PDA

View Full Version : USS Gerald Ford?

Phantom-like Menace
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I hadn't looked in some time to see what name was being chosen for the US Navy's CVN-78. As far as I'm concerned, US carriers should be named for early aviation pioneers, famous warships, famous battles. Maybe I'll accept the occasional beloved president who either died during war or was assassinated (grudging allowance of Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy), and I'll admit I find the story of Shangri-La cool enough to be okay with that.

But I'm getting sick of carriers being named only for random people as has been the case since 19-freaking-68! It has been forty-two years since a carrier has been named properly as far as I'm concerned. What ship was named properly in 1968? Ironically, the America, a name veterans from that ship petitioned to have given to CVN-78. Finally they were going to get carrier names back on the right track. But no, let's thumb our noses at both veterans groups and convention and name it after President Freaking Gerald Ford. Go **** yourself Mr. Secretary of the Navy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gerald_R._Ford_%28CVN-78%29

JimJamBonds
07-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Its not exactly the Sec. of the Navy's fault.

Senator John Warner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Warner) of Virginia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia) originally proposed an amendment to a defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act)spending bill declaring that CVN-78 "shall be named the U.S.S. Gerald Ford,"[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gerald_R._Ford_%28CVN-78%29#_note-2) while President Ford was still alive. The final version signed into law by President George W. Bush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush) on October 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_17), 2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gerald_R._Ford_%28CVN-78%29#_note-3) declared only that " is the sense of Congress that ... CVN-78 should be named the U.S.S. [I]Gerald R. Ford."[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gerald_R._Ford_%28CVN-78%29#_note-4) Since such "sense of" language is typically non-binding and does not carry the force of law,[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gerald_R._Ford_%28CVN-78%29#_note-5) the Navy was not required to name the ship after President Ford.

Not only is this ship named after Ford but this class of ships will be named after him.

Phantom-like Menace
07-23-2007, 02:19 AM
It is the Secretary of the Navy's fault. Congress has no binding powers in this matter. In fact, all three branches of the government, legistative, judicial and executive can ask him to name a ship any given name and he is under no obligation to pay them any attention whatsoever.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 03:09 AM
*bangs head against desk* Ugh! Why Jerry Ford? The only president in the 20th century not to be elected to the office of president or VP by the people, and the guy was at best a lame duck. So naming a proud ship of the US Naval fleet after a complete doofus seems utterly ridiculous and vaguely insulting. Heck, even a garbage scow named after Ford would have been an insult to garbage scows. I feel bad for the sailors who have to serve on her, there's no dignity in saying you're serving aboard the "USS Jerry Ford". We should have a law in place like we do for our money saying a naval vessel can't be named after a president who has been alive in the past 20 years.

pbarnard
07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
And top it off, wasn't Carter the one who was in the Navy??? Maybe it'll spring a leak...

BountyHunterScum
07-23-2007, 04:09 PM
And top it off, wasn't Carter the one who was in the Navy??? Maybe it'll spring a leak...

I hope the Carter ship sinks. lol

Blue2th
07-23-2007, 05:31 PM
I hope the Carter ship sinks. lol

Yeah but that boat is powered on peanut diesel oil.

I think Carter was a submariner in the Navy, so it would be fitting for it to at least submerge.

Phantom-like Menace
07-23-2007, 05:48 PM
*bangs head against desk* Ugh! Why Jerry Ford? The only president in the 20th century not to be elected to the office of president or VP by the people, and the guy was at best a lame duck. So naming a proud ship of the US Naval fleet after a complete doofus seems utterly ridiculous and vaguely insulting. Heck, even a garbage scow named after Ford would have been an insult to garbage scows. I feel bad for the sailors who have to serve on her, there's no dignity in saying you're serving aboard the "USS Jerry Ford". We should have a law in place like we do for our money saying a naval vessel can't be named after a president who has been alive in the past 20 years.

Yeah, that too.

Well Ford was a Republican, and the President is a Republican who has a Republican Secretary of the Navy. In lieu of tears, they named a warship after him.

Rocketboy
07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Maybe they'll dock it next to the USS Homer Simpson.

BountyHunterScum
07-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah but that boat is powered on peanut diesel oil.

I think Carter was a submariner in the Navy, so it would be fitting for it to at least submerge.

