PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried to take apart a Vintage SW 3-position rifle?

orionlukteel
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I've had a broken SW 3-position rifle for years now; I noted that the battery contacts are clean but that the trigger wires sounded loose.

Anyone know how to get the darn thing open? It's got plenty of screws, those aren't the problem, it's the blasted scope eyepiece that seems to be fused to the scope.

Any ideas on how to open it so I can repair the trigger? (And I don't want to go the sledgehammer route. :) )

sjd9299
08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I've had a broken SW 3-position rifle for years now; I noted that the battery contacts are clean but that the trigger wires sounded loose.

Anyone know how to get the darn thing open? It's got plenty of screws, those aren't the problem, it's the blasted scope eyepiece that seems to be fused to the scope.

Any ideas on how to open it so I can repair the trigger? (And I don't want to go the sledgehammer route. :) )

It has the same problem that the balsters sometimes have. The scope part is "somic welded" as far as I know. I have run into a few Han blasters that have this too. Strange, not all of them. Anyway, the only way I know of is to use a nice strong sharp blade and cut through the weld. I you do it right, there will be minimal damage. It might be better to leave it and just have a real cool looking gun. I love the orginal 3 position rifle and would buy everyone I came across if they were not all $80 and up.

LusiferSam
08-13-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm afraid I don't know much about the large blasters. Not owning this piece, I'm at a bit of disadvantage here. So scope does split in half, but there is a ring welding on? One thought that comes to mind is is to try a boil and pop like customizers do. But even with all the screws removed you can't peek inside just a bit?

My guess is (and this is only a educated guess) that the wires aren't disconnected. They would likely be unattached, other than the ends, and that would cause a rattling sound. First thing is the motor might be "frozen." This is a pretty simple problem to solve. The motor needs to be spun by hand until it gets going and than lubricated with a light machine oil. You should be able to do this just by peeking inside.

The second problem might be the contacts in the trigger are dirty. Those might be harder to clear if you can't get a good look inside.