PDA

View Full Version : Rollerball

stillakid
02-08-2002, 05:46 PM
SEE IT!

If you're into high adrenaline filmmaking, run, don't walk to see Rollerball. It's quick, tells its story, tells it well, and gets out. No lingering on extraneous backstory or exposition. The "corporate" message from the original is solidly packed into a screamin' 90 minutes.

Any holes? Who the hell knows? There isn't time to consider any before you're swept off into the next sequence. Big movie. Damn, McTiernan is good.

stillakid
02-08-2002, 05:47 PM
...if only they'd have shot it here in the states instead of Canada. Damn NAFTA.

master jedi
02-08-2002, 09:59 PM
I'd go see but it doesn't look good to me and it's getting bad reviews. I might rent it when it comes to DVD though.

derek
02-08-2002, 11:09 PM
i won't go see any movie that is based on a 70's roller skating fighting game starring ladies love cool james.:cool:

stillakid
02-08-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
I'd go see but it doesn't look good to me and it's getting bad reviews. I might rent it when it comes to DVD though.

The bad reviews that I've seen so far are based on the AICN review from eons ago. The movie has been recut and redone since then. Hit a matinee. I look forward to the DVD too. Cut scenes didn't seem to impact the film negatively but I'd like to see them, not to mention the full frontal of Rebecca.

2-1B
02-09-2002, 02:33 AM
Stillakid, I plan to see this within the coming week, but can you tell me if you noticed the singer Pink in the film ? :)

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 02:43 AM
I saw a bad review of this just this morning on the local Fox news who saw the movie at the press showings earlier in the week. One of the folks who saw it called it "the worst movie ever" - ouch.

Obi-Don
02-09-2002, 03:36 AM
I haven't seen it yet and most likely wait until it comes out on DVD. I hope its good because I like the 1st one even if it is a old one.

stillakid
02-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Stillakid, I plan to see this within the coming week, but can you tell me if you noticed the singer Pink in the film ? :)

I honestly don't know Pink from the next guy (gal), but they did "feature" a hot singer a few times who I suspect was Pink. So I'll go out on a limb and say yes.

JT, I know a bunch of those reviewers and they typically have a kind of pack mentality, especially when it comes to a movie like this. They are all invited to a pre-screening, usually, together. With the AICN bad press that began a long time ago, I think that the general attitude is that it is "uncool" to like this movie. People are afraid to take a stand and like a film that "everybody else" doesn't. Very high school. Anyway, the plot was simple but well laid out in context of a high energy action film. If they don't like cut and dried plots, that's one thing. But I'm able to enjoy a film like MEMENTO and still find joy in a roller-coaster like ROLLERBALL. I liked SPEED for cryin out loud. Talk about a plot that looks like swiss cheese, but it had enough going for it that I was able to ignore the parts that weren't great. ROLLERBALL is like SPEED, but without Keanu, without the plot holes (as far as I can tell without seeing it again), and much much much faster.

No, it isn't like the original, but if that's what people want to see then there's probably a Blockbuster down the street. This is an adapted take on an old concept with the same title.

And, hey, it's only like $5 bucks if you hit an afternoon screening. :D

stillakid
02-09-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I saw a bad review of this just this morning on the local Fox news who saw the movie at the press showings earlier in the week. One of the folks who saw it called it "the worst movie ever" - ouch.

Who was that, by that way? He(she) must have never seen Showgirls, or Metalstorm, or ...(should I go on?);)

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Ugh, you don't think I remember these names do you? ;) And they're ALWAYS mentioning Showgirls on that show, so they've seen it. They rarely mention Speed 2 though...

BTW, Roger Ebert gave it half a star! http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-roller08f.html

stillakid
02-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Ok, yeah, the chinstrap thing :rolleyes: but, like I said, I don't think he wanted to like it. He mentions that line "Play well tonite," by Reno. That has EVERYTHING to do with the plot. I suspect that by that point in the movie, Ebert had shut down and wasn't paying much attention to anything beyond his popcorn.

I go to the movies to be entertained. It's nice to think once in a while, but mostly I just like to have a good time. Rollerball manages to deliver. But then again, what do I know?:D

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
...But then again, what do I know?:D That depends on your assesment of "Speed 2: Cruise Control". It's easy to badmouth "Batman & Robin", but what do you have to say about Speed 2? ;)

stillakid
02-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
That depends on your assesment of "Speed 2: Cruise Control". It's easy to badmouth "Batman & Robin", but what do you have to say about Speed 2? ;)

First I'll say that I never walk out of a movie. If I'm going to critique something later on, I feel it's my duty to see it through to the bitter end. Batman and Robin was a real test of my convictions, but dammit, I made it to the credits. Plus Alicia is a hotty, but if it wasn't for her, who knows.

I didn't see Speed 2, I'm not sorry to say. While indeed I have no basis for critique of it, my impression from an outsider point of view is that it probably wasn't very good. I base that on the ridiculous premise that puts good girl, Sandra Bullock, in another precarious situation. It's one thing for a guy like James Bond to face danger from one film to the next, because he goes looking for it. But placing the girl next door in peril again was such an obvious attempt to make something up for the sake of a sequel that I opted to pass. Some sequels work well, like ALIENS, but that only did because it "continued" the story that had been set up. As far as I can tell the only continuity in Speed 2 was Sandy. Silly.

