The "off" saber that came with mine has 2 of the silver paint lines at the grips severely diagonal, this is unacceptable and I'm going to ask for a replacement just on that and maybe the blaster if I can get any traction.

I know how you feel, JT I ordered both versions and have to get replacements for one set of trousers, both mannequins (due to the floppy wrist), both blasters (due to the crooked barrels), both ignited lightsabers (due to crooked blades), and one non-ignited lightsaber (due to beeing crooked). I also ordered both Leias and both stormtrooper blasters have the buttplates broken off of the stocks.

Bosskman
12-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Got mine today. Everything was perfect. Got Leia too - and Lost Season 3. Pretty sweet day......

JediTricks
12-12-2007, 01:34 AM
It better be the charm, that's for f'ing sure. :p I haven't had a chance to email them yet, should probably get on that right now...

Geez, it's a bad month for Sideshow QC!!! Maybe you should scale it back to 1 per character DC, that'd be so disheartening if it were me.

JediTricks
12-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Sucks to be everybody else right now, I complained about my messed up lightsaber hilt and bent blaster, the replacements showed up today and the saber is PRISTINE, while the blaster is STRAIGHT! I didn't even think that'd be possible, but it is totally fine. No idea what to make of that, perhaps the tray is the cause? I can't see why, but this tray-free one came super perfect.

jedibear
12-26-2007, 09:36 PM
As the year closes out, I wanted to offer some images of these Sideshow figures I've enjoyed...

...starting here with Luke Skywalker, Bespin Commander.

Darth Cruel
12-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Sucks to be everybody else right now, I complained about my messed up lightsaber hilt and bent blaster, the replacements showed up today and the saber is PRISTINE, while the blaster is STRAIGHT! I didn't even think that'd be possible, but it is totally fine. No idea what to make of that, perhaps the tray is the cause? I can't see why, but this tray-free one came super perfect.

Got replacements for the Leia Blasters. They are perfect. Will be sending back the bespin Luke tomorrow.

Edit - And by the way, JediBear...I like those pics!

Jayspawn
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I havnt bought this figure yet, but I'm sold on the likeness. Should I get it? Theres a store across town that sells it, so should I get it after inspecting for weapon flaws?

JediTricks
01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Oh yeah, most definitely.

Jayspawn
01-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks JT!

jedibear
10-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Was moving figures around and changing displays and found myself enjoying this one again...

He's still a pretty solid figure...

jonthejedi
10-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Is the R2 the old Hasbro 1/6th? I think I still have that packed away somewhere.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 05:02 AM
That's the POTF2 12" TRU-exclusive electronic R2-D2 that came with electronic 3PO.

Cool photo, but I don't remember Luke's eyes that haunted. Is it on your paint job, just the light, or am I misreading that photo?

jedibear
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks!

Just the light methinks...

JediTricks
11-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Maybe it's haunted for halloween!!!! :spooky:

Jayspawn
11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
The right wrist on my Bespin Luke is incredibly loose, he can't hold his saber or blaster without it limping down so I came up with a small brace to keep it firm. Still a great figure though.

JediTricks
11-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Oh man, that sucks. Once those Buck body wrists go, there's not much you can do about it. I would suggest if your brace isn't enough to rotate the forearm until the wrist joint is horizontal, then it can't droop.