PDA

View Full Version : What vehicles do you actually still want?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2007, 05:30 PM
In the AT-TE thread, someone said that if it didn't sell well, then Hasbro would be less likely to produce more vehicles that are larger than the mid-size vehicle pricepoint. That got me thinking - after the AT-TE, which huge vehicles do you really truly want ("huge" as in an all-new mold that can't fit in the $20 box). In the same vein, we might as well say which mid-size ($20) and small ($15 or less) vehicles we still want.

These are the ones that come to mind for me:

Large
*Gungan Bongo - this could feasibly be done in the $20 pricepoint, but I would rather see a larger one for $30 or even $45. The main body could more or less be the same size as the ROTS Jedi Starfighters (with all the "holes" filled in). Being able to seat three figures would be a must.
*Turbo Tank - since it's in the film but not prominent in very many scenes, I think they could feasibly make one the same height and width as the Sandcrawler from 2004 but quite a bit longer. I would like to see a bigger one but I doubt it would happen. However, it could just mostly be empty space for clones, so that could be a cost-cutting measure.
*Tantive IV - perhaps this would work better as a playset, or even just a small piece of hallway. I still want to see it made, though.
*Star Destroyer - around the same size of the Queen's starship. While out of scale, it would still be ginormous, and better than nothing.
*Jabba's Sail Barge - they might be able to get away with making Jabba's court room the only part inside, and have it be out of scale a little bit. Eight inches high for the main brown part would look alright, I think.

Medium and small to come later.

Sinscia Fat'o
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Star Destroyer...which would be more of a playset than a vechile.

Tantive Four...See Star Destroyer

Yt-2400, the outrider...a little more to scale the falcon since the scales of these two ships aren't too off from the other.

Jabbas Sail Barge, might be over kill but would be a cool. hate to see the price tag though.

A new Speeder Bike..with not so janky pilot.

I'd like to see Punishing one 1G-2000, and the hounds tooth as well. The bounty hunters need their rides.

Count Dokuu's ship from Episode two

A Y-Tie Ugly...A funny ship from the rpg, front end of a Y-Wing, with tie fighter wings.

stillakid
08-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd still like to have a Ferrari. :)

In the meantime, I'll repost an earlier request of mine for a better Star Destroyer and Death Star:

I'll still campaign for my all-in-one Death Star playset.

Roughly, the same height as the vintage Death Star playset. When closed up, it's a globe with detailing that makes it a fine display Death Star like has never before been created. It opens into 4 wedges, each with interconnected play areas.

With a playset this size, all of the attributes of the ANH battlestation as well as the ROTJ additions could easily be included adding tremendous value, both for play and economy.

It would be slightly more expensive than than the typical cardboard cutout playsets that we've been offered, but the cache and originality of it would attract young and old alike.

While the above ideas of having Hasbro release separate interlocking pieces isn't a bad idea, I don't think that they would be nearly as marketable as one giant kick-*** looking Death Star sitting on a toy shelf. If you build it, they will come.

For clarification, this is a whole globe with a slightly flattened bottom. Imagine taking the vintage Death Star playset and adding a curved "shell" to it. That would be one of the wedges.

I think that it would work out best to have one half be one of the pieces then split the other half into two wedges. The side that is an entire half could have longer areas in it, like hallways with blastdoors or even a hangar bay. The wedges could have the Emperor's chamber at the top and the trash compactor at the bottom. Suffice it to say that there is a lot of room to integrate many of the favorite Death Star attributes. The vintage playset had a 21" tall elevator which could be used as a central "core" to connect the pieces together. The entire playset would likely top out around 2' tall (and around) once you put the curved shell on it.

They charge whatever they want to...whatever they think they can get. A 3" action figure doesn't cost anywhere near $7 bucks to design, manufacture, and distribute when they make a lot of them. They charge that money because they know they can get it. Look at the price drops in the Queen's ship, the 12" Dewback, the 12" "pegwarmers", pegwarmer's in general. Somebody is still making a little profit at those enormous price cuts. That's why they stop dropping the price tag at a certain point, otherwise they'd just give them away for free. So this playset might have a real cost of $50 to $75 to produce and distribute, which they would inflate to around $150 retail. That is a lot of money, but people are generally willing to accept the cost if they perceive the value in the product. I of course guessed at those costs, but I averaged out what I think is the real cost (lower) and what I think they'd ask for (higher). My honest opinion is that it would cost less per unit to make and distribute and a fair retail price would be around $100. I factored in the greed-profit motive.

I'd buy it and I believe that a lot of other people would too. The Queen's ship sat on clearance shelves (I believe) due to a poor lead-in (TPM wasn't as good as the classic trilogy). A really cool looking classic trilogy toy will get the parent's attention (late 20's to late 30's) (nearly everybody liked the classic trilogy) and no kid could resist a toy that huge. It would sell out. Almost guaranteed.

Just like an actual movie set, so much more could be done with independent playsets as some people have suggested, so naturally there would some compromise within each "scene" for an all-in-one playset idea.

I haven't drawn plans up yet (but maybe soon!), but I'll try to give some written clues as to this hypothetical dream.

Docking Bay 327 (the big problem): This would be located on the lower portion of the complete "half." Like so many playsets before this, sadly because of size restrictions, the Falcon would have to be represented by a photo backdrop, but there really is no way to squeeze the Falcon Toy or the Shuttle Tyderium (sp?) into a hangar-type playset that isn't absolutely gargantuan. The good news is that the "room" could have blast doors off to one side for recreation of the duel. If Hasbro went all out, they could include a floor panel that slid out from the "half" to give more floor space to line up Stormtroopers on.

DB327 control room (the red room): Right above the Hangar space, in the mid-section of the "half."

The Elevator Bank: The central core of the entire playset, constructed in the same way as the vintage model. It integrates the elevator action as well as the tractor beam control walkway.

The Outer Detention area: Just above the Garbage Compactor.

The Detention Block hallway: In the next wedge over and on the same level as the Outer Detention Area.

Garbage Chute: In the wedge opposite and just above the one with the Compactor as part of the Outer Detention Area.

The Tractor Beam Controls: As above, integrated into the central elevator column.

The Rope Swing: An arbitrary placement of an extended bridge from one wedge to another or to the central column, ala vintage version.

The Vader/Ben Duel: Lower level of the "half," off to the side of the hangar bay area.

The Blast Doors: Integrated into hangar Bay.

Plus various hallways that Ben sneaks through or Han howls through: N/A

Add to that the Throne room, which from the post above is a giant playset unto itself: The entire upper level of all three pieces (one half, two wedges)

And finally, the nature of the design excludes 50% of the play space because it has to represent the "Outside" of the Death Star: Some of the "rooms" would need straight walls, so indeed some of that trapped curved space would be lost to outright play, however it could be utilized as storage and/or use breakaway panels for guntowers to pop out of or something.

I've been playing around with the vintage Death Star and trying to "connect" the playset pieces that we got a couple years ago with some success. It takes a little reconfiguration and some extra supports but I've managed to rig up the Detention Hallway so that the heroes can really fall into the bright orange compactor. The Rope Swing is a little tougher to integrate into the old design, but it can go just about anywhere so long as it gets supported so that it is on "level 2." I'm still trying to figure out the best way to remove the gun emplacement on the top level and replace it with the Emperor's throne. Doing all that stuff got me thinking about a well-designed playset like the one I'm suggesting. I think that it is possible and for a reasonable cost. But with the way Hasbro feels about releasing the Shuttle, I don't foresee any realistic hope of it ever happening from them. Looks like a custom job!

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

I was thinking instead of a "slide out" docking bay floor, how about a "panel" that separates the two wedge quarters from the wedge half. When you open up the DS, the panel folds down to reveal a docking bay floor. Hinged on the edge of this is a "hangar bay entrance" that folds up and locks in between the two quarters. Two feet x Two feet might almost be big enough for a shuttle or a Falcon to stand in. just an idea.

It's lookin' good, though. I can sort of see it in my mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by stillakid

That's a good idea! There's probably a way to work in a fluorescent "magnetic hangar bay" frame as well to complete the look.

STAR DESTROYER!
Based on the idea for the Death Star playset, a redesigned Star Destroyer is a must. It could easily be the size of the Queen's ship and look pretty authentic on the outside...

...and when you remove the exterior panels, you've got maximum playability inside. With a slightly shorter profile than the vintage edition, Vader's meditation chamber could easily be fit in near the back where the tower is. Add in a main bridge area and we're good to go.

The underside "docking area" obviously wouldn't be big enough to fit a 3 3/4" scale vehicle, but then again there aren't any! Instead, Micromachines could slide in to fulfill the need for flight play.

