PDA

View Full Version : Sideshw LOTR collection...

jedibear
08-05-2007, 10:48 AM
The Hobbits are going on PPO on Monday Aug 06....
I swore I wasn't going to get pulled into another line, but these figures are too cool to pass up when you see them...

The same great attention to detail as the SW collection...if you're a fan, now is the time with the Hobbits' impending appearance...

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 11:59 PM
The Hobbits are PRICEY though! They look good, and they have a ton of accessories, but man is it hard to look at a $70 pricetag for a 9" figure and not think twice. But yeah, this line is about to take off.

Why are they making me wait so long for 12" Gandalf though? It's like they hate me. :p

Jayspawn
08-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I hear that JT. Those Hobbits are expensive! WAY more than Boromir or Aragorn. That just sounds wrong by principle.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 04:18 AM
Yeah, and they know it's how a lot of collectors feel, but they're sticking with "we loaded them up with accessories"... doesn't make it any easier to get past for me though.

Jayspawn
08-12-2007, 10:29 AM
That doesnt do it for me either.

I'm really looking forwars to 12" Gandalf (grey or white -both would be sweet) and Saruman the White. Gotta have Saruman!

evenflow
08-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I ordered them but the price is just ridiculous for them. I was expecting around 40.00 each, not for them to be more expensive than a regular 12 inch figure. I guess becuase they had to partner with Hot toys to develop a body but they should have been able to do that on their own so i am not accepting that reason. I guess i am justifying the order becuase i am not buying these all. I just have Strider and Legolas. I have Sam and Frodo on order and the only others i plan to order when the time comes are Gandalf, Gimli, Sauron, and Saruman.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 10:48 PM
That doesnt do it for me either.

I'm really looking forwars to 12" Gandalf (grey or white -both would be sweet) and Saruman the White. Gotta have Saruman!
Yeah, same here, 12" Gandalf (either) probably would be the crown jewel in the collection, they know it so they're dragging it out to keep us hooked - that's my theory anyway. ;)

RooJay
08-17-2007, 04:58 AM
I had to get them (LOTR has unfortunately replaced Star Wars as my all-time favorite movie trilogy), but yeah they sure are expensive!

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not tied to the Hobbits the same way I am to the other members of the fellowship, even in my extremely limited ToyBiz collection, it's Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and Gandalf all standing there looking ready for action - I have a second Aragorn, Legolas, and Gandalf, and an Uruk-hai I got on clearance, and the King of the Dead because I'm a sucker for GITD. But I have never felt drawn to buying the Hobbit action figures in any scale, and it's not that I dislike the characters or anything, they're just not something I've ever felt I needed representations of.

So my bank account is very lucky on that one. :p

Jayspawn
08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
My favorite so far is the Gandalf the Grey Statue SS did a few years ago. So far its my prized. I still regret not getting the Minas Morgul Enviroment when I had the chance.

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Well, 12" Gandalf the Gray is coming in 10-12 days, and I pretty much don't know how I'm going to afford this $100 figure, but I can assume I won't be buying any other figures that week.

mm74md
10-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I got the Gandalf notice as well. I'm pretty excited for this one. I hear you about the $$$ though.

I was able to pick up the Samwise exclusive over the weekend for $27.85 shipped using the $50 SSC giftcard that came with the Best Buy Iron Man gift set. That was a sweet deal - $40 for the DVD, decent Iron Man Bust (paper weight!) and gift card.

I'm looking forward to the gift card that comes with the Indy gift set to get Frodo.

jedibear
10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
When it rains, it pours....had to cancel this one too.
Oh well....hopefully he'll come up on second chance when the finances settle down a little.
Someday post some pics when you get him!

RooJay
10-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I got the Gandalf notice as well. I'm pretty excited for this one. I hear you about the $$$ though.

I was able to pick up the Samwise exclusive over the weekend for $27.85 shipped using the $50 SSC giftcard that came with the Best Buy Iron Man gift set. That was a sweet deal - $40 for the DVD, decent Iron Man Bust (paper weight!) and gift card.

I'm looking forward to the gift card that comes with the Indy gift set to get Frodo.

If I hadn't already bought them, that would have been an excellent use for my typically useless Sideshow Gift Cards! Gift Card rather - since they are not able to be combined.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 03:16 AM
I have so many gift cards, combination would be awesome.

jedibear
10-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Not only combination possibilites would be nice, but the ability to apply them to ANYTHING they sell, not just what they can't move out of the warehouse. Oh well....the cards are better than nothing I suppose.

I used the one that came with my "Iron Man" DVD set to pick up Frodo. I couldn't bring myself to pay $70 for this figure, but $50 off helped a lot.

He's a nice figure...good sculpt, paint apps and well-tailored outfit. The joints on this one are okay, but those spilt shins! Ouch...they are pretty noticeable, especially the right one. Still, he'll look good on display with the rest of the LOTR gang.

Here's an initial shot right out of the box. (JT...tried your idea with the slightly blurred background...LMK what you think)....I'll post more over the weekend after some futzing...

RooJay
10-23-2008, 02:17 AM
Has anyone ever seen whether or not they actually sell gift cards directly as opposed to only giving them away? That would be pretty messed up to get a Sideshow Gift Card from an unsuspecting family member or friend who didn't know that it would be useless.

Not only combination possibilites would be nice, but the ability to apply them to ANYTHING they sell, not just what they can't move out of the warehouse. Oh well....the cards are better than nothing I suppose.

I used the one that came with my "Iron Man" DVD set to pick up Frodo. I couldn't bring myself to pay $70 for this figure, but $50 off helped a lot.

He's a nice figure...good sculpt, paint apps and well-tailored outfit. The joints on this one are okay, but those spilt shins! Ouch...they are pretty noticeable, especially the right one. Still, he'll look good on display with the rest of the LOTR gang.

Here's an initial shot right out of the box. (JT...tried your idea with the slightly blurred background...LMK what you think)....I'll post more over the weekend after some futzing...

I notice that a lot of people take issue with Sideshow over the splits in the shins of the Hobbits, but what a lot of people don't seem to realize is that Hot Toys is actually responsible for the design and production of that body. Interesting again since Hot Toys tends to seem a little more consistent with higher quality production.

jedibear
10-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, Roojay...I like this figure...a lot. Those split shins are a bit of a drag, and I'm just commenting on how much mine are pretty visible , especially for a part of the figure that's so exposed. Can't speak for HT figures in general...never bought one.

After futzing with this figure and taking some more shots, I'd say he's as good quality as any other LOTR character that SS has offered...and I like 'em all.

Here's a couple more shots...

JediTricks
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Gandalf charges tomorrow, I should have mine in a few days then. I'm not excited yet, I fear the pricepoint has brought me down, Sideshow's been kinda a bummer like that lately for me, but I want to dig it.

Not only combination possibilites would be nice, but the ability to apply them to ANYTHING they sell, not just what they can't move out of the warehouse. Oh well....the cards are better than nothing I suppose.Yeah, even if we weren't talking about preorders, at least EVERYTHING in stock should be gift cardable.

He's a nice figure...good sculpt, paint apps and well-tailored outfit. The joints on this one are okay, but those spilt shins! Ouch...they are pretty noticeable, especially the right one. Still, he'll look good on display with the rest of the LOTR gang.Interesting get, glad you like him. Sucks about the shin issue, I guess manufacturing wasn't quite up to snuff on this part because it is really obvious in your later pics.

Here's an initial shot right out of the box. (JT...tried your idea with the slightly blurred background...LMK what you think)....I'll post more over the weekend after some futzing...Funny you'd try this with a Hobbit figure since in the film their height was achieved via special effects. :p It's hard to tell how much it helps here, but when I masked off the figure from above the knees, it definitely looks more realistic than a wide open lens. (I chose the knees because those shins rip all realism away and say "LOOK AT MY PLASTICKNESS!!!" ;)). I think it looks good overall, but probably would have looked fine either way in this case.