PS. The original Rollerball is on tv right now, actually, and I did a double take when I saw MOTTI in a couple of scenes. Small world.

Rollo Tomassi
02-10-2002, 12:13 PM
SO, is somebody's movie critiquing credibility shot when the don't like Lord of the Rings and absolutely love Rollerball?;)

Stab the eyes of whoever keeps bringing up Batman and Robin and Speed 2.:mad: Do I keep reminding you of the time you stuck a BB rifle up your nose and pulled the trigger? Hmmmm? (Which is more painful? BB up the nostril or Speed 2/B&R marathon in Pan & Scan....)

I went in and watched about ten minutes of Rollerball and gagged on the obtuse "hammer it over the audiences head" plot point that corporate greed is evil. I like my film making more sublte and nuanced, thanks. And Chris Klein has about as much acting talent as a cardboard toilet paper tube. The original Rollerballwas original when it came up with the idea 30 years ago. The idea of trying to turn this into a "hot issue" in today's society is about as original as bringing back pet rocks.

Rollerball's only redeeming value was the trailer for Showtime! with DeNiro, Eddie Murphy, Rene Russo, and William Shatner. "Good one, T.J." THAT looks funny!

stillakid
02-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
SO, is somebody's movie critiquing credibility shot when the don't like Lord of the Rings and absolutely love Rollerball?;)

I hope not!?! Credibility isn't (or shouldn't) be based on "what" a person likes, rather in how fairly it is judged. For instance, if I just went off half-cocked on, say, Britney Spears's new movie before I had even seen it, just because it's obviously a gimmick to get her fans into the theater, that would be disingenuous and call into question credibility. Comparing my (or anyone's for that matter) "critique" of LOTR with Rollerball is like comparing apples to oranges. I like Filet Mignion (sp?), but can't I enjoy a Big Mac just as well?

LOTR set out to translate a popular series of books (which I haven't read) into a motion-picture, which it did. Without the underlying layer of knowledge, which so many fans had before the film, I found several "problems" with the movie itself that hindered my ability to enjoy the story fully. Relative to DUNE (which I have read), I found the Lynch film to be a terrible translation whereas many people who didn't read the book had no problems with it.

Rollerball won't be up for any Oscars, but it didn't set out to be either. It accomplished it's goal (as far as I know) of being a fun movie (for me).

I appreciate subtlety as much as anyone. In fact, I've been a huge advocate of it for the Star Wars saga as I found TPM to be so heavy-handed that I was almost certain that it was directed by the likes of Joel Schumaker.

Everything is relative. If you go into a movie like Rollerball or Speed looking for carefully crafted and interwoven threads of plot, like maybe you saw in The English Patient, you're going to hate it. If you go into a movie expecting no more than what it is designed to deliver, you can let go and enjoy what it has to offer. That was the problem with TPM all along. By bearing the Star Wars label, it had the responsibility (and our expectations) to live up to it's predecessors, but it didn't.

It's all about context.

Rollo Tomassi
02-11-2002, 09:51 AM
So your rationale is you thought Rollerball was going to be campy, kitschy fun and that's what you got so therefore it's a good movie?

Isn't that like sticking your hand under a dog's butt and expecting it to crap in your hand. Since you "expected" it, you can judge it fairly. But that doesn't mean it isn't doggie poo in your hand.

I have seen what McTiernan can do. Hunt for Red October. Die Hard. Rollerball isn't even close to what the man's capable of.

And comparing two films is like comparing apples and apples. They are both films. If you wanted to compare a painting or a ballet to Rollerball, THAT would be apples and oranges. But Rollerball and LOTR are the same medium.

I don't go into movies expecting intricate, nuanced performances, but I believe the filmmakers should strive for that kind of perfection in their writing/directing/performance. If they have a "Well, it's only Rollerball" attitude going into production, then you and I: the audience, is getting shifted out of what the filmmakers are capable of.

But I digress. At least I agree with you on the "spoiler in the toy section" argument.
:)

Peace.

stillakid
02-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Isn't that like sticking your hand under a dog's butt and expecting it to crap in your hand. Since you "expected" it, you can judge it fairly. But that doesn't mean it isn't doggie poo in your hand.

Your analogy works actually up until the period after the word "fairly". But because of the "imagery" you used in the analogy itself, transposing it upon the analogy isn't fair use. "Poo" is an element of the analogy, not a result of it. :)

Hmm, yet perhaps I'm overthinking the whole thing, as usual. Maybe some things can not be explained with rational thought. I had a lot of fun watching Rollerball. Why? Don't really know. Yeah, the message is obvious, the holes are numerous, and the story is simple. But I still had a lot of fun. Same goes for Speed, Independence Day, Charlie's Angels, and a few more that I can't think of right now.

