PDA

View Full Version : Sidious/Palpatine 2-pack... more than just a rumor.

Tycho
07-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I was checking all the coverage of Comic Con. I was there, but couldn't make every event. Paramount was covering Indiana Jones and Star Trek at the same time as SideShow, so I went to Paramount's presentation.

Anyway, on Rebelscum, I found their coverage of SideShow and it said there were indications of a Palpatine 2-pack with Darth Sidious and The Emperor.

I don't know for sure how it could look, but the coolest possibility would be:

Supreme Chancellor in red from the Mace Windu duel in ROTS
Emperor Palpatine from his "formation of the first Galactic Empire" speech in ROTS

We have Hasbro's ROTJ version, and the ROTS Yoda duel version. I'd love something different. The outfit from the fight with Mace is on my want-list for sure. However, they could repack the hologram from the Mechnochair as well I suppose.

sergiurusu
07-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Too bad they have a ROTS one. If they had an OT I'd be all over it...

Tycho
07-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Too bad they have a ROTS one. If they had an OT I'd be all over it...

I don't actually know what they might have. There's no info on it that I know of as of yet. I was just hoping they'd include what I'd want - which was different from you.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't think they're correct, from what I saw at the Sideshow panel, the clues suggest to me a Sidious/Dooku 2pack.

jedibear
08-05-2007, 06:53 PM
That's my hope. I'd rather have ONE Sidious figure with interchangable portraits and robes along with a Dooku than wasting a 2 pack on two of the same character (albeit in different guises).

Dooku would also make a great companion piece with Assaj Ventress or in a duel display with ROTS Obi-Wan and Anakin....more flexability with what we already have. (That may be wishful thinking, but hey...)

Hopefully we'll know soon enough...

Tycho
08-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Thing is:

Dooku is a pretty decent seller. His Hasbro figure did really well. It was one of the best 12" they ever put out.

Palpatine is a pretty terrible seller, no matter if the sculpt is good or bad.

Thus SideShow would be well-aware they could sell Dooku at any point.

If they include him to help sell Palpatine, sure that would work. However, if you got 2 Palpatines in a pack, that might also sell Palpatine and SS could still sell Dooku anyway.

Jayspawn
08-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Sidious would be an AWESOME seller! So would Dooku.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Let me put it to you guys this way:
Lords of the Sith page in the catalog is shown, they said this was a clue to the 2-pack (which we already knew was prequel-themed) and they showed 4 figures, 2 that were already released and 2 in silhouette - one was wearing a hooded cloak-shape and the other had a longer neck and a cape shape around the shoulders and was the shape of Dooku's head.

Bosskman
08-06-2007, 04:32 PM
It could be a 2-pack of one of the last scenes in ROTS where Dooku meets up with Sidious. That would be sweet. I think this is the best was for us to get a pre-disfigurement Sidious/Palpy. A post-disfigurement one (ala battle with mace) could come with 2 interchangeable heads and the hooded cloak. This would really be fine on its own. However, I do agree that Dooku could easily be sold on own. I hope is Sidious and Dooku...

evenflow
08-15-2007, 07:53 AM
I would be interested in this set at least its new characters and not another Luke.

Blue2th
08-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Just got the newsletter. Looks like it's Palpatine and Sidious! Priority Pre-order September 6th. http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=3532&source=082307news

plasticfetish
08-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Was just reading that also. Looks like a very cool set... can't wait to see more.

(Suppose maybe I can change the title of this thread now. ;))

Tycho
08-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Holy crap! I am so all-over this!

I wanted Palpatine in red so badly!

"Buy me now and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete!"

THIS is like my dream Palpatine figure! I may even order 2 of these sets!

Holy-Moly. Wow! Can you tell I like this one!

I haven't ordered a Sideshow since Bubo. Now I can feel this one's POWER! It's calling to me!

Blue2th
08-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm happy we are finally getting a red Palpatine!

I wonder what accessories we'll get?

Obviously Sidious' cool lightsaber and cane.

I'd like to see some force lightning for the Mace showdown.

You think the exclusive will be the slightly different swollen head he's got while still dressed in red, as he's talking to Anakin, after killing Mace?

If not I wonder what the exclusive will be?

Tycho
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
The coolest exclusive will be alternative "Sidious" head for the red-cloaked Chancellor figure. Then again, that's almost a must-have included thing for all versions of this figure to be fair.

A hand-held Cody hologram might be possible.

An Anakin as Darth Vader (human-form) hologram might also be possible, though slightly less cool than Cody for Order-66)

Lame pack-ins might include his office statue(s).

Blue2th
08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
I had to think about that Sidious head for a little bit, but the reason it's different is that he still has hair before he shaves it or it falls out from the force radiation.
An Order 66 Cody holo would be perfect. :yes:

AmanaMatt
08-24-2007, 10:00 AM
I am afraid of the dark side price tag on this one...

Jayspawn
08-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Holy crap! I am so all-over this!

I wanted Palpatine in red so badly!

"Buy me now and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete!"

THIS is like my dream Palpatine figure! I may even order 2 of these sets!

Holy-Moly. Wow! Can you tell I like this one!

I haven't ordered a Sideshow since Bubo. Now I can feel this one's POWER! It's calling to me!

You said it Tycho! Palpatine in red is my dream figure also! I've been salivating over the possibility of SS doing this figure AND we get Sidious to boot! It appears from the image that Sidious has the deformed head already.

Because it makes me excited, I'm going to hypothesize the accessories....

Palpatine: lightsaber hilt, lightsaber ignighted, Force hands x2, grip right hand.

Sidious: cane, force lightning hands x2, deformed grip right hand.

