PDA

View Full Version : Wow, wave 6 is starting to look like crap!

bigbarada
07-30-2007, 03:51 AM
Just taking a close look at the hi-res photos of the Wave 6 ESB figures and I'm amazed at how bad most of them look. 4-LOM looks to be a HUGE disappointment especially when compared to the Bossk and IG-88 we got this year. Lando also looks really disappointing and Han has some wierd thing going on with his head like something is pushing out on his face from the inside.

And what's with the coin sculpts? Especially Lando and Han's? They look like they were drawn by some bored 14-year-old in his history class... in other words, amateurish and horrible.

The McQuarrie Rebel CO looks okay, but he's just a Major Derlin figure with a new head, not too hard to mess up.

The Concept Snowtrooper looks to be the best figure in this entire wave.... and that's pretty sad.

pegger
07-30-2007, 07:07 AM
I here you big b. And it's too bad too since this is gonna probably be the only Lando in smuggler's gear we're gonna get.

bigbarada
07-30-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Hasbro bit off more than they can chew this year. They're trying to put out too many figures in too short a period of time.

The constant delays and the shoddy quality of this latest wave really seem to imply that.

DarthBrandon
07-30-2007, 07:36 AM
They are better than nothing (Han & Lando the most) & the articulation is there for sure. I can see them looking better in person. These loose pictures are clearly proto & the coins I could care less about.

bigbarada
07-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I really don't care about the coins that much either, I was just shocked at how bad they looked.

I'm going to hold out hope that 4-LOM, Han and Lando will look okay when they're finally released, but I'm not going to be ordering these "blind" from an internet store. I'm going to wait until I can actually hold them in my hand before deciding whether to purchase them or not. Which means, at the rate these figures are being released, will be sometime around Christmas 2008.:cry:

JON9000
07-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Smuggler Lando is based heavily on VOTC Lando, so if you don't like that figure, you likely won't be much into this new one.

bigbarada
07-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Smuggler Lando is based heavily on VOTC Lando, so if you don't like that figure, you likely won't be much into this new one.

I actually liked that figure, but the shoulder area seemed to be made purposefully small to keep the cape from appearing too bulky. Without the cape, though, he just looks like a Nancy. Especially since it appears that Han is back on the steroids (check out the size of his arms and shoulders compared to his waist:eek: ).

Old Fossil
07-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I think the 4-LOM looks pretty darn good. A ball-jointed head, he has; and I think he also has a bendy midsection, which is nice. The weathering doesn't seem to be quite where it should be, but overall I'm excited about this figure, more than any other one in this wave... and I was one of the ones clamoring for a Smuggler Lando, and am relatively pleased with how that figure is looking, too.

At least this 4-LOM can do more than just stand around, propped up on his rifle.

figrin bran
07-30-2007, 10:43 AM
BigB, everything will look like a disappointment next to VTSC Bossk and IG-88!

I too like how 4-LOM turned out and he's the figure from this wave that I'm looking forward to the most. From earlier pics, it looked as if the ball joints in the elbows might be too bulky and detract from the overall look of the figure but in the latest pics, the joints are kind of "hidden" quite well.

bigbarada
07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Well, the sculpt and articulation on the new 4-LOM is leaps and bounds better than the POTF2 figure, but his paint deco is definitely inferior to that version. I was kind of hoping that we'd see the same "metallic" looking plastic that was used on VTAC IG-88 and not that drab grey color.

I know that the VTAC Bossk and IG-88 set the bar really high, but this figure's sculpting doesn't even look as crisp as the average figure in the standard line.

Devo
07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
It definitely isn't just you BigBarada, I found my opinion of the figures in this wave dropped a bit after seeing the hiRez pics.

I agree that the POTF2 4-Lom has a better paintjob. The Han figure yet again makes the error of using the overly skinny legs of the VOTC/VTSC figures which are mismatched to the proportions of this torso. And the head sculpt on Lando now looks pretty awful, the face is wrong and the hair juts out hideously from the angle shown in the photo. And although the trooper is well-executed from what I can tell I've never had any interest in getting concept figures.

Kidhuman
07-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Whats up with Lando's head? I think the 4LOM is good and Han is decent. The neck down on Lando is good too. Gen. McQuarrie is a decent figure and the Snowtrooper kicks major a55.

