PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Track of Collections

stevez0r
07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I did a search and wasn't able to find anything recent on how to keep track of my collection. I know my collection is small (2) but I plan on having a large 30th Anniversary collection. I would like to be able to keep track of my growing collection, but I'm not able to find any good programs. I'm also on a Mac which probably harder to find any such program. Is there anything online to keep track of collections or even a program for Mac's? How you guys keep track of your large collections?

darko666
07-26-2007, 04:51 PM
i just designed an online checklist (http://re-animateinc.741.com/SWList.html) for the figures i have and what i still need. it's the basic line and exclusives only. you could also make a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel, or just go here (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/#basic) and save a copy of each checklist(in the Visual Guides section) as a PDF. i also use a Mac, so you shouldn't have any problems making a list for yourself.

jedi master sal
07-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm on a MAC as well and use Excel. The original spreadsheet I had for this was on a PC, but since Microsoft has been available for MAC for awhile now, I converted it.

Mine is set up into categories something like this:
Conatiner/Name/Type/Toy line/Manufacturer/Quantity/Movie/Condition/Notes

To break that down:
Container: Since most of my stuff is in tubs or boxes, this is where I give th container a name depending on what is in it. Mostly it's "MIXED" box (whatever the number I'm up to). Some conatiners however are specific to movie or just Gentle Giant Busts, etc.
Name: Rather straight forward, it's the name of the item, be it a figure, battle pack, vehicle, etc. What ever the name is on the packaging is the name of the item.
Type: This is where I denote if it's a figure, ship, playset, bust, 12 inch figure, printed materials such as books, comics, magazines, etc.
Toy line: this is mostly for Hasbro stuff since there are many toylines for SW. Example: Galactic Heroes, Unleashed, POTF2, TAC
Manufacturer: This helps to denote for instance if a 12 inch figure is Hasbro or Sideshow.
Quantity: Often I get multiples so instead of listing them each, I'll just add them to the quantity. This is helpful when I've got a "troops" box. For those I might only have 2-5 entries for the container, but there's a couple hundred figures. (Cuts down on searching for info this way and makes it faster to add up totals)
Movie: Again another obvious one. Whatever movie the item was in is denoted here. If it is EU (Other than Clone Wars Animated or Non-animated) it is noted as EU. If it's Clone Wars then it's noted as CW, in animated Clone Wars then CW-A.
Condition: This is where I put if the item is loose, loose w/accessories, mint on card, mint in box, etc. In the case of multiples where the condition is different for some of them, I always put the highest level of condition the items are in. For instance if I have 20 clone troopers for the entry and 3 are mint while 17 are loose, I'll put "MOC" in the entry for condition, but then in the notes I'll break it down what the exact condition is.
Notes: Just as mentioned above, this also includes if for instance I have a figure that was in a battle pack, but I only have that figure and not the rest of the battle pack for that container. Example: I got an extra Mace trooper from another collector. So that was "noted". Often when I know there will be a note for an item, I'll put "See Notes" after the title of the item in that slot so I know to look at the notes for anything special about the item. The notes section also includes the number of and edition size of a mini bust for example.

I have found after several years of cataloging this way that those sections cover everything I need to document.

It took me a long time to get my collection inventoried, since at the point I started inventorying it, I had already several years worth of toys. Now I'm usually up on it and am no more than a month or two away from being completely up to date on it. (Though right now I think I'm about three months without updating the inventory, but I have a 3-day wekend, so I'm prolly going to do some of this, this weekend.)

Good luck!
Hope this helps.

Oh and just recently, I've begun to add a "Value" section to the spreadsheet. I'm not in this for the value, but should something happen to me, my fiancee needs to know what she should expect to get for each item. She knows not to be "taken" for the money on this stuff and my adding the value to the items will help better guide her, should the time come. (Hopefully not for many MANY years!)

-Sal

Kidhuman
07-26-2007, 06:21 PM
I also use Excel to keep track of my stuff. Just copy and paste the checklist we have into a notepad and import the data to a spreadsheet. Simple and effective.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-26-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm on a Mac as well. I'm reluctant to spend the money on Microsoft Office, so I am still using the database in my old Appleworks program. However, it is not OS X compatible. Since I'd rather have Excel if I was going to have a spreadsheet, I haven't bought the new version of Appleworks either.

My database has fields for the name, UPC, Store Purchased, Price Paid, and a field to classify it. Originally this was what card it was on, but since I have vehicles and multi-packs as well, that's not an entirely accurate description of the field. I've lumped all vehicles together, and did the same with multi-packs. I could probably add another field for type (figure, vehicle, multi-pack, etc.), and then have the separate field for which line it is in or card it is on.

I also have checklists from Jedi Temple Archives that I have printed out. However, I can only do that after the each line is over and everything is on it.

stevez0r
07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I also use Excel to keep track of my stuff. Just copy and paste the checklist we have into a notepad and import the data to a spreadsheet. Simple and effective.Can you give me the link for the checklist?

Kidhuman
07-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Can you give me the link for the checklist?

http://www.forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=33884

There ya go.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Open Office works on Mac, I believe: http://www.openoffice.org/

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I'll have to check that out. I've come across it before. I think I did try Thinkfree once, but I think that is one where the program is online. I didn't like the way that worked.

Edit - Now I remember. I was going to download OpenOffice once but I needed to install an X11 windowing environment first and didn't feeling like messing with it at the time and never got back to it.

SirSteve
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
What kind of features would you want out of an "online checklist"?

Kidhuman
08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I like how you had it a few years ago Steve. It ws simple and straight foward. Broken down by line and year.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I like how you had it a few years ago Steve. It ws siple and staright foward. Broken down by line and year.

The online checklist was how I first came to this site. I used it in conjunction with my own database to see what I was missing. I think the only problem with it was that some items remained on there that were rumors or prototypes, so it gave the impression there were holes in my collection. It also had the ability for you to get more detailed as to which version you had of a card, but that made things a bit more confusing for me when I tried it. It seems that it didn't always save the info if I didn't do things in a particular way.

Creating something like what you had before probably wouldn't be necessary. That was an online database where people could save their checklist. A checklist people could easily access and printout would be sufficient. As I mentioned, I currently have printouts of the checklists from Jedi Temple Archives. When I want more detailed info, I can look things up on RS.

SirSteve
08-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Give me more... what other features would you want? Haves? Wants? Favorites? Price Guide? Marketplace? All under one system? What about the ability to share your collection with others? Stuff like that... if there is enough interest, maybe we can start on something for it... Now that I have 100% control, we could build it without other "things" getting in the way.

I currently have printouts of the checklists from Jedi Temple Archives. When I want more detailed info, I can look things up on RS.

What if we could give you all this but in one location?

Kidhuman
08-06-2007, 08:33 AM
They all sound like great additions to a check list Steve. Price Guide is a real nice feature, Haves Wants of course would be there. Feedback for trades and such would be cool to have there as well. Quantity(for army builders, etc) would be nice.

jedi master sal
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
They all sound like great additions to a check list Steve. Price Guide is a real nice feature, Haves Wants of course would be there. Feedback for trades and such would be cool to have there as well. Quantity(for army builders, etc) would be nice.

I agree. And Steve if you go back a page and see how I've set mine up. I'd like those categories included. Definitely a place for notes. If we can add in special info in the notes section like bust number, or that we got a piece from another collector, or that the quantity may ay 20 but 10 are loose and 10 are carded for examples, this would help to better define the specific listing.

-Sal

pbarnard
08-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Could you link pictures of the accessories included for loose figures? For the storage field could there be something not so "static" but more fill in your own blank to allow for where it is being displayed for loose collectors/dio displays? For me, I could say its and Tantive IV Stormtrooper, but its in a Death Star display or Endor etc.

All the other sound interesting because with my now abundant free time I'm going to do something to catalog my collection.

SirSteve
08-06-2007, 08:02 PM
These are great suggestions and what I want to hear. Keep them up and I need to see how many others would be interested in such a system.

jjreason
08-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I've recently been stressing out over not having my stuff inventoried - for insurance purposes, a list of figures I DON'T have isn't going to cut it.

I'd like to chime in about having photos of the item loose with the accessories laid out beside it and second the desire for that - that would be very useful.

To take it one step further, making the "printable" forms useful is an important thing - nothing more frustrating than trying to print and getting the banners, photos that don't look good, etc.

JON9000
08-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I think customizable views would be awesome, for example, I could pull up every "Vader" figure, or I could see every figure released in 2004, or every figure released on a green POTF card.

Wanna know what would really rule? the ability to check off your figures here at the site and save it either here or download the list with checks to your own machine. That would drive traffic as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Wanna know what would really rule? the ability to check off your figures here at the site and save it either here or download the list with checks to your own machine. That would drive traffic as well.The old checklist here had the ability to store your info. I don't know if it had the ability to save it to your own computer, and I can't recall how well any printouts worked.

Whatever ends up on it, the key is to make it easily navigable. Rebelscum's archives is a good reference point on that. The problem there, however, is having to navigate back out after looking at a figure in one line and then going to look at a figure in a different line. If you had a fixed frame or something that you could navigate like Windows Explorer, that would make it easier to go from one section to the next.

pbarnard
08-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I'd like to chime in about having photos of the item loose with the accessories laid out beside it and second the desire for that - that would be very useful.

To take it one step further, making the "printable" forms useful is an important thing - nothing more frustrating than trying to print and getting the banners, photos that don't look good, etc.

I don't know if this is feasible, but the printable or savable file could it be something in excel or access type formats? I use access all the time to generate the different sorts of data for people, and i know others use it similarly. This would allow a brief summary for insurance purposes where you have the item, cost, and whatever else the policy demands but have the online inventory be a full complete file.

SirSteve
08-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Anything else for this?

Lazer Brain
08-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Great! i would really like to see the Sirsteves check list again! that is why a signed up so long ago, the key would be the options for print outs. being able to print out your want,haves and trades sepratly would be 'Fan'tastic.
later

Jango Speck
08-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I've created a Filemaker template- makes searching/grouping by line/storage/name/release year, etc. very easy.

StbrianofMinneapolis
03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
I am on the verge of creating this kind of thing in Excel, but would like to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Has this idea come to pass yet? If not, here are my votes for a database.

1. Do it in Excel, with links to the individual figures here on this site. My preference is that it is something useable whther or not I am online. Rebelscum has an interesting database, but it takes way too long to load, we need an alternative to the online server issue. Pluss a simple text spread sheet prints easily compared to a massive program. Lets make this more of a small effective rebel base than a deathstar.

2. Organize it by the character's name and branch out from there. When a new Obi wan comes out, I want to be able to look at this checklist and compare all the Obi wans in my inventory to see if I need the new one.

3. Prices are not so important. Its all relative anyway, and I would just choose an approximate value of each figure anyway. Rebelscum bases their checklist on price, and online storage.

4. Avatar pictures would be great as long as they are small enough. Not essential though. It would be great if this file would fit in an average consumer email plan (10MB or less) Maybe popup pics?

5. use the auto sort feature for each column so I can see everything in POTF2 Cinema Scenes, ect...

6. If possible, make it a "programmed spreadsheet" that woulde tally the total figures plus an average cost of figure. If possible make it accomodate new additions to be added quarterly or biannually. (I know what I bought in the last couple months as opposed to five years ago.) I havent yet mastered Excel programming, forgive me if this is too presumptuous.

stillakid
03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I pay a guy named Eddie to keep track of everything. :smoker:

Jango Speck
03-30-2008, 09:45 PM
You want a lot for under 10MB. I don't think we should be emailing attachments that big, since most email filters will flag it or stop it from going through. My Filemaker database, with images for every item is up to 150 MB now. And that's just what I have, not a complete DB on everything ever made, although my collection does go back through every figure line in existence. An online thing is the best way, but someone has to create/host it.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
If you are referring to the Rebelscum photo archives, I don't recall having any trouble with those loading, but I'm on cable internet. It's been a while since I've been on dialup.

What I started to do was create web pages that listed the figures grouped how I wanted them, with links to their individual Rebelscum pages. In terms of being able to sort and organize, it would probably be better to do this in a spreadsheet or database and have the links in there.

I would just create a spreadsheet or database with the fields you want to use and start entering your items. You can leave a field open for a link. Then when you have time, you can look up a group of them and enter the links in.