PDA

View Full Version : Superbad

General_Grievous
08-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I was going to post this in the "What have you watched recently" thread, but this is too good to not have its own thread.

This movie is hilarious! You guys have got to check this one out. If you're a fan of stuff like "Freaks and Geeks", "The 40 Year Old Virgin", or "Knocked Up" like I am, you'll love "Superbad". Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are hilarious as the two main characters, Seth and Evan in their quest for booze and girls. Seth Rogen and Bill Hader are hilarious as two slacker cops. But the real big laughs of the movie come from Fogell, aka "McLovin". This movie is like a funnier, less cartoony version of "American Pie". Plus any movie that brings Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen together is awesome. Go see it now. You won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
I haven't had time to write a review, but this was a HYSTERICAL flick. It's incredibly raunchy, dirty, and silly, but dammit if i didn't laugh the whole time. Every decade there are a few great "teen adventure" films and this is the first one of the new millenium. I agree that McLovin' almost stole the show, but Hill and Cera were top notch. Cera has perfected the awkward guy role and I couldn't help but think of George Michae in "Arrested Development." There are also oodles cameos from "freaks & geeks" and "Undeclared." It's as good as "Knocked Up" but it has a lot of heart and humor. And every guy here can relate it to their high school years. It was a very funny flick! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
08-17-2007, 11:58 PM
I thought Superbad was great!
I get the feeling that it will be one of those movies that gets quoted all the time.

For example (the response to the un-quotable on SSG statement):
"Yeah, they told us that would happen in health class."

General_Grievous
08-18-2007, 01:41 AM

That was one of the best lines in the movie. :D

I also loved "The funny thing about my back is that it's located on my ----"

:D

darko666
08-18-2007, 04:44 PM
"The funny thing about my back is that it's located on my ----"

ha, one of the best quotes in the entire movie.

"McLovin!"

"Why!"

the cops w/McLovin was probably my fav side story in the movie. Bill Hader and Seth Rogen worked well together, and the ending with them was amazing. great movie, would def see it again.

2-1B
08-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I laughed through 85% of this movie, it CERTAINLY lived up to the hype.

Wow. lol lol lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I thought Superbad was great!

Oh man, I was almost in tears when he said that.

The flick made almost 32 mill this weekend and i'm very proud to have contributed to that. I cannot wait for the DVD which is BOUND to be unrated with more footage! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-19-2007, 05:08 PM
My sister and I saw it yesterday at my local theater, awesome crowd, hilarious film, not 1 thing from that movie can be quoted here on SSG and that's the way it should be! So sick of movies trying to shoehorn that type of comedy into PG-13.

The first 20 minutes or so was a little slow but the rest was solid (the cops were too broadly drawn, but had several payoffs that kept it from being a drag), I think the movie really found its pace right after Seth mentioned that 8% of kids do it, that sequence set a whole new tone. And it was awesome to see a movie about teens who aren't in their mid-20s.

General_Grievous
08-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I loved the end of the whole shoot-off scene. "OH SH--!!! THE COPS!!!" and McLovin saying "It's in! Oh my god! It's in!" before the cops barged in. :D

JimJamBonds
08-20-2007, 12:23 AM
And it was awesome to see a movie about teens who aren't in their mid-20s.

Well one out of two isn't bad.

General_Grievous
08-20-2007, 01:30 AM
And you've got to love the cameo from the floor waxing guy from "40 Year Old Virgin"

McLovin drops the six pack of beer.

Clerk: Did you do this, sir?
McLovin: No, and you should clean this up. It's dangerous. Someone could fall.
Clerk: F--- my life.

JediTricks
08-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Well one out of two isn't bad.2 out of 3 ain't bad - McLovin was 17 shooting this, Evan was 18, and Seth was 22-23 (which isn't "mid-20s" either) - but the point was more that they looked and acted like people the age they were supposed to be.

And you've got to love the cameo from the floor waxing guy from "40 Year Old Virgin"

McLovin drops the six pack of beer.