Possible accessories: transition deforming head, classic black cloak, ignighted lightsaber v2 -Senate podium!!! (ok, thats wishful thinking)

JediTricks
08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I called this one wrong, didn't see Palps being that silhouette at all. I don't really see Palps' face in there too well though, and the head is tapered too much, the neck too thin and long. The Sidious face seems to be based on the Palps head-sculpt so it's coming from a flawed place IMO. I'll attach a lightened version to show you guys what I'm talking about...

So, is this the first prequel 12" PPO of the year? I can't remember anymore, but it seems like it.

Tycho
08-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Oh man, with JT's photo-edit lightening of the picture, I can tell this pack is going to be so awesome! I am so digging this!

Bosskman
08-28-2007, 04:36 AM
I hope the exclusive is something small and stpid that I don't have to worry about not getting because by the time I get home from work, it will probably be sold out.

mm74md
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I hope the exclusive is something small and stpid that I don't have to worry about not getting because by the time I get home from work, it will probably be sold out.

I agree. I hate the exclusives especially if you don't get a preorder you'd end up paying out the azz on ebay

jonthejedi
08-29-2007, 04:43 AM
...well, there goes my credit line. I HAVE to have this two-pack to go with my Ian McD. autograph. With any luck...my income tax refund will show up 1st!!!

Jayspawn
09-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm so into this set that I'll pay whatever. I know that sounds bad, but this version of Palpatine is #1 on my wishlist.

Tycho
09-03-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm so into this set that I'll pay whatever. I know that sounds bad, but this version of Palpatine is #1 on my wishlist.

Same with me!

JontheJedi, how did you get Ian McDiarmid's autograph? Dude I'd love to meet that guy!

Jayspawn
09-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I have Ian's autograph as well. A few months ago OfficialPix did a signing with him. His 1st. They were VERY expensive but worth the price considering how rare a real one is.

Tycho
09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Ian wasn't there signing in person, was he?

jonthejedi
09-04-2007, 03:54 AM
Jayspawn could probably answer that better than me. I'm not sure where OP arranged for the signing...possibly England, or NYC.

plasticfetish
09-04-2007, 10:27 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?p=3569

(...and we put up the news first. Bam!)

Tycho
09-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Holy crap! I soooo want this. Don't I?

I can feel my anger. Let my hate flow through me (at the time I still have to wait before I can pre-order this).

Charge these figures to my credit card with all of my hatred and my journey to the Dark Side will be complete!

(The darn exclusive piece looks to be a Sith statue though.) Phooey when it could have been a Holographic Cody or Anakin at that size.

Blue2th
09-05-2007, 01:54 AM
These look really good.
Now we need a Yoda for the grand fight with Sidious.
The exclusive is kinda lame. I would've rather had a Holo figure too.
Oh well still getting this.

neocrasher
09-05-2007, 02:44 AM
i was hoping for a more sinister look on sidious.

Bosskman
09-05-2007, 04:40 AM
I was thinking that Sidious was going to be the TPM, AOTC and pre-revelation ROTS Sidious, and not the Emperor but these are stiff freakin sweet. And with the crappy exclusive accesory I don't have to worry about getting the exclusive now. I love it. I'd still like a TPM Sidious someday though to go with Maul. Maybe they could do anothr set like this with him and TPM Senator Palpatine.

Tycho
09-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Maybe they could do anothr set like this with him and TPM Senator Palpatine.

I'd want that as well! Good idea. I wonder if SideShow would consider trying to execute a 12" hologram figure (transparent blue plastic, and transparent blue fabric)? Pre-ROTS Sidious does not have to be a hologram though - as he appeared in the flesh with Maul and Dooku respectively.

JediTricks
09-06-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm still not feeling this one at all, though the Palps head looks better from further back. I won't bother with this set.

Jaina Solo
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Sideshow just put up the product details. These guys are $119, which is about what I expected. Steep, but considering we get two AWESOME figures...

I'm kind of annoyed that I'll have to buy the inevitible Expansion Pack, though. We need the throne, and the cane, and I wouldn't say no to the ROTS outer robe, either...

1 per person limit, btw, which also didn't surprise me. But that's just for the exclusive, right? So if I was crazy enough to want the regular edition too, I could do that? (Must resist the pull of the Dark Side...)

30 seconds till PPO. 'Scuse me. :)

ETA: Well, that was painless. 2 minutes, no problem. Sure beats the Obi-Wan fiasco. Thanks, Sideshow!

Tycho
09-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Yes, it was quick. I used SirSteve's link so our site would get credited by its sponsor. I too had no problem ordering that way.

BTW: I'd BUY that expansion pack you were suggesting, Jaina - the ROTJ throne chair, maybe the Yoda-duel robe to go on him. "The Emperor's New Cloak" expansion pack? haha. Yeah, I could see this.

Jaina Solo
09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Haha, yeah, if they make it, I'd definately buy it. Just saying it'd have been nice for the set to come with that stuff instead of the (somewhat random) statue.

Hey, they made Salacious Crumb for Jabba, right? I really think the stuff we want is every bit as necessary. :)

Tycho
09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Like holographic Anakin (as non-cyborg Darth Vader) kneeling before his new master, and holographic Commander Cody receiving Order 66. *Sigh*

Instead, we get a statue.

An "Emperor's New Cloak" expansion pack should have:

ROTJ Throne Chair from Death Star II
Holo Cody
Holo Anakin (Vader)
more statues I guess
the cloak from the Yoda duel
Senate camera droid
computer counsel
Mace Windu's severed hand and lightsaber hilt

I wonder how long it will take them to sell the Exclusive Palpatine through? Or if they pretend to, in order to stimulate demand (like "better get him fast!") Wal-Mart could have done that with Hasbro's Moff Jerjerrod and Lushros Dofine, C-3PO by storing most of their excessive stock in the back (it hardly takes up THAT much room) and thereby making them look more rare, thus they'd sell. Then once the one or two were gone, they'd be replaced. If I was managing a toy section, I'd do that. My TRU manager did exactly that when he had too many Geonosians (Poggle and Sun Fac) in 2006. He had a ton in the back, but only stocked a few at a time. He totally sold through them all by making just a little bit more effort. Now he likes SW, but if he's that attentive to the merchandise in the rest of his store, it's little wonder that he makes it rather profitable.

