PDA

View Full Version : The Trapped Coal Miners in Utah

Tycho
08-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow. Imagine being trapped hundreds if not 1,000 feet below the surface of the earth, under all that rock.

I hope they can get to them. But they'd have to be in total darkness for several days now. (The flashlight batteries would have long run out). Gosh: imagine what you'd be feeling! How scary would that be?

Do you think they're still alive? Do you think that if they are, they still have hope of rescue?

Supposedly, contact will be made tonight in a matter of a few hours if they are drilling in the right spot to find them. They're going to put down a 2-way microphone / receiver and camera and then see what will be the next step.

kool-aid killer
08-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Im hopeful that they will be found in time. I dont know if their flashlights have "off" switches, and if so i wouldnt be surprised if at some point they turned them off to conserve them.

Kidhuman
08-09-2007, 09:32 PM
They also more than likely carry spare batteries incase they die out during regular work. I hope they are still alive and get out in time. They must be starving and dehydrated no doubt.

DarthQuack
08-09-2007, 09:43 PM
It's a scary thought, I couldn't imagine what I would do in something like that, just say my prayers and hope for the best.

mabudonicus
08-17-2007, 11:26 AM
MAN what a lousy situation- apparently, the tunnel the rescuers were makin has collapsed, killing 3 people and injuring another 6- at this point, is there any point to trying to get down to the possibly still-alive miners trapped in the original incident??

What a pickle- I will NOT make this political, but leave it at a suggestion that maybe stayin the course is impossible at this point- I can't imagine being in any position to make such a decision and do not envy whoever has to make the call
:beard: Iso & Baws

Blue2th
08-17-2007, 11:37 AM
What's with the "bumps" that happen all the time? Apparently this is what caused this latest incident and the last one.
I live in the southwest in New Mexico and I didn't know there was so much siesmic activity. Like tremors every day?
I wish these poor guys godspeed.

LusiferSam
08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
They also more than likely carry spare batteries incase they die out during regular work.

I doubt it. I recently took a tour of an underground mine (salt, not coal) and the batteries these guys use are huge. It's like a four or five pound brick. You wouldn't carry more than one. What likely would happen is one guy would keep his on and the rest would turn theirs off.

kool-aid killer
08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
I dont know any of the people involved in this story but when i read of the three rescuers deaths today it felt like a punch to the stomach. I feel for their families, i really do. Despite this tragedy, i do think they will keep trying for the six. I would imagine that most miners feel an obligation to their comrades and their families, knowing that one day they could end up in that same situation. I wish them all the best of luck.