Clerk: Did you do this, sir?
McLovin: No, and you should clean this up. It's dangerous. Someone could fall.
Clerk: F--- my life.Heh heh, that was good, then he's taking advantage of the robbery, and then he shows up at the adult party with all that booze, loved that!

General_Grievous
08-20-2007, 05:48 PM
not 1 thing from that movie can be quoted here on SSG and that's the way it should be!

There was one funny thing that can be quoted word for word on here.

Becca: I so flirt with you in math class.
Evan: Samesies.

:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
I saw this on Saturday, and holy nuts, it's got to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Everything in it was awesome, plain and simple.

I heard after I saw it that Martin Starr (who played Bill Haverchuck on Freaks and Geeks) is in the room where Evan sings "These Eyes" but I couldn't tell. Which one was he?

General_Grievous
08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
I heard after I saw it that Martin Starr (who played Bill Haverchuck on Freaks and Geeks) is in the room where Evan sings "These Eyes" but I couldn't tell. Which one was he?

He was the one with the hat and beard. He didn't say anything, but he was humming along while Evan was singing. I wouldn't have recognized him if he didn't look exactly the same as he did in "Knocked Up".

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-20-2007, 10:20 PM
He was the one with the hat and beard. He didn't say anything, but he was humming along while Evan was singing. I wouldn't have recognized him if he didn't look exactly the same as he did in "Knocked Up".

I dunno about that, he looked pretty much exactly the way he did with in KU cos he still had that mondo beard! hehehehe :beard:

General_Grievous
08-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I dunno about that, he looked pretty much exactly the way he did with in KU cos he still had that mondo beard! hehehehe :beard:

That's what I said. The only reason I recognized him in "Superbad" was because of his beard from "Knocked Up".

2-1B
08-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Anybody else recognize Judd Apatow in the party scene ? He was Carlo Gallo's fiance - you know...the bloody girl from 40 Year Old Virgin and now Superbad (plus she was smokin on Carnivale).

General_Grievous
08-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Anybody else recognize Judd Apatow in the party scene ? He was Carlo Gallo's fiance - you know...the bloody girl from 40 Year Old Virgin and now Superbad (plus she was smokin on Carnivale).

I thought her fiance was played by the dude from "The Departed" and "Grounded for Life"?

2-1B
08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I thought it looked just like Apatow...perhaps I am in error.

Lord Malakite
08-24-2007, 04:31 AM
I haven't had time to write a review, but this was a HYSTERICAL flick. It's incredibly raunchy, dirty, and silly, but dammit if i didn't laugh the whole time. Every decade there are a few great "teen adventure" films and this is the first one of the new millenium. I agree that McLovin' almost stole the show, but Hill and Cera were top notch. Cera has perfected the awkward guy role and I couldn't help but think of George Michae in "Arrested Development." There are also oodles cameos from "freaks & geeks" and "Undeclared." It's as good as "Knocked Up" but it has a lot of heart and humor. And every guy here can relate it to their high school years. It was a very funny flick! :thumbsup:

I haven't seen the movie yet (just commercials and talk show interviews), but I swear to God that Josiah Hill (aka the Seth character) looks, sounds, and even acts sort of like you Guyute. It like you're twins seperated at birth.

JimJamBonds
08-27-2007, 11:31 PM
I finally saw Superbad today and I thought it was solid. Not as good as 40 Year Old or Knocked Up but a enjoyable movie non the less.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-27-2007, 11:48 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet (just commercials and talk show interviews), but I swear to God that Josiah Hill (aka the Seth character) looks, sounds, and even acts sort of like you Guyute. It like you're twins seperated at birth.

lol That's happened a lot since the movie came out. Since Seth Rogen was in "Freaks & Geeks" and "Undeclared," I got LOTS of comparisons to him and especially with him being slightly bearded funny wise a-- in "40 Year Old Virgin," it grew much more. Now, yes, it's comparison that Jonah Hill looks like me in high school, complete with the mini fro. lol I won't comment on it though. :thumbsup:

Tycho
09-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Geeze this movie starred characters that reminded me of some forumites here!