Bosskman
09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Got my palpies. I didn't think (or care) that I wouls get the excluse but I just did.

plasticfetish
09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
...aaaaaaand, the exclusive is now sold out! Congrats to those that got it. :)

Turbowars
09-06-2007, 09:12 PM
The exclusive was pretty lame so I passed and might get the set cheaper on e-bay later. The old man just isn't that interesting. :sleeping:

Jayspawn
09-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I had to work so I missed the Exclsive. But I'm going to open it anyways so the regular version is fine with me. I'm SO gonna open it! HAHAHAH!!!

Tycho
09-06-2007, 10:05 PM
The nice thing about SideShow's stuff is that you can open it and repackage it in its basically mint in the box presentation (a few pieces of scotchtape removed but easily replaced if you're THAT into the effort).

They pack their products nicely. Now if only the Han Solo figure's head had looked like the one that was actually shown on the box...

but:

ROTS Obi-Wan is nearly perfect
ROTS Anakin is goth drag-queen with his lipstick, but kind of good
ESB Han Solo is uh...let's not go there
ROTS Kit Fisto is cool - but hard to tell if anything's out of whack with an alien
ROTJ Endor Rebel Troopers are cool - but who cares how perfect their facesculpts are?
ROTJ Bib Fortuna is possibly inferior to Hasbro's figure - sad but true

And I think that's all I have. Didn't need the others but I saw my friend's Maul and Ventress and those are actually pretty cool.

Palpatine might turn out really good (both of them). Thus far, E3 Obi-Wan gives me the most satisfaction of any of my purchases from SideShow.

JediTricks
09-06-2007, 11:50 PM
2000 units for the exclusive? That's insane! Way, way, way too many for a price like this, especially with such an underwhelming and small exclusive accessory. And no surprise, this is the first SW 12"er to make it out of Priority Preorder. Personally, I think $120 is a shamefully high price. You've got 2 standard bodies, 2 rather simple outfits, and a very small number of accessories - I'm sure Sideshow will do their best will all that, but it's still pretty high for 1 box of item.

Tycho
09-07-2007, 12:19 AM
But they'll use that glossy kind of cardboard for the box!

Anyway, they just made themselves $240,000 on the initial exclusive offering. I'm sure they can continue on towards half a million and then some with this product.

You're right JT - considering it's not a new body mold or even new hand molds I think, they have quite a little profit maker going. But they do have to pay Lucas of course - and Hasbro even because they're using Hasbro's license to do these.

Blue2th
09-07-2007, 12:55 AM
2000 exclusives is too many. It's a good thing I had $41 worth of points I used, as this was an expensive set.

JediTricks
09-07-2007, 02:32 AM
2000 exclusives is the highest SE edition size of the year, isn't it?

Tycho, the hands are new too, I forgot about that, but BFD, they're not like a friggin' MYNOCK or something. And they haven't made dime-one yet, just a lot of empty promises from lazy collectors, many of which might duck out between now and the q1'08 release date.

Tycho
09-07-2007, 02:40 AM
I didn't know you could use your SideShow points on Pre-Orders.

I have 533 with 160 or so more, pending. I did a mock-order to see what that was worth. Only $26. I intend to wait until I have about 2000 points (about 10 more regular SideShow figures) and then order something that's entirely free, as I should have about $100 worth by then.

With a list of about 100 figures I wish SideShow would make, I can imagine that in about 1.5 years or so, I might have those kind of points saved up.

However, I think if I ordered from another e-tailer, I could probably add my savings up to $100 even quicker. I haven't made a comparison study, but that's worth exploring.

Jaina Solo
09-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I noticed too late that I had $13 and change I could've used on the PPO... I'm going to check later if I can still add the points in, and I might do that, just to take a bit more of the sting out of this one. I'd feel better about spending so much if, you know, he came with the throne... Or if the exclusive accessory was something a little more cool than a statue I'll probably just keep in the box anyway.

Blue2th
09-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah, the points had a little check box when you placed the order.
Though I was under the impression, you had to have the full amount to cover the total cost of the purchase the way they worded it. Apparently not.

Darth Maul Premium and Assajj Ventris, Leia Boush, Holo Sidious and Plo-Koon were my last purchases since I used my points I think. That's alot of dough to get just $41, but I'll take what I can get.

Battle Droid
09-23-2007, 10:40 AM
The Sith Holocron accessory?

From, http://www.blister.jp/item7771.html

http://www.blister.jp/images-item-big/ref4-7771.jpg

Tycho
09-23-2007, 10:24 PM
That would be cool to get - better than a statue from his office (when there were several to start with). But I maintain a Cody or Anakin hologram (appropriately posed - not Hasbro's 2006 pack-ins) would have been the best extra value added.

jedibear
09-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I am soooo looking forward to this set...the sculpts look great and I'm really pleased they are featuring Palpatine in his red robes...

I plan on swapping the outfits and posing a hooded Palpatine with Darth Maul and an "altered": (Sidious) Palpatine with Anakin on bended knee becoming Darth Vader....

Tycho
09-29-2007, 11:52 PM
I plan on swapping the outfits and posing a hooded Palpatine with Darth Maul and an "altered": (Sidious) Palpatine with Anakin on bended knee becoming Darth Vader....

That will look really cool. The Hasbro 12" Sidious from ROTS has the appropriate cloak to expand on that if you care to.

