PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis

pbarnard
08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070802/ap_on_re_us/minnesota_bridge_collapse_16;_ylt=AmMTqPwsFhn7RUCM mGcVCtwE1vAI

Most impressive. Cars, boats, bridge parts in the river.

Counting myself lucky because I drove across it a few months ago.

Kidhuman
08-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I saw this on ESPNews just now. At least 3 dead so far. They canceled the Twins/Royals game tomorrow for this tragedy.

General_Grievous
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
It's six confirmed dead now. Children were evacuated from a bus that was involved.

timmae
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
wow, was thinking of a collapse when i drove over the chesapeake bay bridge a few days ago. too bad they had to work all day before it happened.

Rebo's_Guitarist
08-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I just saw this about an hour ago as I was out and about. I just cant grasp that the entire bridge just fell apart like it did, I just cant. When I first heard about it, I thought it was something like the one that happened out in CA a month or so ago, not OVER THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

Reports were that it passed inspections in 05 and 06 with only minor repairs needed. My opinion is that something will come out saying that something major was overlooked.

There is / was a train bridge underneath, and one happened to be passing under. The falling bridge sliced the train in half.

Even being ~140 miles north, its still a pretty big hit. My sister goes to school in the Twin Cities, most of my fiances family lives down there, not to mention other forumites live down there. I hope all is well with you Todd.

UKWildcat
08-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I have a good friend who crosses that bridge everyday and I immediately called him after I heard about what had happened; thankfully he was not on the bridge when the collapse occurred.