Sh-- the Carter is a Seawolf class sub! Bullsh--!!!!!! It's powered by micro global warming.lol

2-1B
07-23-2007, 07:57 PM
USS SSG is a better idea than this.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Jerry Ford was in the Navy as well as Jimmy Carter (who was a submariner). Ford served in WWII as a navigator on an aircraft carrier, while Carter wasn't old enough to fight during the big one and joined after the war.

2-1B
07-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Ford served in WWII as a navigator on an aircraft carrier

That's what your uncle told you.

;)

Blue2th
07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Sh-- the Carter is a Seawolf class sub! Bullsh--!!!!!! It's powered by micro global warming.lol

I'll bet thars some kinda thermo-nukular device on it too.

JimJamBonds
07-23-2007, 11:32 PM

Yes Carter was in the Navy he however has a sub (and like Ford a that class of subs) named after him.

Luuuuuuke
07-24-2007, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't want to be a poor shmuck on the USS Chevy Chase, err, Gerald Ford. First day out it would probably bump into an ice berg and sink.

BountyHunterScum
07-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I'll bet thars some kinda thermo-nukular device on it too.

I think they cloned Gore and stuck him in the reactor, his non-stop talking provides energy for lengthy trips.

mabudonicus
07-24-2007, 01:17 PM
HOLY COW, good one sir, damn, THAT was funny Bro, and right under the radar somehows, may I add :beard: Iso & Baws
Ol Caesar hit the nail on the head there

pbarnard
07-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Wait, what was the name of that carrier of the guy who forgot everything, brain became pudding...not Ford...

BountyHunterScum
07-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Wait, what was the name of that carrier of the guy who forgot everything, brain became pudding...not Ford...

Ronald Reagan.

2-1B
07-25-2007, 01:59 AM
HOLY COW, good one sir, damn, THAT was funny Bro, and right under the radar somehows, may I add :beard: Iso & Baws
Ol Caesar hit the nail on the head there

Even more under the radar is the way I read your "good one sir" in a 2-1B voice. lol

JediTricks
07-25-2007, 03:40 PM

;)NICELY DONE! :D Does that mean Jerry's a Sith Lord?

I wouldn't want to be a poor shmuck on the USS Chevy Chase, err, Gerald Ford. First day out it would probably bump into an ice berg and sink.Loved that, hilarious. Then the crew would make it to the lifeboats and all yell in unison "Live, from the Atlantic Ocean, it's Saturday Night!"

Ronald Reagan.The actor?!? :p

Reagan is at least considered a great Republican figure to the party, so it's no surprise he'd get an airport and an aircraft carrier, but who is Ford to them? He's an embarrassment, he fell down Air Force One's stairs on national TV, he made them look bad by pardoning Nixon, and he was attacked by a rabbit.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
USS "Tug" Benson

JimJamBonds
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
The actor?!? :p

And well done yourself sir!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-26-2007, 03:00 AM
When he died, there was some praise for him. It seems he got a bad rap with all of the clumsiness stuff and the pardoning of Nixon. He wasn't exactly in an enviable position. He wasn't elected President. He wasn't even elected Vice-President. He had to take office after a great scandal that forced Nixon to resign. He was President at the end of the Vietnam war. After all that, Carter still did not defeat him by a large margin in the 1976 election.

I don't have a problem with a ship being named after him. He served honorably in the Navy during World War II. He served in the House of Representatives for 24 years, eight as minority leader. He eventually became President of the United States. With his recent passing, this seems to be a good way to honor his service.

BountyHunterScum
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
USS "Tug" Benson

USS Ronald Reagan, CVN-76.

Phantom-like Menace
07-27-2007, 01:24 AM
When he died, there was some praise for him.

Yea, but unless you pretty much murdered people in cold blood, people fall all over themselves for the opportunity to treat your death like you're late and great instead of just late.

BountyHunterScum
07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
NICELY DONE! :D Does that mean Jerry's a Sith Lord?

Loved that, hilarious. Then the crew would make it to the lifeboats and all yell in unison "Live, from the Atlantic Ocean, it's Saturday Night!"

Reagan is at least considered a great Republican figure to the party, so it's no surprise he'd get an airport and an aircraft carrier, but who is Ford to them? He's an embarrassment, he fell down Air Force One's stairs on national TV, he made them look bad by pardoning Nixon, and he was attacked by a rabbit.

