PDA

View Full Version : VTAC Figures

jjreason
07-28-2007, 01:06 PM
This would have been the right year to mock up some POTF era cards, what with the coins and all. Thought you should know.

bigbarada
07-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I think someone asked them this question in one of the Q&A sessions. I don't remember Hasbro's exact answer, but it amounted to "we thought about it, but decided against it."

If Hasbro were to venture into POTF cards for the vintage line, there really aren't that many of the "last-17" that need major updates.

These figures have modern versions that can't really be improved upon enough to warrant a $10 figure:
Amanaman
Luke Stormtrooper
Imperial Gunner
Romba (upcoming)

These figures have been resculpted in the last year and would probably not be received well in the $10 format, even though they do need improvements:
Han Carbonite
Luke Endor Poncho
A-Wing Pilot (upcoming)

These figures could be remade but would likely get criticized for their scale in this format:
Lumat (rumored for 2008)
Warok
Paploo
R2 with pop-up saber

So that leaves:
EV-9D9
Imperial Dignitary
Barada
Lando General
Anakin Spirit (unlikely since we're getting the Hayden Christensen ghost)
Yak Face

While I would LOVE to see those six figures made in "vintage style" quality, it's highly unlikely that we'll get them.

Kidhuman
07-28-2007, 09:49 PM
The only one of the last six you listed that stands a remote chance of being SA'd in the Vintage line is General Lando.

I think they should have done the coins and this line. They gave us a Luke Stormtrooper in the comic pack, could have done Lando General, even a Han in Carbonite(but we got that last year with Luke Endor in a regular line, so they got ruled out there) The 4 of them plus an army builder would have been nice IMO. Hell even a 2 pack of Ewoks listed would have been good for 10 bucks.

jjreason
07-29-2007, 01:44 PM
But it wasn't just the "last 17" that appeared on POTF era cards. My lone example is a B-Wing pilot. Not that I'd want him, but I'm sure at least a few more "desirable" vtac type figures would have come out on POTF era cards with coins.

bigbarada
07-29-2007, 02:10 PM
The POTF rereleases were as follows (I might have forgotten one or two, so feel free to add to the list):

Paploo
Lumat
Wicket
Emperor
Biker Scout
AT-ST Driver
B-Wing Pilot
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Jedi Luke
Han Trenchcoat
Threepio removable limbs
Stormtrooper
Yoda
Jawa
Ben Kenobi
Leia Combat Poncho
Nikto
Gamorrean Guard
AT-AT Driver

The ones in red have already been released as part of the vintage-style line.

Kidhuman
07-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Didnt the 3PO also have removeable limbs in the original run of them?

I take it you're also not going for the final ones on the list.

bigbarada
07-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Didnt the 3PO also have removeable limbs in the original run of them?

I take it you're also not going for the final ones on the list.

No, he didn't have removable; but the vintage line would be a great time to make a really nice version of the pull-apart Threepio.

Out of what's left on this list, these I would love to see in the vintage style line:
Emperor (soft-goods)
Pull-apart Threepio
Jedi Luke
Nikto
Gamorrean Guard

I would also like to see Paploo, Wicket and a soft-goods Jawa, but scale would be an issue at this price. 2-packs are most definitely out of the question, since the intent is to stay true to the vintage line. So, I think these would do really well as hi-quality standard figures (Wicket and Paploo could be a 2-pack and the Jawa can come with another droid).

Lumat is rumored for 2008 and the AT-AT Driver has been made really well in the Saga2 line, so no need for a $10 vintage figure of either of them.

While I would have no problem buying vintage-style remakes of the AT-ST Driver and B-Wing Pilot, they're not really characters that people get excited over.

jjreason
07-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Hmmm.... they could have even repacked a few VOTC or what have you figures on different (POTF) cards with coins - I wouldn't have put that past Hasbro, and I wouldn't put buying them past most of us.