Has anyone ever seen whether or not they actually sell gift cards directly as opposed to only giving them away? That would be pretty messed up to get a Sideshow Gift Card from an unsuspecting family member or friend who didn't know that it would be useless.I am pretty sure they only give them away, or that'd really suck.

I notice that a lot of people take issue with Sideshow over the splits in the shins of the Hobbits, but what a lot of people don't seem to realize is that Hot Toys is actually responsible for the design and production of that body. Interesting again since Hot Toys tends to seem a little more consistent with higher quality production.The body is a co-design between Sideshow and Hot Toys, like the armor for the upcoming Star Wars figures.

On that 3rd shot where Frodo is standing on the log, try blurring the shadow that the log is casting, shadows create a lot of scale issues but otherwise that pic is very emotive. It's funny, most figures I'd suggest a lower camera angle but with a Hobbit, that'd be all wrong. :p

RooJay
10-24-2008, 01:37 AM
The body is a co-design between Sideshow and Hot Toys, like the armor for the upcoming Star Wars figures.

Yeah, that's what Sideshow says, but we all know who did the work here - regardless of that unfortunate business with the shins.

I've been finding myself becoming more and more of a Hot Toys booster over Sideshow recently. Sideshow is a great company, but they've really been making me feel like they have very little respect and appreciation for their consumers and fans nowadays over a great many issues. I've supported this company from the very start, and I'm sadly starting to feel like they're turning their back to me. Hot Toys makes much better product, and what with the enormous price hikes Sideshow figures have seen in the past few years Hot Toys actually doesn't seem too expensive in comparison. Especially considering how superior their product is to Sideshow's. I'm kind of getting a kick out of the idea that the thing I'm most a fan of Sideshow for is for importing and selling Hot Toys items!

JediTricks
10-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Then Hot Toys must share the blame as well as the accolades. The Stormtrooper's hands are TINY and the face isn't quite there, this piece was heavily in Hot Toys' end of the co-development. I'm not trying to take Hot Toys down, far from it, their Iron Man and Batman Begins/TDK product is a game-changer for the 12"-scale, but you can't dump on Sideshow for something while praising Hot Toys for that same thing.

My Sideshow orders have gone way down, no question about it, there is something not great going on there, like the relationship with Hasbro has soured the company a little, more about business than delivering the product they used to deliver. They're still very good, but greatness now seems to be slipping further and further from their grasp.

RooJay
10-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Then Hot Toys must share the blame as well as the accolades.

I think I did say that Hot Toys should share the blame. In fact, I'm pretty sure I heavily implied that it's pretty much all their fault, so I guess you're just agreeing with me then. And yeah, their Batman and Iron Man stuff is amazing!

My Sideshow orders have gone way down, no question about it, there is something not great going on there, like the relationship with Hasbro has soured the company a little, more about business than delivering the product they used to deliver. They're still very good, but greatness now seems to be slipping further and further from their grasp.

Sideshow was starting to lean more and more towards being all about the profits since well before Hasbro got involved.

JediTricks
10-28-2008, 04:32 AM
I think I did say that Hot Toys should share the blame. In fact, I'm pretty sure I heavily implied that it's pretty much all their fault, so I guess you're just agreeing with me then. And yeah, their Batman and Iron Man stuff is amazing!Where did you say or imply that in the post I was responding to? I don't see it anywhere in here:

Yeah, that's what Sideshow says, but we all know who did the work here - regardless of that unfortunate business with the shins.

I've been finding myself becoming more and more of a Hot Toys booster over Sideshow recently. Sideshow is a great company, but they've really been making me feel like they have very little respect and appreciation for their consumers and fans nowadays over a great many issues. I've supported this company from the very start, and I'm sadly starting to feel like they're turning their back to me. Hot Toys makes much better product, and what with the enormous price hikes Sideshow figures have seen in the past few years Hot Toys actually doesn't seem too expensive in comparison. Especially considering how superior their product is to Sideshow's. I'm kind of getting a kick out of the idea that the thing I'm most a fan of Sideshow for is for importing and selling Hot Toys items!

