PDA

View Full Version : Luke's lightsaber in space?

Tycho
08-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Does anyone else find this corny? A stormtrooper send-off and everything for the space shuttle mission, and carrying Luke's lightsaber up and back? :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm in a bad mood right now, but I'm shaking my head and rolling my eyes over this one.

bigbarada
08-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Yes. Very, very lame.:rolleyes:

It would have been cooler if they had just named the next Space Shuttle The Executor.:D

Blue2th
08-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Yup, I think they are getting a little carried away with this publicity stunt.
The original lightsaber isn't some holy relic is it?
I would've rather seen two astronaughts fight in zero gravity with two electronic lightsabers.
Maybe one of them could be in a astro-diaper.

BountyHunterScum
08-29-2007, 02:16 AM
According to the news they are going to toss the lightsaber out into space. If that is true they are very stupid. They'll never get it back because A it will fall into a star, B burn up in a planet's atmosphere or C get nailed by a comet or asteroid. D be discovered by an alien then transformed into a real lightsaber then they come gunning for us. :D

CaptainSolo1138
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Dumb, dumb, dumb. Yet another embarrassing day to be a SW fan and another reason I'm moving farther and farther away from SW.

JediTricks
08-30-2007, 02:09 AM
They're not tossing it into space, they're taking it up and bringing it back down, putting it on display, then eventually giving it back to Lucas.

I'm super annoyed by them taking the dopey ROTJ Luke stunt saber for this, it's the wrong movie's saber and it's not even the hero version of the prop, it's a reworked version of an Obi-Wan ANH saber that's not accurate to anything anymore.

Tycho
08-30-2007, 02:47 AM
Um, why is this supposedly cool anyhow?

JediTricks
08-30-2007, 04:02 AM
Not a lot of things get a free ride into space, it's a friggin' honor that Star Wars is seen as so important that it gets celebrated in such a way. Every millimeter of space and gram of weight is of vital importance on a shuttle mission, so it's not just like they threw it in the back of a U-haul and drove it to the grand canyon.

Tycho
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Well the shuttle took Lisa Nowak over the deep end :D

Still, the lightsaber is kind of like a big waste of time to me. If one of the astronauts is a rabid SW fan and wants it to go with him, OK. Then it should be THAT astronaut's show I guess. But for NASA to make a big deal out of this? OK, I get the Post Office thing. And if the 501st wants to gather together and have a convention of sorts to watch a shuttle lift-off or landing, I get that too.

But I don't get what it's about to take the darn saber up and back. It's just a prop. What would be cooler is if a couple of the astronaughts took MR's FX sabers with them up there and put to video a lightsaber fight in zero-g. I'd watch that!

Blue2th
08-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Well the shuttle took Lisa Nowak over the deep end :D

What would be cooler is if a couple of the astronaughts took MR's FX sabers with them up there and put to video a lightsaber fight in zero-g. I'd watch that!

I wanna see Lisa Nowak and her rival in a "Duel of the Fates" in diapers of course.

Watch some late-night comedy show make this skit.

I can't believe they're bringing the lightsaber back. I think that Scotty needs one for protection in the underworld...er..underspace. Though they should've given him a phaser.

Tycho
08-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Speaking of Scotty, it reminded me that Gene Roddenberry's ashes are floating around out there as well.

What are aliens going to think if they ever per chance visit earth?

Next we need to put Britney's hair in orbit, too. At least then it will catch up to the rest of her.

JediTricks
08-31-2007, 01:14 AM
When the AMPAS (the "oscars" academy) gave Lucas his Irving Thalberg "body of work" achievement award, it was from the cabin of the space shuttle Atlantis in orbit where they had a satellite uplink showing the crew with his award. It's an honor to be considered so special that this sort of frivolity can be spent by the taxpayers. It has meaning to those involved, and that's what counts. Star Wars is one of the things that reignited America's interest in space travel during its waning days in the '70s.

Tycho
08-31-2007, 02:11 AM
Star Wars is one of the things that reignited America's interest in space travel during its waning days in the '70s.

Ah, yes: outer space. A new place to look for hidden weapons of mass destruction.

BountyHunterScum
09-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Take this into space and let it float around in zero gravity with the lights on. I would but I wouldn't tell anyone.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/DMC10205.jpg

BountyHunterScum
09-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Dumb, dumb, dumb. Yet another embarrassing day to be a SW fan and another reason I'm moving farther and farther away from SW.

It's easy to move away from SW now since all the merchandise is repetitive and SW has become extremely boring to me minus Slave Leia. She'll never get boring.

Blue2th
09-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Take this into space and let it float around in zero gravity with the lights on. I would but I wouldn't tell anyone.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/DMC10205.jpg

Now that would be something worthwhile. :thumbsup: Better yet one of those MR Replicas all lit up. That would be totally cool. Especially one signed by the remaining cast.

BountyHunterScum
09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Now that would be something worthwhile. :thumbsup: Better yet one of those MR Replicas all lit up. That would be totally cool. Especially one signed by the remaining cast.

Heck yeah, the drawback about the studio scale 1701 is it's size, that thing is like nearly 3 feet long. It also has to be plugged in. The toy theoretically could have yellow mini LEDs creating the spinning effect in the warp engines while having blue and green lights in there. Could also have low voltage motors in both nacelles spinning a clear inner dome thing with a clear shaft in the middle so it doesn't block light.

JediTricks
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
sadly, the extreme cold of space would keep the circuitry and batteries from working, but NASA should spend a few extra bucks to get it going anyway.