Devo
07-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Whats up with Lando's head? I think the 4LOM is good and Han is decent. The neck down on Lando is good too. Gen. McQuarrie is a decent figure and the Snowtrooper kicks major a55.

Are you asking what I think is wrong with Lando's head? He looks like satan, he looks like a leering demon with the open mouth, frown lines and poorly painted eyes. And the hair sticks out ridiculously at the back of his head, as is symptomatic of longish haired characters who have a ball-jointed neck.
Maybe it won't be quite so bad in person, the in-card photo looks alright, but I foresee doing more headswapping with older figures on this figure. I'm getting tired of having to do that. I really don't think I should have to be looking back to POTF2 and POTJ for the best headsculpts.

The Han figure will be worth it for the torture rack but the POTJ is a superior sculpt of the character himself in this outfit. Again, the legs are horribly anorexic and have a tendency to bend the wrong way, the mid-torso articulation looks quite noticeable, and the hands look silly with both of them in that permanent gun wielding position. Not very natural, sorta like POTF2.

kool-aid killer
07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Of these, the McSnowtrooper and McQuarrie rebel troop are the only ones im sold on. I like the Han torture rack, so i'll probably pick that up even though im indifferent to the figure. It could look real cool alongside my Bespin carbon freezer playset. Smuggler Lando doesnt look like a "must have" and unless 4-lom is superior to my POTF2 one i dont think i'll need him either.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-30-2007, 07:00 PM
I think they look pretty good, but those coins . . . jeez, those look like crap.

Kidhuman
07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
The Lando coin had me laughing. When did he have an Afro?

General_Grievous
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I never saw the Lando coin until KH pointed that out. Man, that's funny. :D

Personally I think the figures are okay.

DarkArtist
07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
the wave is alright by me, the concept figure is meh, wasn't really excited about getting another 4-Lom since it really didn't need to be updated. as far as Han would have liked a better face but will make do.

Sinscia Fat'o
07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, the sculpt and articulation on the new 4-LOM is leaps and bounds better than the POTF2 figure, but his paint deco is definitely inferior to that version. I was kind of hoping that we'd see the same "metallic" looking plastic that was used on VTAC IG-88 and not that drab grey color.

I know that the VTAC Bossk and IG-88 set the bar really high, but this figure's sculpting doesn't even look as crisp as the average figure in the standard line.

I wouldn't be to disappointed with 4-lom espically if you compare them to the vintage IG and Bossok we got this year. Besides more than likely 4-lom will get the same treatment in 2009 :)

I personally think this os one of the best waves of the year, i've been wanting an offical lando smuggler for years. (Now if i could just get that pesky Lando stormtrooper, i'd be closer to being happy). The concept figures all look great, espically the snow trooper, though i'm a huge fan of these anyway so it would be hard to screw them up real bad for me personally anyway. Han torture rack figure will look better in person im sure and besides the key to the figure is the cool torture rack, the han figure is kinda well...not needed but a nice pack in :)

jjreason
08-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Hmmm. Lando looks fine to me, Han not so much (I don't like the face or the hair based on that pic). 4-LOM will be fine.

Tycho
08-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I echo a lot of your sentiments concerning the quality (or lack thereof) in paint application, and to varying degrees on sculpt or the machine application toward producing such sculpts.

I think I was initially excited about getting so many off our Fan-Voted List this year:

# 3 Herme Odle
# 6 Lando Smuggler
# 7 CZ-9
# 17 Han Bespin Torture
# 22 M'iiyoom Onith
# 23 Jango Fett out of armor
# 33 Elis Helrot
# 39 Clone Trooper Red Jumpsuit
# 44 Biggs Darklighter Academy Uniform
# 50 Padme Black Leather Temptation

That's 10 from our Top 50 right there!

Compared with an equal amount of progress for 2006:

# 1 Hem Dazon
# 2 General Veers
# 10 Moff Jerjerrod
# 12 R5-D4
# 13 General Tagge
# 19 Colonel Wulf Yularen
# 25 Luke Endor
# 37 Major Derlin
# 40 Chief Chirpa
# 41 Rep Been

And 2005:

# 36 Anakin (AOTC) Jedi Robes - but in Evolutions and not single-carded :upset:

That's 21 out of 50 figures we voted for on SSG, but I have strong suspicions we'll see in 2008:

# 15 Bom Vimdim
# 43 Woof (vintage Klaatu)
# 47 Black Bespin Guard
# 48 Mother Ewok with baby Wokling
# 49 Tonbuck Toora (Separatist)

Which will make it at least 26 out of 50 voted for being done.

