PDA

View Full Version : E2 Video or DVD

yaddle yodas love pu
02-08-2002, 12:15 PM
I am really looking forward to the E2 movie. I'm even looking forward to SOME of the new figures (too many of the new figures though, I will have to pass on because of the ridiculous poses they are in). However, I am not looking forward to a video tape release of this movie. I simply WILL NOT buy a video tape of E2. I will ONLY buy the DVD version even if I have to wait 2 years for it. Lucas' excuse that he doesnt have enought time to put these movies onto DVD is lame. I think he just wants to get our $$ twice -- once with the video, once with the DVD. I will not feed his greed and I call upon all DVD player owners to boycott the E2 video tapes and be patient until the DVD comes out.

Beast
02-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by yaddle yodas love pu
I am really looking forward to the E2 movie. I'm even looking forward to SOME of the new figures (too many of the new figures though, I will have to pass on because of the ridiculous poses they are in). However, I am not looking forward to a video tape release of this movie. I simply WILL NOT buy a video tape of E2. I will ONLY buy the DVD version even if I have to wait 2 years for it. Lucas' excuse that he doesnt have enought time to put these movies onto DVD is lame. I think he just wants to get our $$ twice -- once with the video, once with the DVD. I will not feed his greed and I call upon all DVD player owners to boycott the E2 video tapes and be patient until the DVD comes out.

Have no fear, Lucas has embraced DVD and stated that for the Video release of Episode II when it happens both VHS and DVD will come out at the same time. No more long extended wait for the DVD, and having to settle for the VHS version until it's released. So have no fear Star Wars fan, you will be able to enjoy EII in all it's digital glory at the same time that non DVD fans will be watching their subpar VHS copies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
02-08-2002, 12:41 PM
He duped us all the first time around by explicitly LYING and saying there would be no Star Wars DVDs until ALL the movies had come out in theatres. So all the DVD aficianados grumbled and decided they didn't want to wait six or seven years to watch Episode I again, so they bought the VHS. Then a few months later, after Lucas was pretty sure that everyone who was going to buy Episode I had done so, announced that it would come out on DVD the following year.

That won't work this time around. So THIS time he'll release a "movie only" version on DVD and the explicitly LIE again and tell us there won't be a special edition until ALL the movies are out in theatres. Then after we've all grumbled and bought the movie only version, they will wait a few months and announce a special 2 disc of AOTC.

Except me. I'm waiting for the Deluxe version.

Rollo Tomassi
02-08-2002, 12:57 PM
It would be an interesting experiment (no studio would go for this) to release a highly anticipated movie in theatres and on video/DVD AT THE SAME TIME. Just to see what the viewing patterns of the audience is. If you could see the movie at home rather than in the theatre, would you? It would depend on the movie, naturally. It would also depend on the marketing of the film. If they didn't tell anyone about the home version until right before it came out vs if they were marketing the home version all along, rather than just marketing the film and leaving its outlet (theatre vs, home) ambiguous. There would also be the theatre owners and the home video retailers to think about. If they knew the other outlet had access to the film, would they be as eager to promote and/or offer the film?

So hypothetically, Episode III is coming to theatres on a Wednesday. The Monday (2 days)before, Lucasfilm announces that a comprehensive 2-disc DVD will be availible that following Tuesday. Since this is a hypothetical we'll just assume that the news didn't leak out from the studio or the company that pressed the DVDs or the retailers that have to order DVDs months in advance and get test copies, etc...anybody. We are all blindsided by this at the last minute.

The question is. WOULD YOU GO SEE IT IN THEATRES?

This is biased because we are all SW fans, so think of a more neutral film. But it would have to be a film you had probably decided to buy on DVD BEFORE you saw the film. Like the 4th Indy Jones film or the next LOTR, or the next Terminator. Whatever.

