PDA

View Full Version : A couple of mildly amusing thoughts

Kithaba
07-22-2007, 01:28 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew whether lightsabres have a safety catch. Viewing those films in my adulthood, I can't help cringing when Luke has his first try of a lightsabre, and then points it straight at Ben Kenobi when he turns it off. What if it he switched it back on accidentally. BK could have been seriously injured. I think BK should have educated him on the basics first before he even let him lay hands on it.

Another thing I'm wondering is whether aliens ever change their outfits. They can't all like being smelly all the time, surely. Whenever similar aliens appear in the SW universe who wear different outfits, they're always explained as being brothers or sisters, rather than as being one alien who has simply changed his hairstyle or put his other clothes in the wash.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-22-2007, 06:44 PM
As for the clothes, well, Jedi wear similar clothes all the time, and Han wears similar clothing in all of the OT. I think that aliens - as well as humans in SW - change clothes, but it's usually kept simple to save money.

Blue2th
07-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Lightsabers don't kill people, people kill people. Though a child/padawan safety-lock would be good for training.

If you are a Wookie you don't have to worry about changing clothes. Though a good shampoo herbal essence experience would probably help from time to time.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Lightsabers are supposed to have a safety, when they're dropped they shut off (Luke's saber in ESB is a good example) but they can be deactivated with the flick of a thumb for throwing like Vader's saber throw in ROTJ. On Luke's ANH/ESB saber, supposedly the safety is the flick switch at the side of the activation box, I think.

stillakid
07-23-2007, 02:50 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew whether lightsabres have a safety catch. Viewing those films in my adulthood, I can't help cringing when Luke has his first try of a lightsabre, and then points it straight at Ben Kenobi when he turns it off. What if it he switched it back on accidentally. BK could have been seriously injured. I think BK should have educated him on the basics first before he even let him lay hands on it.

Another thing I'm wondering is whether aliens ever change their outfits. They can't all like being smelly all the time, surely. Whenever similar aliens appear in the SW universe who wear different outfits, they're always explained as being brothers or sisters, rather than as being one alien who has simply changed his hairstyle or put his other clothes in the wash.

Call me crazy (or just a little drunk :lipsrsealed: ) but I got to thinking about the aliens who don't wear clothes at all. At some point, they must get turned on by something and their "interest" would be out there for the world to see (think Chewbacca looking at Ms. Kashyyyk in the swimsuit competition). Solo MUST have gotten an eyeful at some point. Ewwwww.

CaptainSolo1138
07-24-2007, 10:33 AM
(think Chewbacca looking at Ms. Kashyyyk in the swimsuit competition)He'd just tuck it into his bandoleer strap.

Jargo
07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
can't imagine Solo playing red rocket with chewie somehow.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Are ship controls and landing instructions all in Basic, like how English is the standard here on Earth?

And is there a metric vs. uh, non-metric type debate on hydrospanner sizes?

With all the cantinas across the galaxy, where are all the comedy clubs out there? Who are the "blonds" or "lawyers" of the SW universe? "A B'Omarr monk, a Jedi Knight, and an Ithorian walk into a cantina..." or "You know you might be a moisture farmer if..."

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I bet that Mos Eisley cantina must have really stunk. I was reading not long ago about when they were tearing up the old CBGB bar in New York. It sounded as if the people working there were getting sick from the incredible smells they were discovering.

stillakid
07-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Nobody ever stops to take a p*** in Star Wars.

I was thinking about when Luke and Obi go to leave the cantina after making the deal with Han. That's that perfect moment when Luke would say something like:

Luke

Oh, hang on a sec. I gotta go take a whiz.

Ben might chime in and say that it's a good idea. He has to go too.

But they don't and they just head out the door. Now, we can assume with some accuracy that they don't have anywhere to urinate (or more) at the Speeder Dealership. Then they head straight for the Falcon where they are rushed off the planet. There is a lot of time to get to Alderaan so we can hope that they all use the facilities in that stretch. After that, unless they whiz in their Stormtrooper suits while in the Garbage Compactor, there really isn't any time for them to evacuate their bowels.

darko666
07-27-2007, 02:44 AM
I was reading not long ago about when they were tearing up the old CBGB bar in New York. It sounded as if the people working there were getting sick from the incredible smells they were discovering.

going there a few times for shows and seeing first hand how the place looked, i don't even want to think about what stench was dwelling there. all that sweat, p_ss, puke, blood, beer, smoke, other bodily fluids just fermenting for many years. the mens bathroom was just a large trough.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2007, 02:45 AM
Nobody ever stops to take a p*** in Star Wars.

I was thinking about when Luke and Obi go to leave the cantina after making the deal with Han. That's that perfect moment when Luke would say something like:

Luke

Oh, hang on a sec. I gotta go take a whiz.

Ben might chime in and say that it's a good idea. He has to go too.

But they don't and they just head out the door. Now, we can assume with some accuracy that they don't have anywhere to urinate (or more) at the Speeder Dealership. Then they head straight for the Falcon where they are rushed off the planet. There is a lot of time to get to Alderaan so we can hope that they all use the facilities in that stretch. After that, unless they whiz in their Stormtrooper suits while in the Garbage Compactor, there really isn't any time for them to evacuate their bowels.When they stopped on that cliff overlooking Mos Eisley, they weren't just there to admire the view.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Yoda: "In, you must go."
[Luke puts weapon belt on, and pulls out a small device]
Yoda: "Your cell phone. You will not need it."
[Luke puts phone in pocket and enters cave. Sees image of Darth Vader, ignites own lightsaber]
Phone: "Beeeeepppp! "
Luke: "Hello? I'm kind of busy now."
Phone voice: "Get... under the... uh-... when... you... time..."
Luke: "You're breaking up. I'm going to-"
[Vader takes advantage of the conversation to cut Luke down with saber. Luke's head breaks open to reveal... Vader's dome, with a Bluetooth earpiece]

Outside, Yoda shakes his head in sadness and continues to text Obi-Wan...

Mad Slanted Powers
07-31-2007, 08:23 PM
In ESB, Yoda says "Always with you it cannot be done." In TPM, he tells Qui-Gon, "An apprentice you have, Qui-Gon. Impossible to take on a second." Rather convenient that the code forbids it.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 03:53 PM
When they stopped on that cliff overlooking Mos Eisley, they weren't just there to admire the view.
That would explain a lot.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Yep, nothing like the simple fun of whizzing off a cliff.

darko666
08-03-2007, 11:04 PM

not to mention Lukes skill for being able to bullseye womprats not only with his T-16.

TeeEye7
08-04-2007, 04:28 AM

Maybe they were checking wind direction ;)

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Yes, nothing keeps the pacing of a film going like everybody stopping to wait for a character in the bathroom.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Han: "And it's going to cost you something extra. Forty-seven, all in advance."
Luke: "For-ty sev-en meellion dollars?!?"

Threepio: "But it appears you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor."
[Leia enters]
Luke: "Leia?"
Han: "Leia! "
Leia: "So, you boys wizzed on the electric fence, eh?"

Han: "And I thought they smelled bad... on the outside. No, sir. I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

Luke: "I can't... it's too big."
Yoda: "You eediot! "

Mad Slanted Powers
08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
This would explain the Ren & Stimpy references in the X-Wing computer game.