But these are hitting the bottom of the barrel and I am seriously buying less and less Star Wars figures in spite of the fact that I will buy more than 1 of any of the above.

The Expanded Universe will have to sustain Star Wars, inclusive of the TV shows and their potential figures.

jedi master sal
08-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Don't forget the video game figures. The Force Unleashed line is going to be a major subline next year. Hasbro is banking on its popularity.

pegger
08-02-2007, 09:25 AM
There aren't a whole lot of figures left to do. I have my own list (of every character in the film), and aside from some necessary resculpts (i.e. Luke and Han in stormtrooper gear) there aren't a lot of interesting sculpts left...

Which is good news for my wallet...

Tycho
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Don't forget the video game figures. The Force Unleashed line is going to be a major subline next year. Hasbro is banking on its popularity.

I may buy an X-Box to specifically play the Transformers game but be Force-Unleashed ready. But honestly, the game doesn't interest me too much. And collecting figures from it interests me even less.

jedi master sal
08-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I may buy an X-Box to specifically play the Transformers game but be Force-Unleashed ready. But honestly, the game doesn't interest me too much. And collecting figures from it interests me even less.

Fair enough. I didn't just mean Force Unleashed either though. With the two Darths from KOTOR, there's more of a chance the rest fo the figs from that game will come out. Also getting Darth Nihlus next year is a strong indication we'll see more from KOTOR II. Also there's Nym from the Starfighter games. There's more characters to tap the well from in games so that can help keep the line going.

bigbarada
08-02-2007, 01:52 PM
There aren't a whole lot of figures left to do. I have my own list (of every character in the film), and aside from some necessary resculpts (i.e. Luke and Han in stormtrooper gear) there aren't a lot of interesting sculpts left...

Which is good news for my wallet...

My want list is shrinking more an more as well.

From the prequels, I'm just waiting to see if the rumors of an AT-TE are true, that's all I care about.

From ANH, we really just need new sculpts of Dr. Evazan, Walrusman, the Cantina Band Member (packed with all five instruments), and an ANH TIE Fighter Pilot (SA with the grey stripes down the front of his helmet).

From ESB.... Zuckuss, an ESB version of Boba Fett and that's it. New versions of Luke, Leia and Han are pretty much a given, so I don't even include those on my want list.

From ROTJ, I have a huge want list, because it's probably the most neglected of all the films in terms of action figures. Primarily there are the Skiff Guards, we haven't seen a single one of these guys in almost 9 years. In fact, the Skiff Guards take up the first 8 spots on my top ten most wanted list. Then Jabba's Palace, where there are several never-before-made figures and resculpts that must be done. Rebel Pilots, Officers, Mon Calamari, Ewoks.... the list goes on of characters that really need more attention from Hasbro.

But I understand Hasbro's reluctance, after all there are sooooo many more Clonetroopers to be made.:rolleyes:

AmanaMatt
08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Big Barada,

I feel the same way on 4-Lom. Compared to the detail of Bossk or Ig-88, there is no comparison. I get grumpy when people saw that we get vintage level quality figures in the basic line - its much closer in quality now, but NOT the same.

I have two issues with 4LOm: the lacking paint detail and the arms. While I love that he is SA, but he does not have detailed protocol arms (an example of the perfect arm detail would be K3P0).

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
That's 21 out of 50 figures we voted for on SSG, but I have strong suspicions we'll see in 2008:

# 15 Bom Vimdim
# 43 Woof (vintage Klaatu)
# 47 Black Bespin Guard
# 48 Mother Ewok with baby Wokling
# 49 Tonbuck Toora (Separatist)

Didn't Hasbro say that Bom Vimdim, Ewok w/ Wokling and Toonbuck Toora were coming next year?

Tycho
08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Didn't Hasbro say that Bom Vimdim, Ewok w/ Wokling and Toonbuck Toora were coming next year?

I'm not sure about Bom Vimdim. As to the other two, yes, they said they're doing them. I can't take them off our list until I see the hardcopy prototype that goes into production (likely Pre-ToyFair or ToyFair time - so that could be as late as February 2008. Remember TAC is moving so slow because of the *great* distribution plan for Saga Legends, that next year "is also" the 30th Anniversary for Star Wars, too. :rolleyes: )

With Bom Vimdim, unless they confirmed something more, a Q&A session asked about:

Ariel Schlos
a human smuggler
Bom Vimdim

- all from the cantina.

