PDA

View Full Version : Takara Tomy Star Wars figures.

plasticfetish
08-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Okay, this one's going to be vague, and mostly I'm throwing this up for the purpose of quiet speculation, but let me begin by telling a quick story about something that I saw at Comic-Con a few weeks ago...

While wandering through the Hasbro booth for probably the 300th time, I just happened to be wandering by as two gentleman from Takara Tomy were unwrapping some (what I'm assuming were) prototype figures, in order to show them to the crew (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=24721&cat=5416) from Hasbro. Also in attendance was the merchandising guy from Lucasfilm (forget his name now.)

So... here's the deal and what I saw. The Takara Tomy person removed two carefully bundled figures from a bag, unwrapped them and laid them out on the counter for the Hasbro people to see. One was a highly articulated roughly 8-inch (?) figure of Darth Vader, and the other was Boba Fett. They also laid out and presented a book with images of other figure that they've been working on. Mostly I was able to look at the photos of clones... all sorts of colors, deigns, etc. They also had some "human" characters, but the Hasbro people commented on the complexity of doing "skin", and preferred armor/metal.

These figures seemed to be based around an articulated diecast body (I think. I only saw a photo of the naked body, and it appeared to be metal.) that would include all kinds of parts and pieces for you to add and assemble. I interpreted this as being something like a model kit/Medicom figure, but in a smaller scale. Highly detailed though, and from what I saw, they looked amazing. I'm remembering the Fett figure in particular as being really stunning.

The marketing/design people from Hasbro seemed pretty blown away and excited by what they were seeing, and if it weren't for the fact that I was pretty much looking over their shoulders -- feeling like a peeping Tom -- I'd have shot some photos. I got the impression though that this wasn't something they wanted photographed.

There was also a box out on the counter with a Vader in it. I'm not 100% sure if it was something that had been there, or if it was set out by the Tomy guys... a prototype box or something.

In the end there was talk about setting up distribution, then the Lucas marketing guy stepped in, and they all talked a bit. I think I overheard talk of a price at around $100 per figure, and then about how the Takara Tomy guy wanted Hasbro to distribute it, and not Starwarsshop.com (or something like that.)

-----

I'm curious to know if anyone else was wandering past and saw this little meeting, and if anyone else picked up any info.

Other than that, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what turns up in time, if anything at all.

JediTricks
08-09-2007, 04:10 PM
We heard about these die-cast metal figures a few months ago, but they fell off the radar. I thought they looked ok but simplistic up close, and they were priced way too high considering.

Sadly, I missed this meeting, sounds like it was cool.

TheRealDubya
08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
You can find them on Star Wars Shop:

Boba:
http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=406899;category_id=322;pcid 1=;pcid2=

Vader:
http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=406896;category_id=322;pcid 1=;pcid2=

plasticfetish
08-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Yep! That's them... exactly. (So, I suppose they did end up going with starwarsshop.com.)

Their book had photos and sketches for figures like Biker Scouts, Clones (AOTC and ROTS), Han Solo (Hasbro nixed that one, and a few others that I can't exactly remember at this point.

Good catch TheRealDubya!
Now I can quit trying to guess what those were. :)

edit: oh, and Star Wars Shop spelled the name Ohtsuka Kikaku (http://www.hlj.com/~tanoue/HLJ/maker/OHT.html) wrong it seems.

TheRealDubya
08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
If Tomy/Takara did pick up Stateside distribution from Hasbro for this line, and they got the price down to $20-$30, I could see myself grabbing a few of them. Fett and a Biker Scout sound especially cool. But not for $100.

JediTricks
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
That's still pretty pricey, but yeah, far more realistic. I might buy them if I saw them in person and was able to experience them, but without that I doubt I'd drop even $25 on 'em - and I dig diecast too.

plasticfetish
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I might buy them if I saw them in person and was able to experience themI know, if say... maybe someone could send us a sample or something... to maybe review... ;) ;) ;) (Hah!)

Yeah, $100 is steep and probably well beyond my $0 budget, but I'm not surprised by the price really. Still, it would be nice if they could get them down to about half that.

JediTricks
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Shyah, right! Keep dreamin' there buddy. :p

plasticfetish
08-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, dream... I've been up since 4am. I think I'll take a nap now. Maybe after that I'll write a review for those figures. ;)

mabudonicus
08-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Is it just me, or do Fetts legs look MEGA GOOFY??

And a hundred bones, yeesh, I could have an army of VOTC Greedos for that kind of bread!!
:beard: Iso & Baws

When's the 5 3/8" line coming out??

TheRealDubya
08-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Is it just me, or do Fetts legs look MEGA GOOFY??

And a hundred bones, yeesh, I could have an army of VOTC Greedos for that kind of bread!!
:beard: Iso & Baws

When's the 5 3/8" line coming out??

If I was going to spend a hundo on something, I'd go buy two Dagobah X-Wings. Or I'd get the 12" OTC Vintage guys.

sergiurusu
08-12-2007, 04:05 AM
BBTS (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1262) says they are 10".

plasticfetish
08-12-2007, 05:09 AM
My memory isn't so clear, but Vader may have been a little larger just because he's Vader. Just the same though, I'd say they were closer to 8-inch figures... that scale anyway.

sergiurusu
08-13-2007, 06:11 AM
On BBTS there's viceversa (Fett taller than Vader). But we'll have to wait and see...