JEDIpartner
02-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Absolutely! There is no comparison between seeing a film in the cinema versus seeing it on a very good home system. Even though the days of 70mm are pretty much gone, even smallest of the big screens have a way of delivering the goods better than a home theatre. I would never trade the experience of seeing a film at the cinema for one at home... unless it was a romantic comedy or something that didn't require the visual scope of something like Star Wars.
The only thing I WOULD trade, however, is the experience of sitting next to a bunch of youthful miscreants who have never had to make the distinction between a cinema and their living room. I'd love to take a couple of them out midway through the trailers, whack 'em in the gob and tell them to have a little respect since their parents did such a lousy job doing so! :mad: :evil: :D

JetsAndHeels
02-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Amen JediPartnr!! You could not have said it any better.
I recall when I was seeing EP1 (one out of the total 9 times) and this group of unruly kids kept running up and down the aisles. Where are the parents? They are no where!! Obviously this group of kids were just dropped off and left there. No supervision whatsoever. And if there is any, the parents just sit there and say "dont do that."
I agree in that seeing a movie the calibre of Star Wars in the theater is much better than at home. Just in seeing the opening text on the big screen is awesome.
Owning the movie is great, but seeing it first on the big screen is the best movie experience.

Beast
02-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
The only thing I WOULD trade, however, is the experience of sitting next to a bunch of youthful miscreants who have never had to make the distinction between a cinema and their living room. I'd love to take a couple of them out midway through the trailers, whack 'em in the gob and tell them to have a little respect since their parents did such a lousy job doing so! :mad: :evil: :D

Amen JEDIpartnr. I hate going to the movies now adays, there are just so many annoying people that cant shut up during the movie. Or that constantly run up and down the aisles and scream and hollar and put their feet up or kick the back of your damn seat. Lately I have found that if I go to a matinee showing, usually the first of the day around 11:00 or so, I can avoid most of them. Whats even worse is seeing parents bringing young children to R rated pictures. Stuff like that used to be considered abuse, exposing your children to gruesome films and swearing.

I have seen parents with kids between the ages of 1-15 year old kids in movies like Hellraiser, Basic Instinct, and numerous others. Everything from gruesome R Rated horror films to rauncy comedies. Most of the time their kid is screaming in the horror movies, making it utterly unenjoyable for me and most of the other theater patrons who actually came to wastch the film. Whatever happened to hiring a babysitter if you wanted to go see some R-Rated flick. If I acted like kids now a days do in theaters with their parents, I would have gotten the worst spanking of my life. Now parents just shrug it off. :( :frus: :mad:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Evil
02-08-2002, 04:32 PM
I know how you feel, I hate stupid kids in movies, they always manage to ruin the atmosphere.

Rollo Tomassi
02-09-2002, 10:43 AM
You certainly can't spank a child in a movie theatre. You'd have case workers all over your bum in about an hour.

What you CAN do is go tell somebody who works at the theatre. WE RELISH KICKING KIDS OUT OF MOVIES! I mean it! We can't get enough. Intimidating teens and pre-teens is awesome. So go find somebody and they'll remove the problem for you. Same with parents and their screaming infants.

"Oh, you bought your ticket? Well, so did all these other people...take the brat outside...."

And that's how simple it is.:D

Co Jo-Da
02-11-2002, 11:07 PM
I'm very happy that Attack of the Clones is coming out so soon after the theater release, this way I won't have to go through very bad withdraws... :crazed:

Beast
02-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
I'm very happy that Attack of the Clones is coming out so soon after the theater release, this way I won't have to go through very bad withdraws... :crazed:

Agreed same here, as long as it stays true. Means I won't have to track down a bootleg just so I can enjoy the movie at home like I did with E1. Shhhhh. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-14-2002, 04:25 AM
This was in mail bag section for DVD news over at IGN.com. Looks like Sir Steve's Guide is pretty well known. Cool Beans!! :D http://dvd.ign.com/mail.html

Star Wars Episode II
I frequent a web site called sirstevesguide.com ( a Star Wars site ), and they said that at the Toy Fair in New York, an announcement was made, that Star Wars Episode 2 has a release date for both dvd and vhs sometime in Nov. of 2002. Damn, the flick isn't even out in theaters yet! The site usually has pretty solid info on anything to do with Star Wars, so I hope this is true! However, it only scares me into believing that it will be a "bare bones" edition, not having much time to do a special edition like Ep 1. Have you heard any info like this yet? Your doing a killer job on ign/dvd, keep it up!