Sideshow was starting to lean more and more towards being all about the profits since well before Hasbro got involved.I wouldn't know, I paid only a little attention to them before Star Wars.

RooJay
10-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Where did you say or imply that in the post I was responding to?

Looks plain as day to me. I'm clearly stating that Hot Toys did all the work there, and is therefore responsible for the shoddy job apparent in the figure's shins.

JediTricks
10-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Looks plain as day to me. I'm clearly stating that Hot Toys did all the work there, and is therefore responsible for the shoddy job apparent in the figure's shins.
Perhaps you and I have a different understanding of what "regardless" means. :p

JediTricks
10-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Gandalf arrived today. The shipping box had a little mangle to it, but when I finally got it home and opened it up, the real box was fine. The box mimics the other figures I have in the line (Aragorn & Legolas) with big photos of the prototype. Inside the gatefold are Gandalf's bio and the bio for his staff and Glamdring. Through the packaging, I could make out the likeness of the actual fig inside but not entirely, so I cut the tape on the box top and got down to the real deal. The tray is held by the newer pop design rather than tape, so it came off quickly.

As soon as I took the figure out, that was the moment it was clear that this figure was worth the money, and very exciting. The likeness is excellent, and I think the production paint on the head is actually better than the prototype. There's a slight seam running across the top of the head, and the hair isn't as rubbery as I'd like, but that's minor stuff compared to the striking accuracy.

The outfit is very detailed, the pants' cuff have a pattern, the belt is really braided, and and the knit shirt actually ends as gloves on the hands (I am still not entirely sure how they expect us to change hands with that). The robe is also quite nice, the VERY large hood has the now-standard wire around the rim. The cloak is one thing I cannot figure out how to deal with properly, it's pretty simple. There's a lot of fabric to deal with, it's clear this is where a lot of the cost came from. Between the tunic, the robe, and the cloak, Gandalf is going to be a very warm wizard.

The hat is plastic, rubbery but hard. It also sports a small seam, but is otherwise perfect. It's sculpted to fit his head perfectly, stays on nicely, not adjustable but it doesn't matter because it's just right as-is.

Accessories are few, but deliver. I still don't know what to do with the extra hands, or how to attach the scabbard for Glamdring, but that sports a nice leather belt. Glamdring is very clean, a little simple, yet shiny and fits well in the scabbard; the scabbard itself is fine, but could have used more detailing or at least a slight weathered deco, here it's a touch too plastic-looking. The first staff is very nice, deceptively so, and my favorite part is the splendid integration of the pipe into the top; near the top, there's a string holding the tobacco pouch (hard plastic but it looks real) and a second string lower for I don't know what. The other staff is the "you shall not pass!" staff, darker, a different sculpt, and with the crystal permanently attached to the top. Both staffs deliver, though I do wish the crystal was removable so the satchel had something to go in it.

The exclusive accessory, the journal from the Moria mines, is very well executed if you don't mind that it's sculpted to the last page. The paint delivers quite the look, weathering and lettering are both top drawer.

The body seems to be the buck again, but nothing is horribly hindered by the clothes. However, the wrist and ankle articulation is ridiculously loose, sarcastically loose, the ankles spin around and around like a top. Other than that, this figure delivers.

So, in a way, this figure is a rough sell at $90 (and the fact that the exclusive is still not sold out supports that), but this is Gandalf the Grey, there's no other way to say it, if you want a 12" Gandalf, this is your figure, so in that respect it's worth the money. There are a couple small issues, but the head sculpt, outfit, and both staffs far outweigh any complaints. This one is a winner, and definitely one of those pieces you could call a crown jewel in the 12" Sideshow LOTR line, I don't know if many people will get to know it, but Gandalf the Grey is a fabulous figure.

jedibear
11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, my waitlist for the exclusive converted so...still tight in the wallet but here goes... :)

Review sounds terrific, JT. I'll add some pictures when I get mine next friday.

evenflow
11-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I just want them to release Gimli and at least one villian.