The engines could house blue lights.

There could be a hatch coming from the tower which "releases" garbage and is big enough for the Micromachines Slave I.

Skip the ridiculous big dart firing guns and integrate that technology into the front end or sides of the ship if necessary.

Reactor balls on the towers could be "explodable" to recreate ROTJ fun!

Who wouldn't buy this ship? The only reason I can imagine being hit with is that the Queen's ship didn't sell that well. First off, the movie wasn't as well received as the original trilogy so that might have something to do with it. Secondly, practically everybody alive (allow slight exaggeration) knows what a Star Destroyer is. Reluctant parents on the Queen's ship would probably cave in to Jr's wishes on this one.

My overall mission would be to bring a re-creation of the exteriors of these ships and playsets to the play portion of the set itself. If you remember the vintage Death Star and vintage Star Destroyer, both were short on the aesthetics dept. They just didn't look like the things from the movies. I truly believe that the more a toy looks recognizable from the outside, the more likely consumers will buy it, no matter what the cost, especially if it is from the original trilogy, which everyone loved. (Not the prequels, which many people didn't.)

El Chuxter
08-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I think I'm burned out enough that they would have to pack in a Yarna figure to get me to buy any vehicle at this point.

stillakid
08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I think I'm burned out enough that they would have to pack in a Yarna figure to get me to buy any vehicle at this point.

The Yarnamobile!!!! 9 cylinders of whoopa**.

Phantom-like Menace
08-07-2007, 06:50 PM
That's an interesting question. There really aren't too many more from the movies.

Movies:
YT-2400 Seen taking off from Mos Eisley, in the same scale as the Falcon.
Infiltrator Because that piece of crap is not even close.
Sail Barge The only reason I'd ever buy a Yarna. Ever!
Turbo Tank My clone would be riding in style.
Padme's Star Yacht All those buttons and every feature is activated by pushing one button

Expanded Universe:
TX-130 Saber Tank Would possibly become my favorite toy
TIE Defender Absolutely awesome TIE variant.
Lady Luck Could be cool, though I wouldn't dream of holding my breath.
Skipray Blastboat Could also be cool.

I wouldn't want to see any of the above at a measly twenty dollar pricepoint.

We also don't know what vehicles we may want from the upcoming TV shows.

The Yarnamobile!!!! 9 cylinders of whoopa**.

Why nine? I figure six.

Old Fossil
08-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Mainly I just want reissues of the TRU exclusive Landspeeder, the B-Wing Starfighter, the Target exclusive OTC Slave I, and the Desert Sport Skiff. These are vehicles I missed out on, and I don't wish to pay secondary market prices for them.

There are NO Prequel-era ships I'd care to see, unless it were Dooku's Solar Sailer. The aesthetics of most Prequel vehicles don't excite me at all anymore, if they ever did.

Umbra
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I've yet to actually be able to get the Republic Gunship x_x

Dooku's solar sailor could be cool if done right

EU wise: Tie Defender, Chiss Claw Craft could be cool to see, but i doubt we;ll see them

jedi master sal
08-07-2007, 10:02 PM
AT-TE first and foremost of course.
Turbo Tank. I keep saying this could be done as a rolling toy chest so they could get a relatively large size out of this, it would be mostly hollow, it would roll and we'd finally get it, and since it's mostly hollow it shouldn't cost much. Have this be somethign we have to build so that it's in a smaller box so as to not take up as much shelf space as it would were it preassembled.
TX-130 Tank! Hell's yeah, this is an excellent vehicle. It only suffers from it's obscurity. Otherwise it TOTALLY fits in with the vehicle line. (though this could be a mid range vehicle)
Gungan Bongo, done right so that Qui, Obi and Jar Jar can all fit in the center cockpit.
Jabba's Sailbarge. Another that if not a toy would do well as a rolling toy chest. Again accounting for the large size of it.

Mid-range:
Homing Spider Droid-has four legs that are all the same, and two sphere very near the same that just a few greeblies could differentiate the two halves. this should be a no brainer as it would be easy to manufacture since it would use so FEW molds to create it! Plus it would fit in a small box so it wouldn't take up much shelf space.
Twin-Pod cloud car!!! Why in the modern age when all of the rest of the OT ship have been remade to some point or another do we still not have a TPCC? Okay so a new mold has to be made. So what! MAKE IT! You made the pilot...it needs something to fly!

Small:
Rickshaw w/droid

I'm sure there is more, but this is what I can think of of the top of my head.

-Sal

Jargo
08-07-2007, 10:16 PM
airspeeders (coruscant).
landspeeders & swoops (tatooine).
brand new Imperial speeder bike.
2 man AT-ST.
Redesigned T-16 Skyhopper without the stupid smaller craft pull out feature that ruins the wings. side opening hatch. landing gear.
Outrider scaled up to falcon proportions.
larger better detailed millenium falcon.
Neimoidian shuttle.
Palpatine's ROTS shuttle.
Imperial landing craft.

Lobito
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Rebel Transport

Twin pod Cloud Car

NO MORE X-WINGS, SNOWSPEEDERS, JEDI STARFIGHTERS OR TIE FIGHTERS... just those two!!:thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Jabba's Sail Barge is an absolute must on my list, that's a HUGE action scene for ROTJ, we've got all these great figures to go with it, but no vehicle.

Millennium Falcon (new design) - 'nuff said.

Slave I (new design) larger, with real interior, better gimmicks.

Outrider - gotta be done right though, not that ugly '96 mess, it's a cool ship and deserves better than that turkey.

Speeder Bike (new design) - doesn't have to be totally new, the Saga one is almost good enough, just needs a stand and movable footpegs.

TX-130 Saber Tank from Battlefront and BF2, very cool, can have deco for both Imps and Republic even though technically they're slightly different machines.

Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, but it's gotta have the central pod open to accommodate a figure like a vehicle. Why not, right? Plus, that's how it is in BF2.

Homing Spider Droid - same "central pod" gimmick as previous for same reason.

AT-ST (new design) more accurate, better materials and cockpit.

Twin-pod Cloud Car is kinda low on my list, but I would like one, it just shouldn't suck is all. Better detail, light-up engine, sounds are all a plus for this otherwise bland thing.

Kinda want the Gungan Bongo, but it's gotta seat all 3 guys in the main compartment.

I'm with Old Fossil on the reissue of the Saga Luke Landspeeder and those others.

bigbarada
08-08-2007, 12:12 AM
If we're talking about large vehicles that would blow away the $20 pricepoint, then my list is short:

Jabba's Sail Barge
Millenium Falcon - larger and more detailed
AT-AT - larger and more accurate
AT-ST - from ROTJ, never made in toy form and should be much larger than the vintage Scout Walker.

As for $20 vehicles, I'd be happy with rereleases of the A-Wing in movie colors and the concept blue paint-scheme, and the Tatooine Skiff.

Blue2th
08-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Other than the AT-TE,

Jabba's Sail Barge- a seriously nice ultimate playset
Gungan Sub
MTT Droid Transport
Then they can start re-designing some of the old sculpts like the Millenium Falcon. Though if they did one of those first, I would buy one or two right away.

jjreason
08-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm pretty close. A Gungan Bongo would be nice, as would the ATTE. Grievous' ship coming will be a welcome addition to my collection as well.

Battle Droid
08-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Droid Gunship
Corporate Alliance Tank Droid
Homing Spider Droid
Trade Dederation Troop Carrier
MTT
Techno Union Starfighter
Nute Gunray's Neimoidian Shuttle the Lapiz Cutter
General Grievous' Neimoidian Shuttle
UT-AT
AT-OT
Republic Assault Gunboat
Republic Swamp Speeder
Republic Dropship
Intergalactic Banking Clan Ground Armored Tank
Invisible Hand Escape Pod

jjreason
08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Bahh, I'll come back and ask (yet again) for a repainted Twin Pod Cloud Car. The vintage one was plenty good enough, and we got those great pilot figures a couple of years ago. Needs to happen.

pbarnard
08-08-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm done with vehicles for the most part. The only thing I would consider is that if they did a Falcon playset at least twice the size of what has been released so far. If I had a complete workshop or at least a bandsaw, I'd consider building one, but if Hasbro does it, so much the better. Nothing has the appeal to me beyond having at least the forward/engineering station with holochess table, and a complete gantry to outrigger tube to 4 seat cockpit. If they some how just incorporated that in a decent scale the lack of any other features wouldn't matter.

