PDA

View Full Version : How Bad Is Hasbro Recycling Body Parts For Figures? Do You Care?

Tycho
08-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Personally, I don't care and I don't even keep score to see if Qui-Gon's lower tunic helps yeild A'Sharad Hett or something.

Does anyone care if they re-use Dutch Vandor or VOTC X-wing Luke's body that much to give us the other pilots with new heads?

OK, Ozzel and Palleon (if he is ever made) should be shorter than average Imperial officers, but what about the Lt. Shan female Imp outfit and Ysanne Isard?

Now those of you who bought Playmates Star Trek back in the day, complained that too many re-paints for the different season uniforms killed the line.

Will this hurt or not hurt Star Wars? Isn't it inevitable?

Do you care if every Jedi robed figure is a completely new sculpt? Can you even tell without much of an effort?

figrin bran
08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Do you care if every Jedi robed figure is a completely new sculpt? Can you even tell without much of an effort?

I do customs, especially Jedi figures and so yes, I can tell without much effort at all. However I don't mind recycling of body parts at all.

Droid
08-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I really don't care as long as the figure is fairly accurate. I think a new head for Imperial officers is a great way to get some figures we might not otherwise get.

stillakid
08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd like to see Amidala's head on Jek Porkins body.

And visa versa.

jedi master sal
08-13-2007, 02:45 PM
I really don't care as long as the figure is fairly accurate. I think a new head for Imperial officers is a great way to get some figures we might not otherwise get.

So long as we get knee articulation...heh. Stupid Death Star Breifing figures without that articulation...

About the Imp officers, the only thing that bothes me is the ranking. For instance the new Luke. He's not a Grand Moff, he's just a one blue pip (that's the squares on the tunic) Leiutenant. As well the female officer is the same or maybe a twoover two blue and red pip LT. But not the 5 in a line pip rank the figure shows.

While some customization is possible to fixed these incorrect ranks, we should be forced to do that. So the reuse of molds in this case does bother me.

Regarding Jedi, many robes can be inter-changeable without much problem, but there are exceptions to this rule as well.

All in all I'm not to bothered with resue of parts, but when they continue to charge us more and more for these when it's an obvious reuse of parts (see ROTS clone from the Legends wave) then it's a travesty. At this point, that clone mold shouldn't be any more than $4 as it's been used ad naseum and no new tooling need be made.

I'd say that so long as a figure is mostly new I don't have a problem with some reused parts, but when the reused parts are 70 percent or more, then that figure should be considered for a multi pack of some nature, be that comic 2-pack, battle pack, etc. It's very unfair to ask we consumers to buy mostly reused figures at normal retail price. Yet that's precisely what Hasbro has done on many occasion, and much more so in the time that Darryl DePreist has taking over the line (coming over from G.I.Joe, which I understand was a problem there as well-though if I'm wrong someone tell me nicely please).

Kidhuman
08-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I dont care really. The only thing I care about is re-issued parts and price increases. They arent using new molds, so why the increase?

stillakid
08-13-2007, 04:33 PM
So long as we get knee articulation...heh.

All of the female figures should come with that.

toonimator
08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
About the Imp officers, the only thing that bothes me is the ranking. For instance the new Luke. He's not a Grand Moff, he's just a one blue pip (that's the squares on the tunic) Leiutenant. As well the female officer is the same or maybe a twoover two blue and red pip LT. But not the 5 in a line pip rank the figure shows.
Actually, since Luke's on Ozzel's body he's ranked Admiral, not Grand Moff, but his comic-accurate rank of Lieutenant is two reds over two blues. Same with Deena Shan.

While I have no problem with the Juno Eclipse sculpt being used for an Ysanne Isard, I don't much care for its use with Deena Shan since she's supposed to be in a jumpsuit, not the tunic uniforms.

I also don't have a problem with the reuse of pilot bodies... I just wish Hasbro would do some research and not ASSUME that all pilots other than Luke are perfectly acceptable at 6' tall, aka Dutch Vander. Dutch was tall. Biggs was tall. But couldn't they even compare facts about Wedge with Luke, or even DENIS LAWSON with MARK HAMILL!? Denis/Wedge is SHORTER than Mark/Luke. Tycho Celchu, should they ever turn him into a Rogue Squadron X-wing pilot, is about Luke's height, too. Same with Wes Janson and Hobbie Klivian, yet Hobbie's also saddled with the too-tall Vander.