JediTricks
11-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I think this figure is going to be very photogenic for you JB, hope you dig it. :)

Boromir is a bit of a villain. :p

I want Gimli as well, to me it's Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf, and Gimli as the major interests for LOTR, that's generally all I buy in any scale, although Toy Biz's line got me a few cool extras - Uruk Hai, Ringwraith, king of the dead. Once SSC does Gimli, I can kick back.

mm74md
11-07-2008, 07:19 AM
With this being my last major toy purchase of the year I am very pleased. I'm sad that others have the spinning foot problem too, but glad it's just not me.

Other than that this old man is amazing. This is the first of the Sideshow LOTR 12" figs I've opened. The others are still packed up waitng for the rest of the Fellowship. I recommend, but that pricetag is kinda hard to swallow.

Jayspawn
11-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Today I got SS's Pippin, Frodo and Saw minibusts they made years ago. My bro is a big LOTR (as I am to SW). Every year I get him a Fellowship themed Sideshow bust. Still have yet to get Aragorn or Merry. Boromir is gonna SUCK tracking down and paying for.

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah, "spinning foot", very accurate description of that! That situation is utterly hopeless as-is, I may actually put socks on him, I think I have an old pair from some 21st Century Toys figures I haven't paid any attention to in a while.

I ended up ordering 9" Frodo exclusive, using my $75 SDCC gift card. $13 for tax & shipping, but the rest of the figure was free. I'm not a huge fan of Frodo in terms of things I'd like to own, but since there's so little else in this 12" line, I figure it'll fill it out well, the heroes can protect him or something. And he's got the ring, and Sting, so can't go too wrong.

jedibear
11-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Got a chance to enjoy the latest (and maybe last) Sideshow LOTR release, Gandalf the Grey. What an awesome figure!

The "Lord of the Rings" sixth-scale line at Sideshow has always proceeded at a very slow pace, but when a new figure arrives, it is usually proven to be worth the wait and the most certainly is the case with Gandalf.
The great effort put into his costume and accessories along with that spot-on head sculpt by Tim Miller is just remarkable. There have been a lot of pictures from folks popping up of this figure and many are quite good, but none come close to revealing the fine detail and expressiveness present in this sculpt, especially when the figure is right in front of you.

Are there issues? A few, but none that take away from enjoying this figure. The body on the figure I received has extremely weak legs and I don't dare display him without a stand. The upper body and arms seem fine and will hold whatever pose I can come up with. Some folks are expressing disappointment that this figure doesn't feature the new "Prometheus" body that Sideshow is expected to switch over to, but...weak knees aside, the buck performs adequately for this character.
Again, the base body does not prevent this figure from displaying well and with all the care put into his outfit and that perfect sculpt, any LOTR fan would be thrilled to add this old wizard to their collection....I know I am!

While I'm saddened to hear that Sideshow is putting this LOTR collection "on hold". Gandalf the Grey is a breath-taking conclusion to a line that has given collectors some great sixth-scale figures. Here's hoping we see the entire fellowship some day!

jedibear
11-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Some new shots...

On the road to Isengard....

Helping out a friend....

Pondering a promise...

jonthejedi
11-10-2008, 04:12 AM
I almost cancelled this piece, what with Ki-Adi & IJ coming right on his heels...plus X-mas! Now I'm glad I didn't..he's my favorite in the LOTR line; outstanding sculpt & access. Can't wait for Sir Ian to don the hat again in The Hobbit!

JediTricks
11-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I hadn't heard SSC had shelved the LOTR line, that's a bummer, now I'm glad I used my Comic-Con $75 gift card on Frodo, he's probably going to show up Thursday and be the last piece I end up with.