JON9000
08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Honestly, I think we have gotten just about every vehicle I want. Feel free to make improvements upon them.

mtriv73
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
-Jabbas sail barge

-Revamped Y-wing in scale with the new X-wings

-Cloud car (make a new mold already! pack in a new Lobot and an Ice cream maker guy and sell it for $100 as an EE exclusive, I'd still buy one.)

-Redone speeder bike

-Redone AT-ST

-Gungan Bongo

-AT-TE (probably on its way)

-Republic gunship that can carry the above mentioned at-te (they'll never make this, but I can dream about it.)

Since Hasbro is unlikely to do anything EU outside of titanium scale, I'm going to ignore it with the exception of a Tie Defender and a Tie advanced both from the TIE fighter games. I really think kids would buy them too because they're Tie fighters and they look cool. I would buy at least 3 of each.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Whoever mentioned the ROTJ AT-ST - yeah, definitely needs to be made. I also forgot about a new, giant Falcon, which could be done at the end of the line to go out with a bang. I also forgot to mention, but I'd like to see an MTT, though it would obviously be out of scale. As for the Republic Drop Ship, they could just hack off half of a gunship, repaint it, and release it alongside the AT-TE.

Medium
*Solar Sailer - maybe, but this is also pretty low on the list. It likely wouldn't fit in the medium category if they made it.
*Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - these would go well with the 2007 Hailfire Droid. If it doesn't fit a figure I'd be fine as I think that's more accurate anyway.
*Droid Gunship - see above; we need more CIS vehicles for Kashyyyk. This one could be done very simply; it's mostly just a disc. Give it firing missiles or something.
*Rebel Troop Transporter - like the vintage one. Does anyone want this? I'd be fine either way; it's not very exciting.
*Twin Pod Cloud Car - we all want it, they know it, now they just need to own up and make it. They claim that they can't use the vintage mold, but if they can then it's fine for the job.

Small
*Speeder Bike - take the 2002 mold, use sturdier plastic, get a clear stand, add the bag thing at the back, and it should do the trick.

darko666
08-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Small
*Speeder Bike - take the 2002 mold, use sturdier plastic, get a clear stand, add the bag thing at the back, and it should do the trick.

also, if they would just change the handlebar so that the rider holds it like this (http://www.wireless-earth.de/private/Models/images/StarWars_Imperial_Speeder_Bike.jpg). is that to much to ask for? in Hasbros case, most likely.

Jargo
08-08-2007, 04:27 PM
ok being a bit more specific about things...

Coruscant:
•Jedi airspeeder that Obi-Wan uses in ROTS
•Anakin's bronze airspeeder from ROTS
•Bail Organa's red airspeeder from ROTS
•twin cockpit yellow airspeeder from senate parking lot in AOTC
•grey single cockpit airspeeder from senate parking lot in AOTC
•Red single cockpit airspeeder from senate parking lot in AOTC
•senator greyshades airspeeder from AOTC (without crash and bash feature or rubberised engines)
•Zam wessel's airspeeder from AOTC (without crash and bash feature and better cockpit with side opening doors and proper seat that holds figure)
•Air taxi #1 with huge fin underneath from TPM
•Air taxi #2 with flatter hull and side thrusters from TPM
•small senate taxi/shuttle from ROTS (not airbus)
•Palpatine's ROTS shuttle.

Tatooine:
•V-35 speeder in black with maroon and white with yellow from ANH. in orange with white and blue with white from AOTC
•XP-34 speeder in green from TPM
•XP-34 with five engines. from ANH deleted scene.
•red flash speeder from TPM
•Flare-S swoop from TPM
•Flare-S swoop from ANH
•green baby skyhopper from Lars garage in AOTC
•sporty red landspeeder from Lars garage in AOTC
•A1 Deluxe floater from outside cantina and used speeder lot in ANH
•Void Spider multi-legged speeder from outside cantina in ANH
•Z001-9000 pod speeder from outside cantina entrance in ANH
•T-16 Skyhopper (without the stupid smaller craft pull out feature that ruins the wings. side opening cockpit hatch. landing gear.
•Outrider scaled up to falcon proportions. (no rotating mid section. detailed hold and light up engine).
•millenium falcon from ESB. (larger better detailed four seat detailed cockpit, larger hold with proper detailing, sturdier landing ramp and landing gear, lift up floor grating. drop down forward cannon, quad laser cannons top and bottom, opening cargo doors between nose forks, circular access hatch behind the antenna dish, light up cockpit and rear engine. no sounds).
•Imperial landing craft from ANH with landing ramp and working landing gear, cargo/troops hold and external cargo/weapons lockers.

Other:
•Imperial speeder bike. from ROTJ (sturdier plastic version of the red deluxe speeder bike from AOTC saga with corrected rear end and clear 'floating effect' stand)
•2 man AT-ST. from ROTJ (lift up viewport flaps, rail round access hatch, detailed cockpit, ratchet hinged legs rather than the spring loaded 'walking action' of the vintage mold).
•Neimoidian shuttle. from ROTS with cockpit viewports
•Corellian YT-1300 freighter with blue markings from AOTC (utilise new mold of millenium falcon)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
also, if they would just change the handlebar so that the rider holds it like this (http://www.wireless-earth.de/private/Models/images/StarWars_Imperial_Speeder_Bike.jpg). is that to much to ask for? in Hasbros case, most likely.
The 2002 one does have handlebars like that; the 1996/2007 version does not.

Jedi airspeeder that Obi-Wan uses in ROTS
I assume you mean the kind of ship that Obi-Wan takes to Padmé's apartment and Anakin takes to Palpatine's office? I forgot about that one, but I actually really would like it. Plus it would be an easy repaint for both versions, as Hasbro loves those.

DarkArtist
08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Let's see:

Rebel Blockade Runner / Tantive IV : can be a running change if it sells well and can be in either the ROTS or ANH paint scheme.

Imperial Star Destroyer : again large like the GI Joe Aircraft Carrier and perhaps they could pack it with an Action Fleet Tantive IV for scale.

Republic Assualt Ship AOTC about the size of the Tantive IV or Queen Starship from TPM

Republic Attack Destroyer : again about the size of the TPM Queen Starship

AT-TE Dropship
Jabba's Sailbarge

darko666
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
The 2002 one does have handlebars like that; the 1996/2007 version does not.

i forgot about the Episode II version. would rather see it on the OT one with a Biker Scout though.

Droid
08-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I am pretty burned out on vehicles. There is a chance I might pass on every vehicle unless it had a good pack in figure.

I actually might buy a resculpt skiff that was sturdy and had enough room for the figures that should be on the skiff.

I'd likely buy a resculpt sandcrawler if it even went so far as to just have bigger treads attached to the bottom. The current sculpt is just too small.

I wanted a sail barge so badly for so many years, but I sold my AT-AT,
B-Wing and my Queen's starship because I didn't have room so I don't know if I would buy a sail barge, which would be hard for me to pass on. If they made one that was seriously underscaled, but as tall as the AT-AT and as wide as the Queen's starship at its widest point I might consider it.

A Cloud Car would be another one that was hard to pass on because I wanted it for so long, but I don't know if I'd buy it.

stillakid
08-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I still want the coolest ship from the Prequels, that being Amidala's silver ship that blows up at the beginning of AOTC.

Banthaholic
08-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I think that Yoda's escape pod from Kashyyk would be a must have. I'm actually surprised Hasbro hasn't thrown this one out yey.

Others:
- Sailbarge
- Geonosis Arena Cart
- Bail Organa's speeder from E3
- Homing Droid
- Dooku's Solar Sailer
- Rebel Transport
- Rebel hangar Sled vehicles from EIV
- Vehicle Maintenance Energizer (Vintage Re-release)

Kidhuman
08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
AT-TE
Speeder Bike
Cloud Car
Amidalas ship from AOTC that blows up with Corde pack in
Bails Air Speeder
Rickshaw w/droid
AT-TE
Landspeeder
Speeder Bike
Gungan Bongo
Scaled Sith Infiltrator
AT-TE
Speeder Bike
Jabba's Sail Barge
Skiff
Dooku's Solar Sailor

Tycho
08-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Gungan Bongo - this could feasibly be done in the $20 pricepoint, but I would rather see a larger one for $30 or even $45. Being able to seat three figures would be a must.

Turbo Tank - this needs to be large in its body size like the AT-AT.

Tantive IV - I made one and made Steve Sansweet look at it during 1999's Comic Con. Mine is 5 ft long. I made it for the figures with action features, but this is THE smallest I'd accept this ship being scaled down to.

Star Destroyer - I plant to build a 7-9footer. Again, it's the smallest I'd take it. Hasbro won't retail this.