For other reuse... when it's applicable, sure! Just try for the best bits possible, and if it's something that has a rank, RETOOL IT. They did it for the Jerjerodd torso used on all the new DS Briefing officers... yet didn't retool Tarkin for his 6x2 badge, leaving him with the 5x2 ROTS badge.

For Jedi, same thing, if it's a reasonable match to the new Jedi, go for it! Particularly with EU Jedi going forward. If they can kitbash something that looks cool and has some great articulation, I don't mind the reuse. I REALLY want Hasbro to reuse accessory sculpts where appropriate, rather than just having a couple go-to ideas (like Stormtrooper E-11s for EVERY IMPERIAL -- that's just lazy, and often inaccurate or flat-out inappropriate), or the POTF2-era Obi-Wan/Luke saber when there's the far better--not accurate to Luke, but better--ROTS Obi-Wan saber & hilt to repaint as a temporary fix until they get off their lazy bums and sculpt up a new one with all the proper differences from the Obi-Wan hilt.

bigbarada
08-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Well, the endless Clone repaints have cured me of any notions of army building and I really just have no interest in getting an action figure representation of every single character in the Star Wars universe. So, I'm currently only interested in characters that would require completely new sculpts, with the only real exception being the weapons and accessories.

Sooo, that means that, with as much as I would want a Kithaba figure, I would rather Hasbro NEVER make the figure than try to kitbash Barada into Kithaba. Either they do it right with an all-new sculpt or they don't do it at all.

Phantom-like Menace
08-15-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't care even slightly as long as it's acceptably accurate. If they wanted, for example, to put a new Tycho head directly onto a Han body and call it Tycho, I'm not too worried about how tall he is supposed to be in relation to Han.

toonimator
08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Nor would I, in that case. But if they put the Tycho head on the Dutch body, that WOULD bug me since it's far more "acceptably accurate" to put his head on the VTSC Luke body, and you get a better figure out of it too.

Tycho
08-15-2007, 03:48 PM
That brings up the whole issue of character height and whether it should be reflected in the action figures for authenticity, as well as how to encorporate it correctly in the EU figures.

Leia started being resized right during 2001's POTJ (Bespin Escape).

I think Vader gained his inch back then, too - but IG-88 sadly stayed too short for a while there. Not the case for Chewie Mechanic who was a great figure.

Now come forward to EU and Gilliad Palleon (Capt. or Admiral or Grand Admiral?) is described (by Timothy Zhan) as a short man. Michael Sheard's Admiral Ozzel (ESB) was as well (Naoleon Complex really fits there, but "he felt surprise was wiser...") but is Hasbro mindful of all that stuff?

Tycho Celchu is not short, but he's average (say Luke Skywalker height or slightly taller) - as is Wedge Antilles. Dutch Vandor, by all accounts, is tall.

I'm not quite sure which is Corran Horn, but I believe Wes Janson is taller than Derek Klivian (Hobbie). Do we care or will a bunch of different heads on X-wing pilot bodies suffice?

Should maybe Rogue Squadron be issued in a scene-pack like the Death Star Conference Table? (EU and / or movie figures together? - Well Janson and Klivian can be X-wing versions and not Hoth but repaints for Hoth could be single-carded as they're direct movie figures).

But isn't it easier to just have 4-5 guys in orange flight suits with different heads on their shoulders and be done with it?

jedi master sal
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
...But isn't it easier to just have 4-5 guys in orange flight suits with different heads on their shoulders and be done with it?

Regarding Rogue or Wraith Squadrons for the male humans, yes, just different heads (but accurate character specific helemts), would be acceptable to me. Many of the ones from the movies have already been made. The few that have there may not be too much source material (actual photos) to say how tall one or another is. Heck hasbro could do like what they are with the Mandolorian sets, use 3-4 different sculpts of X-wing pilots. That should cover all of the ones we want. Accurate heads and helmets then would go a long way towards making this an acceptable format. I could easily see an Xwing set of 14. Both sets would include a mix of Wraith and Rogue Squadrons. (would force us to get both sets afterall so that whichever distributor doesn't get stuck with more Wraith sets-which in all likelyhood would happen).
Hasbro could toss in 2 alien X-wing pilots using parts from other pilots and parts from exhisting aliens to make new-ish kitbashed figure. Cighal the Mon Calamari is a good example of an alien pilot that could be done easily. Voort (the Gamorrean, if I'm getting the name wrong) could be done using Porkins body, and a newly sculpted smaller Gamorrean had (to accomodate the helmet). There are plenty to choose from there.
There's also plenty of human X-wing pilots to choose from as well. No need to dip into the well of unknown characters like they did with the Mando set. There's enough actual characters that have either been in the movies or well documented through novels/comics that can be done.