Nice photos, looks like Sam got a pretty good headsculpt there. You mind if I ask why you chose to light Gandalf from below? It's very dramatic, though in the first pic it doesn't really pay off on the face that much (the second one it does, but it makes him look sad :p).

evenflow
11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
When did they say the line was over?

jedibear
11-12-2008, 07:32 PM
In a recent podcast, Sideshow commented that the line was "on hold".
As for the lighting...just trying something different. That second photo you remarked on is actually one of my favorites...

JediTricks
11-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, the second one is great, very moody. I just meant it looked sad because it highlights the folds above the eyelids which look forlorn. Did you back the light off or turn it down or something?

I got my Freedo in the mail today, much lighter than I expected the box to be. I haven't opened it yet, just got in.

jedibear
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Did you ever open Frodo, JT? I got Sam recently and he's another great figure.
In the meantime, here's some new shots...one recreating a great scene from FOTR and another of Sam...

jedibear
01-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Just turned that light down a bit and backed it off, JT.

Here's another of Gandalf taking in some reading.... :)

He's a great figure...if the line had to end, at least it ended on a high note.

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Did you ever open Frodo, JT?Yeah, I opened him when he got here. Lots of goodies to mess with, and the likeness is better in person. But I am a little annoyed still at the split shin design, that just doesn't fly, and the exposed joints. Anyway, he's back in his box with the other 3 figs I have.

I got Sam recently and he's another great figure.
In the meantime, here's some new shots...one recreating a great scene from FOTR and another of Sam...Nice job, the snow ones are really killer.

Just turned that light down a bit and backed it off, JT.

Here's another of Gandalf taking in some reading.... :)

He's a great figure...if the line had to end, at least it ended on a high note.Very cool! Nice colors, very LOTR. And yeah, cannot go wrong with 12" Gandalf being the final entry.

Jayspawn
01-20-2009, 12:03 AM
They still need to make Marry, Pippin and Gimli. And for my own selfish reasons, they need to make Saruman the White!

Old Fossil
04-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I have not gotten any of Sideshow's LOTR offerings yet, though they look fantastic! (And I'm with you regarding Saruman, Jayspawn!)

I was wondering how some of you who have a few of these would rank them... as in, most favorite to least.

RooJay
04-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd rank them thusly:

1 - Gandalf (just amazing all-around!)
2 - Faramir (great likeness, and awesome outfit!)
3 - Boromir (pretty good likeness, but an amazing costume job! Plus, really cool accessories!)
4 - both Hobbits (great likenesses on both and amazingly intricate outfits with tons of accessories!)
5 - Legolas (a favorite character, done well, but with a likeness that's a bit off - certainly more masculine than he ever looked in the films.)
6 - Aragorn (a good first effort, but a somewhat inadequate likeness rendered even less effective by a slightly botched and unrealistic looking paint-job.)

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
This is how I'd rank 'em:

Gandalf is tops, very awesome.
Aragorn is pretty good, the face is sorta there for once, and there are a ton of great accessories.
Legolas is very good, I like the likeness and I dig the accessories.
Frodo is good, very nice accessories and clothes, likeness is ok but head seems a little wide, body doesn't look great in exposed areas.

Old Fossil
04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks RooJay and JT. I ended up getting Gandalf, who is set to arrive tomorrow; the exclusive version of Faramir (with Boromir's cloven Horn of Gondor); and I have a bid on an exclusive version Boromir, with the goblin head accessory.

I wonder why Sideshow's 12" LOTR line ended with 3 members of the Fellowship still unmade. That's really a shame. Gimli would have complemented Legolas really well; and I imagine they could have easily appropriated the existing halfling bodies for Merry and Pippin.

I guess I should be happy with what we got... but the collector part of my brain will always consider the line incomplete. I would've also loved to have seen:

Saruman
Elrond
Haldir
Grima Wormtongue
Bilbo Baggins
Eowyn as Dernhelm

But I am late in coming to this particular game. Maybe a 'Hobbit' movie will drive up interest in LOTR figures again.

