PDA

View Full Version : Theatrical Run vs DVD

Rocketboy
08-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I've heard numerous times in the past that a film's theatrical run doesn't mean squat to the studios anymore - it's all about the DVD sales these days; that theatrical runs are basically a commercial for the DVD.

Take 300 for example:
The entire 18 week domestic theatrical run - $210,614,939 (boxofficemojo.com (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=300.htm))
The first 3 weeks on DVD, with over 7 million units sold - $160,879,275 (the-numbers.com (http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php)), or 76% of the film's theatrical gross!

Anyone know how accurate the-numbers.com is for DVD sales?
I've looked for DVD sales charts online before and haven't found anything worthwhile (I wish boxofficemojo has DVD sales charts).

If that is true, then HOLY CRAP! I knew DVD sales were BIG business, but to do that much business in that short a period is crazy.

Beast
08-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Yep. It's becoming increasingly true. It has been for quite a while. Especially with the lower budget films that just don't make boffo box office like the big blockbusters. Like you said though, the theatrical release is pretty much a commercial for the eventual DVD. That's why we won't likely move away from theatrical releases anytime soon. But the window from theatrical premiere to DVD debut will continue to shrink.

bigbarada
08-29-2007, 12:28 AM
It makes perfect sense, when I was walking out of seeing 300 for the first time with my friends, their first reaction was, "I can't wait until the DVD comes out!"

I think eventually movies will be released in the theaters, on DVD and in rental stores on the same day. It'd be great for DVD sales on the movies opening weekend, but not so great for repeat business at the theaters.

Theaters will still always be around, though, because it's still a good way to spend a night out and a great place for parents to take their kids to keep them occupied for a couple of hours.

Plus even the largest plasma screen TVs don't match up to the size of an average movie theater screen. So it will always be a larger than life experience that your middle and working-class families just won't be able to replicate at home.

Rocketboy
08-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Especially with the lower budget films that just don't make boffo box office like the big blockbusters.This is pretty much why I created this topic. I was curious as to how much money Serenity made theatrically and if it were considered profitable. The movie's budget was $39 million and it grossed $38.8 million worldwide. Of course that is a negative profit...theatrically.
When the DVD sales are figured into the equation Serenity was definitely a success. And the fact that the Special Edition was just released means the first DVD sold very well, which had to move the movie's gross well above the profitable line.
With the deadline for Universal's decision to greenlight a sequel fast approaching and hanging on Serenity's profitability, I was really curious to see if I should get my hopes up.

I want another big damn adventure in the 'verse!

"I can't wait until the DVD comes out!"I can't tell you how many times I've said that!

I think eventually movies will be released in the theaters, on DVD and in rental stores on the same day.It has been tried already and it failed, but that could be because the movie apparently sucked.

JediTricks
08-30-2007, 01:56 AM
I've heard numerous times in the past that a film's theatrical run doesn't mean squat to the studios anymore - it's all about the DVD sales these days; that theatrical runs are basically a commercial for the DVD.

Take 300 for example:
The entire 18 week domestic theatrical run - $210,614,939 (boxofficemojo.com (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=300.htm))
The first 3 weeks on DVD, with over 7 million units sold - $160,879,275 (the-numbers.com (http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php)), or 76% of the film's theatrical gross!

Anyone know how accurate the-numbers.com is for DVD sales?
I've looked for DVD sales charts online before and haven't found anything worthwhile (I wish boxofficemojo has DVD sales charts).

If that is true, then HOLY CRAP! I knew DVD sales were BIG business, but to do that much business in that short a period is crazy.Back in the day when I was reading the trade mags for this stuff, it was units sold to retailers, not to customers. Occasionally, there'd be a DVD that stores would order crazy huge numbers of but didn't sell that well and there'd be hundreds of thousands left over.

With Serenity, I think the sales would have to be really high to see a sequel unfortunately because the studio doesn't have faith in the series.