Jabba's Sail Barge - See Zizzle's Black Pearl from POTC. That's the way to do this and about the smallest size they could make it.

There's a lot of other good ideas in this thread. We tried voting for our most-wanted before and the AT-TE won with Jabba's Sailbarge coming in 2nd.

I don't want to review all the ideas again right now, but know I'd probably buy all of them.

Devo
08-09-2007, 09:47 AM
From the OT:

Cloud car
Desert Skiff (resculpted and rescaled for the figures)
AT-ST walker (ROTJ sculpted version)
Sailbarge (the only huge vehicle I will ask for, both its interior and exterior are important because figures would interract with both)

Any other huge ships like the star destroyer, the Tantive and Executor I would take in playset (preferably adult-type diorama) form

Annnnnnd nothing from the prequels if the Sith infiltrator is how they'd be doing them these days. I did used to want Dookus solar sailor, but since it'd likely be barely bigger than his own speeder from AOTC - no.

JediTricks
08-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Bahh, I'll come back and ask (yet again) for a repainted Twin Pod Cloud Car. The vintage one was plenty good enough, and we got those great pilot figures a couple of years ago. Needs to happen.The vintage one is weak, no interior, rattling figures, very plain, soft sculpting. But more importantly, they don't have the molds, so using the original would mean pulling molds off of it which means it'll be slightly smaller and have even less surface detail AND probably end up costing nearly as much as designing a cooler new model.

Mtriv makes a good point about the Y-wing, it's badly out of scale with the X-wings and new TIEs. I'm not sure we need scale, but the current mold is a little tired anyway (the ion cannons take up the back seat, no cockpit detail, "head" is too small, no droid slot anymore, landing gear is still funky) so it could use a new version and it might as well be larger. I'm not sure I'd campaign for one, but I'd be likely to buy it.

*Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - these would go well with the 2007 Hailfire Droid. If it doesn't fit a figure I'd be fine as I think that's more accurate anyway.I don't get that line of thinking, it adds playability, it doesn't have to sacrifice movie-accuracy since it's a "hidden feature" in the design, adds accuracy from the SW:Battlefront 2 game, and having it hollow and sealed only leaves it boring and empty and less able to interact with figures.

Droid Gunship - see above; we need more CIS vehicles for Kashyyyk. This one could be done very simply; it's mostly just a disc. Give it firing missiles or something.Without figures going inside, there's not a chance I'd buy this; even with figures it's not all that likely, I found it pretty boring looking and the low-profile flatness means it'll be REALLY small even in a $40 box.

i forgot about the Episode II version. would rather see it on the OT one with a Biker Scout though.The bike is the same, just the Saga line's Ep 2 bike had different coloring and no poncho on the back. But the vehicle is the same already.

I just realized though, the VTSC Biker Scout can't actually hold the handlebars that way, the shoulders won't allow it, it'll have to be bent at the elbows in an odd way just to get the hands close and then they'll be at the wrong angle.

BTW, the ship from the beginning of AOTC is the Naboo Royal Cruiser, and I'd prefer they did it as a Titanium.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't get that line of thinking, it adds playability, it doesn't have to sacrifice movie-accuracy since it's a "hidden feature" in the design, adds accuracy from the SW:Battlefront 2 game, and having it hollow and sealed only leaves it boring and empty and less able to interact with figures.
I would rather see it have foot pegs for Battle Droids or Wookiees, so they could stand on it like in ROTS. It could also have an exploding kind of feature for the Wookiees. I'm just saying, if they added a seat inside that might drive up costs, and it's not like they also put a seat in the Hailfire Droid or Vulture Droid and those both had pilots in the games (despite the fact that, like the Tank Droid, they're droids and not vehicles, hence the name ;) ).

jedi master sal
08-11-2007, 04:43 AM
I would rather see it have foot pegs for Battle Droids or Wookiees, so they could stand on it like in ROTS. It could also have an exploding kind of feature for the Wookiees. I'm just saying, if they added a seat inside that might drive up costs, and it's not like they also put a seat in the Hailfire Droid or Vulture Droid and those both had pilots in the games (despite the fact that, like the Tank Droid, they're droids and not vehicles, hence the name ;) ).

Excellent point. I wouldn't want space for a figure inside either. It's not how it was in the movie. Pegs for figs on the outriggers works just fine for me. while I'd like a working tread on this too, if it meant a significant cost to production, then I'd be fine with a sculpted tread, just add some simple wheels under it then.

Jargo
08-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't see what it matters if there's a set inside. if you don't want a battle droid in there don't put one in. but ading a seat adds playability for the younger buyers. There's certainly enough room for both exterior pegs and a semi cockpit. it's a pretty boring toy if there's nothing you can do with it besides roll it round your desk or floor.

DarthBrandon
08-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Starting From Most Wanted:

1.) AT-TE (AT-AT size but wider & shorter legs) ($80 to $100 if done right)
2.) Larger more accurate Falcon (can at least stand figures in cockpit & navigate through passageway to the back of the ship) Twice the size of the original & not fat looking) ($175 to $250 dollar range, EE exclusive)
3.) TX-130 Saber-class fighter tank (easy to do & cost effective) ($40 max) (another must)
4.) Tantive IV (around same size as Tycho's, doubles as ship/playset) ($175 & up)
5.) Cloud Car enough already ($35 max)

These are ships I'd actually buy.

jedi master sal
08-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't see what it matters if there's a set inside. if you don't want a battle droid in there don't put one in. but ading a seat adds playability for the younger buyers. There's certainly enough room for both exterior pegs and a semi cockpit. it's a pretty boring toy if there's nothing you can do with it besides roll it round your desk or floor.

I guess I'd be okay with that option thrown in, so long as it doesn't significant;y raise the cost of the piece or eventually keep it from being produced at all.

As noted the Hailfire droid doesn't have this feature and it plays with rather well....or so I am told, heh heh.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 04:09 AM
I would rather see it have foot pegs for Battle Droids or Wookiees, so they could stand on it like in ROTS. It could also have an exploding kind of feature for the Wookiees. I'm just saying, if they added a seat inside that might drive up costs, and it's not like they also put a seat in the Hailfire Droid or Vulture Droid and those both had pilots in the games (despite the fact that, like the Tank Droid, they're droids and not vehicles, hence the name ;) ).I don't like the look of a bunch of pegs on the vehicles or large vehicle-style droids.

How would adding a seat inside a $20-sized droid add costs when it'll lead to increased sales through playability and cross-sales, especially when every other $20 vehicle already has a seat inside?

There's no room for the Vulture Droid to have a seat, they screwed up a lot of the space vehicles in BF2. However, the Hailfire Droid would have been a lot cooler with a seat, and it's not exactly a hot seller in any release, it starts strong and then goes tepid. Plus, these molds are already in halves to begin with, adding a hinge and a seat inside shouldn't affect things much.

Excellent point. I wouldn't want space for a figure inside either. It's not how it was in the movie. You must be so disappointed in the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter, the Saga Slave I, the ARC-170, the Republic Gunship, the Sith Infiltrator, the Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter, the V-wing, the STAP, the Droid Tri-Fighter, the upcoming AT-AP, and the upcoming Grievous Starfighter since they all have features that weren't seen in the movie. But that's the thing, just because you didn't see these features doesn't mean they couldn't have them, it just means we didn't see them - and we don't have to use them, Hasbro's grown quite good at putting in added-playability features without compromising accuracy lately.

while I'd like a working tread on this too, if it meant a significant cost to production, then I'd be fine with a sculpted tread, just add some simple wheels under it then.Ugh, no way, if they sacrificed the moving treads it'd be a total waste of time.

As noted the Hailfire droid doesn't have this feature and it plays with rather well....or so I am told, heh heh.Actually, as cool as the set is, I find it boring after a while - it and the Droid Tri-Fighter don't have much figure interaction so they end up pretty things to look at and not bother whooshing.

Devo
08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I hate the droid tri-fighter. Really regret buying it. Same with the ARC-170 for that matter. I bought that just because it was big and new and I'd been starved of new vehicles for a period up to then. Neither look good amongst my collection. And if you ask me they just don't look like they're from Star Wars.

DarthBrandon
08-12-2007, 06:48 PM
I hate the droid tri-fighter. Really regret buying it. Same with the ARC-170 for that matter. I bought that just because it was big and new and I'd been starved of new vehicles for a period up to then. Neither look good amongst my collection. And if you ask me they just don't look like they're from Star Wars.

