PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of all those "Chocolate Rain" videos on YouTube?

Tycho
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Geeze. What's the story behind "Chocolate Rain?" It's everywhere on YouTube.

Is that a real song by a professional, some hack American Idol contestant?

Is the voice of a middle-aged singer actually performed by a kid, or does he just look like an under-25-year-old (at least)?

The darn song is stuck in my head now.

Choc-COL-Late RAaaaan......

Is this done to the tune of some older song and is that why it's so familiar?

What's going on here?

DarthQuack
08-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I showed it to a handful of people at work and it's all I hear when I go from room to room, people humming it, etc. I love the 8-Bit Nintendo version...search it out, it's great, and the McDonald's one made me laugh my butt off as well.

Tycho
08-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Thing that confuses me, is if you listen to the lyrics, is he trying to seriously comment on black social issues, and instead everyone's making fun of him while he's trying to do something serious?

Is this the way society rewards you today when everyone can become an instant e-critic?

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2007, 02:49 AM
They showed this on Attack of the Show a week or two ago. Then they actually interviewed the guy the next night. Seems like he actually has the deep voice. He didn't seem to have a problem with people enjoying it as a joke. He has some serious commentary in it, but the listener can enjoy the song however they want. Here is a link (http://www.g4tv.com/pile_player.aspx?video_key=17238) to the interview. There is an ad that plays first. The video was a bit choppy for me even though I have cable internet. Maybe I had too many windows open. It seemed better when I tried it again.

Tycho
08-11-2007, 05:32 AM
MSP, that was a cool link. He's a very likeable and well-balanced guy, at least from that interview.

He's not mad at all about folks satirizing him it would seem (or he's just really excited to be on the show).

But there he said it: you can take it seriously or not. He said it could go either way, he just had to perform it. Pretty cool.

It inspires me actually. I was talking with a friend of the appropriate ethicity to discuss a story idea I had for a novel (about gang issues) that might seem racist. I got his opinion on the matter and he said that it WAS racist. His suggestion (to be politically correct) would be to sprinkle the token good-guy of this race into the story, so I don't come off as saying "all members of said race" are integrated in this gang culture in their community.

I am possibly going to resist that though, because I think part of the poignancy in the story is to make the point that this kind of crap goes on in ethnic neighborhoods far too often such that it is a stereotype (Chocolate Rain picks up on this in the lyrics, so it is acknowledged by Tay, the artist) and I'm only soft-pedalling it by adding characters from the said race that are shown in this positive light (like a cop, judge, or lawyer, in my particular story). These professionals would most likely choose to live away from this kind of community - effectively AWAY from the largest concentration of their own ethnicity. They are of quite a different character.

There are always some that try to be revolutionaries and set examples by returning to these communities, but they might not raise families there, and they might end up victims of crimes in those communities. Others living there might see the professionals as "thinking they are better than the rest of them." (Uh, yeah, indeed they ARE -that's why they can hold together the careers they have).

But this whole thing begs the question, do I want to be considered a racist? I said, "Sure. Why not?" I feel it's better than backpedalling and trying to say "well I have so many such-and-such friends" or that "I'm sorry, I'll edit my work and add the heroic member of this ethnicity even though that's not my original point." My friend probably does not think I'm a racist. He grew up with me and probably knows me better than most I come across. But he asked if I want my other books to face negative sales impacts if I develop a bad reputation as "that racist author?" Would I want to be crucified online and by critics? (I kind of got used to that here, hehe) Of course if I do the story about Muslems, I could get the Iranian government to issue a full fatwah against me! (How's that for publicity?) Of course, critics might hail it on the other hand, as being honest and saying what the PC crowd is too scared to say these days - especially from a voice that comes from a white guy.

Where I relate it to Tay is that I'd just write it because it's a story I want to tell and CAN tell, well. To me that's just like it being a song he has to sing because it just comes out of him. I do enjoy the controversy mind you, but it's not in my heart to attack a whole race by my storytelling - though it also isn't in my heart to be forced to adopt a character to represent a positive light on that race as well. It's a very negative story. In fact, as I noted, if I add a professional member of that ethnicity as well as my gang community into my story, they would likely be the victim of another crime - whether they are part of law enforcement or not. That's kind of becoming a tempting idea now - to illustrate how such communities keep themselves down. It gives me pause about how to extend a short story into something larger with more characters. It would still be a tragedy however, as these communities are tragedies.

Interesting - as was Tay's natural voice. He's almost scary "talking," but very impressive singing. I'd like to know more about him. He seemed older in the intreview while he seems so young in his music video. I suspect that he can make music a new career for himself though. He has "that voice." I'd listen to more that he does.

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I liked when he was on the Jimmy Kimmel Show and Jimmy had him say, "This is CNN".

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I liked when he was on the Jimmy Kimmel Show and Jimmy had him say, "This is CNN".Maybe he has a future in doing Darth Vader voice work.

El Chuxter
08-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Is it a good thing or bad thing that I have no idea what the hell any of you are talking about?

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Is it a good thing or bad thing that I have no idea what the hell any of you are talking about?Call it a good thing, because the repetitive beat will never be stuck in your head for hours on end.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Is it a good thing or bad thing that I have no idea what the hell any of you are talking about?

Call it a good thing, because the repetitive beat will never be stuck in your head for hours on end.

Well, we can change that. Chocolate Rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA)

General_Grievous
08-11-2007, 06:15 PM
The McDonald's version is the only one I found amusing.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Yet another internet meme: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

I dunno what to think, I thought it was kinda weird that he exposed himself to this level of ridicule by posting that video, but at the same time now he's made a name for himself. He should really get competent artist management though, he's got a message and it'll get lost if he lets himself get turned into the next William Hung.

General_Grievous
08-13-2007, 02:19 AM
He should really get competent artist management though, he's got a message and it'll get lost if he lets himself get turned into the next William Hung.

Too late. I feel that with the appearances on Jimmy Kimmel and other shows, he's already become the next William Hung.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-13-2007, 02:34 AM
The difference is that William Hung was famous for how bad he sang. Tay Zonday doesn't sound all that bad. At this point though, it does seem to have the makings of a novelty.

I just listened to all of "Internet Dream" for the first time. I can relate to that song, especially this verse:

"So every day I swear
I'm gonna go to bed at like eleven.
And all of a sudden its 4AM . . .
And I was just watching Youtube and
reading Wikipedia for five hours.
It's like MAN . . . you ask me the
next day. I can't even remember
what I was doin. Crazy."

I'm not up that late, but it's sort of the same thing. I keep meaning to get to bed by 11 and next thing I know it's almost midnight.

Tycho
08-13-2007, 03:04 AM
Too funny. That internet thing is so true!

I just slept from maybe 7 or 8pm until now (it's around 11:30pm) and I might be up the entire night. I'm mostly writing though - but my work requires research. And there you go with the Wikipedia thing.

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 03:37 AM
The difference is that William Hung was famous for how bad he sang. Tay Zonday doesn't sound all that bad. At this point though, it does seem to have the makings of a novelty. My point was that they're both seen as "weird" and "laughable", but you have a point.