PDA

View Full Version : When do you tell ppl that your wife is expecting

Val Da Car
08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Do you wait until the first Trimester is over?
Do you mention it beforehand?
Does it matter if you wife if over or under 35 (aka "Higher risk pregancy)?
Do you name the boy Anakin/Luke/George or the girl Leia or Padme?

JetsAndHeels
08-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I usually wait until we know who the father is.

Kidhuman
08-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Wait until after the baby is born and then surprise everyone. Walk in with a baby and say, hey its your grandchild.

Seriously, its all up to the indivisula upon when they will tell. Some people wait a few weeks, months, some people await doctor confirmation.

stillakid
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
When she starts to look fat and you don't want strangers to think you married one of "those."

El Chuxter
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Call me nuts, but I think you just did.

Val Da Car
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Call me nuts, but I think you just did.

You got me on that one.

Mrs. VDC is at the Dr for the "test" but I am sure it's all good.

I am more that surprised since we were told that it would not happen.

Of course being married for almost 15 yrs I was getting settled into my ways but now I must adapt.

:thumbsup:

pbarnard
08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
sometime after 8 weeks. The spontaneous abort rate is unbelievable until after 8 weeks.

If you've been getting fertility treatments and have been telling people, than you've already let the cat out of the bag of the plans, but be forewarned that all these treatments have a low success rate in the low teens for a "medical" procedure.

You may end up having to tell the people you're buying the crib, diapers and clothes for that you're not pervs and expecting a baby though. That maybe the absolute minimum you have to tell.

Val Da Car
08-27-2007, 03:06 PM
sometime after 8 weeks. The spontaneous abort rate is unbelievable until after 8 weeks.

If you've been getting fertility treatments and have been telling people, than you've already let the cat out of the bag of the plans, but be forewarned that all these treatments have a low success rate in the low teens for a "medical" procedure.

You may end up having to tell the people you're buying the crib, diapers and clothes for that you're not pervs and expecting a baby though. That maybe the absolute minimum you have to tell.

In our case my wife has Celiac and it was misdiagnosed for years (like 30) and after the shellfish allergy over the past few years we were more aware of any setbacks to her health (like the idiot brother serving shrimp at a family gathering..."oops") and it's impact to her.

We did not actually plan anything or use any fertility drugs or anything related to that.

We actually have not told any family members just yet, I was figuring on waiting until the first trimester is over.

2-1B
08-27-2007, 06:58 PM
congrats VDC and good luck !

I would wait until after the first trimester, I'm sure all of your family and friends will be super excited for you and you wouldn't want your wife to feel stressed out over all the well wishing while the pregnancy is still so new.

You should wait at least 2 months like Barnard Gumble said earlier.

LusiferSam
08-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Don't tell your parents, tell your parents friends. Then they will tell your parents. When they ask why you didn't tell them, accuse them of not asking you and your wife.

Old Fossil
08-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Congratulations Val Da Car!!!

My wife and I couldn't wait and told pretty much everybody after we were sure she was pregnant. It was really fun, sitting at dinner with my parents or my brother or her folks, and in the middle of a conversation about movies or the food or whatever, just waiting for that perfect moment to insert, "Adrienne's pregnant," matter-of-factly. I'll never forget the look on my dad's face.:shocked:

2-1B
08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Did you say "Yo Adrienne, we did it" when she had the baby ? :)

Val Da Car
08-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Dang you guys are frickin funny!!!!:grin:

Yea, I think she is about 4 to 6 weeks along but only about 4 ppl know (outside of you guys here and anyone else reading this on the Internet!!). We are holding off on making an annoucement until a large family event (maybe Thanksgiving or Holiday cookie baking with her 5 Aunts with the Packer game on).

2-1B
08-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanksgiving would be a great time to make an announcement...but might she be showing by then already ? That could give away the surprise you have in store for them.

Val Da Car
08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Or the "Has anyone seen the Turkey?" jokes...:whip:

InsaneJediGirl
08-28-2007, 12:04 AM
I usually wait until we know who the father is.

That reminds me, you owe back child support. I'll see you on Maury, he looks just like you, dont deny it :yes:

Congrats VDC :)

JetsAndHeels
08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
That reminds me, you owe back child support. I'll see you on Maury, he looks just like you, dont deny it :yes:

$hit.

Time to leave the state.

Dar' Argol
08-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Congrats Val Da Car!!! Another member for the Rebellion!!! Mrs Argol and I heard our Padawan's heartbeat for the first time 2 weeks ago . . . I can't wait!

This your first spawn then Val Da Car??? I swore they weren't gonna let me do this again but . . . lol

TeeEye7
08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Just be prepared for how fast all this baby stuff goes. Mine just started college this week. Yikes! :shocked:

Val Da Car
08-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Congrats Val Da Car!!! Another member for the Rebellion!!! Mrs Argol and I heard our Padawan's heartbeat for the first time 2 weeks ago . . . I can't wait!

This your first spawn then Val Da Car??? I swore they weren't gonna let me do this again but . . . lol

Yea, First for both of us. Mrs. VDC felt the heartbeat early last week.

mtriv73
08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Congrats!

Our firstborn is 13 days old today. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. We didn't even know my wife was pregnant until she was 7 weeks out (early dec) so we waited until christmas to tell the family (we gave them framed pictures of the 1st sonogram.) Enjoy the next few months because life gets a lot louder after they come out.

vader68
08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I would wait until the 3rd month, just to make sure. My wife had a miscarriage after our first child. We had already told the family(we had only waited about 6-8 weeks to tell), so it was really hard on her when we had to tell everyone that we lost it. But then we had a set of twins a year later so it made up for it. But congrats and good luck.