-Sal

Mad Slanted Powers
08-15-2007, 08:18 PM
About the Imp officers, the only thing that bothes me is the ranking. For instance the new Luke. He's not a Grand Moff, he's just a one blue pip (that's the squares on the tunic) Leiutenant. Which figure is this you are talking about?

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Hasbro hasn't been seriously offending here in a while, so it doesn't usually bug me. The one place that it does is with pilots because that Dutch Vader figure is very tall and has weirdly-preposed arms and lacking articulation. If we were suffering it the way GI Joe has in the past where it was nigh-constant, I'd be livid.

toonimator
08-16-2007, 04:50 AM
Tycho Celchu is not short, but he's average (say Luke Skywalker height or slightly taller) - as is Wedge Antilles. Dutch Vandor, by all accounts, is tall.

I'm not quite sure which is Corran Horn, but I believe Wes Janson is taller than Derek Klivian (Hobbie). Do we care or will a bunch of different heads on X-wing pilot bodies suffice?

Should maybe Rogue Squadron be issued in a scene-pack like the Death Star Conference Table? (EU and / or movie figures together? - Well Janson and Klivian can be X-wing versions and not Hoth but repaints for Hoth could be single-carded as they're direct movie figures).

But isn't it easier to just have 4-5 guys in orange flight suits with different heads on their shoulders and be done with it?
For my money, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie, Wedge, and Corran can and SHOULD all be made using the VTSC Luke X-wing pilot body, with new heads (Tycho can use the A-wing head) and appropriately-painted helmets (and jumpsuit, in Corran's case). Those guys are all without about 2 inches of each other, with Luke being towards the higher end. Biggs & Dutch are fine with tall bodies, they're both around 6'0" (guessing on Dutch, but he seems tall on Yavin). A new Garven Dreis could also technically be the Vander body, but those arms are HORRIBLE in an X-wing cockpit so I'd rather wait on Red Leader until we get a new middle-height body with Luke arms. A Rogue Squadron Baron Fel would also work well with a taller body than Luke's.

So besides Wedge being way too tall thanks to the Dutch body, Hobbie's ALSO way too tall in the upcoming comic pack. But maybe they can offer up another one later on, without the thermal cap, in some multipack.

Regarding Rogue or Wraith Squadrons for the male humans, yes, just different heads (but accurate character specific helemts), would be acceptable to me. Many of the ones from the movies have already been made. The few that have there may not be too much source material (actual photos) to say how tall one or another is. Heck hasbro could do like what they are with the Mandolorian sets, use 3-4 different sculpts of X-wing pilots. That should cover all of the ones we want. Accurate heads and helmets then would go a long way towards making this an acceptable format. I could easily see an Xwing set of 14. Both sets would include a mix of Wraith and Rogue Squadrons. (would force us to get both sets afterall so that whichever distributor doesn't get stuck with more Wraith sets-which in all likelyhood would happen).
Hasbro could toss in 2 alien X-wing pilots using parts from other pilots and parts from exhisting aliens to make new-ish kitbashed figure. Cighal the Mon Calamari is a good example of an alien pilot that could be done easily. Voort (the Gamorrean, if I'm getting the name wrong) could be done using Porkins body, and a newly sculpted smaller Gamorrean had (to accomodate the helmet). There are plenty to choose from there.
Cilghal was a Jedi healer, not a pilot. Her relative (cousin or sister) Jesmin Ackbar, however, WAS a pilot ;) Maybe you're thinking of her, or of Ibtisam, the blue Mon Calamari female from the comics. As for Piggy, I'd rather not have him at all than to have him on Porkins' body. Porkins is hefty, but Piggy's a Gamorrean. More meat there. Plus the Porkins sculpt doesn't hold up very well now... the helmet's okay, since it's accurate to the character (strap undone!) but the body's got the sculpted harness, and in two tones no less! Very odd.