I agree on the droid tri-fighter, never liked it, never bought it. The Arc-170 however is one of the coolest of the modern age & I really dig it. Sorry you feel that way about the Arc, but I love the two pilot/droid feature & the wings & extras are IMHO the Falcon of X-wings of todays era.

wombat
08-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Gungan Bongo
AT-TE
Turbo Tank
Imperial Shield Generator Base
Star Destroyer

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok, but my point was Sal wouldn't like them because they have non-movie features.

I don't feel as strongly about it as you do, but I do feel a bit like those 2 vehicles were not money well spent for my collection, the Droid Tri-Fighter doesn't look very SW and doesn't do enough and isn't fun to whoosh (though an Astromech figure can fit inside the globe center, that's kinda nifty) and the ARC-170 just isn't fun for me in general - if its wings had opened with gearing or at least opened symmetrically, I might feel differently, but they didn't even bother to make a droid slot the right height.

jedi master sal
08-13-2007, 01:10 PM
[quote]Originally Posted by jedi master sal
Excellent point. I wouldn't want space for a figure inside either. It's not how it was in the movie.[/qoute]
You must be so disappointed in the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter, the Saga Slave I, the ARC-170, the Republic Gunship, the Sith Infiltrator, the Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter, the V-wing, the STAP, the Droid Tri-Fighter, the upcoming AT-AP, and the upcoming Grievous Starfighter since they all have features that weren't seen in the movie. But that's the thing, just because you didn't see these features doesn't mean they couldn't have them, it just means we didn't see them - and we don't have to use them, Hasbro's grown quite good at putting in added-playability features without compromising accuracy lately.
Okay let's go over those features you must be alluding to:
Before I do, yes I realize that most of these were put in for play value for kids.
Okay so onward-
Ep2 JSF: Crappy wing extension, not needed. I'll never play or display it with this feature. Added cost for nothing. The missled could have just been put into a hole in the wings like many of the other starfighters and the whole thing would have cost much less.
Saga Slave 1: If you're refering to Jango's Slave-1 and you mean those red balls, then you betcha. A waste of money.
ARC-170: Hmm, not sure what was extra here and I can't recall, so I'll hold off on commenting for the moment.
Gunship: yes the fallout floor was dumb, Makes the toy less sturdy and leaves the possibility of losing accessories from the figures should the bottom drop out unintentionately. Would have rather had removable gun pods. Not THAT would have been an awesome paly feature, plus it was seen in the movie.
Infiltrator: I refuse to buy the P.O.S. undersized toy. The whole thing is wrong to me, but yes the same thing as with the EpII JSF-dumb wing expansion. Again if done at the right scale or at least 18 inches long, it could have allowed for the Sith Speeder to be attached to it, plus room for the Sith Probe droids.
EpIII JSF: Hmm what was extra here? The wings did fold out, it's understood there is landing gear as there is with all of ships, so that's not out of the realm. If you mean the idiotic "removable" droid/slot then yes that was a bad move. Rather have a dedicated droid in the slot that a half droid and slot that you can't put your own astromech in.
V-wing: if you mean the missles launching, well it wasn't needed and it's a little to trigger happy for my tastes anyway, so I could have done without it. But that one I do understand it's play value.
STAP: Same thing as for the V-wing. still this sold for a good price as I recall, so no complaints there.
Droid Tri-Fighter: This is a bland toy no matter what. I don't think there is anything that could be added to this to make it more apealing, short of electronics and that would increase the price too much.
AT-AP: Well the scale is way off, but I'm sure you're talking about the doors on the side. I'm okay with that because it's understood that there are clones inside. Much as there were AT-ST drivers in their vehicles as well. Not the same with the Tank droid. Maybe in vieo gameds, but NOT the movies, and for me that takes precedent.
Grievous Starfighter: Well as I don't know all of the features yet, I can't comment here. Perhaps there are yet more missles?

Really though for most of those, I can discount their added features. I think mostly what I'm trying to say is that if a feature that really isn't needed knocks the toy out of price range or totally out of production, then Hasbro should look to NOT include that feature. If they reference the movies for their decisions then they really can't go wrong. No droid in ball (Homing Spider Droid), no problem. Maybe include a corrected Dwarf Spider droid in the set. Sure it raises that price, but we'd get a coorect droid in both cases.

Again I'll go back to my first sentence in this response to say that yes I know the features are put in for play value for kids, but it's still mostly adults I'm seeing buying this for themselves. Not actual kids, or parents of.

Gawd, I'm getting old....Collecting SW on the scale I have has just drained me, not just financially either. I'm so glad that I'll be cutting way back next year.

Kidhuman
08-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm so glad that I'll be cutting way back next year.

Didnt you say that last year?

jedi master sal
08-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Didnt you say that last year?

Shhh....heh heh

I think I was reffering to my plan to cut back as of reaching 40. No that plan is momre focused wereas before I think I might have just been making a general statement.

No tha plan is to drop the budget in half in 2008, then half again in 2009, then down to 10 percent of what I will have spent during 2007 for years 2010 and beyond. I certainly think the 2008 goal is achievable, even teh 2009 goal.

I'll have to prolly reevaluate this in 2010 depending on where the line is at that point. But as I've been saying, I can't see there being many more new characters out there for me to collect. Certainly not from the movies, and definitely no army builders from the movies.

EU is only going to hold so much interest with me. It's "ok" to me and I'll get some of it, but I won't army build anything from it like I have from the movies. With just 3 exceptions to this rule coming in the next 6-8 months, I won't be collecting amry builders at 40 figs per character. Most it will be for me is 10. While still a lot to some, decreasing my normal wants by 30 figures automatically saves me around $225 per army builder. Most figures that are not army builders I only get one of. Those rare few I might want to use for customs, I'm going to seriously reconsider before buying multiples of. I've already got quite a few figs slated for custom use "some day." No reason to keep buying just for the possibility that I might use them.

I really think though that the dealy of the Force Unleashed figures was a blow to my collecting. Strange as that may sound as they are from a video game. But I was REALLY looking forward to those figures. Now this long delay that we all are feeling between waves has made my desire wane. GG's Commander Bust debacle didn't help the cause for themselves or Hasbro either.

So I say all that to say that yes, KH, from a certain point of view you are correct...

-Sal

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 04:12 AM
Okay let's go over those features you must be alluding to:
Before I do, yes I realize that most of these were put in for play value for kids.
Okay so onward-
Ep2 JSF: Crappy wing extension, not needed. I'll never play or display it with this feature. Added cost for nothing. The missled could have just been put into a hole in the wings like many of the other starfighters and the whole thing would have cost much less.So you didn't like the toy overall because of the gimmick, or you do like the vehicle but not the gimmick? BTW, the wings popping open are only a small part, the hull halves pop off the main body giving an entirely new shape, very needle-like and surprisingly cool. And how can it add cost to a ship that's already movie-accurate? Do you think they took away features or made it smaller because of this? I suppose it's possible but it's not like we've heard it. And how exactly would cutting holes into the leading edges for missiles look better than a movie-accurate hull panel? You're now suggesting a LESS-accurate feature than what's there.

Saga Slave 1: If you're refering to Jango's Slave-1 and you mean those red balls, then you betcha. A waste of money.And the center missiles and the rotating panel near the back. So you didn't like the toy overall because of it?

ARC-170: Hmm, not sure what was extra here and I can't recall, so I'll hold off on commenting for the moment.Bomb dropping wasn't seen in the movie, and wasn't even done that well on the toy.

Gunship: yes the fallout floor was dumb, Makes the toy less sturdy and leaves the possibility of losing accessories from the figures should the bottom drop out unintentionately. Would have rather had removable gun pods. Not THAT would have been an awesome paly feature, plus it was seen in the movie.So you hate the gunship then? Because that was the point, not that you didn't like the particular feature, that you didn't like the toy overall because of one feature.

Infiltrator: I refuse to buy the P.O.S. undersized toy. The whole thing is wrong to me, but yes the same thing as with the EpII JSF-dumb wing expansion. Again if done at the right scale or at least 18 inches long, it could have allowed for the Sith Speeder to be attached to it, plus room for the Sith Probe droids.Ok, though it seems like you're dumping on it in general not for it's movie-inaccurate features but it's size.

EpIII JSF: Hmm what was extra here? The wings did fold out, it's understood there is landing gear as there is with all of ships, so that's not out of the realm. If you mean the idiotic "removable" droid/slot then yes that was a bad move. Rather have a dedicated droid in the slot that a half droid and slot that you can't put your own astromech in.I meant the landing gear and firing missiles. And notice how you have a threshold for what is acceptable to add as features outside the films, the only difference is yours stops shorter.

V-wing: if you mean the missles launching, well it wasn't needed and it's a little to trigger happy for my tastes anyway, so I could have done without it. But that one I do understand it's play value.Missiles and the wing pylons sliding outwards.