It's a vulgar, stupid movie that's just about the perfect entertainment for someone like me (but I didn't rate it better than Transformers or even 3:10 to Yuma).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Merged Tycho's review with the rest of ours. :thumbsup:

Tycho
09-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks. I did look for a thread about this movie and somehow I missed it!

I'm about to start reading everyone else's reviews.

EDIT: this is one of the first comedy movies I'd go to see AGAIN in the theaters and I'd laugh at most of the jokes a 2nd time. What a crazy movie!

JimJamBonds
09-30-2007, 10:49 PM
EDIT: this is one of the first comedy movies I'd go to see AGAIN in the theaters and I'd laugh at most of the jokes a 2nd time. What a crazy movie!

Better hurry up and see it now while its still in theaters.

2-1B
09-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Or don't see Transformers so often...mix it up a bit.

JimJamBonds
09-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Or don't see Transformers so often...mix it up a bit.

Variety is the spice of life!

JetsAndHeels
09-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I thought this movie was about the NY Jets so far this season...oops.

JimJamBonds
10-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I thought this movie was about the NY Jets so far this season...oops.

The Bears and Chargers as well.

General_Grievous
10-01-2007, 10:40 AM
And the Rams. And the Saints.

El Chuxter
10-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I wonder at what point Michael Jackson decided to stop making good music and start fooling around with little boys.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Stay on topic, fellas. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2007, 06:18 PM
My sister got the Unrated DVD for Christmas, but I only noticed, I think, two changes: Jules talking with Seth about her brother in home ec, and Seth talking with Evan on the soccer field about Jules talking with Seth about her brother in home ec. :D Nothing special really. I think there may have been another slightly extended scene, but I expected more (at least they didn't screw it up).

Slicker
12-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Still a great movie. I laugh at it's stupidity every time I watch it.

I've found myself using the term "warlocks" a bit more too.

BanthaPoodoo
01-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Watched the Unrated Edition New Years Eve & what I thought had to be the funniest part of the movie was when he was talking about what he used to draw non stop. That was just totally insane but hilarious at the same time.

Then the credits roll & you see this great artwork but its just so wrong because of whats in it!!! HA HA HA!!!

Also that cop leaning over & saying, "Thats a fast kid" LOL!

Simply a great movie. Raunchy yes, but funny as %^$&!!!!

Slicker
01-02-2008, 09:41 PM
The penis drawings had me ROLLING!!! They were just so imaginitive!

2-1B
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Watching it again right now..."These eyes, these eyes are crying"

UKWildcat
01-04-2008, 12:34 AM
The penis drawings had me ROLLING!!! They were just so imaginitive!

Especially his big veiny masterpiece. lol

Outstanding comedy. Just awesome. One of my favorites... The cops (Hader and Rogan) totally complete the movie too.

Can't wait to watch it again, may even put it on here in a bit.

darthvyn
01-04-2008, 01:21 PM
MCLOVIN!!!

the whole sub-plot with the cops and mclovin was the best part of the movie.

seth rogan is a freakin' genius.

Slicker
01-30-2008, 07:20 AM
I just watched this again last night and was still rollin' at almost everything.

There are just so many quotable parts from this movie. It's definitely going up there with Napoleon Dynamite and Grandma's Boy for me.

Also, for some reason, Seth Rogen just looks like he'd be one bad *** cop. The part where he has the cigarette dangling from his mouth when he's shooting clearly illustrates this point.

It's Octupenis!!!!

UKWildcat
02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Just picked up the Superbad Blu-ray disc the other day. Its a 2-discer and all of the special features and extras of the SD 2-disc cut were ported over, so I'm stoked about that. Too bad I don't have a way of playing it yet (still don't have a PS3). I'm really wanting to check out this movie again, especially in High Def, along with the extras.