I know about the excitement though. This is the set I was waiting for!

plasticfetish
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I just got my "and would like to inform you that this item will be arriving in our Los Angeles warehouse withing the next 15-20 days" e-mail from Sideshow.

Looks like Palpatine is coming!

Tycho
01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Cool!

I will open my Federal Express box with all of my hatred and my journey to the Dark Side will be complete!

jedibear
01-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Well, I just got my "and would like to inform you that this item will be arriving in our Los Angeles warehouse withing the next 15-20 days" e-mail from Sideshow.

Looks like Palpatine is coming!

Got my SS email too! Can't wait for this set!

Bosskman
01-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Got mine. He's gonna look sweet next to Mace and Fisto

Jayspawn
01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Hehehe! I'm gonna be all giddy when he shows -of course I'm opening mine! Gonna do some wicked poses!

Tycho
01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm going to bring my Mace Windu 12" out of storage and take out Kit Fisto from his box as well, and they're going to take on the Sith Lord!

I only hope that at one point SSC makes SaeSee and Agen. I'm probably down for buying those guys!

- multiples perhaps, as I was going to build a 12" Jedi Council.

AmanaMatt
01-25-2008, 01:30 AM
The Sideshow collectors forum has some loose pics of production pieces, and overall, they both look very, very good. In close ups, Red Palps seems to have a lot of facial detail; in others, the paint apps seem to be covering up details - issue seems to be (as usual) lighting of the pics - Emperor Palps looks downright fantastic.

A lot of us (myself included) give SS a lot of grief when figs turn out less than hoped; these have turned out fantastic and I love to give credit where credit is due. Sideshow: good job with these.....I hope production figs of ANH Han and Luke turn out this good!!! :love:

jedibear
01-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Watch out when viewing those shots...the gentleman who posted them finally fessed up that after the initial first pic, he put a "wash" on the head sculpts to bring out more detail (!!!!!)...sorry, I found that appalling, but to each their own.

His first shot of them right out of the box was impressive enough...they look good...the outfits look like they could use some light pressing and futzing to get them looking their best and the (factory) paint apps look great. Sidious fans will be especially pleased with how well the eyes look...very haunting indeed.

The box looks like both figures are packed one to a side (presumably with the accessories for each character packed with the figure ala Leia ANH).

According to another forum member who spoke with an SS employee, pre-auths start for this on monday (28th), so get ready for some double Sith action!

(can you tell I'm just a little excited for this set? :))

Bosskman
01-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Mine are now processing. Something something something dark side .......

Tycho
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm really excited about getting this figure, too. I'd say that along with the Hasbro vehicles, and this being the ONLY SSC product I have on order at the moment, I'm very glad to see this coming out.

jedibear
01-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Got a holo-call from a galaxy far, far away...
A certain Dark Lord of the Sith is on his way here.... :)

jonthejedi
01-26-2008, 05:13 AM
After having to cancel some pieces, due to lack of funds around the holidays...I'm ultra-jazzed to get this two-pack into my Ikea case under some mood lighting.

Tycho
01-26-2008, 11:31 AM
under some mood lighting.

A three-some with likenesses of Ian McDiarmid under mood lighting....Oh-kaaay. ;)

Jayspawn
01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Ohh, i wish we had an ikea store here in CO.

Cant wait to get mine either!

AmanaMatt
01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, $120 for two figures seems like a deal compared with $80 for just one ANH Luke.... these outfits may be simple, but based on final pics, the material used is top notch. At $60 each, these seem priced appropriately....IMO. (The exclusive totally blows - if they did alternative heads for every exclusive, I would love it!!!)

Tycho
01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
OK, I am really excited to get this figure, so not to nitpick, but to nitpick anyway:

Holo Commander Cody
Holo Anakin-Vader kneeling
Holo Vader
2 heads for the red Chancellor figure version
a Sith Holocron

Instead we get a statue. A statue?

Jayspawn
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I actually like the Statue. If there was a replica of it -I'd buy it!

jedibear
01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I like the statue too...I just wish it were in 1:6 scale like the ones in his office.

Maybe items like this are what efx could do for us...make a scaled replica of this statue.

Well, gettin' the camera warmed up for the Sith Master's arrival...
...took a shot of his doomed apprentice...

Jaina Solo
01-30-2008, 01:48 PM
My figures are out for delivery today. I was stressing about beating the FedEx truck home, since I haven't taught my cat how to sign for things yet (must work on that) but I made it. :) I got the exclusive, and while I'm not totally enthusiastic about the statue, it'll be nice to have.

...I really wanted the throne, though. Expansion pack, anyone? ;)

JediTricks
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Keen shot, and totally agree on the statue being lame 'cause it's out of scale.

Jaina Solo
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
FedEx just dropped mine off. It's very cool.

I was expecting a much bigger box, but it doesn't seem that much bigger than the others. Each figure gets his own side of the box and has his accessories packed in around him. I had to open up Darth Sidious to put his holocron (at least I think that's what the pyramid-shaped thing is) back in its place, and when I did that his extra hands fell out and I had to shove those back too... but other than that, no major complaints yet. :)

BTW, JediTricks, your signature always cracks me up.

Tycho
01-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Mine came today!

I am really liking this set thus far (haven't opened it, but plan to).

I thought the Chancellor's red outfit would be a little bit more detailed though.

I'm stoked that the Emperor figure's cloaks are from ROTS and the Yoda duel! That was a surprise, as I thought this was a ROTJ figure. Very cool.

The packaging and presentation is totally wonderful. This is a really nice set.

Jayspawn
02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Well bust 'em open Tycho!

Tycho
02-01-2008, 09:02 PM
It's crazy, but I still haven't made time for that yet. I think that while I know SSC has made it so I won't damage his packaging, I am in such reverence of the thing, that also fuels my hesitation. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up my boxed product and admired it.