STAP: Same thing as for the V-wing. still this sold for a good price as I recall, so no complaints there.Missiles and the foot platform moves up and down.

AT-AP: Well the scale is way off, but I'm sure you're talking about the doors on the side. I'm okay with that because it's understood that there are clones inside. Much as there were AT-ST drivers in their vehicles as well. Not the same with the Tank droid. Maybe in vieo gameds, but NOT the movies, and for me that takes precedent.No, I'm not talking about the doors, I'm talking about the raise-up hips and the fold-away middle leg and the missile launcher.

Grievous Starfighter: Well as I don't know all of the features yet, I can't comment here. Perhaps there are yet more missles?The sides of the engines slide out (which I assume are missile-launchers): http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=24187&cat=5406

Really though for most of those, I can discount their added features. I think mostly what I'm trying to say is that if a feature that really isn't needed knocks the toy out of price range or totally out of production, then Hasbro should look to NOT include that feature. If they reference the movies for their decisions then they really can't go wrong. No droid in ball (Homing Spider Droid), no problem. Maybe include a corrected Dwarf Spider droid in the set. Sure it raises that price, but we'd get a coorect droid in both cases.These have a set pricepoint, so it's not raising the price, the only thing it could do is potential lower the size or quality of the design. However, I also countered that argument by pointing out that the set already has to assemble in halves that could just as easily hinge out of the way instead of screw together, and the cockpit design could be part of the lower half's tooling. And as for movie-accuracy, if you don't use the feature and it doesn't affect the movie-accurate look, why do you care if there's a cockpit inside the Hailfire Droid or potentially a Corporate Alliance Tank Droid or a Homing Spider Droid if you can't even tell they're there? I just find the "I wouldn't want space for a figure inside either. It's not how it was in the movie" argument to be a particularly limited one and unfair to those who want added play options without compromising the visual integrity of the item. Nobody seems to hate the POTF2-era AT-AT because the communications array is in the body instead of the cockpit, or the modern X-wing because the seat folds forward for storage, so it comes off to me as a double-standard, you don't like the idea of what it could be even when you don't always care about the application when it actually gets here.

Honestly, a lot of these designs like the Hailfire are kinda boring to play with when you can't put a figure inside, they're ok for a minute but then they're just giant figures that don't look like figures and don't interact well with other figures.

Again I'll go back to my first sentence in this response to say that yes I know the features are put in for play value for kids, but it's still mostly adults I'm seeing buying this for themselves. Not actual kids, or parents of.

Gawd, I'm getting old....Collecting SW on the scale I have has just drained me, not just financially either. I'm so glad that I'll be cutting way back next year.Well, you may not be seeing it, but Hasbro's numbers say it's casual consumers keeping the line alive, not hardcore collectors, so pandering to both audiences makes more sense when it's done right than making boring toys so some geezers like us can put our unplayed-with action figures on a shelf with our unplayed-with vehicles and watch them collect dust. I don't get that thinking, if they're not fun and interacting with figures, what's the point? Why not get Titanium Series or model kits which are going to be more accurate usually and have far fewer inaccuracies than these figure-line vehicles? Isn't the reason we buy these vehicles because they go with our other toys?

jedi master sal
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
All I can say about the whole post above is YES I have double standards on some of these things. I'm allowed...

I don't want added features if it raises the price, decreases the size of the ship to add the feature, or detracts from the look of the toy.

Many of the features I mentioned where just nit-picks. But as an observation of them now looking back, for this SW collector, I see that they were not necessary for my needs. There wasn't a whole lot of extras to the vintage stuff that I recall (with some exceptions of course) and yet I played with those just fine as a young lad. There is something to be said about leaving things to one's imagination. I can honestly say that if most of if not all of the features I mentioned were not included and I were a kid, I still would have gotten about as much play timie out of them. Then again as a kid back in the 70s and 80s we didn't have the puter to turn on and play with, so our attention could be held with toys. I could easily waste away 14 hours on a warm Saturday playing with SW toys/LEGOs/G.I.Joe/Transformers, etc. It just doesn't seem like that's the case nowadays.

Though I could be wrong and if so would feel better about that. Heck I'd rather kids be playing with toys. No reason to grow up to soon.

Sorry, got a little off topic waxing nostalgic about my youth.

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, the thing is, vehicles don't sell when they're straight-up anymore, kids don't flock to these things like they did when we were kids, there's a lot more forces at work in the market today which affect those sales - almost no other toy line can move vehicles anymore. So Hasbro has to make them more fun because otherwise not enough people will buy them and Hasbro won't pay for more of these.

And we can say "maybe this would have been bigger if they hadn't done X" but the reality is that these have strict budgets and if they don't have play features, they won't even get off the drawing board because Hasbro won't believe they can sell. Something like the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter isn't going to be that much bigger than it is now because they take out the play features; on the flip side, the Sith Infiltrator couldn't have been any bigger in the $20 box and they shouldn't have tried, with or without features.

jedi master sal
08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
...the Sith Infiltrator couldn't have been any bigger in the $20 box and they shouldn't have tried, with or without features.

But that toy should have been at least twice the size. Why the $20 pricepoint has to be the mark for everything nowadays isbeyond me. It's ridiculous. We will NEVER see some of the most desired vehicles/ships yet to be produced from the Saga, if Hasbro continues to go this way.

And the thing is, playsets CAN be done in this price range, yet they won't even consider it.

I keep saying that modular playsets will work. For example, if we know months in advance that we are going to get 8 Death Star playsets over the next two years at the $20 pricepoint, I venture to say many of us would be excited about that.
Examples of the 8 sets would be:
Red command center (from ANH where Han, Luke, Chewie and the droids were)
Detention block
Trash Comapactor
Large/Small/Curve Hallways
Elevator

Then maybe 4 larger sets at $30-40 each over two years could be introduced as well.
Examples of those being:
Docking bay (where the Falcon was)
Emperor's throne room
Trench (where Luke and Leia swing across)
Trench (where Obi-wan sabotages the tractor beam)

The smaller sets could attach to all other smaller sets and the larger sets, even stacking them (so the elevator set would make much more sense then). The large sets would most definitely attach to the smaller sets and really a simple intelocking deisgn could be made so that they even connect with the other large sets.

But hasbro MUST get beyond only planning out a year at a time, especially if something like the playsets as I've described were ever going to happen. Two years may seem long, but it really isn't. Keeping us excited for the next set to come out and us all knowing it WILL come out, will keep us buying.

We all need places to put out loose figures, so why not playsets?

Gawd I really wish I could have some sway with Hasbro and get these playsets done.

Either that or they should sub contract them out to another manufacturer. Then they can sit back and enjoy profits, however big or small and let someone else take the risk and do their "dirty work."

Still even after all this,
I STILL WANT AN AT-TE!

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 11:48 PM
But that toy should have been at least twice the size. Why the $20 pricepoint has to be the mark for everything nowadays isbeyond me. It's ridiculous. We will NEVER see some of the most desired vehicles/ships yet to be produced from the Saga, if Hasbro continues to go this way.Why the $20 pricepoint? Because that's the only pricepoint casual collectors are willing to buy in confident numbers, and because the box size is small enough that retailers can put multiple units on the shelves without stealing huge quantities of their vital real estate on a risk that an item may not move quickly.

No, the SI should never have been considered for anything under $30, but collectors demanded it even after they were warned well in advance that it'd be unsatisfyingly small and Hasbro responded when they felt their vehicle line could support the entry. Neither group as a whole considered the ramifications of stuffing a 10 pound turkey into a shotglass. That doesn't change my point though, at $20, the SI wouldn't have been significantly bigger without its myriad of silly gimmicks because it wouldn't have fit in the box.

And the thing is, playsets CAN be done in this price range, yet they won't even consider it.They won't consider it because their market research says casual collectors aren't remotely interested, and sadly, they're right. Nobody's gotten away with doing a playset that wasn't a vehicle as well in quite some time, the Ep 3 and Ep 2 Hasbro playsets didn't do well and Zizzle's got a ton of those lame POTC3 playsets everywhere, their Isla Cruses or whatever it was shelfwarmed hard as well. Mattel did a Batman Begins one, tanked; a Justice Leauge one, no interest. Until someone comes up with a new, exciting idea for playsets, they seem DOA. And as much as you and I have pushed the idea of modular playsets over the years, nobody seems to believe in it. Perhaps they're right to be, too, right now space is at a premium for more and more kids who live in cramped, urban homes, so where does a non-vehicle, passive playset fit into that play-n-storage pattern realistically?

