PDA

View Full Version : It isn't friendly, whatever it is...

stillakid
07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
In Empire, the gang is sitting around listening to the Probe Droid signal...just a bunch of weird beeps and screeches. It's pretty much the same noises for the thirty seconds they all talk about it, but then Han suddenly gets a worried look on his face and says, "It isn't friendly, whatever it is" as if he just heard something different.

Then the scene cuts to the Exterior and the Droid lowers its antennae and floats away.

So, what on earth (Hoth) does Han hear that makes him think that the noises aren't friendly?

bigbarada
07-31-2007, 12:43 AM
That line was a relic from the original version of the script. A Wampa was supposed to attack the Probe Droid and the droid vaporizes the beast, prompting Han to realize that the droid was a threat. I think they were supposed to be watching it on video as opposed to just listening to it.

As for an in-movie explanation... I don't have one. :confused:

CaptainSolo1138
07-31-2007, 07:52 AM
That line was a relic from the original version of the script. A Wampa was supposed to attack the Probe Droid and the droid vaporizes the beast, prompting Han to realize that the droid was a threat. I think they were supposed to be watching it on video as opposed to just listening to it.

As for an in-movie explanation... I don't have one. :confused:
Sorry, BigB, but that answer ain't gonna fly here. It makes way too much sense. ;)

2-1B
07-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Poor writing by Larry Kasdan.

He also wrote The Phantom Menace.

stillakid
07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Poor writing by Larry Kasdan.

He also wrote The Phantom Menace.

That's incorrect. Nobody wrote The Phantom Menace. They made it up as they went.

2-1B
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
No stillakid, that was Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Phantom Clones that you are thinking about.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Various possibilities...

SERIOUS ANSWER:
Akaryd [sp?] Industries was the maker, I believe, and if such an expensive device was found on a remote ice world, in good condition, it would be unusual.

LAME-O SERIOUS ANSWER:
Nothing should've been on Hoth. It wasn't the style of probe the Rebellion used. Therefore, it was probably a bad thing.

SARCASTIC ANSWER:
Han knew that anything in black is a bad guy, and anything in white is a good guy.

STUPID ANSWER:
Han thought he heard "red rum" in the hum of noises and had a Force vision of blood rushing into Echo Base. He then had an urge to find a vibroblade and hack into the medical ward doorway.

NON SEQUITOR ANSWER:
The dorsal fin of the tiger shark is often used to ward off smaller prey, while also providing stability during both fast escapes and long-distance travel. Polynesian fishermen often called it "ha aala," meaning "cow lick."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Perhaps he just had a bad feeling about it. That seems to happen a lot throughout the series.

Rocketboy
07-31-2007, 07:16 PM
I thought everyone knew what evil droids sounded like.
:confused:

SARCASTIC ANSWER:
Han knew that anything in black is a bad guy, and anything in white is a good guy.But Lando is a good guy...eventually.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-31-2007, 09:28 PM
I thought everyone knew what evil droids sounded like.
:confused:That's my thought. It sounded unfriendly. Plus, if it was friendly, it would've come to the base and introduce itself.

NON SEQUITOR ANSWER:
The dorsal fin of the tiger shark is often used to ward off smaller prey, while also providing stability during both fast escapes and long-distance travel. Polynesian fishermen often called it "ha aala," meaning "cow lick."That's it! BCJ has the answer, and I'm sure the nerf-herding penguins are with him!

stillakid
07-31-2007, 09:37 PM
That's my thought. It sounded unfriendly. Plus, if it was friendly, it would've come to the base and introduce itself.

Perhaps, but Han's expression had a noticeable change just prior to him saying the line. So something "extra" happened" that made him say what he did, not just the inference that a strange droid with incomprehensible beeps could be unfriendly.

General_Grievous
07-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Here's an easy answer. Right before Han said that, Threepio said "Sir, this signal is not used by the alliance. It could be an Imperial code."

stillakid
07-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Here's an easy answer. Right before Han said that, Threepio said "Sir, this signal is not used by the alliance. It could be an Imperial code."

True, but Han's answer all but disregarded that when he said, "Well, it isn't friendly, whatever it is."

The point is that his statement infers that HE heard something that made him believe that it wasn't friendly. However, the soundtrack never significantly changes from the stream of beeps. Had there been an explosion or some other "evil " noise that was different from the previous twenty seconds, then his reaction might make sense. But as the movie is, his reaction is rather out of the blue and seems unjustified.

El Chuxter
08-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Han speaks fluent Droid. He understood that the probot was saying, "Dude, I bet you can't guess what I am. But here's a hint: I'm not friendly."

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Han speaks fluent Droid. He understood that the probot was saying,Actually, you're partially true there, Chux. What the probot said was "all your base belong to us," and as Han was on patrol for Echo Base, he knew this was an unfriendly object.

darko666
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Perhaps, but Han's expression had a noticeable change just prior to him saying the line. So something "extra" happened" that made him say what he did

the rumours of why Chewbaaca is really his partner were starting to spread. Han knew he had to silence the source.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I think they were probably all concerned to begin with. Then Threepio says it could be an Imperial Code. I'm not looking at the video at the moment, but the screenplay says the transmission ends in static just before Han makes his comment.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 09:52 PM
That's a good point, 3PO confirms what everybody was suspecting already, which prompts Han to make the leap to the next step in the logic chain.

Either that or Han's ability to understand the Wookiee language is just hinting at far greater powers. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2007, 10:01 PM
The thing that bothered me more about the whole thing is that after Han saw it, he didn't seem certain what it was. You'd think he would have recognized an Imperial probe droid.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 01:28 AM
The thing that bothered me more about the whole thing is that after Han saw it, he didn't seem certain what it was. You'd think he would have recognized an Imperial probe droid.
Eyes must have been windburned. :p