Jeremy Responds: Yea, I saw that as well. Haven't heard anything official yet, but sirstevesguide.com has usually been pretty reliable...

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
02-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Hey JarJar, how was the quality on that bootleg you bought?
I was in New York last summer and bought a few bootlegs in China Town. I got Mummy Returns, Pearl Harbor, and Tomb Raider (all of these were in the theaters then).
The quality was bad. I think someone just took a camcorder in a theater and taped it from the screen. Yuck.

Beast
02-14-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
Hey JarJar, how was the quality on that bootleg you bought?
I was in New York last summer and bought a few bootlegs in China Town. I got Mummy Returns, Pearl Harbor, and Tomb Raider (all of these were in the theaters then).
The quality was bad. I think someone just took a camcorder in a theater and taped it from the screen. Yuck.

First of all, I do not condone the purchasing of bootleg material. I got my copy of Episode 1 for free. I only got it because I didn't want to wait for the official release. I also replaced it twice as soon as the official release on VHS and DVD came out. That being said, the quality was great...it was a copy taken from a theatrical print and was even in widescreen. The only thing it had that was detracting from the picture was the Arabic subtitles in the black bar of the widescreen. I still have my copy sitting on the shelf with my copy of the Star Wars: Holiday Special. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
02-14-2002, 02:44 PM
How come when anybody mentions SirStevesGuide in a news article they never mention MOI, Rollo Tomassi, SSG forumite extraordinaire!!:mad: :mad: Clearly, I am one of the main reasons the site is so poplular. Everyone crowds in to hear my opinions on religion, politics, film, etc...:(

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
02-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

First of all, I do not condone the purchasing of bootleg material.

Excuse me.
I just wanted to point out that the tapes I bought were poor quality and I wanted to know how yours were.

JediTricks
02-15-2002, 02:32 AM
JJB, IGN got it sorta wrong, the list wasn't shown at Toy Fair:

http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=17&show_article=529

Pretty cool that we got a mention though. :cool:

Beast
02-15-2002, 02:39 AM
Excuse me.
I just wanted to point out that the tapes I bought were poor quality and I wanted to know how yours were.
No problems JangoFett96, I am just saying that for my own protection due to the selling of bootleg material can lead to healthy fines and jail time. That was stated to cover my own keister then to attack yours. :D So no worries at all man, hey after all we all are star wars fanatics, we may as well stick together. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
02-15-2002, 07:21 AM
No problem JarJar, we're cool.
Just hope that DVD is released around the time that is being
said. I dont want to have to wait a long time like we had to with the EP1 DVD.

Rollo Tomassi
02-15-2002, 08:14 AM
Since they released Ep 1 on DVD, they've set a precedent. Now all we have to worry about is a 'bare bones" edition hitting with a Special Edition VHS package. I'll wait for the S.E. DVD, thanks...

Beast
03-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Take a gander at these fan produced DVD and VHS cases for AOTC's that were posted over at the "Home Theater Forum". Looks sweet and probably pretty close to what we will actually be getting this year or early next year. :D The person that posted it said that they found the image over over at Theforce.net.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DVD & VHS Cases:

ThomasLane
03-04-2002, 01:44 PM
I supposed I'm in the minority here, but I'd much rather watch the DVD at home on a medium sized HDTV with a low-end sound system that to drag my family to the theater and let them annoy you fine folks.

And as for the DVD/VHS scam, I purchased the Ep.1 VHS but not the DVD. I couldn't see the point of purchasing the digital version of a movie that I was sick of. I borrowed the DVD from my brother, watched the "new" stuff, and I was done with it.

The DVD delays have everything to do with money. Who would like to bet that the initial Ep.4 DVD offering will only be available in a 6 episode boxed set? I wouldn't be surprised if the initial offering of each of the movies is only available in a boxed set. I'm going to wait for them all to be released before I purchase any of them.