Hasbro said, "One of those." Now Ariel Schlos would be another wolfman (though the Defel version with red eyes) at a time after Lak Sivrak (different sculpt entirely) and the Shistavinnian Jedi from Clone Wars have both been released. Unless this is the Universal Studios werewolf line, I'd doubt it'll be Schlos this soon.

The human smuggler is sort of boring by comparison. They can sell humans with names like Biggs Darklighter or Conceptual Han Solo (Ralph McQuarrie) but come on: I want random Tatooine Moisture Farmers or Talon Karrde's men like Fynn Torve, Aves, and Ghent - but how likely is that? And a random human from the cantina?

Bom Vimdim is highly noticeable in pics from ANH and The Holiday Speacial. It'll be him. But like I said, he's not off the list until I see a hardcopy.

pegger
08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
The human in the yellow space suit would be cool.

But I agree with you - it would most likely be an alien. Bom would be a nice addition.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Remember TAC is moving so slow because of the *great* distribution plan for Saga Legends, that next year "is also" the 30th Anniversary for Star Wars, too. :rolleyes:

Well technically, next year is the 30th Anniversary of Kenner's original Star Wars toys, so the TAC could still apply.

bigbarada
08-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Well technically, next year is the 30th Anniversary of Kenner's original Star Wars toys, so the TAC could still apply.

I was just about to say something about that. The action figures didn't arrive into stores until spring 1978. Lucas had such a hard time finding a toy license and Kenner signed on almost at the last minute. There was a one year lead time for action figures, so nothing but a few board games and puzzles were available when the movie was in theaters. That's why Kenner came up with the "Early Bird" fiasco when Christmas rolled around (it's looked back on with nostalgia now, but the toy company took a huge thrashing from the media for selling an empty box to kids for Christmas in 1977).

figrin bran
08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Fair enough. I didn't just mean Force Unleashed either though. With the two Darths from KOTOR, there's more of a chance the rest fo the figs from that game will come out. Also getting Darth Nihlus next year is a strong indication we'll see more from KOTOR II. Also there's Nym from the Starfighter games. There's more characters to tap the well from in games so that can help keep the line going.

I remember seeing Nihilus and Bastila on a rumor list. The former came to fruition in the Evo packs so we're probably getting Bastila. Hopefully HK-47 too to go with all the other organic meatbags :p

jedi master sal
08-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I remember seeing Nihilus and Bastila on a rumor list. The former came to fruition in the Evo packs so we're probably getting Bastila. Hopefully HK-47 too to go with all the other organic meatbags :p

Oh yeah brother! He's my Favorite character from KOTOR. I had him as my av here for sometime. I like it's "personality". MEAT BAG

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 09:18 PM
This wave wasn't doing it for me, but it was in a place I didn't get a good look for a while. Every time I went back and looked a little more, I liked it a little more, but it never floored me.

Don't forget the video game figures. The Force Unleashed line is going to be a major subline next year. Hasbro is banking on its popularity."Banking"??? They've got 1 wave tooled up and claim they don't have plans yet for another, that's hardly banking in my book. Granted, SOTE was banking that way but 11 years ago there weren't many figures coming out in a year so a single wave could be an entire quarter's product. For FU though they've got 1 wave of basic figures, no vehicles that we know of, no Titaniums - that's not even Clone Wars-level.

pbarnard
08-06-2007, 12:24 AM
"Banking"??? They've got 1 wave tooled up and claim they don't have plans yet for another, that's hardly banking in my book. Granted, SOTE was banking that way but 11 years ago there weren't many figures coming out in a year so a single wave could be an entire quarter's product. For FU though they've got 1 wave of basic figures, no vehicles that we know of, no Titaniums - that's not even Clone Wars-level.

And never forget the only thing preventing the release/mass production is that programing of the game has hit a snag and could be delayed for even longer than the estimation of next year. I remember they wanted to do a Jedi Knight 3 (Dark Forces 4???) but instead ended up with X-Box Obi-Wan, and Jedi Academy came out much later.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah, that little 2-quarter delay was a real blow to this title, and if they delay again I suspect the momentum will end up in the toilet - it's never a good sign with a game has to go back to the drawing board for that long, look at Superman Returns.