I suppose I'll open him when I get tired of looking at him in his packaging. Haha.

Jayspawn
02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm getting anxious, mine hasnt shipped yet. Gonna put him in some wicked posed too.

jedibear
02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah, wednesday can't come fast enough for me!

Tycho
02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
JediBear, can I make a request of you?

You take great photos of your SSC figures each time you get a new one.

How about photographing either:

1) SSC Anakin kneeling before red cloak Palpatine?

or

2) Mace and Kit Fisto fighting red cloak Palpatine?

or

3) Hasbro Yoda fighting SSC Darth Sidious?

Man, these'd look cool! Don't you think?

My Mace is in storage (I have 2 Hasbro TPMs and 1 Hasbro TRU Exc. AOTC) so I never bought SSC's -

I do have Kit Fisto here (SSC) so I could work with that myself. But I think you do a better job!

jedibear
02-02-2008, 10:33 PM
You bet, Tycho! I've got a few ideas for shots planned with these great looking figures...and thanks for the compliment...much appreciated.

They show up in my neck of the woods on weds so look for some shots late weds night or thursday...

I can't wait until these two arrive!

AmanaMatt
02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
My two pack arrives tomorrow - these should sweet next to my 12" Sith Anakin (which I still love, after I toned his eyebrows down)!

jonthejedi
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
My set showed up today...yes, very impressed like most of you. I think Sidious is my favorite of the two. He looks freakin' eerie next to Anakin on the top shelf of my Ikea cabinet. The overhead light just makes his Sith eyes pop even more. My only complaint...boy, are those hands cryin' out for translucent Force lightning, although I don't think the wrists & fingertips would have supported the weight.

jedibear
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
AAAArrrrgggghhh!

Out plowin' neighbor's driveways this morning and missed the delivery!
Signature required?!? Heck, Jabba was over $100 and the driver left him for me...

Oh well...I'll pick them up tomorrow...guess it'll be the weekend before any shots can get done... :(

Tycho
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
That sucks Jedibear. I hope your neighbor appreciates your sacrafice!

Blue2th
02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
AAAArrrrgggghhh!

Out plowin' neighbor's driveways this morning and missed the delivery!
Signature required?!? Heck, Jabba was over $100 and the driver left him for me...

Oh well...I'll pick them up tomorrow...guess it'll be the weekend before any shots can get done... :(
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Though I was out hunting for toys :ninja:
Update: as I was writing this, mine showed up, so I went downstairs and signed for it.

AmanaMatt
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Though I was out hunting for toys :ninja:
Update: as I was writing this, mine showed up, so I went downstairs and signed for it.

I also had this issue - anything over $100 is supposed to my signed for and my driver did not make an exception, so I got my set today AND did not have to go to work (small fire caused major smoke issues in building!!!)...what a day!

I have to say the Pals/Sidious two pack is near perfection. I would have changed only two things: included force lighting and pants for Sidious!

This is three figs in a row (including old Ben) where the overall quality is top notch; heres hoping this trend does not change for ANH Han and Luke!

jedibear
02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Good to hear that the set does not disappoint...I'll pick mine up tomorrow after digging myself out (it's still comin' down!)...

I've heard about Sid's lack of pants...he's getting a nice black pair from another old Hasbro figure...I mean really...we all know the dark side is a path to abilities that some consider to be unnatural, but Sid's gotta have pants! lol

I was itchin' to start taking some shots so...here's a couple to get me warmed up for tomorrow...

A jedi knight tries to force back the darkness enveloping his brother...but it is too late... he is already become the dark master's latest apprentice...

Tycho
02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
What? He doesn't have pants? What kind of stunt is that?

Now I read an interview with Ian McDiarmid who actually said he was only wearing his shorts under that robe when they filmed those scenes for ROTJ (in SW Insider no less).

But does that mean the SSC figure has to be that authentic?

We should rewrite the dialogue for those scenes. He's really a ROTS figure and I'm afraid I'm tired right now and don't instantly recollect the dialogue from when he confronted Yoda.

I was almost going to do ROTJ, but the figure's not from that scene.

Something like:

EP: Master Yoda. You have pants.

Y: Emperor Palpatine. Or should I call you pantless?

Someone can help this continue if they can make it pretty funny.

jonthejedi
02-07-2008, 03:52 AM
...something, something, something dark side boxers or briefs

Tycho
02-07-2008, 04:33 AM
I thought it might be the stain that was actually on the Dark Side. :D

jedibear
02-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Okay....picked them up today and finally got home to have a look.

WOW! Very nice set. Once again, there is nothing like having these figures right in front of you to truly appreciate how good they are,,,and these two are GOOD!

Perfect paint apps on the two I got...the sculpts are truly amazing. The outfits are very well done...both requiring some major futzing to get them looking good (still working on Sid...he'll be getting some pants tomorrow LOL) and the accessories are well detailed and look good, especially the saber hilts.

The only minor nits I have are....miss those styro caps...the box is pretty creased up and dented on the corners. The "exclusive sticker was upside down (!) but that was easily remedied. Sid's body has some really loose joints,,,I've never encountered one of these quite so loose before...he's definitely being displayed on the stand.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like Palpatine a lot...Sidious is cool (those eyes and hands are really cool) but Palpatine just has a texture to him that really stands out.

Now I'm beat...its been a long day, so I only managed to snap a few quick shots for now...a couple of Palpatine and a fun one of Sidious with my attempt at some Sith power...lt me know what you think...
I'll get some more up over the weekend when I can really take some time with these two...

If you're waiting for this set to arrive...you're in for a treat...if not, be sure and give them a second look...Sideshow is on a roll here in terms of quality...and it's a sight to behold! :)

Tycho
02-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Nice pictures. They're a little on the darker side, though aren't they. I get the pun, but by this I actually mean your lighting, because your shots are usually brighter.

Did you get Sidious' Force lightning from the 7" Unleashed? It looks like that's one possibility - else your Photoshop skills are really, really good.

Ah - just checked. That's 7" Unleashed Dooku's Force lightning, isn't it?

jedibear
02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
yes it is! love to recycle whenever possible! :)

Another quick shot before work...

Tycho
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Haha.

"I feel cold...death."

"That place....is strong with the Dark Side of the Force."

Great picture. Those famous lines from ESB came to me immediately when I saw your photo.

jedibear
02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
"You're the Sith Lord!"

The Nautolan goes down...

Tycho
02-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Dude, those are great shots! I like them both and couldn't tell you which one is better!

SSC makes such great figures!

jedibear
02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
"You are under arrest, my Lord!"

(I really like this shot :))

Tycho
02-09-2008, 09:52 PM
That's a cool shot. Is Palpatine lacking some detail in his robes though?

Mine's the same as yours and I'm quite sure that in the movie, he had a subtle pattern-design in his robes to make them more elegant looking.

I'm kind of disappointed how plain our Chancellor figure looks.

jedibear
02-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it's true at first glance that the outfit might lack detail, (and it realy doesn't show in photos), but for the scale, the fabrics Sideshow chose actually work well and have some good texture.

A couple more shots...

A duel to the death.... and "Are you going to kill me?"

Tycho
02-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I love the new one, dueling Mace. That's your best pic yet.

jedibear
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Tycho...

On that idea about the costume lacking detail...here's a final shot for the night where I think I got the light just right to show just how detailed and textured the outfit is...I think it looks great!

Tycho
02-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I guess the pattern in Ian's actual costume's material is more pronounced.

The thread colors are more distinguishable. Here for comparison, is Ian in costume.

There is also a sharper color difference between Palpatine's outer dress-shall thing, and his inner robe.

Why SSC couldn't see that, I have to wonder.

JediTricks
02-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Weird, they got the neckline wrong too.

jedibear
02-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Lord Sidious...

Tycho
02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
JT, did you also buy this figure set? I'm half asleep so I didn't notice stuff again.

What do you think?

I'm very glad SSC made it and that I purchased it btw. Please don't get me wrong. It is one of my favorite SSC products I've bought (though I think ROTS Obi-Wan still tops my list).

I'm just pointing out that there was room for improvement and a company like SSC that prides itself on authenticity seems to have cheaped out a little here and there with Palpatine. That can be disappointing even if I do really like the figure.

But I am excited by the character he represents, moreso than the product's execution, if you can understand that. (Being serious for a moment - this is also how I can be so appreciative of Michael Bay's Transformers movie when it is so far from G1).

JediTricks
02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
No, I saved my money for stuff I actually wanted, not dolls of old men in dresses. ;) Seriously though, I generally buy only the figures of characters I thought were cool in some way with the prequels, and Palps really didn't do it for me - especially his melty later self, that TOTALLY missed the mark I thought.

jedibear
02-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Ouch! Guess I'll stop with the pics of "old men in dresses" then....

Tycho
02-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Nah. Keep them coming. Both of us think Palpatine is seriously cool.

JT's outvoted! ;)

It does bug me as to how SideShow can have such great references for Palpatine's clothing right in front of them, and then not follow through with the set.

I think the 2 figures (w. shipping) cost about $135. If we'd pay that, I certainly would have paid $160 or so to get better matching material. SSC didn't have to bare the cost.

JediTricks
02-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Ouch! Guess I'll stop with the pics of "old men in dresses" then....The thing about ultra-nichey niches is that even if the market is extremely small, if you're the only one fueling the desire there, you're going to come out ahead. Hence "Ladies with Giant Noses Quarterly" magazine's 87th year in business.

It does bug me as to how SideShow can have such great references for Palpatine's clothing right in front of them, and then not follow through with the set.

I think the 2 figures (w. shipping) cost about $135. If we'd pay that, I certainly would have paid $160 or so to get better matching material. SSC didn't have to bare the cost.You are smoking crack, there's no other rational explanation how you think ANYBODY else on the face of the planet would spent $160 for those 2 figures in marginally-better costumes. Ian McDiarmid's own mother wouldn't pay that. These figures are horribly overpriced as it is, they absolutely need to bear those costs in order to keep customers buying unusual product such as this.

Tycho
02-12-2008, 09:23 AM
You're right. I AM smoking crack, but back to my original point:

How could they screw this up with the photo documentation right in front of them?

Bosskman
02-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Got mine. Both sweet. Especially emperor.........

JediTricks
02-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Sideshow's been getting rather lax lately with this line. The heads are getting bigger which makes the sorry Buck body they use look even more pitiful. The outfits are getting a little sloppier with lazier stitching in some places. And the accessories are lessening in number and losing paint apps.

I can understand why they weren't able to fully recreate the costume's fine details, that's an issue of scale sometimes, but to not really pay off with a similarity and to not get the pattern right is downright sloppy on a $120 set.

Tycho
02-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Yes. Thank you JT.

I went to my storage today.

It would have required a lot of effort moving things to get out my Mace and Yoda figures that I wanted to display with my Palpatines, so I didn't.

Part of it was there was a terrible scent of gasoline fumes in there. WTF?

I owned 2 gas tanks for my waverunner prior to my aneurysm and my uncle moving everything out. Much of my aquatic gear was never stored however: 2 life jackets, garden hose carried for cleaning the engine, wet suit for riding and mostly for surfing, etc.

I've never seen that stuff since I got out of the hospital. My guess is that my uncle sold it or gave it away. He'll just yell at me and say "I don't remember! Leave me alone with that crap!" if I ask anyway.