Beast
03-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by ThomasLane
The DVD delays have everything to do with money. Who would like to bet that the initial Ep.4 DVD offering will only be available in a 6 episode boxed set? I wouldn't be surprised if the initial offering of each of the movies is only available in a boxed set. I'm going to wait for them all to be released before I purchase any of them.
Wrong, if they had everything to do with money Lucas would have released the movies already on DVD in bare bones editions, to make money. And then would have done special editions with extra features later, to make even more. Every other movie company does it, just look at Anchor Bay and the Evil Dead movies. Every studio does it, and I am sick of upgrading my DVD's already.

Remember, Lucas only recently embraced DVD technology. He was waiting for it to become more mainstream, which it has now. More DVD players were sold last year, then VCR's. He was a big Laserdisc fan though, that's why the trilogy was released on that format.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
That being said, the quality was great...it was a copy taken from a theatrical print and was even in widescreen. The only thing it had that was detracting from the picture was the Arabic subtitles in the black bar of the widescreen

My friend downloaded a copy of that from the internet and burned me a copy. It was quite cool. I enjoyed it until I was able to get the VHS. Too funny.

Dryanta
03-05-2002, 07:40 PM
I've spent and will spend so much on toys I don't have a dvd player.I think I'll wait just the same and buy all 6 movies when the time comes.'til then I'll have to suffer through Vhs.Besides I can trust my kids with a tape where I wouldn't with a dvd disc

Dar' Argol
03-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Just in seeing the opening text on the big screen is awesome.
Owning the movie is great, but seeing it first on the big screen is the best movie experience.

Actually the theater I saw EP1 at showed it @ midnight opening day. So there was 60 or so of us, at midnight, in the theater. And as soon as "In a galaxy far, far away . . ." came up on the screen, the entire place went NUTZ!!!!! We had a Dath Vader run down the aisle followed by Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi. It was insane and intense at the same time. I hope the same feeling happens again. There's nothing like it!

Co Jo-Da
03-10-2002, 01:42 AM
I love the fact that we don't have to wait a year or two to own this film, THANK GOD for digital technology...

billfremore
03-16-2002, 05:53 PM
I agree with what was said before, kids of all ages and people in general are annoying in any movie theatre. This is why I prefer the matinees like Jar Jar.

But when it comes down to it, I will always prefer to go into a darkened theatre than watch it at home.

2-1B
03-17-2002, 02:35 AM
I like matinees too! I love taking in two afternoon weekend flicks for $10 while still leaving the evenings free :)

Most of the time, people are cool in the theater . . . but the bad ones can really ruin the experience.

pthfnder89
03-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I like matinees too! I love taking in two afternoon weekend flicks for $10 while still leaving the evenings free :)

Most of the time, people are cool in the theater . . . but the bad ones can really ruin the experience.

Absolutely Caesar. There's nothing that compares to seeing a really good movie in a theatre with a big group of other people, IF they are well behaved.

But it's such a gamble these days to go to a crowded showing for me because there is almost ALWAYS at least one group who acts obnoxiously. So these days I usually go to the cheaper and less crowded matinees. That way I can enjoy the movie by myself and really get into it.:)

Plus, with the $4.50 ticket, I can actually aford a coke too :D:D

JediTricks
03-18-2002, 10:55 PM
You haven't seen Star Wars until you've seen it at the huge screen at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood where it all began. When you're sitting there and the Fox logo comes up and the theater is shaking, there are no annoying brats, no sticky floors, no noisy babies, none of that stuff matters; there is just one cohesive, excited audience all enjoying the movie together.

2-1B
03-18-2002, 11:58 PM
Tell me more JT, about this land of the perfect theater experience. :confused: Around here it's just a fantasy.

On Jan 1 when I took in LOTR I had the displeasure of being sprayed on the back of the head with soda from the youngster behind me. That experience was "annoying" "sticky" and "noisy" all at once. :cry:

If this Hollywood Chinese Theater is half as good as you're boasting, I ought to do well :D :D :D :D :D

JediTricks
03-19-2002, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately, the Chinese has been butchered into a MALL THEATER! The exterior is truly heinous, and I haven't even bothered going in since the big disasterous mauling of a once-majestic landmark.

For other theaters, ones with less draw or less-focused draw, I guess it's the show you go to and the seat you sit in, but there's always complaining to the manager if all else fails. :frus:

2-1B
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Mall theaters suck. :thumbsup: