PDA

View Full Version : GBA price drop

Lord Malakite
02-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Nintendo has dropped the price on the Game Boy Advance from $99.99 to $79.99. Good news for anyone who has been holding out.

JetsAndHeels
02-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Got mine for $69.99 at Target.
Also got Jedi Power Battles for $19.99 at KB Toys.
A system and a game all for under $100.00 is an awesome deal!!

QLD
02-13-2002, 10:57 PM
They would have to pay me 19.99 to take Jedi Power Battles.
I liked the GBA, but the screen sucks.

JediTricks
02-15-2002, 02:06 AM
JF96, how is JPB for the GBA? I've been wondering for quite a while.

JetsAndHeels
02-15-2002, 08:45 AM
I love it JediTricks. It follows the same format as the one for Playstation and Dreamcast. You go through all the same levels-The Trade Federation Ship, Naboo, Coruscant, Gungan ruins, etc.
It also seems a little easier than the ones on the other consoles, in that your opponents are easier to kill and the levels arent so darn long and drawn out as the other versions were.
It is a great game!!

JediTricks
02-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Thanks! :)

Boba Rhett
02-16-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I liked the GBA, but the screen sucks.

Read THIS (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30856) for a solution to the major blunder tha Nintendo made when they didn't include a backlighting option. :)

Lord Malakite
02-17-2002, 05:48 PM
It wasn't really major blunder that Nintendo didn't include backlighting. They did it to keep the cost down. By adding backlighting it would of increased the cost and size of the Game Boy Advance. On top of that, it would of drained the batteries in about half the time. Something Nintendo wasn't ready to hassle with again.
For an example of what I'm talking about, take a look at the Game Boy Light. This system was Nintendo's first and only backlit Game Boy to date. It came out right after the Game Boy Pocket and just before Game Boy Color in Japan only. It looked like a Game Boy Pocket, but had almost the same thickness as the Original Game Boy. The problem with this system was (A) it was monochrome like the original and pocket version (B) its larger size than the pocket and color version (C) it was saling for about the same price as its color counterpart and (D) it drains two AA batteries with the lights on in about 12 hours. One of the benefits of this system though, unlike some other backlit hand helds, was that the lights could be toggled on and off to save power.

http://www.gbstation.com/hardware/gblight.html

Admiral LSD
02-27-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
It wasn't really major blunder that Nintendo didn't include backlighting. They did it to keep the cost down. By adding backlighting it would of increased the cost and size of the Game Boy Advance. On top of that, it would of drained the batteries in about half the time.

That isn't, and never will be, a valid excuse for what is essentially poor design on Nintendos part. The whole point in upgrading a product is to correct flaws that were in the previous model not to repeat the mistakes of the past over and over again. Now, the lack of a backlit screen was a serious flaw in the GBC and for Nintendo to not correct it in the GBA implies that Nintendos engineers, like everyone else involved with the company, are a bunch of crackheads. Non-backlit colour LCD screens are completely and utterly useless. They should have addressed the screen problems first, attended to everything else second.

Wolfwood319
02-27-2002, 02:54 AM
I don't think Nintendo ever intended for it to be backlit. I really don't think it came up as a serious issue either. I love the GBA, and it really is a great handheld.

The system is upgraded in every way from the GBC, and the GBC not being backlit wasn't a flaw, either. I never had a problem with it, and neither did anyone else I know who had it.

I don't have a problem with it. I got one of those snake-lites for $5 at Wal-Mart, and it works great. Of course I don't really need to use it that often, because I play in well lit areas. When I play at work, I turn on a light. When I play at home, I turn on a light.

Now, I can't speak for those of you who live in a dark room, never seeing the light of day, or having contact with any other being on this planet, who would in fact need a backlit screen to be able to see the GBA's screen.

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 03:36 AM
The GBA just seems like a shrunken GBC... I was thinking about getting a $50 Dreamcast, any reason I should get a GBA instead?

Admiral LSD
02-27-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I don't have a problem with it. I got one of those snake-lites for $5 at Wal-Mart, and it works great. Of course I don't really need to use it that often, because I play in well lit areas. When I play at work, I turn on a light. When I play at home, I turn on a light.

Now, I can't speak for those of you who live in a dark room, never seeing the light of day, or having contact with any other being on this planet, who would in fact need a backlit screen to be able to see the GBA's screen.

Funny you should mention that because directly above my head sit a pair of 36W flourescent tubes. They provide me with more light than I really need. "Well-Lit" hardly describes this room. Yet it's still difficult to get an adequate viewing position for my GBC. The GBAs screen should have been backlit and Nintendo are retards for not doing it.