I, personally, go to the movies to be "moved" in some way. If it can make me cry, great. If it can make me laugh, great. If it can make me get excited, great. That's what the movie-going experience is for me..."feeling" something.

A bad movie for me is one where I am lulled into a state of observation of the flickering images upon the screen...unmoved. If I have time to start wondering who somebody was, or why they did something, or why didn't they do something, then the film is going down the wrong path.

Rollo Tomassi
02-11-2002, 06:13 PM
A bad movie for me is one where I am lulled into a state of observation of the flickering images upon the screen...unmoved. If I have time to start wondering who somebody was, or why they did something, or why didn't they do something, then the film is going down the wrong path.

Yeah. I'll go with that. Some movies just push some peoples buttons. Look at all the Adam Sandler and Martin Lawrence fans. Not for me though. And neither was Rollerball. oh well.

stillakid
02-11-2002, 11:38 PM
I'm that way with Jim Carrey movies. He was funny on Living Color, but I never could get Ace Ventura.

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 04:24 PM
This movie looks horrible. I refuse to go see it. Sometimes remakes should never have been remade. It was supposed to come out Summer 2001 and got pushed back. It would have totally flopped during the summer, and since it isn't doin too well right now, perhaps they sensed this.

mabudonicus
02-16-2002, 07:29 PM
I gotta agree with sithdroid, and must disagree with you, stillakid. Sure, you're right about TPM, who would argue.......? But you have to admit that most films, these days, are easy to peg after having seen the trailer. Hollywood is so predictable, most trailers give you more of the film than anyone would ever need. Take "I am Sam" frinstance. The trailer alone made me want to die right in the theatre. Such ridiculous bathos; so many scenes seemingly balanced on a single stereotypical quirk or attitude; the whole project seemed as if it had been calculated down to the last heartwarming amp (or whatever unit hollywood measures heartwarming-ness in these days). The entertainment industry,overall, has been degraded to a point where, IMHO, 95% of all mainstream film reviews should contain the words "trite", "insulting" or "obligatory", and it shows even in the commercials. I won't be seeing rollerball. I saw "collateral damage" on saturday though, and boy, what a film!(if somebody starts a thread, I'll respond hah hah hah hah)

stillakid
02-16-2002, 10:08 PM
I'll agree with you on the trailers. I am rarely surprised by anything that I see in the theater. The trailers are usually so "well done," meaning they tell me what the movie is going to be like, that I know what to expect, good or bad.

With Rollerball, we had all been primed for a less than perfect film, so I went in expecting such. I primed myself for holes, allowed them to "pass through me," and allowed myself to enjoy everything else it had to offer. I went in looking to have a good time and wasn't disappointed. Sometimes you just have to "let go," and enjoy the moment.

I wanted to add Charlie's Angels to that list above of silly popcorn movies that I enjoy as well as Independence Day, Speed, and others of that ilk.

derek
02-16-2002, 10:21 PM
if as many people went to see rollerball as have responded to this thread, it would beat harry potter!:D

you know what film really sucked? "Captain Corelli's Mandolin".
it took me three days, but i finaly watched the whole thing. and rollo, thanks for calling penelope cruz a "horse face".:cry: i think she's hot, but everytime i saw her, i thought "horseface". thanks rollo:crazed: YOU BLEW IT FOR ME!(read in your best de nero voice):happy:

SithDroid
02-17-2002, 01:59 AM
She does kinda have one. Thanks Rollo. I always thought she looked weird too. Now I know why.

Rollo Tomassi
02-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Just trying to spread the word and debunk the myth that she's hot.

Seriously, when she comes on screen, my reaction is "GAAH!:eek: "

Captain Correli surely did eat.

Trailers give away the whole movie usually. I've figured out the plot to What Lies Beneath, and more recently John Q and Hart's War based on their trailers.

Either that or the trailer is so antithetical to the film that it makes the film suck (Angel Eyes and Random Hearts).

SithDroid
02-17-2002, 12:45 PM
Random Hearts. Ah, a movie not worth remembering. I saw that in the theatres and boy did I want to walk out. Talk about boring and lame.

THE Slayer
02-17-2002, 02:02 PM
I never saw Random hearts, but I did see rollerball. This movie was bad. Not terrible, not horrifying, just bad. It did absolutely nothing for me. I like the night vision shots for about two minutes then it just became annoying. The film was bad, and the end was horrible.

2-1B
02-24-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by derek
rollo, thanks for calling penelope cruz a "horse face".:cry: i think she's hot, but everytime i saw her, i thought "horseface". thanks rollo:crazed: YOU BLEW IT FOR ME!(read in your best de nero voice):happy:

I have had similar experiences. I've never been haunted by the Nat Portman potato slur, but for me that term, "horseface", ALWAYS precedes Penelope Cruz in print. It's a shame because I think she's beautiful! I liked her in Vanilla Sky.

And Jason Lee :D

JediTricks
02-24-2002, 10:04 AM
I totally don't see the appeal Ms. Cruz has been recently gaining in the public eye.

DarthQuack
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
The show on TNN was awesome, I wish they'd bring that back.