I think he feels bad that he acted on information suggesting I was going to die or never recover enough to use that stuff (I get so cold now because of my blood condition that I'm not likely to go in the water except during the hottest days of summer anyway). So I guess he doesn't want to relive it. My uncle was the one who brought a specialist in that saved my life. Something like 90% of people with aneurysms in their brain, die.

But the gas tanks should not be in my storage. Dividers between my unit and other ones have gaps up on the ceilings. Small gaps, but airflow.

I think maybe a neighbor is storing gas tanks. (?) Tomorrow I'm going to report it. I think I better. I didn't want to work in there and breathe the fumes.

I just hope they don't make me pull all my stuff out to prove I don't have gas tanks in there.

BTW: if my whole collection explodes (Well that storage is just my 12" and OTC stuff) I will be FREE! Yes. Collecting the insurance money and done worrying about collecting 12" and OTC stuff at least. Maybe I shouldn't report anything?

Jayspawn
02-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Mine still hasnt shipped. Backordered...

mm74md
02-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Well, I got mine on Monday off ebay for $110 shipped. Sidious is so sweet. Palpatine is pretty good. I have to agree that the clothing is pretty blah for him.

Overall I'm pleased with it for the price I paid.

Jayspawn
02-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Shipped! Finally!

Jayspawn
03-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Got it! These figures rock! No complaints really, except my Sidious lightsaber was broken at the base. I was able to super glue it -looks fine now so I'm happy. The outfits were all pressed in because of the packing but they look much better once you work em out.

Dont have much on order after this one. But this sets a winner.

jedibear
03-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Congrats Jayspawn...it is a great set. Tip on the outfits...for Palps, a light iron of the reverse side of the robes helps work out any creases (reverse side as to not crush the texture in the fabric) and for Sid...very light iron with something as a barrier (I used a plain white t-shirt) again, to avoid crushing/scorching the fabric and just enough to get the creases out.

Question...how are the paint apps of the Palpatine? The one I have has bad overspray on the right forehead area...(the hair color comes down onto the forehead almost an eight of an inch / see pic below)...I'm still waiting to hear from Sideshow about replacing him...

Tycho
03-07-2008, 03:30 AM
I can feel your anger. It gives you focus...

I didn't notice a problem with mine, but I didn't look for that. He's still boxed, on the bookshelf behind me, but too far out of reach for my lazy butt right now. It's 1:30am. What do you expect from me? ;)

JediTricks
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Geez, that's Hasbro-level sloppiness, don't take anything less than a full replacement from Sideshow on this.

Blue2th
03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Sideshow has been making me angry lately. They still haven't gotten back to me on my damaged box for Padme, and it's been almost a week. This is not the first time either.

Thinking seriously about not buying anything more from them.
Guess a guy who's spent literally thousands on their Premium to Regular exclusive figures is not worth taking care of. Just a little no-count fish in their huge pond. They wont miss me. :upset:

Maybe if I quit paying extra for more packing and put the shipping back to normal?

jedibear
03-09-2008, 03:35 AM
I hear ya, Blue...

I called on Feb 14 about my issue with this set....three more calls (and almost a month later) - I finally talk to someone who has the returns dept issue me a "RTN" (return authorization number) and emailed a UPS return label.

Now the first girl I spoke with back in Feb did say they were behind in returns department (not something you really want to hear) and I was told that I must return the entire set for an exchange (also discouraging/frustrating, especially with a double-figure set with only one bad figure).

Needless to say...I'm a little nervous about that...I'm just crossing my fingers that I a) get an exclusive back like I ordered... b)don't end up with the same or worse problem with the same figure or...c) get a decent Palaptine but end up with a bad Sidious....

I'll let you know a few months from now.... :(

This is my first figure return to them out of all the figures I've purchased so...I'm hoping it goes well. I've had to have boxes replaced before at the beginning of the line and one defective hand (they just sent a replacement)...and all of those encounters were dealt with quickly and with a high level of courtesy that, other than the first and last call, were really lacking this time around.

I do think that a quicker response would be good when dealing with this sort of thing. If the returns department is that backed up, that should tell them that the QC on these figures really needs to be stepped up a bit. With the prices increasing on the 1:6 figures to levels approaching their competitors, they're gonna find people being a lot more picky about paint apps, base bodies, costumes and yes, even boxes....

I really enjoy these figures...but I'm not gonna drop nearly a "c" note at a time on a "gamble"...will it look good? Are the paint apps well applied? Etc, etc...

Okay, rant off...sorry 'bout that...as regulars around here know, I'm a big cheerleader for these figures, always supporting them and trying to see something positive in each and every release....but reading blue's post just flipped a switch and made me wanna vent....thanks for puttin' up with it, folks :)

JediTricks
03-09-2008, 07:44 PM
I've only done returns business through the internet with them, and while there have been some delays, they extend the guarantee by that much, so I'm glad to have it in writing. I did have to kinda stay on them for this stuff though, and email made that easier than the phone.

Blue2th
03-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I do it all on the internet also. Last time was for Sidious on Meccano Chair. Got a response, saying they would replace the crushed box, never received it. Nada nothing. I let it go, but the thing that bothers me the most is that I pay extra in the shipping to receive a my figures a box within a box much like EE does. Well this doesn't do me any good if the original package is damaged before it's even boxed up, I mean what the f*ck! :ninja:

AmanaMatt
03-09-2008, 10:11 PM
All the times I have had to do returns, I have had no issues with them....

Jayspawn
03-09-2008, 10:54 PM
See I'm not loosing sleep over damaged boxes as I open my SS figures anyways. The boxes themselves will not withstand the test of time anyways and I'd rather get em in some sweet poses.

Blue2th
03-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I will give SS credit where credit is due. They make the figures easy to remove without damaging the nice well designed package. But hey if I pay for it, I want it cherry, whether or not I take them out. (I'd really like to start photographing them like JB)
When I decide to rip them open (which is absolutely unecessary) and not some eager beaver who wants a sneak-peak at my figure whos only job is to pack it properly, who doesn't give a rats-a** about the amount of money I paid for it that's another thing.

When I grow tired of collecting them, and want to sell, my undamaged exclusive box is worth more than one not taken care of.

JediTricks
03-10-2008, 10:42 PM
I do it all on the internet also. Last time was for Sidious on Meccano Chair. Got a response, saying they would replace the crushed box, never received it. Nada nothing. I let it go, but the thing that bothers me the most is that I pay extra in the shipping to receive a my figures a box within a box much like EE does. Well this doesn't do me any good if the original package is damaged before it's even boxed up, I mean what the f*ck! :ninja:Stay on them with that stuff, that's really unusual to hear that they emailed you they'd do something and copped out. They take their packaging just as seriously as their figures.

jedibear
03-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Well...Palps and Sid are winging their way back to the west coast for replacement....here's hoping all goes well...I'll keep y'all posted...

jedibear
03-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Heard from SS....they received the set and a replacement has been sent...due this thursday (03/27)....

Blue2th
03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Sideshow contacted me about my damaged Padme box, and got back to me, sent me a new replacement box, so all is good with me and Sideshow. :)

Here's what they said in a nice way:

We apologize that it looks as if someone tried to sneak a peek at your
Padme. We have submitted your concern to our returns department. Please
allow them at least five business days to get back to you with information
to start your return and replacement. Please note that these few days will
not be counted against your 30 return window!

Jayspawn
03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Cool. I love my Palpatine/Sidious set. I need to get a Hasbro Emperor black robe and cane for Palpatine now (cheap of course). More accessories I can get him the better.

jedibear
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, the replacement is here!

And....I'm so glad I sent it back. The new set is perfect...both figures have steller paint apps, the box was double-packed and arrived in better shape than the one I sent back! I'm very pleased. Seems that as I look back on this whole return process, the only nit was the time lag in getting it started (hearing back from the returns department to start the process)...that part took a month, but once the set was shipped back, I got timely emails keeping me up on what was happening.

And now the duo is back...and looking great! Sideshow's star is shining brightly in my book...it's a rare thing indeed to have a company provide this kind of back-up for their product...bravo, Sideshow!

Tycho
03-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Looks good JediBear.

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Do you have a Mace Windu figure?

Fight! Fight! Fight!

JediTricks
08-05-2009, 01:04 AM
I won this set at Comic-Con. It was a really rough question, but something I knew right away because I researched the character a few years ago in the hopes of convincing Hasbro to make the character - who is the white haired rebel trooper in the beginning of ANH? Lt. Pello Scrambas, and my hand shot straight up halfway through the question, they were astonished anybody knew this.

Anyway, it's one of the sets that Tycho showed me during last year's comic-con that I thought was a little better than I had thought before, and didn't have in my collection. The first one in the trivia contest during the panel I missed out, but I got the second one instantly. I got it home, and was just going through my stuff, and it's the friggin' EXCLUSIVE!!! My SSC exclusive figures are still 100%, that is so cool.

Jayspawn
08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Not sure what that trooper's name is. Wonder is the actor knows that there is an awesome collectible of him?

JediTricks
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately, stuntman Eddie Eddon passed away in '99, well before anybody had recognized his importance (and also before Sam Jackson said that upon viewing ANH for the first time he thought that guy was the star of the movie due to the close ups). His daughter Tracey however is alive, she was the ROTJ stuntwoman who doubled for Princess Leia on the sail barge, as well as C-3PO, and even played a stormtrooper on Endor.

Just looked over my set, took everything out and messed with it. It's weird to go back to the buck body after using the prometheus and armored bodies now, I forgot how long their arms were. The holocron accessory is way nicer than I had expected, the exclusive statue is ok but not quite as nice because it was more plastic-looking (they did add a bronzed green wash to it though). Sidious' outfit is funny, I wasn't expecting a big fur collar on the outside. When the hood is down, it looks pretty darn good and how I prefer to leave the figure in the box (had to toss the dog collar), with the hood up it shows the head, looks better than the movie face but less accurate to that, I don't mind because the movie melted face looked poor.

Palpatine's outfit is terrycloth, that threw me for a loop, but it looks less odd with the robe vest over it. There is a little slop on the hair paint line at the top, but the rest is ok, nothing like the bum one shown in this thread. The likeness is good, passive though, I would have liked the more scheming face from when he's circling Anakin, but this is a very good sculpt. The pistol grip hand makes NO sense, what ya gonna do? The neckline could be accurate, but the way they sewed the second robe onto the tunic makes it nigh-impossible to get right. Still, overall it's a fairly good figure for what it is supposed to be, but I do prefer the Sidious figure as it's more menacing.

Thanks for the keen prize, Sideshow!

jedibear
08-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Congrats, JT...I like this set a lot.

Once you get Play futzed up, he looks really good. Someday I might get bold enough to switch the outfits with Sidious to display the "knighting" scene with Anakin to Vader...

Jayspawn
08-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I picked up an extra Chancellor on Ebay. I still think he's an awesome figure.

I'd like to see a Senator version from Episode I -but for lack of action scenes, its not gonna happen. Hasbro almost made one though.

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I find the costume on Palps to be very difficult to mess with, the terrycloth and the sewn-on over-vest make working with the collar quite difficult, and then there's extra material on the shirt as well. So for futzing, it's a bit tough IMO.

I was thinking I should take the cane and robe from one of the Hasbro Emperor figures, but I'm not sure if I bought either of them. It'd work for either figure in this set, put it on the Palps figure and you have Ep 1 Darth Sidious, put it on this Sid and you have ROTJ Palpatine (or a reasonable facsimile).