Since I was too young to remember any of that, I don't give a s**t. :D

El Chuxter
08-02-2007, 01:18 AM
I bet it falls off an airplane.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Please tell me there's no USS Nixon out there.

2-1B
08-02-2007, 08:27 PM

And well done yourself sir!

Will this aircraft carrier be powered by 1 point 21 jigawatts ? ? ?

DarthQuack
08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
What the hell's a jigawatt??!?!?

2-1B
08-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm sure that in 2007, plutonium is sold in every corner drug store, but here in 1955 it's a little hard to come by. DarthQuack, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you're stuck here!

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 09:23 PM
And well done yourself sir!I am SOOOO glad that reference played, I actually spent a moment in my head debating whether I needed to carry it through, damn young people not getting awesome references!

I don't have a problem with a ship being named after him. He served honorably in the Navy during World War II. With his recent passing, this seems to be a good way to honor his service.Yeah, you know who else did that? 4 million other Navy servicemen who served honorably in WW2 yet DIDN'T get a ship named after them.

Since I was too young to remember any of that, I don't give a s**t. :DYes, it's a good thing the past has nothing to do with the present, or we'd be in real deep **** with that attitude. :p

I bet it falls off an airplane.No, even worse, in the ultimate turn of ironies, planes are going to be falling off the USS Gerald Ford! They'll be parked at the edge and all of a sudden, off they'll go, right into the briny deep.

Will this aircraft carrier be powered by 1 point 21 jigawatts ? ? ?Niiiice! Actually, she'll be powered by 2 nuclear generators, so... yes!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Yeah, you know who else did that? 4 million other Navy servicemen who served honorably in WW2 yet DIDN'T get a ship named after them. How many of those 4 million were President of the United States? To me, it seems somewhat traditional to name vessels after presidents. Someday there will be one named after Clinton, and conservatives will throw a similar fit. Then there will be one named for G.W. Bush and liberals will complain.

JimJamBonds
08-05-2007, 11:32 PM
How many of those 4 million were President of the United States? To me, it seems somewhat traditional to name vessels after presidents. Someday there will be one named after Clinton, and conservatives will throw a similar fit. Then there will be one named for G.W. Bush and liberals will complain.

I'd say the presidental name thing is rather new, I don't ever remember hearing about the USS Grover Cleveland.

El Chuxter
08-06-2007, 12:52 AM
That's 'cause Grover Cleveland sucks.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2007, 01:00 AM
I'd say the presidental name thing is rather new, I don't ever remember hearing about the USS Grover Cleveland.

Somewhat new. Perhaps reviving an old tradition.

U.S. military vessels named after presidents. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._military_vessels_named_after_Presiden ts)

Here is a vessel named after an enlisted man - USS James E. Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_James_E._Williams_%28DDG-95%29).

If wikipedia is right, Grover Cleveland, during the Civil War, "was one of the few men who possessed the resources to avoid Lincoln's controversial draft order of 1863 by hiring another man to take his place."

El Chuxter
08-06-2007, 01:10 AM
There should be a USS William Henry Harrison. It would be the shortest aircraft carrier in service.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2007, 01:41 AM
There should be a USS William Henry Harrison. It would be the shortest aircraft carrier in service.

It would look something like this (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1510710/posts). I came across it while I was looking to see if there was a ship named after Clinton. Then I clicked the link and realized it's a joke.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 01:45 AM
How many of those 4 million were President of the United States? To me, it seems somewhat traditional to name vessels after presidents. Someday there will be one named after Clinton, and conservatives will throw a similar fit. Then there will be one named for G.W. Bush and liberals will complain.Jerry Ford wasn't a real president, he sat in the office but nobody elected him and he didn't do much presidential. His greatest legacy seems to be his wife's substance abuse clinic. He's not a "great president" or even a good one, he's barely a memorable one. And we don't have ships named after Lyndon Johnson or Herbert Hoover or Calvin Coolidge. Let's get the USS William Howard Taft launched first, the country's fattest boat, then we'll talk. Personally, I'm sick of this pedestaling of recent historical US figures, even the Kennedy thing is getting stale, but at least they have an honest place in US history, where does Jerry really fit in?

That's 'cause Grover Cleveland sucks.And Jerry Ford is better than Grover Cleveland? :D

"Taft could kick Warren G. Harding's butt!"
"But Truman could bomb Harding back to the stone age, so he's the king of the schoolyard!"

