PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead: Book of the Dead

Wolfwood319
02-07-2002, 08:39 PM
I know a lot of people here are Evil Dead fans, so just in case anyone was interested, they are releasing a special edition of Evil Dead, the flick that started it all.

Go to this link for an early review and pics of the case (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=44968)

Its absolutely the most incredible DVD I've ever dreamt of. For deadite-fans or people who have never seen the movie, I highly reccomend this.

Rollo Tomassi
02-07-2002, 08:51 PM
I think this series has been released on DVD several times. Each movie has had four or five different versions on DVD already. Army of Darkness alone has had the original bare bones Universal edition, the AnchorBay 2-disc version. The AB Director's cut version. And now they are releasing another special version later this year.

Evil Dead II has come out in a "R" rated, unrated, special Evil Dead/Evil Dead II double sided disc, I believe there was a tin version and one other.

I don't remember all the Evil Dead versions because I dont like the original that much.

it seems like somebody is fleecing the fans of this cult series...

Beast
02-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Yeah it's going to be a nice set, other then the fact someone at Renissance pictures, which can only be one of three people. Supposedly either Bruce Cambell, Sam Raimi, or Ron Tapert decided that at the last minute they did want the "Within the Woods" original short film included on the disc, because they would have to give Tom Sullivan credit for the special effects. :(

We'll never know who exactly it was though and the true story behind it, because whoever it was that stopped the release of "Within the Woods" also made Anchor Bay sign a non-disclosure agreement. Anchor Bay is sorry for it, but they said that what is causing the short from being included will never be cleared up, so there was no sense to delay the discs. :(

It's still gonna be a great set, even without the short film. It's the very first time since the film was shown theatrical that the movie has been properly matted for widescreen. All the other releases were the open matte version, and Sam Raimi always wanted it shown in the intended 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio. So, while he was busy doing Spiderman, he has Bruce Cambell supervise the new widescreen transfer.

The set retails for 49.99, but if you pre-order it now you can get it for 29.99 at Suncoasts and Media Plays. It comes out March 5th. :) I can't wait to pick this up, one of my guilty pleasure films.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-07-2002, 10:23 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen the movies, I highly recommend seeing Evil Dead 2 first, then see the original Evil Dead. Finish it off with Army of Darkness.

Darkman is a must see if you enjoy those three films and Brisco County Jr., a television series, is awesome for your Bruce Campbell fix, if you can find tapes of it someplace.

Since I have yet to see a "bad" film from Sam Raimi, my expectations are high for Spiderman.

SithDroid
02-07-2002, 11:02 PM
This set is going to be awesome. I already have mine on pre-order. I have Evil Dead II, the second incarnation of it on DVD, which I believe is far better that the first release. As for Army of Darkness. I have held out on that one because there are so many incarnations of it on DVD and when it was originally released I didn't own a DVD player yet. I have been trying to get a copy of the two-disc set (includes Universal Edition and the Director's Cut) on ebay, but they usually sell for $50-$100. Man I wish I would have picked it up way back then. Oh well, I guess my 3 versions of Army of Darkness on VHS will have to do for now. Did I mention I have the Evil Dead Limited Collector's Edition on VHS signed by the man Bruce Campbell himself.

Beast
02-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I have been trying to get a copy of the two-disc set (includes Universal Edition and the Director's Cut) on ebay, but they usually sell for $50-$100. Man I wish I would have picked it up way back then.

If you just want the DVD's that come in the 2-disc set they are avaliable sepratly. Just pick up Anchor Bay's (Not universal's) basic edition, which is disc 1. And then their newly released Bootleg Edition that is disc 2. You get both for around 15.00 a peice and you have the 2-disc set, without the expensive price tag. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
02-08-2002, 01:18 PM
I got the Evil Dead 2 DVD that came in the tin case, and the original director's cut of AOD with the cool UK cover. I think my favorite aspect of the ED DVDS are the commentary. They have the funniest commentary than any other DVD out there. Drop dead funny.

They have released a lot of versions of the series, though. But I've waited for this Evil Dead: Book of the Dead edition since I met Bruce Campbell over the summer and he told me about it.

I also recomend Bruce Campbell's book, its really funny.

SithDroid
02-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks If you just want the DVD's that come in the 2-disc set they are avaliable sepratly. Just pick up Anchor Bay's (Not universal's) basic edition, which is disc 1. And then their newly released Bootleg Edition that is disc 2. You get both for around 15.00 a peice and you have the 2-disc set, without the expensive price tag.

I realize they are sold seperatly, but I don't like the art on the Anchor Bay version(the one with Evil Ash's face all torn up when he is screaming because Ash is chopping him up.) Plus I would rather have them in one case, but eventually I will probably go out and buy them seperatly.

Beast
02-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I realize they are sold seperatly, but I don't like the art on the Anchor Bay version(the one with Evil Ash's face all torn up when he is screaming because Ash is chopping him up.) Plus I would rather have them in one case, but eventually I will probably go out and buy them seperatly.

You can buy a 2-disc case on-line, and then download a print out a copy of the original cover art. Hometheaterforum.com has links in their software section to places you can download cover art. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks