PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Hockey 2007

CaptainSolo1138
08-28-2007, 12:00 PM
In an effort to beat KH to it, here's the thread dedicated to this year's Yahoo! leagues. I'm all but certain that KH is leading the merry band of retards here and, like last year, I'll be hosting a second league (an "SSG 2", if you will) for those of you that are interested.

PM KH with the necessary info if you're interested in joining. If you're interested in the "B" league, please PM me and I will send you the league ID and password.

Thanks, and good luck!

Kidhuman
08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I say do one league for now, if another is needed we can start a second one. I have ALOT of football stuff going on this year, like 7 different leagues, so I am trying to cut down a bit, but hockey is daily so I will do this one. If needed, will also do a second one. Cappy, you know my email addy kh(spelled out)@gmail.com. Send away the invites.

jjreason
08-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I may or may not have heard from a reliable or unreliable source that KH likes to play fantasy pocket pool while he daydreams about Rogue II.

Kidhuman
08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
And you ask wheres the love after a comment like that, it should be obvious. :D

CaptainSolo1138
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Since I've already got the league created I'll just assume the reigns. Here ya go:

League ID= 7351
Password= domi

Giddyup, ladies. Draft is set for Friday 8/21 at 10:00pm EST. Please let me know if that needs to be modified.

DarthQuack
08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Count me in.

Rogue II
08-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm there.

Rocketboy
08-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Giddyup, ladies. Draft is set for Friday 8/21 at 10:00pm EST. Please let me know if that needs to be modified.You could modify that bu putting in the correct month...unless I can borrow you Delorean.

CaptainSolo1138
08-28-2007, 10:48 PM
You could modify that bu putting in the correct month...unless I can borrow you Delorean.Eat it, Richards.

Draft is 9/21 at 10:00pm EST.

Also, KH, who has reserved spots in the SSG league besides LBC? I don't want to leave anyone out, especially those who've been playing longer than even I have.

Rocketboy
08-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Eat it, Richards.

Draft is 9/21 at 10:00pm EST.

Also, KH, who has reserved spots in the SSG league besides LBC? I don't want to leave anyone out, especially those who've been playing longer than even I have."I'm with you too."

And Doc Brown had the time machine, not Reed Richards.

CaptainSolo1138
08-28-2007, 11:06 PM
And Doc Brown had the time machine, not Reed Richards.You act as though you're worthy of Christopher Lloyd.

Rocketboy
08-28-2007, 11:42 PM
You act as though you're worthy of Christopher Lloyd.I'm not, but someone had to correct your disturbing flub in pop culture.

Kidhuman
08-28-2007, 11:51 PM
I will register tomorrow morning, too tired right now.

LBC and his bro usually join up. Thats about it. Pegger also

CaptainSolo1138
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
I will register tomorrow morning, too tired right now.

LBC and his bro usually join up. Thats about it. Pegger alsoThanks, KH. I just don't want to step on any toes.

jjreason
08-29-2007, 08:57 AM
JJ's back in the Hunt for the Cup (which is much classier than the _unt for the Hup, as far as JT and the other mods are concerned).

CaptainSolo1138
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Bump.

LBC (and brother of LBC) and pegger: PMs sent.

Rocketboy
09-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I thought it went without saying, but I'm in for both leagues.

Kidhuman
09-01-2007, 08:00 AM
The Empire on Ice is in the league

CaptainSolo1138
09-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I thought it went without saying, but I'm in for both leagues.I think we're just doing one for now. Unless there's enough interest for two leagues? I'd love to and RB is down. Anyone else?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Even though I would much prefer a Yahoo Fantasy Professional Figure Skating League, this is the next best thing.

pegger
09-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Finally got off my sorry butt and joined...Thanks for the heads up!

CaptainSolo1138
09-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Even though I would much prefer a Yahoo Fantasy Professional Figure Skating League, this is the next best thing.
I had the petition going around last year to add that to the winter fantasy lineup but no one signed it. It's a little late for complaints now, mister.:mad:

Rocketboy
09-02-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm all joined up and ready for another year of mediocrity!

CaptainSolo1138
09-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Bump

Eight spots full, four to go.

And don't forget to draft Mark Bell.:thumbsup:

DarthQuack
09-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Let's go crotch-stains, sign up, it'll be fun, and I have no idea what I'm doing in the league!

Kidhuman
09-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Draft Friday night,

Cappy, I deleted the info you sent me for pappy's league. Please send again

Rogue II
09-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Is anyone else in the draft? It's 6 minutes until the draft and I'm the only one in the room.

CaptainSolo1138
09-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm there and "Slicker" is there.

CaptainSolo1138
09-21-2007, 11:08 PM
My squad:

C Vincent Lecavalier
C Henrik Sedin
LW Brendan Shanahan
LW Jason Blake
RW Martin St. Louis
RW Shane Doan
D Sheldon Souray
D Brian Rafalski

C Martin Straka
C Anze Kopitar
RW Alexei Kovalev
RW Michel Ouellet
LW Tomas Holmstrom

G Ray Emery
G Kari Lehtonen
G Johan Holmqvist

I'm fairly happy with my picks. I was super stoked about getting Lecavalier/St. Louis 1/2. I'm betting Tampa Bay will have a decent year, hence their frequency in my lineup (those two, Oullet and Holmqvist [if he is indeed the starter]). I also suspect Anze Kopitar will have another decent year in LA. But that's just a hunch.

jjreason
09-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Dammit, I wish I'd gotten there sooner. It was great to "see" Slicker, even only if it was long enough to toss 2 insults and run. Damn, I miss that kid..... :cry:

CaptainSolo1138
09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Oh, snap. Sorry, jj, but that was me drafting for him. I guess I should've said something. My bad.

But why else would "Nick" have been so excited about the other team's picks?!:p

Rogue II
09-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Paul Stastny C
Michael Nylander C
Nicklas Backstrom C
Mikko Koivu C

Marian Hossa RW
Corey Perry RW
J.P. Dumont RW
Drew Stafford RW

Ryan Smyth LW
Zach Parise LW

Nicklas Lidstrom D
Chris Pronger D
Tomas Kaberle D

Miikka Kiprusoff G
Cam Ward G
Chris Mason G

I'm definatly happy with my defencemen as I have TSN's #1, #2, and #10 rated guys. Backstrom is supposed to by my rookie "sleeper" pick.

Kidhuman
09-22-2007, 07:03 AM
I fell asleep at like 8:30, I forgot all about it. Sorry fellas.

jjreason
09-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Oh, snap. Sorry, jj, but that was me drafting for him. I guess I should've said something. My bad.

But why else would "Nick" have been so excited about the other team's picks?!:p

I should have known, it didn't smell *** enough in there....:D

Say hi to him for me...

CaptainSolo1138
09-22-2007, 09:25 AM
I should have known, it didn't smell *** enough in there....:D

Say hi to him for me...You're absolutely right. The fact that you weren't propositioned for butt sechs should've been your first hint.

I'll be more than happy to send your best along to him.

DarthQuack
09-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Forgot about it too, although I had to do a live show at the time as well, so I never really had a chance.

CaptainSolo1138
09-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I reminded RB about it at around 11:30 last night. He was actually kinda ticked that he missed it, as if the wedding rehearsal he was at was an arbitrary event.:D

BTW, is anyone interested in joining another league? I'm in another custom league, along with KH, and we're currently only at four people. Please let me know if you're interested so I can get the league ID and password to you!

Kidhuman
09-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I know Rogue II said he wanted another league, PM him the stuff.

Rocketboy
09-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Isn't it great having hockey back? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFcMtIHD-Gw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwithleather%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephtm l%3Fstart%3D10)

Also, my brother-in-law and I were trying to get a local Yahoo! fantasy team together, but we're running out of time (the draft is tomorrow). So if anyone else is interested in another league, let me know and I'll send you the info later tonight.

jjreason
09-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Did you see the hit in the Philly Ottawa game last night? Holy schnikes....

http://www.tsn.ca

Click the highlights link....

Rogue II
09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Here is the hit on youtube. The guy will probably be suspended for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322zqTkL0-c

(and I know it is preseason, but Derek Roy had 3 goals and 3 assists against the Leafs tonight.)

Kidhuman
09-26-2007, 10:54 PM
DAMN!!! He got leveled.

Slicker
09-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Holy Carp!!!

I don't see how he can get suspended though. It was vicious but nothing TOO major.

Rogue II
09-27-2007, 02:29 AM
From what I heard, Downie was knocked on his arse just before this play. He didn't want to look "weak" so he went after the first Senator he could find.

After some of the big hits that were not exactly clean last year, the league is trying to crack down on this kind of stuff. Cam Jansen from the Devils took out a Leafs player last year with a hit that wasn't quite as vicious, but still "had the intent to injure". The league is probably going to make an example out of Downie.

So, here is why he will be suspended:

1. McAmmond didn't have the puck
2. Downie left his feet.
3. He went for the head.
4. He got a game misconduct which is an automatic suspension.
5. He had the intent to injure.
6. The idiot has a history of stupid crap like this and is a dirty player. Here is a video of him when he was in the AHL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4RkHbMeqk

I wouldn't be suprised if he gets 15 games. On the other hand, McAmmond should have had his head up instead of watching his pass.

Slicker
09-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Hockey is about hitting though. What with the ratings slipping they should become more lenient as the hits are why some people casually watch it. I'm not saying sacrifice players for ratings but let 'em hit a bit more.

Rogue II
09-27-2007, 09:46 AM
There isn't anything wrong with hitting, but there was no reason for a hit like that. The guy clearly took a run at a defenseless player. And if they let that kind of stuff slide, it will return to the goon hockey of the 70s. The league is trying to protect the players and wants to promote the speed and skill of the game.

jjreason
09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Look how many strides he took to ramp up for that hit - it was totally premeditated and ugly AND against the rules. You can't skate into a check like that at the best of times (it's a charging penalty), and aiming for the head is a huge no-no. The next time these teams meet, Downie is going to have some 'splaining to do..... with his face.

Rogue II
09-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Both of my other leagues drafted. One of them is huge, 16 teams. I missed the live draft, but had the #1 pick. It isn't head to head and we have to start 4 D-men.

Sidney Crosby C
Mike Modano C
David Legwand C

Jonathan Cheechoo RW
Michael Ryder RW
Miroslav Satan RW

Slava Kozlov LW
Sean Avery LW
Martin Rucinsky LW

Chris Pronger D
Mathieu Schneider D
Ron Hainsey D
Rostislav Klesla D
Andrew Ference D

Manny Legace G
Chris Mason G
Gerald Coleman G (already put him on the waiver wire to pick up either Gerber or Smith from Dallas)

I ended up with Chris Mason on all 3 of my fantasy teams. I hope he doesn't stink it up this year.

Slicker
09-28-2007, 03:59 AM
That's quite a kick arse team you got for not being at the draft!

I agree that he looked to be deliberately aiming for the head which is just wrong.

Kidhuman
09-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Cappy's PAppy's league. I am dropping Scott Niedermayer though, so dont make a stink on it please.

Sidney Crosby C
Daniel Alfredsson RW
Marian Gaborik RW
Jean-Sebastien Giguere G
Niklas Backstrom G
Marc Savard C
Milan Hejduk RW
Paul Stastny C
Scott Niedermayer D
Andy McDonald C
Keith Tkachuk LW
Jason Blake LW
Justin Williams RW
Mathieu Schneider D
Kari Lehtonen G
Zdeno Chara D
Jay Bouwmeester D
Chris Kunitz LW

CaptainSolo1138
09-28-2007, 03:46 PM
My team in the league KH is referring to. I'm not a fan of small leagues (less competition), but I do love how every team is quality from top to bottom.

C Vincent Lecavalier
C Patrick Marleau
LW Henrik Zetterberg
LW Kristian Huselius
RW Martin St. Louis
RW Steve Sullivan*
LW Ryan Smyth
C Brad Richards
D Dion Phaneuf
D Sheldon Souray
LW Brendan Shanahan
RW Shane Doan**
C Daymond Langkow
C Scott Gomez
LW Erik Cole
G Marc-Andre Fleury
G Tomas Vokoun
G Ray Emery

(*= Put on waivers for Niklas Backstrom, **= Put on waivers for Tomas Kaberle)

Rogue II
09-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I agree that he looked to be deliberately aiming for the head which is just wrong.

