PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - August 3rd

JediTricks
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
The first Q&A back from Comic-Con. It's Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for August 3rd, 2007. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of August 3rd

Q: There are plenty of classic Kenner vehicle molds still in service today, many of which enjoy modifications to the tooling for various purposes. However, one aspect that almost never changes is the cockpits and interiors of the vehicles, leaving them under-detailed and unappealing compared to all-new vehicles. Vehicles, such as the TIE Fighter and Snowspeeder for example, are little more than blank seats for their figures. Will we ever see updated interiors on vehicles such as these, and if not, why?
A: Up until now, we have just been focusing on exterior (visible from the outside) mods. That's a great suggestion to consider for the next time we do some classic vehicles, and we'll look into it.

- -

Q: In your response to the question of individual figure pricing in battle packs vs basic figure single cards, you stated that one of the major factors as to why the figures in Battle Packs can often be produced for less per unit is because the tooling for them already exists and thus doesn't factor into the cost of reusing it - that argument is consistent with prior comments made by Hasbro about costs and mold development. Since that is the case, why is it that the various recent Greatest Hits basic figure lines such as Saga Legends have been the same MSRP as the new, non-refresh, basic main-line figures? (Please be aware that we understand consumer pricing is set by retailers and not by Hasbro, but we also know that retailers set their prices based in no small part on how much they're paying per unit so when Hasbro raises retailers' costs, retailers pass that on to consumers, hence the across-the-board price increases.)
A: The SRP for all basic figures is the same, whether or not they are 30th Anniv or Saga Legends. If we reduced the price of Saga Legends, it would draw an unfavorable (and confusing to the average consumer) value comparison to the 30th line. We want to keep our tooling budget healthy for our mainline figures, and pricing parity helps protect our ability to deliver more new figures like we have been doing this year.

- -

Q: Many fans feel that the Super Articulated Clone Trooper mold from the ROTS line is the best version of this figure, however there are several problems with the sculpt that continue to show up including: upside-down belt packs, one elbowpad strap smaller than the other, different-heights on the knee joints and a 1mm variance from the left to right upper leg leading to leaning figures, and an asymmetrical "cheek" sculpt on the helmet. Will these issues ever be addressed on future figures?
A: The belt pack issue is an assmbly error and one we CAN address, but the rest are a little trickier. There are multiple unique sets of tools used in the production of the SA Clones, and what you are seeing may be inherent variety in the different sets. We will take a look at the issues you have pointed out to see if there is anything identify the tools from which these originate and anything we can do to correct, but it may not alway be possible until we have a need to create a new set of Clone tools.

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1384):

- The number of Mos Eisley Cantina patrons who have yet to be immortalized as action figures grows smaller every year as more and more of these iconic scum and villainy are made. One of those still-yet-to-be-made characters could be created partly using existing tooling: the other Duros, Baniss Keeg - the one wearing the red tunic seen sitting next to Ellors Madak. Baniss could be made using the existing POTJ Ellors Madak head sculpt and perhaps recycling other parts from him as well, plus limbs with a little more added poseability. So what say you to the idea of a Baniss Keeg figure?
- With the excitement generated by Sideshow's 12" figure line, does Hasbro have any regrets about cancelling their 12" line, especially since it's clear that there is a strong market for high-quality 12" Star Wars figures? Did Hasbro recognize a deficiency in their 12" Star Wars product which didn't meet consumer's expectations of quality leading to a lack of success, and was that a chief factor behind the decision to end it? Is there anything that in hindsight Hasbro would have done differently with the 12" line to keep it in-house?
- When putting already-released vehicles in new packaging, why do you re-release vehicles that were already out in the previous year's line instead of waiting a while for demand to build back up again? Isn't there the chance of burnout from kids and collectors alike, seeing Obi-Wan and Anakin paint jobs on Jedi Starfighters year in and year out? Why re-release something like Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter in new packaging only months after a previous line's rerelease when there are still some vehicles that haven't been re-released in years like the Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter or the Snowspeeder?

Kidhuman
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, they sub-contract the 12" to sideshow, did not know that. I wonder if thats why the prices are high so SS can get a cut on the action too as well as Hasbro.

I wasnt to thrilled with the answer on the BP's vs the Saga Legends.

Tycho
08-03-2007, 08:11 PM
I also think the SideShow figures are limited much moreso than Hasbro's 12".

As to the interior of the vehicles? I'm not sure I care. There might be the occasional ship where that is not the case, but...

Real Answer to Saga Legends vs. Battle Packs: "We won't stick the Saga Legends on a different card size so the assortments won't get mixed up with TAC. So meanwhile, as we reap higher returns off old molds, we also don't burden our retailers who don't hire above the minimum wage and consequently above the minimum effort."

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I'd say that Saga Legends answer makes sense. Just because they are existing molds and are cheaper to make doesn't mean they have to lower the price on them. If that is the case, they could lower the price on some basic figures as well. I think they've said in the past that they have to take into account the cost of the whole line when determining how much detail and articulation they can put into figures. I think that by keeping the price the same on the Legends figures, that means more revenue they can put back into making quality new figures. In theory anyway.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Well, they sub-contract the 12" to sideshow, did not know that. I wonder if thats why the prices are high so SS can get a cut on the action too as well as Hasbro. I actually did know it, and I kicked myself (proverbially ;)) when I saw they devoted most of the answer to something I could have sidestepped if I had thought about it. I don't think the SW prices are any higher for product than their other licenses though.

I wasnt to thrilled with the answer on the BP's vs the Saga Legends.Really? I thought it made a lot of sense. I don't love it, but it makes a compelling argument for how profits from one area can affect another, while market perceptions can completely break a good line.

As to the interior of the vehicles? I'm not sure I care. There might be the occasional ship where that is not the case, but...Well, then I'm glad you aren't the one editing these Q&As as I would have been bummed had that question and subsequent positive answer never happened. I love the interiors, I think they can make or break a good SW vehicle - look at the SOTE Slave I, it looks perfectly acceptable from the outside, why replace it? Oh, right, because it's completely undetailed inside. Or snowspeeders with no control surfaces, stickers making up visual details for TIE Fighter pods, flat panels in the Y-wing, and so forth.

Jargo
08-05-2007, 11:39 PM
the other Duros, Baniss Keeg - the one wearing the red tunic seen sitting next to Ellors Madak

Red? it's olive/tan. there's a red light in the booth which casts a glow. plus most pictures are old and have an amber tint partly from studio lighting but also because the source material has aged and yellowed. it's definitely a greeny yellow costume. look at the Bannis Keeg in the galactic heroes cinema scene and it seems LFL and hasbro agree.

I also agree that vehicle cockpit interiors are lacking. it wouldn't take that much to create a series of thin 3D sculpted panels that could simply be glued on where the stickers used to go. or just poke holes through the cockpit panels and include the sculpted cockpit panels with pilot figures in the way that TPM anakin N1 starfighter pilot came with cockpit controls that clipped on.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Hey, at least they were already thinking about Baniss, I gotta give them props for that.

Kidhuman
08-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Really? I thought it made a lot of sense. I don't love it, but it makes a compelling argument for how profits from one area can affect another, while market perceptions can completely break a good line.

It does make sense, but not thrilled about it.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I know, I'd love for basic prices to go back down a buck through that, but apparently it's not in the cards.