El Chuxter
08-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Oh, come on, JT, you surely remember The Official Cell Block Political Thread, complete with its one assertion ("Grover Cleveland sucks!").

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2007, 02:32 AM
Jerry Ford wasn't a real president, he sat in the office but nobody elected him and he didn't do much presidential. His greatest legacy seems to be his wife's substance abuse clinic. He's not a "great president" or even a good one, he's barely a memorable one. And we don't have ships named after Lyndon Johnson or Herbert Hoover or Calvin Coolidge. But we do have ships named after Carter and G.H.W. Bush.
Let's get the USS William Howard Taft launched first, the country's fattest boat, then we'll talk. Personally, I'm sick of this pedestaling of recent historical US figures, even the Kennedy thing is getting stale, but at least they have an honest place in US history, where does Jerry really fit in? So, it seems to be an argument of "it's not fair". Yes, there are plenty of other names the ship could have been given. A lot of people also thought that Martin Luther King Day shouldn't be a national holiday. Now that Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays are combined into President's Day, the only other national holiday named for an individual is Columbus Day (though I guess Christmas might count as well). That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a day. The difference is that there are only so many days in a year for holidays, but they will keep building new ships.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 02:39 AM
But we do have ships named after Carter and G.H.W. Bush. So, it seems to be an argument of "it's not fair".No, it's an argument of "3 wrongs don't make a right". :thumbsup:

Yes, there are plenty of other names the ship could have been given. A lot of people also thought that Martin Luther King Day shouldn't be a national holiday. Now that Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays are combined into President's Day, the only other national holiday named for an individual is Columbus Day (though I guess Christmas might count as well). That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a day. The difference is that there are only so many days in a year for holidays, but they will keep building new ships.Yeah, it's a good thing there's nothing else to name ships after like states and cities and important battle sites and elected officials and mythical creatures and nautical terms and Star Wars characters. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2007, 02:44 AM
No, it's an argument of "3 wrongs don't make a right". :thumbsup:No, but three lefts do. :yes:

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 03:53 AM
No, but three lefts do. :yes:
Not when Gerald Ford tried it, then it was 3 lefts making a flat-on-your-face. ;)

JimJamBonds
08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
If wikipedia is right, Grover Cleveland, during the Civil War, "was one of the few men who possessed the resources to avoid Lincoln's controversial draft order of 1863 by hiring another man to take his place."

No he wasn't the only person to do that.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2007, 09:33 PM
No he wasn't the only person to do that.
That's why it said "one of the few".

Phantom-like Menace
08-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Someday there will be one named after Clinton, and conservatives will throw a similar fit.

Clinton and Ford could be Whigs or Dixiecrats as far as I'm concerned. They're both stupid names for aircraft carriers, and this trend has relegated the names that don't suck and suck hard to amphibious assault ships. Why can't they be named for presidents?

Blue2th
08-15-2007, 02:16 AM
I liked the good old days when they named ships after things or battles like USS:
Enterprise
Lexington
Hornet (should have called it Hornet's nest)
Saratoga
Yorktown
Exceter (no that was Star Trek)
Intrepid
Heck I even liked Taffy 3 (though that might have been a task force)
At least they named battleships after states, though they started naming subs like that because there's no battleships that aren't in mothballs or floating museums.
I think it was only little destroyers that were named after people at one time and there were no ships named after presidents. They should have kept it that way.

TeeEye7
08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I like the sound of the...

USS Ted Nugent

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 09:01 AM
I like the sound of the...

USS Ted Nugent
I'm sold. Should we fire up the petition campaign?:)

TeeEye7
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
I'll be the first to sign! :thumbsup:

Old Fossil
08-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I think it was only little destroyers that were named after people at one time and there were no ships named after presidents. They should have kept it that way.

I thought ships like destroyers and cruisers were named after cities, like the USS Indianapolis.

Blue2th
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Ahh, Ted Nugent. Another flag waving gung ho draft dodger. He even moved down to Crawford Texas for a little while. Parades around the stage with Old Glory.
Yet when his number was up to go to Vietnam, he soiled his pants, ate nothing but candy bars and soda pop, didn't take a bath for a month. They told him to get out because he was unfit. A smart one that Ted. Maybe name one of those Stealth ships after him. :eek

Old Fossil. Cruisers which are a little smaller than a battleship, but alot bigger than a destroyer had city names.