It seems the league agrees. 20 game suspension.

DarthQuack
09-28-2007, 09:43 PM
As Chris Berman and the guys would say on NFL Primetime/Countdown....he got....JACKED UP!!!

CaptainSolo1138
09-29-2007, 12:35 AM
20 game suspension.Total BS. It was reckless, illegal and unnecessary, but suspending someone for a quarter of the season to "set and example" is just another means by Bettman of pussifying the NHL.

What's next? An additional penalty for starting a fight? Oh, right...:rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-29-2007, 03:57 PM
It seems the league has tolerated scores of headshots from the past few years, with many of them going unpunished. The only difference is that Downie leaves his feet.

Downie is a minor league scrub who drew the ire of the Canadian media because of a reckless hit that injured an Ottawa Senator (a team full of cheap players who fire pucks at players and concuss NHL captains). Fine. If they come down on him hard, then they must keep the consistency in any future rulings of similar hits. Something tells me though Colin Campbell won't.

Rogue II
09-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Total BS. It was reckless, illegal and unnecessary, but suspending someone for a quarter of the season to "set and example" is just another means by Bettman of pussifying the NHL.

What's next? An additional penalty for starting a fight? Oh, right...:rolleyes:

During the off season, NHL Officials, GMs, and Coaches determined certain criteria for illegal hits and suspensions. Downie met all of those criteria, except for having a prior history in the NHL (only because he is a rookie). There were some people that thought the suspension should have been longer, including other players. The spokesman said they don't want to discourage hitting, just get rid of illegal hits.

Next year, the league is going to reduce the size of the player's shoulder pads & elbow pads in an attempt to reduce injuries from hits. This actually makes sense if you look how big pads were prior to the 90s and compare them to what they wear now.

By the way, the Duck's GM is trying to reduce the instigator rule in order to protect players. It will let the enforcers make cheap shot artists pay for their actions.

CaptainSolo1138
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Outstanding research, RII. I wasn't aware of any of that.

I still think Bettman is an ***, though. He's trying to eliminate the games roughness, he's all but made it impossible for anyone to be a regular ol' "goon" ("Tie Domi" goon, not "Todd Bertuzzi" goon) and he's eliminated rules in order to speed up the game (which I'm a fan of, but that's beside the point).

Did anyone happen to catch "Hockey Night (Day?) in Canada" this afternoon? It was the opener from London, England. There was a big to-do about how Gary Bettman is toying with the notion of expanding the NHL to Europe. Gee, I wonder why all of these rules have been put in place to benefit quick squirrley guys? I don't know. I'm sure it has nothing to do with appealing to the European markets where these quick squirrley guys come from.

If that is truly Bettman's intention, God save us all. The man can't make a team work in Phoenix, yet he thinks he's going to have success in Tajikstan? Yeah, good luck with that, pal.

Rogue II
09-29-2007, 09:25 PM
XM Radio has the NHL channel. Colin Cambell was on Friday talking about the suspension and what they plan on doing next year. He said they actually took the new equipment to the NHLPA prior to the season, but they don't want to do anything with it until after this season.

I don't think anyone believes that NHL in Europe is feasible. Teams complain about the travel schedule now. Bettman is an idiot. Can't wait until he is gone. The good news is that they will probably change the schedule format for next year so that every team plays against each other at least twice.

The guys who own the LA Kings are the company that built the arena in London. That is why the game is there. They have also built the new stadium in Kansas City and are building one in Vegas behind Harrah's. Both Vegas and KC are trying to lure an NBA or NHL team. Now Bettman supposedly wants to start playing the season opener in Europe every year.

Rocketboy
09-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Overall I'm pretty happy with my picks in all three leagues, especially since I missed every draft.

In Cappy's league I've got:
C Joe Thornton
C Olli Jokinen
LW Henrik Zetterberg
LW Slava Kozlov
RW Steve Sullivan
RW Bill Guerin
D Sergei Gonchar
D Alexi Zhitnik
D Philippe Boucher
C Johnathan Toews
RW Jaime Langenbrunner
C Brad Boyes
D Shae Weber
LW Martin Erat
G Niklas Backstrom
G Tomas Vokoun

jjreason
09-30-2007, 12:42 AM
The only way the NHL could expand to Europe would be to have a separate, sanctioned "Champions League" over there (like they do with soccer - the best teams from each country have a tourny), then play those winners off against our Stanley Cup champs for a World Hockey Championship. They could borrow the Inter-League play from MLB, but really water it down so that each year half the teams would have to go over for a month and play a chunk of their schedule over there - and vice versa, bring Skoda from Sweden or Dynamo from Moscow over to play a chunk of theirs here.

They sure as hell can't have teams flying over and back every other month, but one trip per team every 2 years might work alright.

Kidhuman
10-17-2007, 07:26 AM
I still cant believe that Yahoo counts the most PIM as the winner. Its a bad thing damn it, the less wins. I am seriously thinking about dropping the category next year in the league(if I do it)

CaptainSolo1138
10-17-2007, 07:50 AM
I still cant believe that Yahoo counts the most PIM as the winner. Its a bad thing damn it, the less wins. I am seriously thinking about dropping the category next year in the league(if I do it)Its not necessarily a bad thing. The way I see it is that it encourages you to actually employ defensmen. Their scoring rarely has an impact so why not have a category that they will have an effect on?

I'm not a huge fan of it in general, though, and it wouldn't break my heart if the category disappeared next year and was replaced with another offensive one, though.

Rogue II
10-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't care if you are a blackhawks fan or not, this is an awesome goal. And the kid is a rookie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVPIH71ibcc

pegger
10-20-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't care if you are a blackhawks fan or not, this is an awesome goal. And the kid is a rookie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVPIH71ibcc

Where is that guy from???

Oh yeah - a city that the NHL abandoned...and won't go back to....

hmmm...

CaptainSolo1138
10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
The SSG league is my only one where I don't have Toews (pronounced "Taves"). I usually don't get excited about rookies, especially in hockey (for every Sidney Crosby there's two Eric Dazes) but I gotta give the kid some credit: Within 24 hours, he scores THE goal of the season and has been mentioned on the extremely biased (but its a Leafs bias, so its OK) HNIC no less than a dozen times. Granted, the Leafs are playing the Hawks tonight, but even Don Cherry was impressed.

CaptainSolo1138
11-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Mr. Sheldon Souray and Mr. Pavel Kubina,

Thanks for the great D! You guys are making Martin Havlat look like Jack Lalane.

Eat it,
Adam

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-17-2007, 11:05 AM
For the first time that I can remember, in any fantasy league, I have been first for a consistently long time. And I owe it all to Henrik Lundquivst. That bastage is a shutout king! But it's little consolation knowing that my favorite NHL team, Buffalo, was in last place in the Eastern Conference a year after finishing first in the league overall. Now excuse me while I swallow this bag of broken glass.

CaptainSolo1138
11-18-2007, 10:00 AM
For the first time that I can remember, in any fantasy league, I have been first for a consistently long time. And I owe it all to Henrik Lundquivst.He seems to be one of the only bright spots in terms of goaltending this year. Toskala in Toronto, Hasek in Detroit, Emery in Ottawa, Norrena in Columbus, Fleury in Pittsburgh, Roloson in Edmonton and even Kiprussof in Calgary to an extent are all top 20 starters who've struggled this year. Having someone like Lundqvist seems to be especially valuable this year when #1 goalies are seeing more and more bench time.

But it's little consolation knowing that my favorite NHL team, Buffalo, was in last place in the Eastern Conference a year after finishing first in the league overall. Now excuse me while I swallow this bag of broken glass.The good news is that Drury isn't producing for the Rangers as I'm sure they expected he would. Small consolation considering what that Briere fella is doing in Philly, but its gotta be worth saomething, right?:)

Kidhuman
04-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Congrats to Rogue II on winning on of the 2 hockey leaues we were in. I cant congratulate the other league winner, it would feel weird patting myself on the back.

No it doesnt.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Well played, guys. I think I ended up pretty well, considering I played KH for the league championship in one league and, as manager of Slick's team, played R2 in the other league. My third league I won outright, literally going wire-to-wire in first place and them winning the championship 9-0. :can'twaitfornextyear:

Slicker
04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Man, I put in a great season but came up short. I enjoyed changing my roster on a daily basis though. :thumbsup: ;)