RooJay
04-24-2009, 01:24 AM
It sounds to me like Sideshow still holds the license. From what I gather, the line was put on hold due to the complications of translating such complex designs (particularly the outfits) to fit the format as well as the higher than typical costs of doing so (especially compared to some of their other lines.) Those two things together with the current state of the economy and the fact that LOTR has unfortunately been allowed to slip from the general public consciousness makes it pretty understandable. Sideshow keeps saying that they are very hopeful that they might return to the LOTR 1/6th scale line before too long. My best guess would be as soon as the Hobbit movie gets a little closer to release.

For the record, I'm betting they could pull off a better than passable Gimli by simply adding slightly extended legs, arms, and mid-torso tooling to the Hobbit body.
I was also really hoping to get Theoden and Eomer - two of my favorite characters - at some point. A few bad guys wouldn't hurt either.

JediTricks
04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Glad to hear you ordered Gandalf, I don't believe you can go wrong there, it's an amazing figure, it has real presence even in the box. The Aragorn figure IMO has some presence too, but that's more because so few other Aragorn figures in the past have enjoyed it.

I firmly believe that the sales on their LOTR line have been very slow, and they are just going to sit on the 12" line until demand builds up. One can only chase so much good money after bad before it becomes an anchor.

Old Fossil
04-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Hopefull if/when The Hobbit movie begins production, things will heat up a little... it'll be an opportunity for them to release a slightly different Gandalf, and to reuse the halfling bodies for Bilbo. Plus, with 13 different Dwarves appearing regularly throughout the storyline, they'd have good reason to develop a Dwarf-style body, and to revisit LOTR for Gimli.

They could really go to town with 2 and 3 packs of Dwarves:
Balin & Dwalin
Fili & Kili
Oin and Gloin
Bifur, Bofur and Bombur
Ori, Nori, and Dori

Or, they could release them singly, and pack in a barrel accessory. Thorin at least would be best issued singly, I think, to better include accessories such as his sword Orcrist (Glamdring's mate) and the Arkenstone.

Old Fossil
05-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Managed to win an exclusive Frodo for $45 plus shipping yesterday.

Old Fossil
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Since I won Frodo, I found Legolas for a BIN price of $39 plus shipping. Finally caved in yesterday and did a BIN for Boromir for $49.95... more than I wanted to pay, but I figured the quality of the figure will be worth it.

That may be it for me for a while. Just can't bring myself to get Aragorn, and Sam cannot be had yet for less than $55.

Old Fossil
05-08-2009, 10:47 AM
So Frodo arrived yesterday, and I have to say I am very pleased. The likeness to Elijah Wood is remarkable! He is a little loose in the lower half of his body, so I have to use the stand, but other than that I have no real complaints.

JediTricks
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Someone went LOTR-crazy. :p

Aragorn is a total experience figure, even without the exclusive hooded cloak.

Old Fossil
05-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Someone went LOTR-crazy. :p

Aragorn is a total experience figure, even without the exclusive hooded cloak.

Yeah, guess I found a collectible line I could fall in love with.:love: My favorite books, three of my favorite movies, and cool figures... how could I not?

I'm watching a few auctions for Strider. Honestly, JT, your comments are the most positive I think I've seen on that figure, so I'm really only keeping the door open on him because of you. I may cave only if I can get a good deal.

JediTricks
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
What's the most significant complaint you've seen on it? The only area where the figure dips a little is the facial likeness paint, it's good but not dead on. But no Aragorn I've ever seen has come as close. Here's my original impression:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=505531#post505531

Old Fossil
05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
You're right, it's the face that I've seen complaints on, but nothing else.

I've seen hints that you can actually move those stray locks of hair hanging down over his face. Is that true? Can they be moved so that they're not in his eyes?

JediTricks
05-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I suppose you could, I haven't tried but they are separate pieces and not brittle. You could probably heat them up and move them.