And realistically, do you think even hardcore collectors will hang in with the concept for several years, knowing their dreams won't be fulfilled if Hasbro tanks the whole line and puts it to bed before their larger rooms come out? Keep in mind, there's precedent for that kind of disappointment several times over with the Star Wars Kenner line. We're living in an age of "now now now!" instant gratification, we expect new figures every month - how does a business model for a multi-year plan like that fit? Unfortunately, the realities don't always fit what we want most.

figrin bran
08-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Just to add to JT's list of playsets that have tanked, The TMNT Movie Tower playset hasn't seemed to do that well (got one on clearance at Target for about $7) nor have any of the previous TMNT playsets or vehicles.

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Mattel's Castle Greyskull from a few years back tanked hard, as did the pre-movie TMNT sewer which they marketed twice for no good reason (and that thing was pretty cheap for the size too - Playmates can really get some hefty size out of their dollar when they want to)

jedi master sal
08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
The thing is, most if not all those other lines are one hit wonders. They do not have the staying power that SW does. TMNT suffered from a poor movie outing. And yes, some might say that for SW, but those numbers do not lie, we KNOW the prequels were a hit.

POTC, while good, is still new enough so the idea of it hanging around is untested.

However what I'm noticing is that many movie toys just dont' sell well after about a month of the movie's release. Kids just don't seem to have that attention span.

But SW has perservered (sp?).

Why? Who really cares, the fact that it has is what's really importnat to those of us who have stuck by it all these years.

So I understand why other lines, especially those that are movie based would have horrible showings for playsets.

I'm still of the firm belief that playsets can be done, and done affordably. So long as there is a long term plan and Hasbro keeps the fans notified of what those plans are in advance to keep the hype up.

Testing the waters with only one or two playsets isn't going to work either. If Hasbro announced they were going to only do one playset from the Death Star I can see MANY people saying something like, "Why bother? If I can't have all or most of the scenes, then I don't want just one of them." Might seem sad, but I think that's a close to the mark statement.

This is why the carbonite chamber didn't do so hot I think (not to mention a very subpar pack-in fig). Had there been a landing platform set, Vader/Luke duel sets (1 and 2 for different locations), dinging room set (maybe-as it would be low on the list, I suspect), then maybe the carbonite set would have done better. Especially if Hasbro would say something to the effect of, "One of six exciting new Cloud City playsets coming soon to a store near you." Then release one every 3-4 months. That's enough time to keep us wanting more, but not too much to discourage us and not to quick where we feel like we can't keep up.

People can alk to their blue in the face about what Hasbro says the market is saying about them. But I really don't think with regards to playsets they are listening. Just look at how many other SW collecting sites pose playset questions to Hasbro. There is a desire. Certainly among hard corre collectors, and I'd bet if given a GOOD chance even casual buyers would be stoked about buying many of the sets. Especially at the $20 pricepoint and spread out over a reasonable amount of time.

I think another thing that's suffering is that we just don't see much TV advertising for SW like we used to. Hasbro is counting on word of mouth, especially through websites such as ourselves. That just won't reach the casual collector. Not like TV ads will.

Ah well, it's quittin' time at work, so I'll stop here for now.

JediTricks
08-18-2007, 05:14 PM
The thing is, most if not all those other lines are one hit wonders. They do not have the staying power that SW does. TMNT suffered from a poor movie outing. And yes, some might say that for SW, but those numbers do not lie, we KNOW the prequels were a hit. POTC, while good, is still new enough so the idea of it hanging around is untested.TMNT I was talking about the line before the movie, that did pretty well for a while when it first rebooted. MOTU did strong its first year back.

Anyway, the thing is, this has nothing to do with its staying power as an entertainment medium and everything to do with a toy line.

However what I'm noticing is that many movie toys just dont' sell well after about a month of the movie's release. Kids just don't seem to have that attention span.

But SW has perservered (sp?).

Why? Who really cares, the fact that it has is what's really importnat to those of us who have stuck by it all these years.Power Rangers was top of the list for 10 years solid with an ebb and flow of tv and movies, right now the show is barely seen at all yet the toys continue on. There are a few reasons kids buy: they like what they like; they like what their friends like; they like what they know; they like what they've recently seen. Star Wars seems to be branded as the 3rd, societal familiarity, everyone knows who Darth Vader is, so kids recognize that and buy from there. Star Wars has persevered because Lucas keeps reminding kids that the line exists ever since '95, and the line ebbs and flows from that with collectors taking up the slack (POTJ is a great example, fantastic line but no kid interest, so they created Saga with its stupid action gimmicks to get the kiddies back).

So I understand why other lines, especially those that are movie based would have horrible showings for playsets.

I'm still of the firm belief that playsets can be done, and done affordably. So long as there is a long term plan and Hasbro keeps the fans notified of what those plans are in advance to keep the hype up.Every playset Hasbro's attempted in the last 12 years has done terribly. Even with heavy collector interest, there's not enough overall purchasing to make it work. Granted, their playsets largely suck, but the box looks exciting enough that it should at least have suckered a fair number of buyers in.

Testing the waters with only one or two playsets isn't going to work either. If Hasbro announced they were going to only do one playset from the Death Star I can see MANY people saying something like, "Why bother? If I can't have all or most of the scenes, then I don't want just one of them." Might seem sad, but I think that's a close to the mark statement.No way they're going to risk committing to a whole line though, you're talking about a major gamble of their budget on something that has a proven record of failure - it'd be like announcing 20 Star Wars Custom Choppers instead of 3. Granted, you and I believe in the modular playset idea, but that's not a realistic view of the market.

This is why the carbonite chamber didn't do so hot I think (not to mention a very subpar pack-in fig). Had there been a landing platform set, Vader/Luke duel sets (1 and 2 for different locations), dinging room set (maybe-as it would be low on the list, I suspect), then maybe the carbonite set would have done better. Especially if Hasbro would say something to the effect of, "One of six exciting new Cloud City playsets coming soon to a store near you." Then release one every 3-4 months. That's enough time to keep us wanting more, but not too much to discourage us and not to quick where we feel like we can't keep up.Where would they put all of that in their homes? The Carbon Chamber failed because it's not much of a playset, there's very little floor, no doors, not much to see or do, it's basically just a subpar gimmick. And if you're saying it's the figure's fault that the set tanked, why would they bother doing our modular playset concepts when those come with no figure at all?

And keep in mind, Kenner did that "build the whole universe! More coming soon!" thing with Micro Collection and then left collectors high and dry when they stopped supporting the line prematurely.

People can alk to their blue in the face about what Hasbro says the market is saying about them. But I really don't think with regards to playsets they are listening. Just look at how many other SW collecting sites pose playset questions to Hasbro. There is a desire. Certainly among hard corre collectors, and I'd bet if given a GOOD chance even casual buyers would be stoked about buying many of the sets. Especially at the $20 pricepoint and spread out over a reasonable amount of time.The point isn't what the collectors want, the collectors want a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, the collectors say things like "hell yes I'd buy a $300 Millennium Falcon!" but the reality is that A) a significant portion of collectors won't put their money where their mouths are; and B) even if they did, collectors are only one portion of the overall SW buying market for Hasbro, so every collector from every site could buy one and without the casual buyers behind it they would either have to gouge the collectors with an inflated price to make up the difference, or eat a loss.

I think another thing that's suffering is that we just don't see much TV advertising for SW like we used to. Hasbro is counting on word of mouth, especially through websites such as ourselves. That just won't reach the casual collector. Not like TV ads will.Honestly, I don't think kids are centralized around TV anymore enough to make TV ads work anyway. Granted, Hasbro SW should have a presence anyway, and a far better one than the TV ads they currently have, but ultimately it seems to be word of mouth carrying the line working the line. It's hard to know when that's happening what portion of your sales are from your high-priced TV ads and what are from free word-of-mouth.

stillakid
08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
I think that modular playsets don't work primarily because they don't really look like anything from the movie. Without the outer shell (of whatever the playset is supposed to be), it still winds up looking like a plastic box with the name "Star Wars" printed on the cardboard. Make it LOOK like a spaceship or whatever then make the playability from there. Parents will drop $20 + bucks for something that they at least recognize from their own youth rather than something that looks like a cheap toy with a brand name attached to it.

Gothiczartan
08-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I want to see a new cloud car with the reused of the vintage cloud car and to be repainted!

mark2d2
08-20-2007, 03:23 AM
I want to see a new cloud car with the reused of the vintage cloud car and to be repainted!

I have always wanted that, too. I recently gave up though and finally just ordered a nifty vintage Cloud Car off ebay and can't wait for it to arrive later this week!