Anyhow, as to the rest, I posted an idea over on Rebelscum about an EE-style set for Rogues. I didn't include the Wraiths simply because the Rogues would be pretty simple due to the comics. It basically went like this:

- 3 body sculpts used. VTSC Luke, a new female body, and either Vander or a new medium-height (between Luke & Dutch) SA body, with Luke arms (gotta be a LITTLE cheaper than sculpting new ones!).

7 pilots:
Wes Janson, Tycho Celchu, Corran Horn, Ooryl Qrygg, all with Luke bodies. Corran's suit is green, to break up the orange monotony. Ooryl has new gloves (three digits each) and a new head. He's a Gand, so a new Zuckuss head would probably suffice. Reuse!
Ibtisam and Plourr Ilo, with the new female sculpt. Ibtisam would need new forearms replacing the gloves, but that's workable. She'll also have a unique helmet.
Nrin Vakil, on the medium-height body. He'd need unique gloves, and probably a unique helmet for his Quarren head.

And that's it. You've got Corran & Ooryl from the books, Tycho from books & comics, Ibtisam, Plourr and Nrin from the comics, and Wes from the books, comics, AND film. A pretty decent mix IMO, with plenty left over for another set (focusing just on Rogues, just on Wraiths, or a mix).

And the bonus? The new female pilot body--in addition to being used on some more prominent pilots from the comics & novels--can be used later for a Twin Suns/Rogue Squadron Jaina Solo :thumbsup:

Nrin could conceivably be replaced with Rogue Baron Fel, or a Luke-bodied Wedge or the Hobbie I mentioned earlier or several others, but I like having 3 non-humans in the set. More visual interest. Plus Nrin goes perfectly with Ibtisam, in that Legolas & Gimli "our people don't get along but we learn to!" way! Also, I like having Janson in the set as the movie 'anchor'. Wedge needs basic-line treatment. And the best part is there's TONS of reuse potential... new female body ready for one major reuse and several minors, new medium pilot sculpt ready for any future pilots, new heads (Wes' head & helmet would already be done, ready for his first Snowspeeder Gunner figure! Ooryl's can be used for Zuckuss, or vice versa!)

A Wraith set could follow, but could be a harder sell despite most folks seeming to enjoy the Wraith books more than the Rogue books. Among the pilots you've got a Gamorrean in an orange jumpsuit who wears a neck tranlator to speak Basic, a horse-headed alien... quite the challenge for Hasbro to make those without making 'em look completely ridiculous :) It'd be nice to get Faces & some of the others, too.

jedi master sal
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Ah yes, I got my Mon Cals mixed up. Thanks for straightening that up.

Sunds like a good set you proposed there. I know I'd buy that. The fact that they are established characters bodes well for the idea.

I suggest you post this in the Dear Hasbro thread and as a question to Hasbro. Just rework your post into a question and submit it to JT.

I'll cross my fingers if that helps...heh.

-Sal

Tycho
08-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I suggest you post this in the Dear Hasbro thread and as a question to Hasbro. Just rework your post into a question and submit it to JT.

I'll cross my fingers if that helps...heh.

-Sal

I'll get to it shortly. Good idea. And great multi-pack ideas.

It's a shame the Mandalorians didn't go that route with the Death Watch (Montross and the like) and the regulars with Jaster Mareel. They could have even kitbashed a Jedi Dooku to fight them and re-issued the Clone Wars generic Jedi from the 3-pack in there. What a wasted opportunity!

But yeah, the Rogues is the best idea for a multi-pack out there now. I suppose you could do Hoth Rebels and add Toryn Farr, but I can just see Rieeken and Derlin showing up AGAIN in that set. :rolleyes:

Ewoks might be the only other mutli-pack I think could work.

Podracers? Senators? (Too much potential for repacks of guys we already have).

Maybe Bespin location figures with ethnic variations. You could say the same about the Naboo - but there's too much of them still leftover in some circles.

Jabba Thugs, possibly?

Rogues still give us more characters we don't have in any form with cheap-to-do head variations.