2-1B
08-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Maybe Ted could have free reign to bang uderage chicks on his own carrier.

Blue2th
08-19-2007, 03:26 PM
There's a (underage) girl in every port on the USS Ted Nugent.

Fortunately on the USS "You can't grill it till you kill it" Nugent, it only goes to battle and shoots at the enemy when it doesn't shoot back. Likes to sail around tooting it's horn at the Axis of evil, then sends in the real deal.

I can see it now. Hell of a ship. They changed the name from the USS Chickenhawk. (I thought they put it in mothballs) There's big old partys there. Lots of rock'n'roll. Lots of draft dodgers there. They were originaly going to do the "Mission Accomplished" party there. But I'm afraid the USS Chickenhawk, I mean the USS Ted Nugent was on it's world tour and not available. So they used the USS Abraham Lincoln.

I think the USS Ted Nugent is used for mostly public relations (propaganda)campaigns. ;)

Phantom-like Menace
08-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Heck I even liked Taffy 3 (though that might have been a task force)

Yep, in the Philippines during WWII.

Slicker
12-26-2008, 11:22 PM
I liked the good old days when they named ships after things or battles like USS:
Enterprise
Lexington
Hornet (should have called it Hornet's nest)
Saratoga
Yorktown
Exceter (no that was Star Trek)
Intrepid
Now Curisers tend to be named after major battles (we've got the Shiloh and Cowpens here) and Destoryers are named after people (we've got the McCain (the Senators papa), the Mustin, the McCampbell, etc.)

I personally don't agree with the Gerald Ford either. Ford just died at the right moment to have a ship named after him that's all.

Blue2th
12-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Dang Slick, you're pulling out the old golden shovel for this one. lol

I can't believe the things I was sayin' a few paragraphs up about old Ted. (pent up anger) All true though. I still like his music and know quite a few of his songs, but got mad at him waving his flag and guns onstage, bad mouthing our Prez-elect (now) he even did this here in Albuquerque, which made me double mad.
Especially when I knew his real history. Read all of that from his own mouth in his interview with the magazine High Times quite a few years ago.

Anyways, nothing wrong with naming Carriers after Presidents. Worthy Presidents though.

Slicker
12-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't know what got into me yesterday! I did a search for something and all of these threads came up.

sith_killer_99
12-28-2008, 02:16 AM
But I'm getting sick of carriers being named only for random people as has been the case since 19-freaking-68! It has been forty-two years since a carrier has been named properly as far as I'm concerned.What about the naming of the USS New York, built with steel from the twin towers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_York_(LPD-21)

Phantom-like Menace
12-29-2008, 03:22 AM
What about the naming of the USS New York, built with steel from the twin towers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_York_(LPD-21) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_York_%28LPD-21%29)

As far as my complaint about aircraft carriers goes, USS New York is outside of my concern since it's not a true aircraft carrier. Otherwise, I'd just as soon they keep city names to cruisers. A cruiser named USS New York would have been just as much an honor. I'm fine, though, with the occasional exception to the rule anyway.

Slicker
01-03-2009, 01:23 AM
I really wish they'd go back to the WWII names and have a Hornet, Wasp, Saratoga, Yorktown, etc. (we've got an Enterprise...at least for the time being...).

Mad Slanted Powers
01-03-2009, 01:47 AM
I really wish they'd go back to the WWII names and have a Hornet, Wasp, and Bumblebee! And then the ship turns into a ROBOT! GO NAVY!

sith_killer_99
01-03-2009, 02:46 AM
and Bumblebee! And then the ship turns into a ROBOT! GO NAVY!

ROTFLMF'nAO:thumbsup::laugh:

:Pirate:

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I really wish they'd go back to the WWII names and have a Hornet, Wasp, Saratoga, Yorktown, etc. (we've got an Enterprise...at least for the time being...).
Agreed, those names were cool. Battlegrounds and hurty animals are way more imposing than old dead white guys.

Slicker
01-10-2009, 06:18 AM
hurty animals.I don't know why but that stuck me as being funny as hell and worthy of a "LOL".

Blue2th
01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
The Navy is commissioning the Aircraft Carrier George H.W. Bush as I am writing this. I'm watching it on C-Span.

They did have a WWII TBF Avenger Torpedo Bomber (like the one he flew) fly-by which was cool.

Slicker
01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Carp! I totally forgot that was today. Dang it I wish I could've seen that.

JediTricks
01-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know why but that stuck me as being funny as hell and worthy of a "LOL".Thank you, that's what I was going for. :thumbsup:

The Navy is commissioning the Aircraft Carrier George H.W. Bush as I am writing this. I'm watching it on C-Span.There should be regulations about having that much free time. ;)

Where's the USS Indefatigable??? That's a cool name! Can't fatigue that ship! (Can't pronounce it either) The british have some decent non-standard naval vessel names.

Blue2th
01-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Yeah huh.

Pic of the Avenger fly-by. Would have been cool to see an actual torpedo drop demonstration. You know they'da liked it. :bandit:

http://www.daylife.com/photo/05Ge6ynamD6FL/George_W._Bush

Slicker
01-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Where's the USS Indefatigable??? That's a cool name! Can't fatigue that ship! (Can't pronounce it either) The british have some decent non-standard naval vessel names.I will definitely give the British that. They had probably some of the best names (Indomitable, Formidable, Dreadnought, Invincible, Devastation, Implacable, and Revenge ) and some of the worst (Pickle, Beagle, Prince Albert). These are the ones that come to mind but I know they had many great names.

I guess it's just not PC anymore to name ships like this anymore. We don't even have cool names for operations. During WWII there was Overlord, Punishment, and Barbarossa. Now we've got Enduring Freedom and Just Cause. Those just don't instill fear.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-11-2009, 02:25 AM
I guess it's just not PC anymore to name ships like this anymore. We don't even have cool names for operations. During WWII there was Overlord, Punishment, and Barbarossa. Now we've got Enduring Freedom and Just Cause. Those just don't instill fear.We need to haves names like Operation WhoopAss and Operation Smackdown.

Slicker
01-11-2009, 04:23 AM
We need to haves names like Operation WhoopAss and Operation Smackdown.Exactly! Or if you're gonna be patriotic go with "Operation Red, White, and Blue A** Hammerin'"

JimJamBonds
01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Exactly! Or if you're gonna be patriotic go with "Operation Red, White, and Blue A** Hammerin'"

I think thats a name of a movie.

Slicker
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I think thats a name of a movie.Starring Ron Jeremy of course...

JediTricks
01-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I will definitely give the British that. They had probably some of the best names (Indomitable, Formidable, Dreadnought, Invincible, Devastation, Implacable, and Revenge ) and some of the worst (Pickle, Beagle, Prince Albert). These are the ones that come to mind but I know they had many great names.Nice choices of bad names. I didn't know the HMS Beagle was a military ship. The Pickle is worse, apparently it used to be a civilian ship named "Sting", and they changed it to pickle when they bought her!

I guess it's just not PC anymore to name ships like this anymore. We don't even have cool names for operations. During WWII there was Overlord, Punishment, and Barbarossa. Now we've got Enduring Freedom and Just Cause. Those just don't instill fear.True that. Operation Earnest Will - late '80s operation to protect Kuwati oil tankers. Operation Golden Pheasant - '88 deployment into Honduras against the Sandanistas. Then again, "Operation Urgent Fury" ('83) was our invasion of Grenada, so the cool name led to an operation that wasn't as exciting as its name. A really good example of names getting crappier is Operation Sharp Edge (1990), an evacuation of Americans from Liberia, because 13 years later our forces had to do the same thing again only under the name "Operation Shining Express".

Slicker
01-12-2009, 12:12 AM
There were a fair share of bad WWII names but they at least had some pretty badarsed ones too.

Golden Pheasant is just sad. It's like they looked at the bookends on the bookshelf and saw it and thought it would be a good name.

JediTricks
01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
To me, it sounds like a signature dish from a Korean restaurant. :p

Apparently, it's a somewhat popular name for bars and skangy bar-type restaurants, according to this google search I just did. It's also an uninteresting bird.

Phantom-like Menace
01-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Well, the elder Bush was more famous for bailing out of planes than he was for flying them, at least today. But he did keep some submariners gainfully employed. I saw part of the commissioning.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-12-2009, 01:34 AM
To me, it sounds like a signature dish from a Korean restaurant. :pOr the name of the restaurant itself.

It's also an uninteresting bird.But it is a pretty bird. Well, the male is anyway, as is usually the case with birds. I've only seen a ring-necked pheasant.