I would love to see a reissue of the Rebel Troop Transport. That would be way beyond cool.

And I do second the idea that the reason all the modern playsets haven't sold all that hot is that, well, they have pretty much all sucked.

Gothiczartan
08-20-2007, 08:29 AM
AT AT Walker - New design to make it little bigger and have a metal part underneth for luke's harpoon gun magnetic attach (if hasbro make luke pilot ESB).

Gungan Sub - must have, carry three figures

AT-ST Walker - New design for to fit two figures or maybe four

Dagobah playset - New design

JediTricks
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Trust me on this, don't bother asking Hasbro for a Cloud Car based on the vintage version, they don't have the tooling so they'd have to pull molds from a production model and then retool that to fit modern safety regs, all this would be time-consuming, expensive AND leave an underwhelming product since the original Cloud Car was soft on detail to begin with and a mold pulled from that would be even softer.

Just ask for an all-new Cloud Car instead, that way you'll get better detail, canopies that don't pop off all the time, and a real interior instead of just blank ugly nothing that figures rattle around in. Cloud Car is the 1 vehicle I'd like to see them add electronics to, make the cannons light up, the engine light up, and the vehicle can make the sounds for both.

BTW, on the playset issue, what playsets haven't sucked in the last 25 years?

Mando3lite
08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
1. Of course AT-TE, i think it would be even cooler to do this
And the gunship transport for it, From attack of the clones. It
looks like a gunship but with the troop part removed.
2. An AT-OT would be cool too(All Terrain Open Transport) From felucia
3. Droid gunship also should be made at the very least, i mean
quit favoring the good guys!
4. ooo The tradefederation MTT, they could produce this. maybe
not to scale but it would make a very cool addition to a droid army.
5. gungan bongo would be a very cool piece to add to any collection
6. even some Concept Vehicles!! hey!

Gothiczartan
08-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Trust me on this, don't bother asking Hasbro for a Cloud Car based on the vintage version, they don't have the tooling so they'd have to pull molds from a production model and then retool that to fit modern safety regs, all this would be time-consuming, expensive AND leave an underwhelming product since the original Cloud Car was soft on detail to begin with and a mold pulled from that would be even softer.

Just ask for an all-new Cloud Car instead, that way you'll get better detail, canopies that don't pop off all the time, and a real interior instead of just blank ugly nothing that figures rattle around in. Cloud Car is the 1 vehicle I'd like to see them add electronics to, make the cannons light up, the engine light up, and the vehicle can make the sounds for both.

BTW, on the playset issue, what playsets haven't sucked in the last 25 years?

ok a new sculpt cloud car is ok for a cloud car pilot figure (OTC line). I still wanted to see a new dagobah playset in new sculpt instead and also a sarlaac pit playset too!

Kidhuman
08-20-2007, 10:36 PM
This thread is for vehicles, not playsets. Please keep it on track.

jedi master sal
08-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Nice. heh.

TheRealDubya
08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Nice. heh.

It was like he was laying down lashes with your whip Sal. Keeping peeps in line.

I would love to see a new Cloud Car, but the vintage one I got for $10 can suffice in the meantime. They are readily available on ebay, I guess, but having a revamped one on shelves would rule.

I'd like a second chance at the redesigned Landspeeder and the Skiff.

We also need a new speeder bike and the Slave-1 needs a new paint app and re-release.

From the EU, I have always liked the E-Wing and the X-1 Viper Automadon from the Dark Empire comics. Cam Kennedy's design work was super cool.

E-Wing:

X-1 Viper Automadon:

Gothiczartan
08-22-2007, 01:58 AM

is there another thread about playsets, creatures like the sarlaac?

the vehicle I would like to see is a MTT and droid carrier vehicle like this

that can carry battle droids and can be use has a figure carrying case.

Kidhuman
08-22-2007, 06:12 AM
Yes there is a playset thread. Just have to find where it is, dont have the link

Gothiczartan
08-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes there is a playset thread. Just have to find where it is, dont have the link

what about the creatures, does anyone have the link for what figures you like to see made?

Blue2th
08-22-2007, 03:32 PM
is there another thread about playsets, creatures like the sarlaac?

the vehicle I would like to see is a MTT and droid carrier vehicle like this

that can carry battle droids and can be use has a figure carrying case.
So, did I miss this vehicle/ carrying-case when it came out? Where did you get that pic Gothi?
It's hard to tell just what the size of it was from that upper right hand pic, but obviously somebody made it.
I would like to see something like that, maybe a little more detail. The MTT is one of my favorite vehicles. I hope we see them in Clone Wars.

mark2d2
08-22-2007, 03:51 PM
So, did I miss this vehicle/ carrying-case when it came out? Where did you get that pic Gothi?
It's hard to tell just what the size of it was from that upper right hand pic, but obviously somebody made it.
I would like to see something like that, maybe a little more detail. The MTT is one of my favorite vehicles. I hope we see them in Clone Wars.

Yeah, what is that there in the picture? Is that some unreleased prototype or what?

Gothiczartan
08-22-2007, 04:29 PM

I had to show you a pic of a vehicle, I don't remember where did I get with all the pics I have been searching to show the best vehicles deserves a toy vehicle.

you can pass this on!

DarkJedi5
09-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Mainly I just want reissues of the TRU exclusive Landspeeder, the B-Wing Starfighter, the Target exclusive OTC Slave I, and the Desert Sport Skiff.

I'd pass on the skiff (only cause I was lucky enough to snag one on the first go around) but the landspeeder would be awesome and the B-Wing I've got is from the original Kenner line and it has NOT held up well over the years.... But my big question is what's a guy gotta do to get the TIE fighter with the right wings? Hasblo keeps releasing the one that's totally off scale when it seems like they've got the mold of the proper one and keep giving us crap. Why? Why would anyone buy the stumpy one when we know what they're capable of?

AmanaMatt
09-15-2007, 06:13 PM
We have gotten most of what I like from the original trilogy:

I still would like a non EU Tie Interceptor, a new Bike for my Biker Scout and if they every did a correctly scaled M.Falcon, or closer to it, I would go nuts and buy that in a heartbeat!

TheRealDubya
09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Did you guys all see THIS (http://adctalk.com/index.php?showtopic=2043352&skinid=20) yet? Beyond awesome. Now that's what I call taking the bull by the horns.

Blue2th
09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Wow! That is awsome! Must be nice $$$. It's non-moving but definitely has play value.
He said his next one on order has working treads from four RC tanks. He better make sure the frequency is the same, but I don't see why that couldn't work. I think we were discussing this in another thread a couple of years ago. Used to be able to get those 1:18 Ultimate Soldier RC tanks at Walmart (I've got two) and how they might be used on a custom Sandcrawler.

He said the guy who makes these is from South America. I think it's from the same guy who was selling a custom 3 3/4 Jabba's Sailbarge a couple of years ago on eBay. Talk about bid-mania. People went nuts over it.

El Chuxter
09-20-2007, 03:20 PM
And Hasbro's too dumb to realize that's money that they could be making.

Dark Marble
09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow, I could never imagine Hasbro coming out with anything that size. It would probably be hundreds of dollars and no store would ever allow the space to have that thing just sit around. I can really imaging any Star Wars vehicle or playset I would want that big. It is impressive however. :yes:

Kidhuman
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
That is nice. I like it lots. Reminds me of the Custom Sail Barge that dude in South America made

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
That's crazy cool, but huuuuuge! Oh, and the main door opens wrong, there's no big step down. :p

TheDarthVader
09-20-2007, 10:08 PM
SS, GG, and NECA have all worked with electronics; why can't one of them make this thing? They could limit it to like 250-500 pieces. That Sandcrawler is freakin' awesome. I would be all over one, especially if it was a R/C! Wow. YES, yes, yes!

pbarnard
09-21-2007, 09:40 AM
That is nice. I like it lots. Reminds me of the Custom Sail Barge that dude in South America made

First off, this guy didn't make this. He ordered it from a guy in South America.

http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=3504

It probably was made by the same person.

Kidhuman
09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
HE is getting the sail barge in January he says. Thats freakin amazing.

TheCivilCollector
09-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Someone Mentioned E-Wing- Definite coolness!

-Lars Family Speeder
-Imperial Troop Shuttle (ANH extended Tatooine scene)
-Ep2 Royal Cruiser (Flying Wing)
-A non-rubber Zam Wessel Speeder
-Blue Concept Cloud Car (from art of Empire)
-Sentry TIE Fighter (From Dark Empire)

Greivous' fighter WAS number 1, but WOO-HOO, we're getting it!