PDA

View Full Version : Kenner Bagged Figures

gman992
03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
I have a question about the 3 3/4 inch vintage star wars figures. Do the Kenner bags that some of the figures came in say on them "Kenner Made in Hong Kong" on the bags? I bought a figure and it's in a bag, but the bag doesn't say nothing on it, and it is heat sealed. The guy said it was an original Kenner bag, just without the writing on it. Is this true, or did I get taken.

Gman992

vader121
03-25-2005, 08:40 AM
I hate to sat it but it is possible.

-is the bag worn? sort of clouded?
-what figure is it?
-what did you pay?
-if you examine the figure inside does it look mint? No paint rubs, dirt, etc.
-is it complete with weapon?

The Kenner bags that I have come across usually have something printed on them. Things like 'Hong Kong' and the Kenner stamp are usual. I myself would be leary of a bag without writing on it.

doo
05-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Some of the kenner bgas have no writing on the bags. I have a few and they are legit. By the way, can you email me vader121. doomancan@hotmail.com

Bossk77
05-18-2005, 02:43 AM
No offense but it sounds like a fake. As was previously said, i would need to see it or scans of it to pass a better judgement. Rule of thumb is to check out which figures were typically bagged. ie mail-in's or playset figures. Stansweet i believe put out a book with examples in it of bagged figures..... the refrence may help.

2-1B
05-18-2005, 02:49 AM
I only have one Bagged Figure (Pruneface) and it's got the Kenner logo on it.

vader121
05-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Actually I do have a Boba Fett in a bag with no writing on it and it looks legit to me but I could be wrong. To me he is and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D Will probably never get another one due to the $.

Andy_R
09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Just so everyone is clear on this ...
These plain/unmarked baggies are 100% legit.

They were first introduced in 1982 and were included in some ESB catalog multipacks. They were carried over into many ROTJ era multipacks as well.

Andy

Jayspawn
09-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Aaahhhh......

I actually own a bag containing the "Droids" C-3PO and R2. Both are the animated style figures and are together in a blank, heat sealed bag.

Andy_R
09-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Hmm...
The Droids figures were not issued in Kenner baggies.
I'd be curious to see what you have there.

Jayspawn
09-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Thats what I thought too Andy R. But the figures are in perfect condition too. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Andy_R
09-23-2005, 09:56 PM
That would be great.
Here is a sample of what these baggie types usually look like.
Most of them are very large with plenty of extra space inside the baggie.
Sometimes the weapon can be found taped to the figure itself or taped to the inside of the baggie.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/ackbar/ROTJ%20Baggies/HanTrench.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/ackbar/ROTJ%20Baggies/Paploo.jpg

JawaJoe
09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
The ones ive seen actually have "Kenner" stamped on the bag in a couple of places.

Jayspawn
09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Heres a picture of those Droids R2-D2 and C-3PO I have. The bag is sealed and unmarked. They are in perfect condition. Not a scratch or wear on them.

Andy_R
09-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the picture.

My guess is that it was not bagged by Kenner itself.
Rather, a retail store did this to save space and move old stock quickly.
Also could have been a dealer back in the early 90's when Droids figures were cold.

I have a large unmarked baggie with 5 or 6 figures in it. It was traced back to a store owner who admitted bagging the figures himself in order to sell in bulk.
The figures are uber common though- Madine, Ackbar, etc.
Droids R2/3PO is an interesting combo....

Also, Kenner never put two figures in one bag.

Interesting item nonetheless.

Jayspawn
09-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks Andy R. Its one of my favorite items. I bought it off a friend a few years back in a lot for $5.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks Andy R. Its one of my favorite items. I bought it off a friend a few years back in a lot for $5.Wow! :eek: Now, that's the great part. The figures themselves are obviously a steal for that price, regardless of the baggies. Congrats, Jayspawn!

Old Fossil
08-13-2007, 08:18 AM
I just bought a ROTJ Emperor in a sealed Kenner baggie for $10. Haven't purchased a bagged figure before... are these from the mail-in promotional offers?

JON9000
08-13-2007, 09:58 AM
The emperor was most likely a mail-away. He was offered on the 83 cards at some point before he got his own card. I sent away for him myself. However, at some point it is very likely he wound up in a multipack from Sears or JC Penny.

I think just about evey figure produced also came baggied, offered in mail-aways, multipacks, and vehicle/playset/storage case pack-ins. There are a few I've never seen from the last 17, like Stormie Luke

vader121
08-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Bagged Figures...

As far as I remember and know the following were available as mailaway premiums based on the pops from the cardbacks ...

Boba Fett
Bossk
Nien Numb
Emperor
4LOM
Anakin

If course the early bird kit had the original 12 (vinyl-cape Jawa too?)

The following playsets also included figures ...
-Cloud City playset had Han bespin, Dengar, Ugnaught, and Lobot
-Jabba Dungeon playset (ROTJ had Klaatu skiff, Nikto, & 8D8 and POTF version had Amanaman, EV9D9, and Barada)
-Darth Vader case had Luke Bespin, Vader, and Yoda.
-Also numerous vehicles and playsets came with packaged figures to spur sales such as the Xwing, Tie Fighter, and the minirigs

Several store chains offered bundles of figures boxed that came together such as JCPenney and Sears. JCPenney even had the makings of a very early army builder set with Vader, Tusken Raider, and 2 Stormtroopers. I remember I got a few of these one year for Xmas because even back then I was really into army builders.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty sure there's an older thread here someplace that has more info on bagged figs. Back in a bit! :shovel: :D

JON9000
08-13-2007, 03:23 PM
There is an outstanding article about baggied figures over at the Star Wars Collectors Archive- www.theswca.com

Old Fossil
08-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the link, Jon. Great article & it brought back some nice memories... I had forgotten about the Sears & Penney's catalog listings for figure sets.