PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons Movie

Kidhuman
07-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I just got back from seeing it and it was pretty funny. Alot like the Simpsons of old. I heard they brought back some old writers and if they did it showed. Some of the highlights was Marge swearing, Homer flipping people off and Bart doing some naked skateboarding.

I would give it an overall B+. It came a few years too late, but it was a good show none the less.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I've been mildly interested in seeing this, so it's good to hear it doesn't suck.

darko666
07-27-2007, 01:39 PM
saw it last night at a midnight showing and the theater was packed, 3 of them to be exact. i stuck with the show through the good seasons and bad ones(still better than the majority of crap on tv) and looked forward to the movie since i heard they were making it. i had my doubts, but i knew they got their original writers back, so that gave me hope. well, they didn't disappoint at all. the movie never felt long or short, it ran at a smooth pace. slowed down in the middle, although it doesn't ruin the movie, in fact the humour throughout is classic Simpsons and a lot of characters get great lines. just think of it as 3 episodes back to back, but each one being perfect. best movie of the summer so far, with Harry Potter coming in second. the crowd was enjoying it and constant uproars of laughter was heard throughout the showing.

sure the movie would have been great when they were at their prime, but this movie is The Simpsons at their prime. it was like the early 90's season all over again while watching this movie. about the only horrid thing last night was the awful Alvin and the Chipmunks trailer.

also, loved the fact that the main villain was vocied by the guy who also voiced Hank Scorpio.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
about the only horrid thing last night was the awful Alvin and the Chipmunks trailer.

also, loved the fact that the main villain was vocied by the guy who also voiced Hank Scorpio.

Ha, yeah, Brooks voiced Scorpio and the villian too. I leaned over to my friend early on and whispered, "Gentleman, this is Scorpio, I have the doomsday device" and then added, "in fact, I didn't even give you my coat!"

and that Alvin trailer was AWFUL. Poor Jason Lee.

Anyway, Saw a midnight showing last night and effin' LOVED it. Here is my glowing review I blogged:

Well, after nearly 20 years, 18 seasons, and 400 episodes, the long awaited movie of "The Simpsons" has finally arrived on the silver screen and believe me, it does not disappoint, at all. There has been criticism from fans and critics, myself included, that seasons 13-16 or so of the show just wasn't up to its usual caliber of greatness. And I really can't blame them as the show has been going on since I was a wee lad, it'd be hard as hell not to have some falters: Homer became too stupid for his own good and the show, in my opinion, relied on his antics too much. Don't get me wrong, Homer isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but his intentions are always pure and on the level, but they had made him too destructive purely for comedy sake and things just didn't float right with the fanbase. The last season or two showed signs of hope, bringing us episodes that reminded us of the vintage days intertwining witty social commentary with cultural references and crazy antics. So, the question is: does this flick bring us vintage classic simpsons or the iffy simpsons of late?

The answer: pure, hysterical vintage Simpsons goodness. The film opens with a showing of an Itchy and Scratchy flick, which the family is attending and causes Homer to shout out some hysterical lines regarding TV shows that are turned into films. From there, the all too familar opening music this time with a new intro of Springfield locales and citizens. After a crazy outbreak in church, thanks to Grandpa, Marge begins to worry, and worry she should. The plot centers on Lake Springfield, home to dumping and trash and Lisa's efforts to clean it up. She succeeds, but a new friend of Homer's threatens life in Springfield and the family soon finds themselves public enemy #1 and torn between a new life or saving their hometown. The humor in the flick ranges from the genius satirical commentary and pop culture references to the downright off the wall and raunchy. One scene very early in the film showed fans something we never thought we'd see and I kid you not, the ENTIRE theater gasped and then laughed hysterically; Hell, my friend Roben was sitting next to me and he damn near choked and snorted out his coke (the beverage, not the Lohan kind). There are only a handful of cameos, one featuring a hysterical homage to a movie about a huge ship that sunk and another cameo from one of the world's greatest actors. Homer is in fine form, meaning well, but letting his stomach and quick fix ideas get the best of him. However, the family struggle is felt with Marge and Bart too as Marge is tired of defending Homer who can't seem to control himself and Bart feels neglected by an almost absent father and finds solace in a certain diddly neighborino.

All in all, the movie downright hysterical with very few lapses or downpoints to bicker about. Hell, I was content during those parts as I was able to catch my breath and gather my thoughts. There are cameos from pretty much every single resident of Springfield and although not all of them are speaking roles, they're in there if you look hard enough. Be sure to stay during the credits as we get a very special Simpsons moment for the youngest family member. Plus, the cameo from the actor (i don't wanna spoil anything) returns and gives one of the funniest lines ever said by a celebrity, ever. And at the very end of the credits, you do a nice blip with the Squeaky Voiced Teen, *****ing about his new job and career choices. Easily up there with "Knocked Up" as the funniest films of the summer. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

General_Grievous
07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I thought it was okay. They used up all the really funny jokes at the beginning but it was still good. Better than the last six seasons combined. But I didn't think it was anything really spectacular. I had more fun at some of the other summer movies, but this one was still pretty good.

Kidhuman
07-27-2007, 05:04 PM
So, when you guys saw it, did the whole audience sing the Spider Pig song? They did here.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2007, 05:56 PM
So, when you guys saw it, did the whole audience sing the Spider Pig song? They did here.No, but I was the only one who replied "Hi, Dr. Nick" when he had his one-and-only tagline. The funniest part from the audience in my viewing was when the "To Be Continued" was shown, a woman yelled "What?!?" :pleased:

Interesting that Patty and Selma were "credited" to Julie's voice but didn't appear to speak, and odd that Mr. Wolfcastle wasn't there, at least as "himself."

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I caught it for a second time yesterday; that audience was less enthusiast than the first. Didn't really notice any other details, except in the pre-movie commercials. In a Volkswagen commercial where a guy is talking to his old car like a former girlfriend and decides to sell 'her,' he puts a 'for sale' sign on its windshield. His phone number? It started with 867, and the last number was 9; couldn't read the others clearly. Hmmm... I wonder, was his car named 'Jenny?'

In looking in the backgrounds of crowd scenes, I think every non-dead, non-celebrity cameo character who ever appeared in the TV show is there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I really enjoyed it. I don't think it will go down as one of the greatest films of all time but it's certainly really funny.

I noticed a scene in the commercials that wasn't in the movie: Patty and Selma get rushed by a crowd at the DMV. They were still in the credits but they weren't in the finished film (I think).

What were the other audiences' reactions to the cop kiss? Let's just say, I don't think mine will be voting Democratic any time soon.

Kidhuman
07-29-2007, 06:51 PM
They laughed at the cops kissing when I saw it.

Another part that wasnt in the movie was Homer whipping the dogs and switching arms. It was on the commercials.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah, there were things that didn't make the final cut. One is the extended part where the mob is breaking into their house. THey showed the clip at SDCC last year and some of it was cut. Groening said the DVD is going to be insane with deleted stuff.

Saw it again today with the folks; still hysterical. One easter egg I didn't notice when I first saw it was the wrecked ambulance that is on the cliff of Springfield Gorge from the episode, "Bart the Daredevil." :thumbsup:

2-1B
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
It was alright, funny at times but mostly overrated as it didn't sustain the laughs. Too little too late for this busted franchise.

JimJamBonds
07-29-2007, 09:21 PM
It was ok but nothing great....... I did correctly call that the 'pimply faced kid' would make an apperance at the end of the credits.

UKWildcat
07-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I saw where the movie tore up the box office, which is good. I plan on seeing it sometime soon, perhaps next weekend.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I noticed a scene in the commercials that wasn't in the movie: Patty and Selma get rushed by a crowd at the DMV. They were still in the credits but they weren't in the finished film (I think).

What were the other audiences' reactions to the cop kiss? Let's just say, I don't think mine will be voting Democratic any time soon.I didn't see the Bouvier [sp?] sisters.

The first time I saw it, the audience went "ewwww!! " and the second it was "ha ha ha!! " I expect my third showing to have a "facinating..." response. :rolleyes:

One easter egg I didn't notice when I first saw it was the wrecked ambulance that is on the cliff of Springfield Gorge from the episode, "Bart the Daredevil." :thumbsup: I noticed that early on; figured it was pretty easy to spot.

One thing I'd need the DVD to check, is if any of the various "hidden treasures" under the floorboards of the Simpson home appear when the house falls apart. Anyone else notice the painting by "Marge" over the bed in their Alaska home? Her skills improved quite a bit.

Bosskman
08-02-2007, 04:19 AM
The nude scene was freakin hilarious. All the effort to cover it up and then BAM! I noticed the ambulance the second time (saw it 2 shows back to back cause my buddy was drunk at the first and needed to sober up) Like it has been said, my gut was afraid it would both suck and blow but it was classic Simpsons like from the Golden Age of the show, not like some of the newer-2-or-3-funny-gags-but-mostly-un-funny episodes.