PDA

View Full Version : My new ANH wallpaper design

JediTricks
08-11-2007, 07:26 PM
After doing the one for Episode I way back in the day (over 8 years ago, before I joined the site I think, definitely before the movie came out) I somehow lost my momentum to do the rest. But SDCC flicked a little switch in my head and I decided it was time to get back to work on these.

It took me the last several days to put just this first one together for ANH, I have better tools to work with now but am also more OCD about what I'm doing. :crazed: I doubt the next 5 will be significantly easier. :p

Anyway, check them out here:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=68319007&blogID=298342108
Hope you enjoy them. :cool:

Kidhuman
08-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Very nice. I didnt know you had a myspace page

Damn I have been a friend on your page and didnt know it. the 90's were real good to my short term memory.

Rocketboy
08-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Good stuff there, JT!
(I sent you a myspace add also)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2007, 10:04 PM
The wallpaper looks awesome, but even better is seeing that you use the f-word frequently. :D

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 03:31 AM
Glad you guys dig them, that's what it's all about for me. :cool:

Very nice. I didnt know you had a myspace page

Damn I have been a friend on your page and didnt know it. the 90's were real good to my short term memory.Didn't know? You and I worked together on the SW_collecting page right after I added you, that wasn't even 18 months ago. :p

You is added Rocketbizoy!

The wallpaper looks awesome, but even better is seeing that you use the f-word frequently. :DWhy, I don't know whatever you mean. ;) (Ask Deoxy or Figrin Bran about it, they'll confirm I'm a nice, clean-cut guy in person with no salty talk whatsoever)

bobafrett
08-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Could use a few more stormtroopers in those pictures. Stormtroopers rule!

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I thought about that, my original selections were:
- Han chasing Stormtroopers, or vice-versa
- Stormtroopers at the Falcon when it first lands
- Stormtroopers marching in the hall
- Sandtroopers in formation marching to the docking bay
- Sandtroopers getting fooled by Obi-Wan
I had a hard time deciding because I wanted something that really said "Stormtroopers" if I was going to have them at all, but somehow none of those shots quite spoke to me as loudly as the images I ended up choosing, so in the end it's just them watching Vader duel with Ben.

And my excuse for being able to get away with this was "I'll have plenty of chances to show white-clad troopers in the ESB, ROTJ, AOTC, and ROTS wallpapers" which seems a little suspect, but when I thought about it the one thing all those instances have that ANH does not is a real quality-lookin' garrison type picture because they're not as prominent in the film. So, I'll be able to include troopers that look good instead of just "ok" which is how they came off in the ANH screencaps I took - the closest was the troopers in the hall but it was so drab at a time when over half the shots I had chosen were already drab (ANH is a bit drab in general, I love it despite its limited color palette). This is going to sound a little weird, but I actually try to balance out colors and directionality to ensure that something isn't drawing the eye away from the screen unduly while simultaneously keeping the faux-scrolling going.

BTW, thanks so much, now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of the shot of the stormtroopers shooting at Luke & Leia in the Death Star chasm scene. :crazed: I shouldn't second-guess myself at this point, I was lucky I found shots I was happy with - that Han shooting Greedo one was the most unbelievable find of the lot, I never expected that one had enough visual detail to work at all, and the first grab I have from the scene it doesn't, it's all motion-blurred with Greedo finishing the slump.

And your Simpsonized 'tar is creeping me out, very Un-frett but somehow not. :p

bigbarada
08-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Those are some amazingly crisp screengrabs, what are you getting them off of?

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
You're gonna be shocked, but it's just the first version of the DVDs, I'm pulling images with a little program called PowerDVD (http://www.download.com/CyberLink-PowerDVD/3000-2139_4-10533000.html?tag=pdp_prod), it's not even a vidcap program primarily, just a player with vidcap capability in it - you can define what size you want it to make and it'll do its best to interpolate up to that. I searched the web like crazy for something that could do this, I kept coming up with this program and thinking it wasn't what I was looking for but finally gave it a trial try and it worked out. Now I have 28 days to get this stuff done or shell out $50. ;)

So I take them at 1024 and then shrink them down to my max size of like 500-something, it works pretty well for most shots - I had to kick up the levels on almost every shot though, the ANH DVD is ridiculously dark. You can see in the 1600x1200 wallpaper that the Han picture is somewhat artifacty, there's actually even MORE detail to show in there - his gun is far more visible - but the higher I kicked it up in the dark, the more the light sections came apart.

That cantina picture takes it right to the edge as well, but I needed aliens and the cantina and it was the perfect shot to have so I worked it over like crazy. ;)

bigbarada
08-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Of course it would have to be a Window-only application wouldn't it?:upset:

Macs are actually set up so that if you have a movie player of any kind going, then it disables the screen capture feature.

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2007, 07:25 AM
JT? Myspace? 6'0''/More to love? My world has been turned upside down!

Friend request sent, Farnsworth, and you're in a world of hurt if Adam doesn't make your "Top 8".;)

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 02:59 AM
Of course it would have to be a Window-only application wouldn't it?:upset:

Macs are actually set up so that if you have a movie player of any kind going, then it disables the screen capture feature.Yeah, Apple is way big on this digital-rights-management stuff I gather, so they make it hard for you. Windows also disables screencaps straight from Windows Media Player through regular methods, but many DVD codecs activate an alternate (shoddy-looking) option in WMP for vidcaps.

BTW, I made this attachment to show you a rough idea of what I'm up against with some of these DVD captures being so dark, the top is pre-edit (except I shrunk it to 800 down from my selected 1024) and the bottom is bringing out the gun detail, which I didn't end up going all the way out to.

(and tell me Han doesn't look his most badarse there!)

JT? Myspace? 6'0''/More to love? My world has been turned upside down!What did you expect, 5' 2" on my tippy-toes and 98 pounds? Hell, I didn't even count my steel-toed boots in there: 6' 2" and can crush you like a bug :p

Friend request sent, Farnsworth, and you're in a world of hurt if Adam doesn't make your "Top 8".;)Well, we wouldn't want to incur the wrath of The Incredible Bonds there... top 12 now sucka! :D

So Sunday I started the ESB wallpaper, there was some trouble as the width of the crawl is different from ANH and the title seems to act very strangely in spacing. But I eventually got the majority of that part ready to go, and now it's mainly finding those 8 images that'll suggest the story and look pretty.

Then Monday I got an idea for my Myspace contact table box, and threw this together: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/commbox.gif
(originally it was the regular "Star Wars" logo instead of my screenname, but the SW logo I was using wasn't scaling right and since I had to make one anyway for my contact table, I figured why not, right?)

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 07:04 AM
What did you expect, 5' 2" on my tippy-toes and 98 pounds? Hell, I didn't even count my steel-toed boots in there: 6' 2" and can crush you like a bug :pRegardless of your "real" body type, anything non-Farnsworthy would've come of a surprise to me.

Well, we wouldn't want to incur the wrath of The Incredible Bonds there... top 12 now sucka! :DDuly noted.:pleased:

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 10:43 PM
You have to picture Farnsworth 129 years younger, and with brown instead of orange hair. ;)