PDA

View Full Version : Great Band/Album Names

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2007, 01:35 AM
I was looking through the new releases on iTunes and came across something that inspired me to start this thread. The band is called "Five Finger Death Punch", and the album is called The Way of the Fist. I was both cracking up and thinking "Hell yeah!" at the same time when I saw that band name/album name combination. As you might guess, most of the album appears to be heavy metal with one of those growly death metal vocals.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 04:55 PM
In this day and age of crappy band names (Panic at the Disco), it's hard to think of good ones. Rage Against the Machine is a good name, I guess.

darko666
08-02-2007, 07:40 PM
As you might guess, most of the album appears to be heavy metal with one of those growly death metal vocals.

nothing wrong with that.

this is one of my favs: The County Medical Examiners - "Olidous Operettas"

some goregrind by three actual Doctors. they are fans of Carcass and never play live shows.

2-1B
08-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Obituary "Cause of Death"

JetsAndHeels
08-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Band called Acid Bath....album is "When the kite string pops."

Freaky cover, looks like they used serial killer John Gacy as their inspiration with the clown look.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 11:07 PM
For some reason, that album cover reminds me of the clown in the View Askew logo from the beginning of "Clerks".

JetsAndHeels
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Gacy was a creepy guy..for obvious reasons. The clown thing makes it even weirder IMO.

Looking at Gacy in the outfit, that band HAD to have used him as the idea for it.

General_Grievous
08-03-2007, 12:34 AM
He actually looks creepier than the Pennywise the Clown from "It".

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2007, 12:57 AM
As you might guess, most of the album appears to be heavy metal with one of those growly death metal vocals.

nothing wrong with that. Indeed. Normally it's not my thing, but the clips sounded all right.

I can recall going into the record store in high school and seeing some of the Dead Kennedys' albums, with songs like "Too Drunk To F***" and "Nazi Punks F*** Off". In college, there was a paper called The Rocket that covered the northwest music scene. I used to enjoy looking at the show listings just to see the names of some of the bands. Fudge Tunnel was a good one. I also recall seeing the name "Liquored Up" in there as well. Even funnier, they were playing at the Lake Union Pub. Liquored Up at the Lake Union Pub.

I was thinking that Fudge Tunnel was from the northwest, but apparently they were from Nottingham, England. They had some good album titles:

Hate Songs in E Minor
Creep Diets
The Complicated Futility of Ignorance

vader121
08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
How about some Metal classics like ...

Metallica - Master Of Puppets, Ride the Lightning
Slayer - Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits
Megadeth - Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?, Skull Beneath the Skin
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

General_Grievous
08-03-2007, 11:39 AM
A good album title from a few years back is Blink 182's "Take off Your Pants and Jacket" :lipsrsealed:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2007, 06:43 PM
How about some Metal classics like ...

Metallica - Master Of Puppets, Ride the Lightning
Slayer - Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits
Megadeth - Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?, Skull Beneath the Skin
Queensryche - Operation MindcrimeI only recently discovered that the riff in Public Enemy's "She Watch Channel Zero" was from Slayer's "Angel of Death".

arctangent
08-06-2007, 05:00 AM
I was thinking that Fudge Tunnel was from the northwest, but apparently they were from Nottingham, England. They had some good album titles:

Hate Songs in E Minor
Creep Diets
The Complicated Futility of Ignorance

also from the same area were a group called Lawnmower Death. and they released a semi-funny album called Crickey! Here Come... Lawnmower Death!

JON9000
08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Family Dollar Pharoahs

JetsAndHeels
08-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Digital Underground's album entitled "Sex Packets" is still one of the best.

JON9000
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
In terms of cadence and phonetics, "Electric Ladyland" is a great title

JimJamBonds
08-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Easy. The band? Boston. The album? Boston.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2007, 08:22 PM
There's a band whose name I can't type here because it is a four letter word that begins with f, ends in ck and rhymes with "duck". Anyway, they had an album called Pardon My French, which seems to go well with their band name. I just noticed that they had some other interesting album titles, such as Baby Loves a Funny Bunny.

There used to be a local band here, whose name might also not survive the auto-censor. However, they didn't pronounce it like you might think. Instead, they called themselves "ah-SWEE-pay."

Edit - arctangent mentioned Lawnmower Death. I was looking to see if @sswipe was on iTunes. I didn't expect to find it, but I found a song by Lawnmower Deth called "A is for @sswipe."

arctangent
08-08-2007, 06:19 AM
Edit - arctangent mentioned Lawnmower Death. I was looking to see if @sswipe was on iTunes. I didn't expect to find it, but I found a song by Lawnmower Deth called "A is for @sswipe."

ha! i forgot they spelt death deth, not death! it was a long time ago though.

i seem to recal they did a cover version of kim wilde's kids in america.

mabudonicus
08-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I can trhink of a few names I can't even suggest on this site- "Fecal Position" being about the only one on the list, even that might get the axe now that I've gone and posted it, but I can't say that phrase without laughing

There was one album by The Rods (I think) called "We Never heard of You, Either"- album STUNK but the titles good

Ravens "Nothing Exceeds Like Excess" is a fine title with some good tunes on it

Anvils "Absolutely NO Alternative" (in reference to 'alternative music', not a situation) and "Plugged in Permanent" are fine choices

And Manowar hit one out of the park with "Into Glory Ride"

Gamma Rays "Insanity and Genius" is good
:beard: Iso & Baws

InsaneJediGirl
08-31-2007, 11:33 PM
I always thought My Bloody Valentine had a pretty good band name.Same for Pinhead Gunpowder, nothing like being named after tea.

As for albums, The Cramps "Date with Elvis" or "What's Inside A Girl" are goodies, Meatloaf's "Bat Out of He!!" would be too if he didnt keep using it :)

If I formed a band though, I'd name it Two Strings and a Pimp. Just for laughs and stupidity.

El Chuxter
09-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Eazy-E's It's On (Dr Dre) 187 'Um Killa

Eazy was a little mad at the Doctor when he released that.